• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

RM8

I actually really like Kim Wu's retro outfit and it made me like her new self a lot better. Her default costume is so, so bad IMO. I'm planning to main either Riptor or her now once this hits PC :]

She looks particularly great in black:

Kim_Wu_RetroColor_02.jpg

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I actually really like Kim Wu's retro outfit and it made me like her new self a lot better. Her default costume is so, so bad IMO. I'm planning to main either Riptor or her now once this hits PC :]

Agreed, I pretty much hate her standard outfit but absolutely love her retro. I hope Tusks retro is just as good or better.

Dai101

Banned

AbeOik6.jpg

Agreed, I pretty much hate her standard outfit but absolutely love her retro. I hope Tusks retro is just as good or better.

Yeah, I agree.

Most characters retros I feel are kinda jokey to me, so I dont end up using them much, but Kim is definitely going on the short list of retros better than main costumes.

Thunder (I love his orange pants with a mohawk look, haha)
Glacius (especially his metalic one I think its colour 9?)
and now Kim Wu

MCD

Jesus. Her face is PS1 levels of bad.

MCD

Iron Galaxy should hire better character designers or ask MS to give them more money. Amateur stuff here just like the nasty LOADING that never got fixed.

So the page showing off rash's accessories says the last set is "only obtainable with KI Gold" Does that mean no Ultra Edition that contains everything?

So the page showing off rash's accessories says the last set is "only obtainable with KI Gold" Does that mean no Ultra Edition that contains everything?

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I think the Ultra Edition should come with not just retro costumes, but also every "premium accessory". That's how the others do it.

I'd like to hope that Season 3 Ultra Edition will as well. We'll have to wait and see.

.la1n

Yeah they are doing good work. I would have preferred Mick back again but at least we have worthy successors. Music is still leagues better than what we usually get in fighting games.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Is the certification timeline significantly shorter for digital only titles vs ones that are also stamped on disc? IG probably has at least another week to finish S3 before submitting to MS right?

.la1n

Is the certification timeline significantly shorter for digital only titles vs ones that are also stamped on disc? IG probably has at least another week to finish S3 before submitting to MS right?

They may have already submitted the version we are getting on the 29th. I believe first party studios do have access to a faster certification process but I don't think it's exclusive to just digital only titles.

vg260

What do people think about the new ender visual sequences? I saw a lot of people are unhappy with them on the KI forum.

I'm still not clear what enders trigger them, but I can't say like them simply visually speaking. I do feel they are visually awkward and generally unnecessary.

It kinda seems like they were looking for a way to make more use of the tech they came up with for Aria's transition and Shago's Ultimate, but I really don't think they were needed. I think they should scrap them since I can see how they would be disorienting and another if it ain't broke, don't fix it situation.

I'm still not sold on the purple shadows. The effects looks better than when first shown, but I loved the original effect, and always thought it looked super cool. I know the purple is supposedly there for story connection, but still looks garish. I liked the original because they looked more shadow-y, not like a crazy glow.

VariantX

What do people think about the new ender visual sequences? I saw a lot of people are unhappy with them on the KI forum.

I'm still not clear what enders trigger them, but I can't say like them simply visually speaking. I do feel they are visually awkward and generally unnecessary.

It kinda seems like they were looking for a way to make more use of the tech they came up with for Aria's transition and Shago's Ultimate, but I really don't think they were needed. I think they should scrap them since I can see how they would be disorienting and another if it ain't broke, don't fix it situation.

I'm still not sold on the purple shadows. The effects looks better than when first shown, but I loved the original effect, and always thought it looked super cool. I know the purple is supposedly there for story connection, but still looks garish. I liked the original because they looked more shadow-y, not like a crazy glow.

I think they'd be fine only as an end of round finisher. They really don't need to happen in the middle of a match.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Aren't people ALWAYS unhappy there? It can be a real pain to read, due to so much negativity...

Any level 4 normal ender triggers them. I like the fact that they sale level 4 enders as what they basically are: Ending a combo with a Super in any other fighting game. I do agree that maybe they don't need to be on EVERY ender, though. Maybe only on the Damage ender? Or maybe a different effect for each LvL 4 ender type (Damage gets zoom in, Meter flashes the screen on the final blow of the ender, knockback follows the enemy similar to Aganos mega-PAUNCH, etc)?

I think it's mostly just a way to make KI more readable to the general audience. While many fight players find stuff like this jarring, I think it helps makes the game more exciting to a casual observer. The understand "OOOOO, That HURT!" without having to look at the health bar, or understand that the slow-mo isn't a choppy framedrop, but heaviness added to show how painful the move was.

I think they look better now, and the disapation effect calls back more to the original look. While I think the old Shadows were perfectly fine... they were kinda confusing on lower-quality streams, and people probably see less "Street Fighter" in these, which is kinda good?

I think the HUGE PURPLE HIT EFFECT from Shadow strikes just makes it look like everyone has purple blood though, and that's not exactly good. Maybe It'll read more clearly in person?

I think they'd be fine only as an end of round finisher. They really don't need to happen in the middle of a match.

I don't really think they have ENOUGH visual pizazz to work as round-enders. Well, no, maybe as a visual distinction to end Round 1, but not for the final.

vg260

Aren't people ALWAYS unhappy there? It can be a real pain to read, due to so much negativity...

Well, yeah kinda, but some others who aren't normally negative are not fond of them, including some notable players/commentators.
http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/a-commentator-competitors-opinion-on-the-new-level-4-enders/6300
The original post in the thread there is a pretty reasonable constructive critique:
http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/constructive-feedback-on-the-new-level-4-ender-effect/6198

I think it's mostly just a way to make KI more readable to the general audience. While many fight players find stuff like this jarring, I think it helps makes the game more exciting to a casual observer. The understand "OOOOO, That HURT!" without having to look at the health bar, or understand that the slow-mo isn't a choppy framedrop, but heaviness added to show how painful the move was.

I think that was the intent, but I think the argument is in reality that it's more jarring/confusing for spectators and players.

I would prefer the color saturation in the shadows toned down a bit more and a little more lingering character image. Honestly just changing the hue on the original effect would have been fine.

I'm not a fan of the level 4 ender change. The new VFX are triggered anytime a level 4 ender is cashed out, and it really breaks the flow of the match (at least for me). It just seems super unnecessary. I hope Microsoft and IG sees the concerns of the community and removes it...however I feel it might be too late for any changes to occur because of how close we are to launch :/

#DOUBLEPOST

Season Three page is up before Microsoft announces pricing and bundles, amazing.

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-O...-Edition/c71b9678-12bb-4986-b202-0efeff63da19

$39.99

The Ultimate Season 3 Bundle! Get early access to fighters! Includes 8 new fighters - including Rash from Battletoads, Arbiter from Halo, Kim Wu, and Tusk! Includes VIP Double XP Booster, 8 retro costumes, accessory sets, bonus character colors, and 18,000 KI Gold. Rash, Arbiter, Kim Wu, and Tusk available now - all other content to be released over the season.

18,000 KI Gold and "VIP Double XP Booster" is replacement for the game port it seems.

vg260

FYI, 18,000 KI gold is normally $39.99.

I guess that could go to toward the "premium" accessories?

I barely touched the old ports, so with the double XP hopefully being permanent, this seems worth it to me.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, yeah kinda, but some others who aren't normally negative are not fond of them, including some notable players/commentators.
http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/a-commentator-competitors-opinion-on-the-new-level-4-enders/6300
The original post in the thread there is a pretty reasonable constructive critique:
http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/constructive-feedback-on-the-new-level-4-ender-effect/6198

It's nice to see there was some. On things like this, it often feels like people are just resistant to change. I Sometimes wonder if we'd have ever gotten Super moves in fighters, if the general public got to comment on their first pass, during development.

This will probably be an easy thing to mod and update over the season too.

I think that was the intent, but I think the argument is in reality that it's more jarring/confusing for spectators and players.

It's especially jarring because it's something added to a 2+ year old game. I think us getting used to it + IG refining it's implementation could still salvage the overall idea, however. It's not like you see that many lvl 4 enders in high lvl play without serious mistakes...

I would prefer the color saturation in the shadows toned down a bit more and a little more lingering character image. Honestly just changing the hue on the original effect would have been fine.

I didn't think it looked bright in the newer streams. The lingering character image stuff was my favorite part of the old shadows too.

Save for the understanding of colorblind situations, or low quality streams, I really find it surprising how many fighting gamers complain about things being "hard to read". One of the key ways to reason why kids loved games in the past, to a parent, was that it improved observation and hand/eye coordination skills. Particles and after-images never have been an issue to me, and I'm surprised many aren't basically "immune" to them either by now. Many more people than I'd expect seem to find "Chaos" more off-putting, but I normally find it invigorating and exciting.

vg260

There are apparently some accessories you can only get with KI gold.

also, you might be able to buy boosters to up your XP multiplier. It just wouldn't scale to 4x It's a bit less. It was explained how much before, but I forgot.

I'm just happy to be working with a 2x multiplier base. I wanted the retro costumes anyway.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Better be the skins from the figures

... why? That would just devalue the figure purchases.

Should just be something new and exclusive. Or if you have the figure colors already, these should be an addition to those who already have said figures.

It makes no sense to make premium content for "Diehard fans"... and then make it so they get nothing new with their future purchases. Variants are to encourage new purchases, not deter them.

Nori Chan

... why? That would just devalue the figure purchases.

Should just be something new and exclusive. Or if you have the figure colors already, these should be an addition to those who already have said figures.

It makes no sense to make premium content for "Diehard fans"... and then make it so they get nothing new with their future purchases. Variants are to encourage new purchases, not deter them.
Why not just have an option to buy it at a higher than usual price for the completionists?

Top Bottom