• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

stn

Are there any fightpads I can buy for XB1? Can't stand the d-pad for fighters, also don't want to invest in a stick (tried it once, I'm a d-pad player).

shaowebb

I haven't kept up on this game for PC. Is it only going to run on Windows 10 or have they had a common sense breakthru yet and are gonna release it for all OS users within spec?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I haven't kept up on this game for PC. Is it only going to run on Windows 10 or have they had a common sense breakthru yet and are gonna release it for all OS users within spec?

Almost guaranteed it will be sold exclusively through windows store

Season 1 being free next month is smart.

Heard just now and yeap, really good of them since it's almost Christmas time when there's gonna be a lot of XB1 owners really soon. IG saying January is gonna be exciting for KI fans so I'd expect lots of S3 news next month since it's getting closer to it's released date if it is still scheduled for February release. Free S1 and news of S3 before that? Good move on them.

Also I wonder how much they got done these past few month? They've been pretty in the dark on S3 as a whole so it makes me wonder how much characters will be at launch? I'm personally hoping at least 3-4(Kim Wu, Rash, Tusk and New Character) but I think I'm being a little greedy lol. S1 cast getting some new things also IIRC so I can't wait to see what's changed for S3.

.la1n

At least three at launch I think is a safe bet. No way we get Kim Wu and Tusk in the initial roster though. One of those will be towards the end like Cinder.

At least three at launch I think is a safe bet. No way we get Kim Wu and Tusk in the initial roster though. One of those will be towards the end like Cinder.

I think Kim is definitely coming launch since she's the first teased besides Rash and she's the more wanted one out of the 2 to come back. As for Tusk, I don't mind if he's last like Cinder since I really do wanna see some new KI characters first. Really wanna see what kind of tropes they have in this season and really hope they have a Vampire in this.....a Tengu would be cool also lol.

.la1n

I'd agree with Kim first except you see what happened wth us all thinking Cinder was coming right away last season due to being teased early.

I think Kim is basically guarenteed as a character at launch. I can't wait to see who the other guest character is. I would freak out if it was Edgar from Phantom Dust, his design is just so damned great and would fit in great I think.

Only three characters at launch would be a bit disappointing in my opinion. I'm personally expecting around five or six just because Iron Galaxy will have a lot more time between seasons 2 and 3 than they did between seasons 1 and 2, as well as the fact that they don't have to pick up and learn everything Double Helix was doing like they did last year.

Kim Wu will definitely be in the starting roster of Season 3. I'm expecting at least 3 characters, but if there's one or two more than that then that's perfectly fine with me.
Kim Wu, Rash, 'new character' / 'new character' and Tusk.

Gargos is definitely the last character that'll be shown.

I'd agree with Kim first except you see what happened wth us all thinking Cinder was coming right away last season due to being teased early.

Well, that's Cinder though. He had so much stuff going for him that they wanted to get things right.

Combo Assist Mode is coming

“How do we get more people playing KI?”

A lot of developers ask this question about their games. This has led many fighting games to include some kind of simple control mode to let players new to the genre enjoy themselves. Auto combos, one-button special moves, or automatic defense may seem like great ideas to get new players in, but can allow access to powerful abilities not usable with normal controls. Some modes even disallow access to basic gameplay functions entirely as a penalty for using simple controls! These modes may help new players have a good time against each other, but they do little to teach those players the “real” game because they radically change the way you play.

When the KI development team asked this very same question of ourselves, we knew we needed a fresh answer. Perhaps we also needed a fresh question:

“What is stopping you or your friends from playing KI?”

We asked a lot of players, “what part of fighting games is preventing you from wanting to dig deeper?” What we discovered was that while most people feel pretty confident that they can throw a fireball, almost no one was comfortable with the concept of canceling a normal attack into a special move. And canceling a normal attack into a special move is so core to KI’s combo system that we ask you to do it 3 to 5 times per combo — and quickly!

We wanted to help people feel comfortable playing KI, without changing any of the timing or rules. Without providing any competitive advantage. And we wanted to do it in a way that players could use as training wheels to learn how to play and compete in the full, real game at their own pace.

So we developed Combo Assist Mode.

http://www.ultra-combo.com/growing-the-killer-instinct-community-combo-assist-mode/

ComboExample1.jpg

ComboExample2.jpg

vg260

I'm hardly an execution snob, but I don't know how I feel about this.

Why would anyone want to do the motions now? I guess it may limit your possible linker options depending on the character?

I think I'm down for this, keeps the focus on the mindgames that make the whole combo system worthwhile and still leaves the more execution heavy options like manuals open.

I'm hardly an execution snob, but I don't know how I feel about this.

Why would anyone want to do the motions now? I guess it may limit your possible linker options depending on the character?

Yea it seems like you have a lot less control over which linkers, and maybe which ender you choose? Seems like a way to make mashing more effective, but I don't know.

vg260

Yea it seems like you have a lot less control over which linkers, and maybe which ender you choose? Seems like a way to make mashing more effective, but I don't know.

edit: ok yeah reading the forum, you have fewer linker/ender options with assist on. That seems ok.

.la1n

Will Sabrewulfs stage be fixed this update...

I don't see combo assist changing any balance with the game and hopefully brings in more players. Not something I would use but don't think it's meant to be.

.la1n

I noticed this last update but now it's both the shadow meter and instinct bar that do it; the flashing on hit to signify gaining meter. Not a fan, it's distracting and doesn't help me in any way. I'd prefer the option to turn it off just like HUD audio cues.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Not sure how I feel about this combo assist stuff.
I hate it.

KI is a fairly easy execution game to begin with, now you can literally mash out full combos from open to ender?? Way to instantly devalue a quality fighting game, and to think they actually devoted dev time for this 'feature'...what a fucking joke.

Take it out.

vg260

I hate it.

KI is a fairly easy execution game to begin with, now you can literally mash out full combos from open to ender?? Way to instantly devalue a quality fighting game, and to think they actually devoted dev time for this 'feature'...what a fucking joke.

Take it out.

That's apparently the point :/

It's crazy the whole combo metagame is my least favorite part of this game.

Apparently the dev team is very much behind the idea as a big removal of barrier to entry, but to me it seems poorly implemented when it effectively renders traditional moves pointless in most situations. For some sort of easy-mode learning assist, there needs to be a bigger cost of use.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
That's apparently the point :/

It's crazy the whole combo metagame is my least favorite part of this game.

Apparently the dev team is very much behind the idea as a big removal of barrier to entry, but to me it seems poorly implemented when it effectively renders traditional moves pointless in most situations. For some sort of easy-mode learning assist, there needs to be a bigger cost of use.

Totally agree, I think IG is completely out of touch with who really plays this game and is delusional if they think this mode is actually gonna boost sales by any significant margin.

The only way I'd be cool with this is

1. Make it an entirely separate 'Easy Mode'. You wanna go online and play people with this garbage? Great do it in an enclosed group.

Or

2. Like you said have a much bigger competitive cost of use...unless I'm missing something right now there appears be absolutely none.

The fact that this is change is embedded in all aspects of the game really hurts the reward factor of executing long combos...I would say even including begginers. What the hell is the point of even playing a fighting game for more than 15 minutes if all you wanna do is mash and not learn its mechanics???

Sydle

I don't see the downside. It makes the combos easier to execute, but changes nothing about how you're supposed to be controlling your opponent with footsies, mix ups, and reaction. Combo assist also only grants two assist linkers and two assist enders. You really think someone is going to rise the ranks with only combo assist and learning nothing else?

If a player is having fun and wants to compete they're still going to have to get good at the finer points of the mechanics including breaking, using shadow meter effectively, manuals, instinct, etc. because a seasoned player won't hesitate to body them using all of those tools and resources in smarter ways. As they dig in they'll no doubt start to want more control over their linkers and enders (hello shadows) to take advantage of lockouts.

Jarlaxle

I don't see the downside. It makes the combos easier to execute, but changes nothing about how you're supposed to be controlling your opponent with footsies, mix ups, and reaction. Combo assist also only grants two assist linkers and two assist enders. You really think someone is going to rise the ranks with only combo assist and learning nothing else?

If a player is having fun and wants to compete they're still going to have to get good at the finer points of the mechanics including breaking, using shadow meter effectively, manuals, instinct, etc. because a seasoned player won't hesitate to body them using all of those tools and resources in smarter ways. As they dig in they'll no doubt start to want more control over their linkers and enders as well.

This is how I feel about it. I don't understand anyone being upset about it. If it helps more people get into the game and doesn't take away my enjoyment of the game at all, I can't see it as a bad thing.

vg260

This is how I feel about it. I don't understand anyone being upset about it. If it helps more people get into the game and doesn't take away my enjoyment of the game at all, I can't see it as a bad thing.

What if you enjoyed the motion requirements? If they're not required anymore, it makes no sense to use them. You're just potentially hurting yourself by not dropping them completely.

Sydle

What if you enjoyed the motion requirements? If they're not required anymore, it makes no sense to use them. You're just potentially hurting yourself by not dropping them completely.

This doesn't change the timing on anything else to give combo assist users an advantage, so if you enjoy putting in the motions you can continue to do so with no disadvantage.

I'm pretty trash at KI but this honestly just seems kinda patronizing, if you want to lower the barrier for entry add stuff to the training mode, make it so you can go through the dojo with every character, this kind of just strikes me as the same thing as the auto-combo in the DMC games where it makes the game easier to get into, but also makes it way less fun.

vg260

This doesn't change the timing on anything else to give combo assist users an advantage, so if you enjoy putting in the motions you can continue to do so with no disadvantage.

Sure, but why? They're superfluous now.

I could to half circles too if I wanted do, but there's no point to do so.

Sydle

Sure, but why? They're superfluous now.

I could to half circles too if I wanted do, but there's no point to do so.

You're just going to drop shadow linkers and enders from your game?

You also realize that you get only two assist linkers and two assist enders, right? Your combos are going to get predictable really fast if you just rest on assists.

vg260

You're just going to drop shadow linkers and enders from your game?

You also realize that you get only two assist linkers and two assist enders, right? Your combos are going to get predictable really fast if you just rest on assists.

But those are still available, you just can't shortcut them, so those are not actual tradeoffs.

If I like the following characters in other fighting games, who would I like in Killer Instinct?

UMvC3: Dormammu
MvC2: Sentinel
Skullgirls: Painwheel
Guilty Gear: Dizzy, Testament
BlazBlue: Nine
Smash: Mewtwo, Jigglypuff
Street Fighter: Bison

Basically, I really like mobility and space control.

El Sabroso

If I like the following characters in other fighting games, who would I like in Killer Instinct?

UMvC3: Dormammu
MvC2: Sentinel
Skullgirls: Painwheel
Guilty Gear: Dizzy, Testament
BlazBlue: Nine
Smash: Mewtwo, Jigglypuff
Street Fighter: Bison

Basically, I really like mobility and space control.

easy, KanRa

Top Bottom