• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Can anyone recommend a good tips/tutorial video?

I'm gonna check out this max video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJWMF0N1zcE

But if there's better or others to peep I'd like to see them.

I would recommend watching Max's week of with whatever character youre choosing to use. You'll get a lot of ideas how to play them after that. Also id recommend watching tournies too. A lot you can learn from them

As a side note, i love how the KI community is excited about the PC release as it is good for the KI community and its growth while the console warriors is just looking at it as a list war xD

Wow the amount of people in the Topanga chat still talking about how interesting Killer Instinct was last night is pretty amazing. Time to do a bit more Japanese promotion??

.la1n

Wow the amount of people in the Topanga chat still talking about how interesting Killer Instinct was last night is pretty amazing. Time to do a bit more Japanese promotion??

It wouldn't hurt to do something, it's not very often Japanese players pay attention to American made fighting games. Much less one on a system I doubt anyone in Japan cared about owning.

Synth

It wouldn't hurt to do something, it's not very often Japanese players pay attention to American made fighting games. Much less one on a system I doubt anyone in Japan cared about owning.

They should try deploying some Killer Instinct arcade machines imo.

Whoa really? That's awesome to hear and I can see why after yesterday's awesome set of matches lol. Also seeing a Japanese player in Top 8 was pretty crazy and Domi definitely was a crowd favorite with his wicked Cinder and crazy combos.....dat Bomb Loop yo. Sucks that he had to fight Bass since I wanted both of them to get farther and his lost to LCD was saddening since imo, it would brought even more hype imo seeing a Japanese player getting high in Top 8 in a American made game. With PC release next year, hopefully we'll see a surge of more players from different countries! :D

They had a similar reaction to MKX as well. Some general interest due to the characters (seems like Japan likes monster-ish characters apart from the normal fighter tropes, Reptile seemed to go over really well with them) but some reservations about the mechanics since they did not know much about them. Though there was a Japanese chatter explaining the general mechanics of KI and MKX for people which helped a lot of people get into it a bit more.

I'm sure a few had their hopes dashed a bit to find out the only way to get MKX in Japan was Steam or import from China/Korea, which is weird even though there is a sizeable steam presence in Japan these days. But hopefully it will draw people over there towards the few KI streams on Nico and what not, same for the eventual PC release.

Just hit Killer rank and kinda feel like I shouldn't be here. I usually get bodied by higher ranking players.

Oh well, just gonna have to learn from more losses I guess

Pretty common feeling among people that reach Killer honestly. It's a big reason why I don't play KI much anymore. Still hoping they make some changes to the ranking system sometime soonish.

.la1n

They should try deploying some Killer Instinct arcade machines imo.

Would be a great idea but not sure Microsoft wants to back such an endeavor. They seem pretty content staying away from the Japanese market after lost money during the 360 era.

Synth

Would be a great idea but not sure Microsoft wants to back such an endeavor. They seem pretty content staying away from the Japanese market after lost money during the 360 era.

Yea, but I mean. the game's getting a PC port. The machine would basically just be one of those budget PC builds with the game on a disc like recent Sega offerings. I can't imagine it would require much at all, and would help grow the scene, not just in Japan, but globally. Arcades are still the arena of the FGC, and so simply having the game in those environments would make people more likely to give it a look I'd think.

The Flash

Banned
http://xboxclips.com/oI+Mack+Io/c4745042-091a-408d-84da-272d5198027b

I had literally a hair worth of health left and managed to pull this off against a glacius tonight in ranked. We were 1 a piece and this just shows why this game gets my blood pumping

f7f.gif

Do we know when that new shirt will be available?

Dai101

Banned

Well, contrary to the US (and pretty much everywhere) arcades in Japan are still alive and well. Also the more recent titles run in PC based hardware so is not that hard to adapt with the upcoming PC release.

So, I decided to try out Cinder after playing Hisako for a day. Concept wise, I completely love Hisako. But she's definitely hard.. but I can see she could be really trouble when somebody has a full grasp of her.

So with Cinder.. god I love him too. I sort of simply go through the characters and go along with it, but is Cinder the only character with 'normal strings?' it seems like I can use any form of punch multiple times and then cancel it into an opener. Something that I absolutely couldn't with Hisako, am I completely wrong in this or is it really Cinder's shtick?

So with Hisako I am constantly relying on using a JIP or the mix-up special to open people up (not finding great success with the counters yet). I also heard her normal grab can be used to setup a combo, how exactly?

Any help is much appreciated :)

Cinder's three hit punch string (which is what I think you're referring to) is unique to him.

For Hisako, usually best to play a footsie/defense based game and pick your openings depending on who you play against. Counter hits are essentially free entry into combos because the opponent will be stunned for so long. If your opponent just blocks constantly then use Influence or Possession to punish them for it. Even if they jump out of the pull from Possession you can cancel it into a counter if they try to jump in with an attack, provided you have the wrath.

For her normal grab, you can chain it into a combo with a light or medium manual, although light is much easier. Just a matter of timing and practice but I suck at manuals and I'm able to do it so just try it out in practice mode.

You can also go directly into combo through Influence, which is her quarter circle + back command grab, but only if you have full wrath meter.

Cinder's three hit punch string (which is what I think you're referring to) is unique to him.

For Hisako, usually best to play a footsie/defense based game and pick your openings depending on who you play against. Counter hits are essentially free entry into combos because the opponent will be stunned for so long. If your opponent just blocks constantly then use Influence or Possession to punish them for it. Even if they jump out of the pull from Possession you can cancel it into a counter if they try to jump in with an attack, provided you have the wrath.

For her normal grab, you can chain it into a combo with a light or medium manual, although light is much easier. Just a matter of timing and practice but I suck at manuals and I'm able to do it so just try it out in practice mode.

You can also go directly into combo through Influence, which is her quarter circle + back command grab, but only if you have full wrath meter.

Cheers! Yeah, so it's in fact Cinder's gimmick. I am actually surprised how smooth KI feels so far, granted the 'Killer' ranked guys in my placements absolutely smashed me, but still. As much as I love MK, with KI it actually feels like I am fighting my opponent rather than fighting the game or the netcode.

Would you reckon the game's online is active enough to warrant buying an arcade stick for it? There's a non-existant local scene here and no one in my immediate circles that play video games, so I am kinda dependent on the online aspect.

Cheers! Yeah, so it's in fact Cinder's gimmick. I am actually surprised how smooth KI feels so far, granted the 'Killer' ranked guys in my placements absolutely smashed me, but still. As much as I love MK, with KI it actually feels like I am fighting my opponent rather than fighting the game or the netcode.

Would you reckon the game's online is active enough to warrant buying an arcade stick for it? There's a non-existant local scene here and no one in my immediate circles that play video games, so I am kinda dependent on the online aspect.
It's active enough to always find a match I believe. And with the PC version and Season 3 on the way it's only going to get much better. If you enjoy it enough to get an X1 stick I'd say go for it

Killer instinct is a rare game where the online is pretty closely representative of local play, smoothness wise. I think it has a long healthy life ahead of it

I play on pad so not sure I can justify a stick purchase for you based off my own experience but I'll echo what Enter said. The game is still pretty active. Just a couple days ago at the KI panel at EVO they said the numbers are still great. It's only going to get better with the PC release and season 3.

The game's health is very good and should stay that way for a good while so if you're considering a stick purchase that's not something you'll have to worry about.

I play on pad so not sure I can justify a stick purchase for you based off my own experience but I'll echo what Enter said. The game is still pretty active. Just a couple days ago at the KI panel at EVO they said the numbers are still great. It's only going to get better with the PC release and season 3.

The game's health is very good and should stay that way for a good while so if you're considering a stick purchase that's not something you'll have to worry about.

Is the PC version going to be crossplay with the Xbox One version? I ran into the same guy 2/3 times in my ranked matches, so I was curious if I wasn't cycling through a ten player population haha.

It's active enough to always find a match I believe. And with the PC version and Season 3 on the way it's only going to get much better. If you enjoy it enough to get an X1 stick I'd say go for it

Killer instinct is a rare game where the online is pretty closely representative of local play, smoothness wise. I think it has a long healthy life ahead of it

Yeah, I am amazed at how smooth the netplay is.

So, I bought the Hori Hayabusa stick. Excited, as it's going to be my first stick ever.

I mean, pad was working fine, definitely. But I am pretty sure that if I kept playing on it much longer it was going to suffer some serious wear and tear haha.

Doukou

Just saw that sound effect video, kind of amazing to see what they did with Cinder's sounds. I'm also surprised to see that Mick Gordon did the throat singing, I always assumed he hired some guy to do it.

The Flash

Banned
Just saw that sound effect video, kind of amazing to see what they did with Cinder's sounds. I'm also surprised to see that Mick Gordon did the throat singing, I always assumed he hired some guy to do it.

Me too. Mick is talented dude. Can't wait to hear what he does in Doom and S3
hopefully

Speaking of which, who thinks they'll announce something at Gamescom?

vg260

I was listening to some of the KI soundtrack and thought they would be great for Rock Band (even without lyrics).

I'd love to see some or these and/or Street fighter tracks in Rock Band. Maybe exclusive promo DLC for each platform?
You can make song requests here.

Top Bottom