• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

OmegaDL50

I think I'll buy an Xbox One eventually.

Forza 5, Sunset Overdrive, and Killer Instinct were my main selling points to eventually get one.

I always was a fan of Killer Instinct so as more of this game gets fleshed out with each subsequent update, the more my interest continues to be piqued.

DrDogg

Is your XBO set as your home Xbox? Somewhere in the settings you can designate your XBO as the home unit. Doing this generally allows you to play games offline, but it's not set that way by default. That may help... not sure.

How fast did accessories and colors unlock in S1, because man, it's a grind. I hate having to grind to unlock stuff in fighters. I hope they didn't make it longer in an an effort to sell gold. The base F2P model was fine, but this part makes me nervous. That and what is that Booster stuff suspected to be?

Also, based on some earlier posts it sounds like they were going to make other characters play able in Dojo mode. Is this true?

I also don't understand the change to the unlock system. I don't care about concept art or any of that, I just want colors and accessories. Unlocking stuff I don't care about to get to the stuff I do care about kind of sucks, especially when that wasn't the case in S1.

Also, there was mention of Dojo for all characters at some point. Not sure where they're at with that now though.

Synth

Is your XBO set as your home Xbox? Somewhere in the settings you can designate your XBO as the home unit. Doing this generally allows you to play games offline, but it's not set that way by default. That may help... not sure.

That doesn't seem to be the case here. I was discussing it with someone else affected over in another thread earlier. The physical disc for KI actually does seem to only provide you with the F2P version, and you go online to unlock the rest of the characters (8mb per character apparently). If it was simply a "home console" issue, it wouldn't make sense for it to apply to a physical copy anyway really. The game shouldn't be tied to either the console or account if you require a disc to play it.

I promised good stuff, so I hope this delivers for you. Killer Instinct, on the Xbox 360.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doMBDq1H98I

Whooa, this is crazy! Thanks for this!

Jago with two straps looks weird. Hah. But that grab on Thunder, damn was that awesome. He also looked pretty creepy. XP

I liked how the round started immediately when Jago was done with his combo on Sabrewulf.

Now that I see this on 360, or the thought of putting KI on it. I now have high hopes of a KI guest character in MKX.

I'm terrible about promising to scrimmage online and getting busy with other stuff, but I just got it, and am pretty bad/spazzy, so pm if you want.

Alrighty! Will do!

Just bought an XBO last night and downloaded KI. For the season packs, can you unlock all the costumes included the $40 pack with the $20 pack? Or are the bonus items exclusive to the $40 pack with no other way to unlock them?

Doukou

Just bought an XBO last night and downloaded KI. For the season packs, can you unlock all the costumes included the $40 pack with the $20 pack? Or are the bonus items exclusive to the $40 pack with no other way to unlock them?

Money can unlock them but it cost more to buy them separately than to buy the 40 dollar pack.

No you can't unlock the 4th accessory, retro costume and retro costume accessories through gameplay.

Does the same go for the season 1 ultra edition? It has unique items that can't be unlocked through gameplay?

I like the idea of the unlocks and leveling, but if buy the Ultra Edition opens everything up, thats kind of a bummer.

Doukou

Does the same go for the season 1 ultra edition? It has unique items that can't be unlocked through gameplay?

I like the idea of the unlocks and leveling, but if buy the Ultra Edition opens everything up, thats kind of a bummer.

No you have to unlock 4 colors and 2 accessories for each character through gameplay. Ultra edition won't unlock those

Killer Instinct is one of the games I was so stoked for when they announced the Xbox One. I wound up going with the PS4 at launch and picked up a SO Bundle Xbox One two weeks ago. I play KI when I get the itch, but man do I get wrecked online. So far I only have Shadow Jago and whatever character is unlocked at the time. I consider myself good at fighting games, but KI's mechanics I am still trying to come to grips with. And, of course, not having an arcade stick is chafing me.

Any good pointers for a newbie KI player? I'm trying to get the feel of the combo system, but I think it takes a lot of practice. Maybe I should spend more time in Dojo, even though I've completed most of it...

Doukou

Killer Instinct is one of the games I was so stoked for when they announced the Xbox One. I wound up going with the PS4 at launch and picked up a SO Bundle Xbox One two weeks ago. I play KI when I get the itch, but man do I get wrecked online. So far I only have Shadow Jago and whatever character is unlocked at the time. I consider myself good at fighting games, but KI's mechanics I am still trying to come to grips with. And, of course, not having an arcade stick is chafing me.

Any good pointers for a newbie KI player? I'm trying to get the feel of the combo system, but I think it takes a lot of practice. Maybe I should spend more time in Dojo, even though I've completed most of it...

You should do Dojo till lesson 32 and skip that, then try either doing hard mode arcade(which will kick your ass) and keep playing it till you feel you can trick people into combo breaking wrong and combo break the ai. Of course the AI reads the controller so it will be tough.

Doc Morbid

Neo Member
Speaking of the AI reading inputs, has anyone managed to beat Shadow Jago with the Season 2 gameplay changes? Since he can now break combo enders and do air breakers, I just can't see how I'm supposed to be able to beat him.

At one point I was able to get him into a bit of an AI loop where he kept throwing fireballs, which I'd then punish with Orchid's Blockade Runner and wore him down that way, getting him all the way down to a sliver of health. Then he killed me after somehow breaking what would have been my ultra. I swear I only did the opener and the ultra input, and the cheating bastard somehow broke that.

I never tried to fight him in S1 because I thought I wouldn't be able to handle him. Welp.

Speaking of the AI reading inputs, has anyone managed to beat Shadow Jago with the Season 2 gameplay changes? Since he can now break combo enders and do air breakers, I just can't see how I'm supposed to be able to beat him.

At one point I was able to get him into a bit of an AI loop where he kept throwing fireballs, which I'd then punish with Orchid's Blockade Runner and wore him down that way, getting him all the way down to a sliver of health. Then he killed me after somehow breaking what would have been my ultra. I swear I only did the opener and the ultra input, and the cheating bastard somehow broke that.

I never tried to fight him in S1 because I thought I wouldn't be able to handle him. Welp.
Yeah, I beat him for the first time a few weeks ago. The way I did it was by using Jago (my main) and using double roundhouse followed by a tiger fury.

Doc Morbid

Neo Member
Wow, congrats. (not sarcasm, I'm genuinely impressed) I guess I just suck then. :D

Maybe I'll get back to it at some point and try different characters. Orchid's my main and I figured I'd have the best chance with her, but eh.

Wow, congrats. (not sarcasm, I'm genuinely impressed) I guess I just suck then. :D

Maybe I'll get back to it at some point and try different characters. Orchid's my main and I figured I'd have the best chance with her, but eh.

You'll get eventually. I'm certainly not a great player by any means. Here's my recorded clip of beating him, to show you how I eventually did it. And yes, that does say 159 tries haha, Though the majority of those were me just letting him beat me so I could get a fresh start. I actually got him down to danger on my 4th try, but then I couldn't come close for a long time after that. I finally discovered that the roundhouse + tiger fury combo worked pretty well, and beat him.

Doc Morbid

Neo Member
160 attempts sounds about right, the last time I fought Shadow Jago I ragequit when my 175th try was going to shit. I think I got him down to danger on my 30th attempt or so, then spent the next while beating my head against a brick wall and never getting anywhere near winning.

I think the most annoying part about Shadow Jago is actually getting to him in the first place. I can generally beat the medium AI opponents without too much trouble (the occasional meltdown against Glacius or Spinal notwithstanding), but fighting your rival on hard and getting an ultra on them can be a pain. I kinda wish you could shortcut to the Shadow Jago fight from the menu after you've reached him once, just to make it that little bit less frustrating.

bumpkin

160 attempts sounds about right, the last time I fought Shadow Jago I ragequit when my 175th try was going to shit. I think I got him down to danger on my 30th attempt or so, then spent the next while beating my head against a brick wall and never getting anywhere near winning.

I think the most annoying part about Shadow Jago is actually getting to him in the first place. I can generally beat the medium AI opponents without too much trouble (the occasional meltdown against Glacius or Spinal notwithstanding), but fighting your rival on hard and getting an ultra on them can be a pain. I kinda wish you could shortcut to the Shadow Jago fight from the menu after you've reached him once, just to make it that little bit less frustrating.
They really need to just offer a microtransaction to buy his stage. I do not have the patience for that shit. lol.

Heatshade

Neo Member

I beat him after 17 tries and it was my first time getting to him.
Your tactic with Orchid is good, just keep trying.
I always kept jumping back till the fireballs came and used Blockade runner to counter him.
For some reason he likes to taunt alot too. Take advantage of it because when he taunts there is a big chance he will follow it up with a fireball.

He breaks almost instantly but every bit helps, try using shadow counters as well.
For some reason he doesnt fall that easily for counter breakers so I didnt bother anymore.
In any case, Orchid was the way to go for me. =)

joe2187

Banned
So I bought the reatil version and Im having some issues with accessing the store and some of the menus.

2614151-ki-.jpg

Whenever I go to the store menu to look up anything about season 2 everything shows up as unnavailble, even the DLC costumes and items show up as "Bad Data" and wont let me do anything.

anyone else have this issue with the retail version?

Salz01

Does the ultimate edition ever go on sale for non xbox live users? 40 bucks for season 1 is kind of pricey if you want all the stuff.

DrDogg

That doesn't seem to be the case here. I was discussing it with someone else affected over in another thread earlier. The physical disc for KI actually does seem to only provide you with the F2P version, and you go online to unlock the rest of the characters (8mb per character apparently). If it was simply a "home console" issue, it wouldn't make sense for it to apply to a physical copy anyway really. The game shouldn't be tied to either the console or account if you require a disc to play it.

The issue he was having was that he couldn't access anything other than the free character and TJ Combo after putting the disc into an offline Xbox. While you'd have to connect it to the internet at least one time, setting it to be the home Xbox *should* allow him to keep every character available after going offline.

Does the ultimate edition ever go on sale for non xbox live users? 40 bucks for season 1 is kind of pricey if you want all the stuff.

$40 is pricey for all 8 season one characters, KI1 arcade, retro costumes and the extra accessories? Not exactly sure what you were expecting it to cost. They can't just give this thing away for free... oh wait, you have that option too. :p

bumpkin

Hmm... Today is Thursday. On Thursday (historically) we got KI goodness. Here's hoping for some news or info later!

Salz01

The issue he was having was that he couldn't access anything other than the free character and TJ Combo after putting the disc into an offline Xbox. While you'd have to connect it to the internet at least one time, setting it to be the home Xbox *should* allow him to keep every character available after going offline.

$40 is pricey for all 8 season one characters, KI1 arcade, retro costumes and the extra accessories? Not exactly sure what you were expecting it to cost. They can't just give this thing away for free... oh wait, you have that option too. :p

I take it you haven't purchased the mortal kombat extra edition. It started at 60 and a year later it's like 20... Maybe even cheaper somewhere.

SOLDIER

If I buy the retail version with the S1 characters, can I use them in the F2P digital version without having to leave the disc inside the system?

Also, are there any cheap accessories that let me connect a Madcatz fighting stick/fighting pad on my XB1?

DrDogg

I take it you haven't purchased the mortal kombat extra edition. It started at 60 and a year later it's like 20... Maybe even cheaper somewhere.

I purchased the original release of MK9 like millions of other people, so no I did not purchase the Komplete Edition.

- MK9 released in April 2011 for $60
- MKKE released in Feb 2012 for $60
- In 2013 MKKE hit $20

So a year after release MK9 was still $60. Not a proper comparison. Additionally, you're comparing a two-year old re-release to a digital game that offers a F2P version and gives you KI1 arcade for $40.

Synth

Yea I agree that setting the Xbox as his home console should allow him to play all characters offline.. but that's just the fix, the real issue is why isn't the authorisation to use these characters on the disc in the first place?

If you need to go online to enable the other characters, then are you actually registering a Combo Breaker pack to your console/gamertag? That's not how any other physical Xbox One release works. Why won't KI work without the disc in the drive if it already uses the same authentication as a digitally purchased version?

Bog

Junior Ace

The dude simply asked if it ever goes on sale. What on fucking earth, man.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

The only sale has been through deals with gold, I think. Also, the combo breaker disk release is $5 off on Black Friday somewhere. But other than those instances, it does not look like MS plans to reduce the price much. i think they're more focused on bundles and upgrade options for this game. Though holiday sales might have some surprises, who knows?

dankir

17 days until #itsagoddamnmummy 's trailer is out

just you know assuming the worst and all

We're supposed to get a full picture of hin tomorrow, which is kinda of lame because we already saw his face in Maya trailer.

So I'm assuming character trailer next week and then release last week of November?

.la1n

I'd hope he would be out for Ultra pack owners next week or what's the point of early access? Really hope we aren't going to get screwed on that one like Season 1.

bumpkin

I'd hope he would be out for Ultra pack owners next week or what's the point of early access? Really hope we aren't going to get screwed on that one like Season 1.
They've sounded pretty adamant about not repeating the mistakes of season 1, but with how tough MS seems to make things, it can't be an easy wrong to right.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
"Early Access" really should let us play with the character in alpha / beta states, like Skullgirls Endless Beta. Instead, we get them "on time" while other owners wait a bit longer to use basically finished content.

There really should be a testing ground lab or something in the game, that allows ultra pack owners to play around with truly early content. XB1 advertised a feature allowing beta play to all console users before it's release, I always hope this would be the game to go beyond what things like the halo betas already allow. Would be a great way to add value and hype to the game, even in between big release milestones.

Doukou

Image is borked for Mobile users I believe.
After months of notamummy feels good to gives him a name

Wonder if the war statue is Broccoliman

Waiting until the last moment possible to put him out. Hopefully it's because he's more complex than the rest of S2 and we don't get them in the last week of each month.

Top Bottom