• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Sydle

But those are still available, you just can't shortcut them, so those are not actual tradeoffs.

Well, it's one reason you'll have to learn inputs if you want to compete.

Another reason is that if you only use combo assist you can no longer do Opener directly into a Linker, it will always be an auto-double. You want to make yourself more predictable and easier to read then I'm sure nobody will complain. If you want to keep your opponent guessing by mixing in a few Linkers following an Opener you'll have to learn the special input.

I imagine some people are going to substitute combo assist moves into their combos, but not use them entirely if they plan on sticking with the game to compete online.

Warxard

Banned
If I like the following characters in other fighting games, who would I like in Killer Instinct?

UMvC3: Dormammu
MvC2: Sentinel
Skullgirls: Painwheel
Guilty Gear: Dizzy, Testament
BlazBlue: Nine
Smash: Mewtwo, Jigglypuff
Street Fighter: Bison

Basically, I really like mobility and space control.

Glacius and Kan-Ra would be your best pick. Some of the best air normals in the game (Kan-Ra j.HK (the pinwheel?) is incredible), best zoning possibilities in the game (bugs for Kan-Ra, delayed/bouncing projectiles for Glac) a good enough dash speed (Kan has best dash speed out of the two) and some of Glac's Puddle Punches are very good to use as make-shift teleporting tools where as Kan's teleports are the best.

I've also thought about Cinder and Glacius. Why would those not fit as well?

Can you guys link me to some high level play of all three?

Kan-Ra was just the first time come to mind in what you wanted. Glacius can fit with what you want, I just feel Kan-Ra is more of the character that you're looking for.

Sleep's Kan-Ra

Domi's Cinder

Best Cinder Moment

I know there was a really good Glacius player, but I honestly don't remember the player's name. I hope this helps somewhat.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
After messing around with the combo assist I can safely say it's some of the most derpy shit I have ever seen in a fighting game.

You can at complete random mash out different buttons for different strengths of all linkers and doubles and even get manuals by sheer fucking accident.

I REALLY hope IG takes a second look at this and makes it a separate mode. And yes I realize you can turn it off but those brand new to the game will never care to learn it with this scrubby shit on by default. What a short-sighted feature.

vg260

After messing around with the combo assist I can safely say it's some of the most derpy shit I have ever seen in a fighting game.

You can at complete random mash out different buttons for different strengths of all linkers and doubles and even get manuals by sheer fucking accident.

I REALLY hope IG takes a second look at this and makes it a separate mode. And yes I realize you can turn it off but those brand new to the game will never care to learn it with this scrubby shit on by default. What a short-sighted feature.

Going by the forum thread, they seem adamant about not segregating he online pool.

It's good for what it is, and that is for brand new players to just mess around, but there's absolutely no reason why everyone should not turn this on. It makes the old system completely moot. They claim this is optional and doesn't affect the game at all, which I completely disagree with. These controls are the de facto standard now and if you learn this way, there's no reason to move away from it. For an assist or "training wheels" feature that is bad design.

There should be some sort of tradeoff for when the default game is made easier. Something. Be it meter or damage concession, more canned combos, or something. Right now there's zero.

I like the idea of the higher levels of ranked requiring it to be turned off. Seems like a good compromise, but they seem adamant about their decision. Hopefully they can tweak it to make it more of a temporary learning tool and not to bypass the system, which is what it is now. It's frustrating that a lot of posts are writing off the negative feedback as all elitist talk, which some is, but there are some valid points against the current implementation. No ones trying to keep people from getting their foot in the door and having fun, but even something like this needs balance.

Sydle

You could get manuals by accident before. This changed absolutely nothing about the timing of manuals.

Going by the forum thread, they seem adamant about not segregating he online pool.

It's good for what it is, and that is for brand new players to just mess around, but there's absolutely no reason why everyone should not turn this on. It makes the old system completely moot. They claim this is optional and doesn't affect the game at all, which I completely disagree with. These controls are the de facto standard now and if you learn this way, there's no reason to move away from it. For an assist or "training wheels" feature that is bad design.

There should be some sort of tradeoff for when the default game is made easier. Something. Be it meter or damage concession, more canned combos, or something. Right now there's zero.

I like the idea of the higher levels of ranked requiring it to be turned off. Seems like a good compromise, but they seem adamant about their decision. Hopefully they can tweak it to make it more of a temporary learning tool and not to bypass the system, which is what it is now. It's frustrating that a lot of posts are writing off the negative feedback as all elitist talk, which some is, but there are some valid points against the current implementation. No ones trying to keep people from getting their foot in the door and having fun, but even something like this needs balance.

Help me understand how combo assist helps someone outmaneuver an opponent not using it. If two players are equally skilled at the game what does the combo assist user gain that gives them an unfair advantage?

vg260

Help me understand how combo assist helps someone outmaneuver an opponent not using it. If two players are equally skilled at the game what does the combo assist user gain that gives them an unfair advantage?

They get the benefit of not having to do directional motions and get the same result. How unfair is debatable, but I think less effort for the same result should come with a tradeoff of some kind, and I don't think the danger of accidentally double-tapping and getting a linker is sufficient.

Sydle

They get the benefit of not having to do directional motions and get the same result. How unfair is debatable, but I think less effort for the same result should come with a tradeoff of some kind, and I don't think the danger of accidentally double-tapping and getting a linker is sufficient.

There's no debate to be had on fairness, they gain absolutely no advantage using combo assist. It only eases the learning curve and eventually, if they want to compete against expert players, they'll have to move beyond only combo assist. There's absolutely no way a combo assist only player will make it very far in ranked.

As for expert players using it as part of their tools, so what, they still don't gain any advantage on timing, spacing, or anything else that matters in terms of outmaneuvering someone else.

I also can't imagine someone who is actually enjoying the game being satisfied with the same preset assist linkers and enders even at low-level play. They'll see someone else do another ender and probably want to try it out at the very least. Once they start the breaking game they'll have to start getting more sophisticated.

vg260

There's no debate to be had on fairness, they gain absolutely no advantage using combo assist. It only eases the learning curve and eventually, if they want to compete against expert players, they'll have to move beyond only combo assist. There's absolutely no way a combo assist only player will make it very far in ranked.

As for expert players using it as part of their tools, so what, they still don't gain any advantage on timing, spacing, or anything else that matters in terms of outmaneuvering someone else.

I also can't imagine someone who is actually enjoying the game being satisfied with the same preset assist linkers and enders even at low-level play. They'll see someone else do another ender and probably want to try it out at the very least. Once they start the breaking game they'll have to start getting more sophisticated.

I'm not sure how you're defining advantage, but the player certainly benefits by not having to do directional inputs if that's the hangup and why they use the assist. That's the whole point of the assist. It gives them a better chance to compete. You could fairly say "it's to their own advantage" to use if it helps them, but that's just getting hung up on the language at that point.

The spacing, positioning and other stuff that comes into play is beside the point.

Also, I'm not sure why you keep saying that this system is limiting them in possible options when it is not. No combo that you could do before is completely blocked out of use. The presets are only if they choose not to do the motions for those specific moves. They still have access to the full range, just not as shortcuts. They only need to break out a command for one or two moves. They barely have to move out of it, and really don't ever have to.

Sydle

I'm not sure how you're defining advantage, but the player certainly benefits by not having to do directional inputs if that's the hangup and why they use the assist. That's the whole point of the assist. It gives them a better chance to compete. You could fairly say "it's to their own advantage" to use if it helps them, but that's just getting hung up on the language at that point.

The spacing, positioning and other stuff that comes into play is beside the point.

Also, I'm not sure why you keep saying that this system is limiting them in possible options when it is not. No combo that you could do before is completely blocked out of use. The presets are only if they choose not to do the motions for those specific moves. They still have access to the full range, just not as shortcuts. They only need to break out a command for one or two moves. They barely have to move out of it, and really don't ever have to.

I don't see the benefit except easing the learning curve for new players. If all they do is use the combo assist with never learning any special inputs and timing then they won't be competitive. This doesn't make them smarter, more unpredictable, or trickier in anyway. Never mind all the work it takes to actually get in on a good player, land a combo, and keep them from breaking it.

I guess we'll see after some people have had time with it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The way i see it, it raises the floor of the lower skilled players, which is nice

The game has some pretty big voids in skill level... the jump from "i have no clue what I'm doing" to a semi competent player is quite large

This mode was made for h2o delirious

tapedeck

You could get manuals by accident before. This changed absolutely nothing about the timing of manuals.
So what, that's not my point.

The mere fact that manuals can occur after a mashed out linker is dumb as hell. No manuals after an assisted linker would be an easy and obvious way to enforce a competitive disadvatage.

CVE RIMZ is really good.

Sniggled is also pretty good in this Glacius vs Kan-Ra match.

Glacius and Kan-Ra would be your best pick. Some of the best air normals in the game (Kan-Ra j.HK (the pinwheel?) is incredible), best zoning possibilities in the game (bugs for Kan-Ra, delayed/bouncing projectiles for Glac) a good enough dash speed (Kan has best dash speed out of the two) and some of Glac's Puddle Punches are very good to use as make-shift teleporting tools where as Kan's teleports are the best.

Kan-Ra was just the first time come to mind in what you wanted. Glacius can fit with what you want, I just feel Kan-Ra is more of the character that you're looking for.

Sleep's Kan-Ra

Domi's Cinder

Best Cinder Moment

I know there was a really good Glacius player, but I honestly don't remember the player's name. I hope this helps somewhat.
Thanks guys. I'm really liking Glacius and Kan-ra, but I don't understand what Glacius' light pillar does. It never seems to hit. Can he control where it strikes? Do you negative edge the snowflake to make it attack eventually?

Thanks guys. I'm really liking Glacius and Kan-ra, but I don't understand what Glacius' light pillar does. It never seems to hit. Can he control where it strikes? Do you negative edge the snowflake to make it attack eventually?

Glacius' "light pillar" should be his Shatter special(QCF+K). The special is an unblockable attack that only hits grounded characters. The distance of the move depends on the button pressed. Light is close to Glacius, medium is midscreen, heavy is fullscreen. It doesn't hit a lot of the time because a lot of players know to jump on reaction to Glacius doing the move.

His "snowflake" should be his Hail special(QCB+P). You can hold the button to make the projectile stay near Glacius for a few seconds. The projectile bounces along the ground if it hits the ground before hitting the opponent.

Skab

If I like the following characters in other fighting games, who would I like in Killer Instinct?

UMvC3: Dormammu
MvC2: Sentinel
Skullgirls: Painwheel
Guilty Gear: Dizzy, Testament
BlazBlue: Nine
Smash: Mewtwo, Jigglypuff
Street Fighter: Bison

Basically, I really like mobility and space control.

Sounds like you should check out Kan-Ra, as others have already pointed out to you.

Also, you should check out Infils guide.

http://ki.infil.net/index.html

Lots of info and good character overviews.

tapedeck

Came home from work to find my Shadow Jago figure waiting for me. :)

The figure is very nice looking, the box is really slick too.

vg260

I never even got a shipping notification lol, I was totally surprised to see it at my door.

Shagos color 10 looks sick, maybe my favorite color in the game so far.

Yeah, I was surprised how much I liked it.

Anyone want the figure but not the code?

.la1n

Ordered day one, just got mine today. I also received my email with tracking information today, lol.

pEE4Ft0.jpg

.la1n

I'm not a figure statue kinda guy but that does look badass. Added colour is cool too, if not a little annoying you can't buy separately

I was pretty impressed with it, I'm not big figure collector but KI brought out the kid in me. It's good built quality and came packaged well. I could see picking up at least one more figure in March, probably Fulgore.

So has anyone else not received they're shago figure yet? I ordered day one
Ordered on Day 1 and just got mine today.....though I also got the email of it being shipped (today) too and about 30 minutes after of seeing the email, the figure came. Confused the shit outta me tbh so I checked the tracking info and it just showed the delivery date, no shipping date for some reason......weird.
aHQch2F.jpg

Question guys. Is Shadow Jago going to be part of Season 3, or is he seperate? I was wondering since he's up on the Xbox Store until Jan 15th, and I was wondering if I should get him. The thing is, I don't want to buy anything twice, and I usually always purchase the season bundles, so I don't know if I should get him now.

Question guys. Is Shadow Jago going to be part of Season 3, or is he seperate? I was wondering since he's up on the Xbox Store until Jan 15th, and I was wondering if I should get him. The thing is, I don't want to buy anything twice, and I usually always purchase the season bundles, so I don't know if I should get him now.

Separate. He shows up on the character select screen as part of season 1.

If you want him you should probably go ahead and buy him now.

Had a chance to finally try out the combo assist.

I really, REALLY like having the ability to ultra just by pressing LT/LB. Perhaps I'm in the minority on that, but it's definitely something I'm making use of quite a bit so far.

vg260

Had a chance to finally try out the combo assist.

I really, REALLY like having the ability to ultra just by pressing LT/LB. Perhaps I'm in the minority on that, but it's definitely something I'm making use of quite a bit so far.

No reason not to take advantage of that.

The only thing I think that one might debate turning off in the CAM settings is opener into linker.

.la1n

Looking forward to seeing what they come up with for the figure exclusive color. Looks like Fulgore and possibly Hisako will be ready for preorder soon.

malfcn

So Ultra 1 is free. Downloaded the key, already had Combo Breaker.
In the HDD it says Glacius, Orchid, Sabre, Sadira, Spinal and Thunder (not mention of Fulgore) are ready to download..aren't they already downloaded if I have Combo Breaker? Also..how do I get the classic arcades?

So Ultra 1 is free. Downloaded the key, already had Combo Breaker.
In the HDD it says Glacius, Orchid, Sabre, Sadira, Spinal and Thunder (not mention of Fulgore) are ready to download..aren't they already downloaded if I have Combo Breaker? Also..how do I get the classic arcades?

Easiest manner I did it with is searching for Killer Instinct in the game store. The classic version came up easily from there. I couldn't figure out how to do it on the web.

Never really played Orchid much but finding I'm enjoying my time with her now.

Anyone have any tips for opening people up with her? I feel like I rely way too much on the slide.

Top Bottom