• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

vg260

PvpRh3d.png

Seeing those hexagons overlap instead of fitting together irks me. :/

Yeah, that bugged me immediately. I don't like different sized character icons on select screens at all, especially when they would match up otherwise. I hope they adjust those.

mdsfx

Probably wont have enough information to put together an OT until release date at this point.
I think the OT should be made with the information we have. I wouldn't mind people seeing just how little info has been announced and making a point of it.

Just got done watching some of that stream. I really like the new character select screen. It's very nice, and kind of what I wanted from it all along: a static image when you hover over a character, and when you pick one, THEN the model loads in and gives a little flourish. I really like it! Very well done, you folks at IG!

I'm unsure on how to feel about the new "cinematic enders", or whatever they're called. I feel like the cinematic stuff should happen only on certain Level 4 and shadow enders. Like, Jago only gets the cinematic ender during a Level 4 uppercut ender and shadow uppercut ender. I feel like those would give more emphasis to those enders specifically, since they're the damage enders. I like the idea of this change to Level 4 enders, but I feel they should have limited implementation.

Also, as an aside, I really thought Kim Wu's face looked great on the stream. Maybe it was the quality of the stream, but that face really improved over the time she was first revealed to now. A lot of folks complain about Tusk's face, but that one will definitely improve as well. I have faith in that.

hwalker84

I think the OT should be made with the information we have. I wouldn't mind people seeing just how little info has been announced and making a point of it.

That would be funny.

"Hey game comes out in less than two weeks... Price... dunno, Ultra Edition, dunno, details of new modes and additions outside of new UI... dunno, Launch trailer... dunno, PC version demonstration... dunno, Hey Microsoft do you really truly care about this franchise... Dunno"

I don't like how Kim Wu's retro costumes all just go over top of her actual costume. That has to be a work in progress bug right? It looks super stupid.

PvpRh3d.png

Seeing those hexagons overlap instead of fitting together irks me. :/
So going by this it seems unlikely we'll get a bonus character?

Logic would tell me the season 3 bonus or shadow version or whatever would go where the random select currently is.

Although thinking about it the random selection could go beneath or on top and it wouldn't look out of place I guess

VariantX

That would be funny.

"Hey game comes out in less than two weeks... Price... dunno, Ultra Edition, dunno, details of new modes and additions outside of new UI... dunno, Launch trailer... dunno, PC version demonstration... dunno, Hey Microsoft do you really truly care about this franchise... Dunno"

I totally understand witholding info pertaining to things like colors, alts, and other goodies, but witholding pricing and preorders to the last minute is weird. Thats like one pay period away.

Nori Chan

So going by this it seems unlikely we'll get a bonus character?

Logic would tell me the season 3 bonus or shadow version or whatever would go where the random select currently is.

Although thinking about it the random selection could go beneath or on top and it wouldn't look out of place I guess

Season 1 had a random selection where Shago was? Didn't it? And before omen was introduced?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Maybe we won't get a bonus CHARACTER this season, but a bonus mode or accessory set or such. I wouldn't mind seeing them try something a LITTLE different in this department, really. Heck, what if they threw in a bonus Stage, after all the complaints about only 3 stages?

Oh, and I'm kinda surprised people are offput about music selection, in a world where people constantly wish for custom soundtracks at a system-wide level. I'm one of those that thinks game music should be all you listen to while playing a game, especially on the first time through. When you're grinding, or have basically experienced the content the "right" way first, I'm fine with the game letting you playing around with things.

But KI's let us experience the "right" way for a few years now, and the default option is still there. Why do we think people online will influence our music selection anyway? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a per-player option online, and as free an option as stage select offline (where the first to confirm gets to choose the settings.) Just one more thing to fight about in a fighting game... that's cool with me.

I don't like how Kim Wu's retro costumes all just go over top of her actual costume. That has to be a work in progress bug right? It looks super stupid.

Well, they're accessories. They're additions to the base costume, note entirely new costumes. They don't give her new polygonal arms or body meshes... they just go over what she already has.

And without the outfits themselves, they change enough to where she'd have nothing to identify her via colors if you took away the additional clothing elements. SO P1 and P2 would look like the same outfits, minus a leg strap or something.

If only everyone was like Rash, who'se basically nude. Throwing outfits of any design atop of him works due to this! I wouldn't mind seeing Kim get bare shoulders or lose sleeves to make some of the outfits work better on her Retro, but that's normally beyond the score of what these costumes are: bonuses that don't require changing the base model much.

rrc1594

I would love for a community tournament when season 3. I think it would be great, KI community isn't that big so it shouldn't be hard to organize

I remember them saying that Kim Wu would have different hair styles, but that just ended up being different colored hair.

Also, I love the puzzle piece 'tat' on Rash's arm. Lol I'm definitely going frog prince.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I remember them saying that Kim Wu would have different hair styles, but that just ended up being different colored hair.

The Seoul style is a BIT different. And I bet she totally has something different under the Bike helm! (>_>)

I like most of her sets, though. The Headset vest and Bike stuff actually make me more interested in trying her than her Gato / Kurandoberi inspirations already did. Really like the base classic look, as well.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The most disappointing part on the stage loss.

i'm going to keep hoping for another sky stage to fill that mysterious void underneath the random stage option

simply because it's an incredibly easy stage to implement (relative to the other stages)... they have lots of skyboxes... and they can change the colors of the sky to match the fight that's occurring

plus it would look sick if it's reflective :>

also would be a great chance to show off some purple and green clouddddsss

though i don't expect it something they announce if they do make it... it just appears in the game like shadow jago did

Maybe we won't get a bonus CHARACTER this season, but a bonus mode or accessory set or such. I wouldn't mind seeing them try something a LITTLE different in this department, really. Heck, what if they threw in a bonus Stage, after all the complaints about only 3 stages?

Oh, and I'm kinda surprised people are offput about music selection, in a world where people constantly wish for custom soundtracks at a system-wide level. I'm one of those that thinks game music should be all you listen to while playing a game, especially on the first time through. When you're grinding, or have basically experienced the content the "right" way first, I'm fine with the game letting you playing around with things.

But KI's let us experience the "right" way for a few years now, and the default option is still there. Why do we think people online will influence our music selection anyway? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a per-player option online, and as free an option as stage select offline (where the first to confirm gets to choose the settings.) Just one more thing to fight about in a fighting game... that's cool with me.

Well, they're accessories. They're additions to the base costume, note entirely new costumes. They don't give her new polygonal arms or body meshes... they just go over what she already has.

And without the outfits themselves, they change enough to where she'd have nothing to identify her via colors if you took away the additional clothing elements. SO P1 and P2 would look like the same outfits, minus a leg strap or something.

If only everyone was like Rash, who'se basically nude. Throwing outfits of any design atop of him works due to this! I wouldn't mind seeing Kim get bare shoulders or lose sleeves to make some of the outfits work better on her Retro, but that's normally beyond the score of what these costumes are: bonuses that don't require changing the base model much.

Ehhh, but other retro costumes can fully change, Kim Wu shouldnt be different.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ehhh, but other retro costumes can fully change, Kim Wu shouldnt be different.

Depends on what parts you're talking about. The interaction between a fabric-covered shoulder and arm is different than a bare back and arm. All of Kim's base models have her covered in those areas. As opposed to someone like Thunder, whose base is a bare upper half, and then has stuff added atop of that for his accessories. If the base mesh won't follow with the modifications animation properly, then that's more hassle to correct for mostly "free" costumes than it's worth.

It's be nice to see a few modifications to make them look more like parts of the designs (like maybe ripped / removed sleeves, or a more open Qi Pao top), but I don't really expect it.

If they want to go all out, they should just give her a traditional Korean Hanbok like Seung Mina had in Soul Calibur 2:

Of course, that was often an animation nightmare:

Oh, the days when bonuses in games were added, without any concern for if they actually worked right.

Depends on what parts you're talking about. The interaction between a fabric-covered shoulder and arm is different than a bare back and arm. All of Kim's base models have her covered in those areas. As opposed to someone like Thunder, whose base is a bare upper half, and then has stuff added atop of that for his accessories. If the base mesh won't follow with the modifications animation properly, then that's more hassle to correct for mostly "free" costumes than it's worth.

It's be nice to see a few modifications to make them look more like parts of the designs (like maybe ripped / removed sleeves, or a more open Qi Pao top), but I don't really expect it.

If they want to go all out, they should just give her a traditional Korean Hanbok like Seung Mina had in Soul Calibur 2:

Of course, that was often an animation nightmare:

Oh, the days when bonuses in games were added, without any concern for if they actually worked right.

Sure, not all of them are much more than just reskins with stuff plastered on top, but some of them actually make changes to the costumes. I think Kim Wu's look super terrible with the original costume underneath, and I wish more time was put into them, like say Maya or TJ Combo.

Yes, parts of Maya's costume are clearly just reskins, but even her loin cloth changes shape between the basic and the viking style costume, or is removed for a different skirt, or shorts.

I wish I could find a picture of Combo's other retro where hes an army dude, because it shows a good difference between a half ripped up shirt, a full sweater, and a bare shirt with a vest. Clearly not just things slapped on top of the basic retro.

With Kim, they didnt even bother to reskin any of the base costume.

Like I say, I really hope its just a work in progress, these guys change so much so quickly. I hope they can sort it out.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sure, not all of them are much more than just reskins with stuff plastered on top, but some of them actually make changes to the costumes. I think Kim Wu's look super terrible with the original costume underneath, and I wish more time was put into them, like say Maya or TJ Combo.

Yeah, but that doesn't change what I said. Adding Fabric / bulky clothes on top of a "nude" model is easier than taking away fabric and showing skin. Much like Rash, Maya's model starts off more "nude" so adding things atop of her (such as a jacket) is easier. Even the corset top still shows the same amount of flesh in the "problem areas" like the arm joins, as her normal outfit.

Yes, parts of Maya's costume are clearly just reskins, but even her loin cloth changes shape between the basic and the viking style costume, or is removed for a different skirt, or shorts.

Her loincloth is basically an accessory, her body shape is still the same under it. The animation between her pelvic area and thighs requires no changes in this case, because things are just layered atop the base. Like I said, adding is easier than subtracting.

Compare this to the one exposed arm Kim has in her default outfit. There's probably no model for her body under the vest, her joint is animated to look like an arm protruding from a base body, kind of like an old GI. Joe toy.

I wish I could find a picture of Combo's other retro where hes an army dude, because it shows a good difference between a half ripped up shirt, a full sweater, and a bare shirt with a vest. Clearly not just things slapped on top of the basic retro.

Combo's base model is basically shirtless. Since he's modeled with ragged tags of a shirt that flops to show more detail beneath, they made much more (or all) of his flesh as a base. Notice how Big the 70s's shirt looks on his body: It's made in something of a "Tekken / Soul Calibur" accessory style, where the clothes are made bigger than the body. It's a layer atop / around his basic body, not something removed to show a form that was probably never rendered / textured / considered for animation.

Every model has a different set of priorities when designed. Some spend more time on muscle / body modeling (which demands more attention to muscle deformation and shape) and less on secondary physics (such as flowing coat tails, lose hair, weapon tassels, chains, etc.). Some focus on mechanical or animalistic animations.

Kim's seem to focus on making sure she works with her nunchucks (like Keits said, it's a motion set that's hard to get to work in a 2D perspective game, with the snappiness demanded of the actions, mixed with the need to see some proper flow and motion simultaneously), and her inner loincloth / belts actually seem to have better-than-average collision with her thighs (weird, because a lot of loose objects like Sadira's hair seem to have much sloppier collision boxes that lead to more clipping).

Like I say, I really hope its just a work in progress, these guys change so much so quickly. I hope they can sort it out.

Even if they don't' do it immediately, they could make changes later in the season. I'll hope for them right along with you! But these are the same people who won't mod the S1 retros because making modifications could take more than just a change to the model, but also to the underlying animation and physics.

I mean, you can bet they know certain changes would look better, and you know they're not withholding them just because. I'm just trying to clear up why what appears to be such small changes from the outside, are actually much more complex from a developers viewpoint.

If some how this is the final BIG season for KI, I'd love to see them correct and change the minor stuff that takes more resources than the average fan expects.

Ok, then why dont they make Kim's retro 'basically nude' then, like Combo, or Maya's bottoms, and then they can remove them and change them when they need to?

My whole point is that it looks bad, and they should make it look good, they have done this before, so do it again. period end of story, haha.

Luckily her basic retro looks awesome, so I probably wont add accessories, but it would have been nice if they looked good enough for that to even be an option for me.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It must be part of how they're able to deliver characters quickly, and with these additional sets for free; it's like they re-invent the wheel on every character.

This happens in SMITE too, and part of the reason is because each character has a different lead designer (and presumably a unique team under them?) Money, time, and the abilities and availability of the designers in question are always factors.

It's a reason why many older games can feel more cohesive than newer works: if 1 guy can animate an entire game, or an entire set of characters or effects, there's a lot more consistency. Raise that to 5+, with each person having their own highs and lows, and it gets less and less efficient, especially if your budget only allows you to create and release your first pass at something.

Yeah, it really makes me sad though. The accessories should be an awesome and fun thing, but I think 75% of them are just terrible and a waste of effort. I rarely see people use most of them (I dont play online much though, so Im sure people do and I just dont see them), and I even try to set up alt styles for every character, but end up sticking with the base looks, or maybe using 1 or 2 of the like what 100 total items per character?

I think the whole system needs to get looked at and refined. Games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, and VF5 have done costume accessories much better, I wish KI was even close to those games in terms of customization.

.la1n

So UltimateSource is aware of all the backlash on color 11 Shago being locked behind another figure so they are looking into working something out for the people who bought the limited edition run. Good.

Max's latest video with Tusk' Ultra does have his "ending face" looking better, it's still a little goofy but better than what we were originally looking at I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpyfsJ7lBmY

I'm really interested in seeing what incentives they do for the Ultra edition this go around, honestly as silly as KI gold bonus would be I think I'd be more unhappy if they did no additional incentives (like KI originals with season 1 and 2) but keep the cost the same.

I was complaining to my wife yesterday about the lack of news (she isn't a gamer outside of a cell phone game here and there) and after I was done she said "but you love KI so your buying it anyway right?"

No come back. lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, it really makes me sad though. The accessories should be an awesome and fun thing, but I think 75% of them are just terrible and a waste of effort. I rarely see people use most of them (I dont play online much though, so Im sure people do and I just dont see them), and I even try to set up alt styles for every character, but end up sticking with the base looks, or maybe using 1 or 2 of the like what 100 total items per character?

I really appreciate a lot of them, and setting up looks is the first thing I do when we get a new character. I'd do it even more if 1p and 2p sides had their own sets to use, but we just split the diff. and each take a few spots, to solve that issue.

I think the whole system needs to get looked at and refined. Games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, and VF5 have done costume accessories much better, I wish KI was even close to those games in terms of customization.

But yeah, redefined accessories could be very nice. Of just designing new characters off an improved base ideal. People like Thunder and Fulgore have some very unique animation quirks (the way Thunder's necklaces animate on his body is quite well done, and Fulgores mechanical parts are excellent) that make them a pain to do much with, but Tusk, being a full IG product, should basically be just as naked and modifiable as they want him to be, with the ability to be anything from a normal Barbarian to a Gundam wielding a Buster Scythe, lol.

The only one I really think does much better than KI is honestly Virtua Fighter. They're not the prettiest, but their attempts to make everything feel as if it's part of the designers real vision is commendable. Soul Calibur is much better than Tekken normally, but still has it's odd moments, and Tekken is the standard for worse cohesion ever, to me. Stiff jackets, WAY oversized pieces, a serious lack of physics... and then they have to (stupidly, to me) have custom items like that Lili's Wedding dress bonus outfit which could itself win an award for quality... right alongside custom items that look like the worse of the PS1 era, below the alt designs in Tekken 1. No issues I have with any of the KI outfits are as deeply rooted as those I have with Tekken's, ha.

I'm really interested in seeing what incentives they do for the Ultra edition this go around, honestly as silly as KI gold bonus would be I think I'd be more unhappy if they did no additional incentives (like KI originals with season 1 and 2) but keep the cost the same.

I wish the incentive was "Hype a month or 2 before release" worthy. Would have loved a novelty like a KI S3 De-make. Something like:

rbffs-sgb.png

It's a shame that the "bonus game" idea doesn't seem to be continuing. Something related to Battletoads would have made Rash's inclusion make even more sense.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I was thinking GBA graphics due to old Rare stuff, but yup, KI-kick would be and awesome Ult. Edition bonus.

It honestly can't take more than 5 minutes to make, Give them a week, and I'm sure we could have all KI characters in a faux divekick in GBA throwback graphics!
Naaa, I'm just exaggerating... it might take an extra 2 days. Because of Microsoft Cert.

Uraizen

Banned
So UltimateSource is aware of all the backlash on color 11 Shago being locked behind another figure so they are looking into working something out for the people who bought the limited edition run. Good.

... Generate keys for all of those who bought him and email it to them? *shrugs*

Top Bottom