• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

LordCanti

Best part was that Nui was nowhere to be seen this episode.

Now, if they could write out her and Nonon entirely, I will be happy.

Nui's utility as someone that would show up as a surprise is completely wasted now. I don't hate her as a character, but having her pop up the very next episode was such a waste.

Step away from Big Hat Loli though....

cntr

Banned
I don't want Senketsu written out, I like Senketsu.

Edit:
Ryuko getting the god uniform back is like Simon lugging around Kamina's head in a jar until he could find a new body for him. Once you remove the crutch, the crutch needs to stay removed.

My hope is that Senketsu will be truly gone before the new opening, but if there's one thing KLK does well, it's to disappoint.

It would be more like Simon deciding to abandon Lagann after it stops working for him. Not going to happen.

LordCanti

Ryuko needs to get shanked and left in a puddle, whereupon Mako shows up, takes the pieces of Senketsu, and then shanks Satsuki (but doesn't kill her) and completes the suit. Ryuko and Satsuki would spend the rest of the show in a hospital while Mako would row row fight the power with Nudist Beach. The title screen would now read "Mako la Mako"

Ryuko needs to get shanked and left in a puddle, whereupon Mako shows up, takes the pieces of Senketsu, and then shanks Satsuki (but doesn't kill her) and completes the suit. Ryuko and Satsuki would spend the rest of the show in a hospital while Mako would row row fight the power with Nudist Beach. The title screen would now read "Mako la Mako"

you want them to pull a Raiden?
but with an anime?

DonMigs85

you want them to pull a Raiden?
but with an anime?

Metal_Gear_Solid_(PSX)_38.png

Dresden

It would be more like Simon deciding to abandon Lagann after it stops working for him. Not going to happen.

One's a tool, the other is a companion.

Nobody wants to axe Senketsu

We just don't want Ryuko to wear him :)

He can tag along as commentary or some shit :0

tbh I'd be okay with him staying a scarf or something, as long as the thong uniform doesn't come back. But with how overt this ep was about her taking schmucks out on her own, and how Ryuko as a character desperately needs some motivation outside of being manipulated by every other entity in the show, killing him for real would be pretty convenient.

Of course, this should've happened a long time ago but KLK.

Moonlight

Banned
If Senketsu dies for real, the pacing is gonna throw me off super-hard again. Not because I'd feel it shouldn't have happened, but because that'd be scattering around stuff that... really would not have needed to be scattered. Like, what was the point of ending episode 12 on a dud when Nui dices him up in the next episode where not a lot of other stuff happens? What'd be the point of all this stuff about recollecting pieces of Senketsu if he'll die next episode anyways? It's stuff that feels appropriate but they're just placed really oddly and it more or less blunts the impact of everything. I don't want to say I didn't enjoy this episode, and even last episode a lot, because I really did, it's just really weird. I don't think I've seen this problem in a whole lot of other shows I've seen.

Crocodile

What I don't understand about the Senkestu blood lust being expressed here is how then does Ryuko stand up to any of the big players in the show without it? When
Kamina dies
in TTGL, the Lagann itself didn't stop being a hax machine and Simon's fighting ability wasn't impaired (once he got out of his slump). This comparison doesn't work 1 to 1 between the shows.

Dresden

If Senketsu dies for real, the pacing is gonna throw me off super-hard again. Not because I'd feel it shouldn't have happened, but because that'd be scattering around stuff that... really would not have needed to be scattered. Like, what was the point of ending episode 12 on a dud when Nui dices him up in the next episode where not a lot of other stuff happens? What'd be the point of all this stuff about recollecting pieces of Senketsu if he'll die next episode anyways? It's stuff that feels appropriate but they're just placed really oddly and it more or less blunts the impact of everything. I don't want to say I didn't enjoy this episode, and even last episode a lot, because I really did, it's just really weird. I don't think I've seen this problem in a whole lot of other shows I've seen.

It's just a messy show. Watching something like Yamato alongside it makes it even clearer. There's a lack of careful scripting, no events that logically influence the next.

What I don't understand about the Senkestu blood lust being expressed here is how then does Ryuko stand up to any of the big players in the show without it? When
Kamina dies
in TTGL, the Lagann itself didn't stop being a hax machine and Simon's fighting ability wasn't impaired (once he got out of his slump). This comparison doesn't work 1 to 1 between the shows.

No, see, they finally do something with her weird eyes.

LordCanti

I don't think Senketsu is going anywhere. If anything, he's like
Boota
from TTGL, waiting to be turned into a real boy or something. Or maybe he's the Genome of this show, waiting to
sit on her shoulder as a scarf forever and give her advice.

Ryuko's already got her Dad to avenge. Adding in her kamui (who happens to kinda be her Dad probably) wouldn't really...I don't know. It wouldn't be that impactful.

Dresden

Sorry but I'm not following. What's weird about Ryuko's eyes? How does that answer my question? Am I missing something?

You asked 'how then does Ryuko stand up to any of the big players in the show without it,' and that was my answer. Did you never think it odd that she's the only one in the show with such a mechanical design for eyes? You can build off something like that. We've already seen characters who are powerful without a god uniform. She'll need to get to that level at some point, with or without Senketsu.

To address your other point, don't say that the comparison doesn't work 1 to 1 between the shows when your counterpoint depends on that very same comparison.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
One reason Senketsu is not going anywhere is he is still important to that larger narrative playing out, the clothes, life fibers, nudist rebellion deal that has not been played out yet, but I would imagine if the turn is to be coming in the next couple of episodes, it will be at forefront soon.

Dresden

Ryuko's already got her Dad to avenge. Adding in her kamui (who happens to kinda be her Dad probably) wouldn't really...I don't know. It wouldn't be that impactful.

Nah, it'd hit with more heft than whatever the dead father stuff did, which happened pre-show and off-screen. At this point she's not even concerned about it anymore.

I don't think it'd save the show, but I do think it'd be better than what will probably happen, as in, she wraps up the cloth collectathon, god uniform rebuilt, fights Satsuki, Nui interrupts the fight, etc. Eh.

LordCanti

They should let me write this thing. Mako and Ryuko would come back from the trip to find that the entire Mankanshoku clan had been turned into banshi by Nui and inserted into Ragyo's lingerie.

I need my villains to do comically villainous shit dammit!

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Well if Ryuko has to take on the extremely overpowered Satsuki next episode without Senketsu and next episode is supposed to be a climax of sorts, either She'll beat her with no other reason except the "Strength I have because something I want is so close" which is kind of a cop out, or they will finally show the secret of the body (maybe having something to do with her eyes) which I think gives Nui, nudist beach, and Satsuki's mom their power. Then with the combined body and clothes strength have the power to last the rest of the show.

Crocodile

You asked 'how then does Ryuko stand up to any of the big players in the show without it,' and that was my answer. Did you never think it odd that she's the only one in the show with such a mechanical design for eyes? You can build off something like that. We've already seen characters who are powerful without a god uniform. She'll need to get to that level at some point, with or without Senketsu.

To address your other point, don't say that the comparison doesn't work 1 to 1 between the shows when your counterpoint depends on that very same comparison.

I wasn't following before because I wasn't sure what you were getting to but now that you've clarified I understand - you're suggesting that aspects of her character design suggest she may not be (at least entirely) human which could make up the difference in the loss of Senketsu to continue fighting the stronger adversaries. Gotcha. That's certainly a direction that they could have gone. I'm not sure if the groundwork has been laid out well enough to go that way as of right now though. But as I've been watching this weekly rather than through a marathon, there are tons of things I could have forgotten.

I'm still not sure what's up with the Nui character which is the only example of a character that has been able to stand up to a uniformed character without one herself. Given what she's displayed I don't think she should be able to beat Satsuki & Junketsu or Nononon's crazy outfit sans some trickery but I get the feeling we are supposed to believe that she can? I'd be more comfortable with axing Senketsu if I could map out in my head how Ryuko matches up to and surpasses Nui in combat sans Senketsu logically (or at least within the logic of this crazy universe).

I dunno, I'm not opposed to Senketsu dying or what not but there seems to be a trending thought of "why won't this character just die already" and "they should just do that thing they did in that other show because it ended up working out pretty well". I don't think I agree that his death is absolutely required or automatically makes the show X times better.

My apologies if I've agitated you (I could be misreading your tone though). That was not my intent :(

LordCanti

Well if Ryuko has to take on the extremely overpowered Satsuki next episode without Senketsu and next episode is supposed to be a climax of sorts, either She'll beat her with no other reason except the "Strength I have because something I want is so close" which is kind of a cop out, or they will finally show the secret of the body (maybe having something to do with her eyes) which I think gives Nui, nudist beach, and Satsuki's mom their power. Then with the combined body and clothes strength have the power to last the rest of the show.

My money is on her eyes turning like gears, stars appearing on her back and her hair turning rainbow colored.

Clone la Clone

FluxWaveZ

Former sounds way more likely. Bonus points for Mako and Aikuro lending support that gives Ryuko the strength to break through Satsuki's defense.

Dresden

I dunno, I'm not opposed to Senketsu dying or what not but there seems to be a trending thought of "why won't this character just die already" and "they should just do that thing they did in that other show because it ended up working out pretty well". I don't think I agree that his death is absolutely required or automatically makes the show X times better.

You know, I'm not asking for it to be TTGL, I just wish that it was as solidly constructed. Lagann always had a pretty solid goal for the characters, one that was predicated around the things they had lost. We lack something like that here - the problem, really, is that by setting up the show as it is, where the heroine is on a mission for truth/revenge, it gives the appearance of following a similar arc, but there's no real loss within the show, no need for the protagonists to deal with anything other than the frivolities tossed at them every other episode. After all, whatever setback they suffer is quickly reversed and rendered trivial by the end of the next showing. The thing which should drive her is mostly forgotten; it holds no importance for either her or the viewer. And when the show tries to incite some emotion, it's mostly a swing and a miss for me, because of the dissonance between what it tries to invoke and what it is capable of doing so, as in, just about nothing. There's quite a bit of screaming, but it's all just noise.

So there's a certain amount of impatience when something appears to be gone, but isn't, and it feels like another episode was wasted again in a show already suffering from pacing issues (<-- referring to 13, obviously). There's an opportunity to give her that, and to shake up the status quo, by creating a motivation where there was none. A loss she cannot recover from by sleeping overnight at nippleman's place, and from which she must recover or lose, irrevocably. Create some real stakes beyond the trivialities imposed before. We see glimpses of that in the newest episode, but I don't think they'll carry through because my expectations hit the bottom a while back and never recovered and all I'm asking for is to just stop with the ugly stripper outfits.

My apologies if I've agitated you (I could be misreading your tone though). That was not my intent :(

I think you misread me. :( No need for apologies.

super2j

Neo Member
when Mako told that guy to shoot her, I was hoping she would continue being beast and that all the other students would start rallying around her. And her random movements for food were coincidentally a path leading to actual success of the mission.

Link Man

Banned
Enjoyed this episode a lot, found myself laughing quite a bit. I've given up on looking for any deeper meaning, and am just along for the ride now.

I was happy with this episode, my biggest relief was that I thought it was going to be one episode per district. I'm so glad it wasn't.

when Mako told that guy to shoot her, I was hoping she would continue being beast and that all the other students would start rallying around her. And her random movements for food were coincidentally a path leading to actual success of the mission.

I also thought that this is what was going to happen.

Loving the Osaka stuff. As somebody who lived there for a while, all the merchant stuff and especially the network of old grannies rang totally true in a hilarious way.

Crocodile

You know, I'm not asking for it to be TTGL, I just wish that it was as solidly constructed. Lagann always had a pretty solid goal for the characters, one that was predicated around the things they had lost. We lack something like that here - the problem, really, is that by setting up the show as it is, where the heroine is on a mission for truth/revenge, it gives the appearance of following a similar arc, but there's no real loss within the show, no need for the protagonists to deal with anything other than the frivolities tossed at them every other episode. After all, whatever setback they suffer is quickly reversed and rendered trivial by the end of the next showing. The thing which should drive her is mostly forgotten; it holds no importance for either her or the viewer. And when the show tries to incite some emotion, it's mostly a swing and a miss for me, because of the dissonance between what it tries to invoke and what it is capable of doing so, as in, just about nothing. There's quite a bit of screaming, but it's all just noise.

So there's a certain amount of impatience when something appears to be gone, but isn't, and it feels like another episode was wasted again in a show already suffering from pacing issues (<-- referring to 13, obviously). There's an opportunity to give her that, and to shake up the status quo, by creating a motivation where there was none. A loss she cannot recover from by sleeping overnight at nippleman's place, and from which she must recover or lose, irrevocably. Create some real stakes beyond the trivialities imposed before. We see glimpses of that in the newest episode, but I don't think they'll carry through because my expectations hit the bottom a while back and never recovered and all I'm asking for is to just stop with the ugly stripper outfits.

I think you misread me. :( No need for apologies.

Ah ok good. It's so hard for me to tell online. I'm often paranoid about how my posts are perceived as well.

As for your major points, I can't say I disagree and I appreciate your concerns/disappointments. I'm still enjoying the show quite a bit but a nonzero number of balls have been dropped so far.

A-V-B

A lot of fun to watch. Glad getting Senketsu back didn't take five episodes or something.

I just hope this series really starts to up the stakes now and really focus on a particularly worthwhile arc. Don't lose your way, show!

It's kinda dumb for a show that's purposely going so over the top with the action scenes like Kill la Kill but... even here I find myself not really caring about the battles much because everything can happen at any point.

There aren't really any rules or limitations as to what a character can pull off. So while I can enjoy the ludicrous spectacle I can't empathize much with the characters during those fights. Ryuko may get completely destroyed and then just suddenly slice the opponent to pieces with, more often than not, a laughable explanation.

In this episode she can apparently just cut the Senketsu suit pieces out of everyone in no time, without being powered up by her suit.

This also makes it really hard to appreciate some of the plot points. For instance, I'm kinda glad Ryuko isn't chasing the suit parts for several episodes now. But how they achieve that... eh. Made all this hardly even matter in the first place, apart from the piece left on Satsuki.

7Th

I dunno why people think that the war is done and behind when since episode 13 they've said that
it was always just bait for Nudist Beach. That's the obvious reason upgraded 3-Star Uniforms haven't been used even if you can see Sanageyama's in the preview.

Either way;
Senketsu will "die" but Ryuuko will keep the stripper costume.

Evilisk

IIn this episode she can apparently just cut the Senketsu suit pieces out of everyone in no time, without being powered up by her suit.

There's a small bit in episode 1 where she's shown to be able at least defend herself against 1-star students even before she got Senketsu.

Combine that with her opportunistic hit and run tactic for the episode, and the large amount of practice she's had with the Scissor Blade at this point, and the only thing that should be surprising is Ryuuko somehow being a day behind the Battle Field Trip yet still managing to catch up and reach all 3 schools in one day.

Honestly if this episode was supposed to highlight how strong she's become since episode 1, it didn't do a very good job. She could have had at least 1 proper fight between her and a powered up Goku Uniform student, rather than having her sneaking up on everybody.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
There's a small bit in episode 1 where she's shown to be able at least defend herself against 1-star students even before she got Senketsu.

Combine that with her opportunistic hit and run tactic for the episode, and the large amount of practice she's had with the Scissor Blade at this point, and the only thing that should be surprising is Ryuuko somehow being a day behind the Battle Field Trip yet still managing to catch up and reach all 3 schools in one day.

Honestly if this episode was supposed to highlight how strong she's become since episode 1, it didn't do a very good job. She could have had at least 1 proper fight between her and a powered up Goku Uniform student, rather than having her sneaking up on everybody.

Kyoto, Osaka, and Kobe really aren't that far from Tokyo. Assuming she's going anime speed (about 200 mph or so) she could easily leave by morning and get there by noon. Plus all three are quite close together.

Top Bottom