• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

tumblr_nep6nc5z0l1s4ob6do1_1280.jpg

It's like a Christmas Advent calender.

DrDogg

How's the new MK hype? I've none for it, character just appear, I watch, that's that. But what kind of time frame are they showing off characters? Other than Boon's teasing on Twitter, what prepares anyone for the next reveal? Is it really much different than what we've gotten here in KI?

I'm not big into MK simply because I'm not a huge fan of the fighting engine. However, I do still plan to try the new game out in a proper environment (instead of at PAX or E3) when it's released.

That said, MKX doesn't hit until April and NetherRealm has revealed four new characters and four returning characters since June. That's really good for a game that doesn't hit for six months. If we were three weeks out from MKX it would be a different story.

We're less than three weeks out for #NotAMummy and we know next to nothing about the character. I want to get excited. I want to get hyped up. I want to play this game. I don't care about 1/4 of a concept art releasing once a week. Nothing against Adam, I'm sure his hands are tied, but whoever makes these decisions needs to move on to another project. I doubt it's Ken Lobb either, as I know he'd want to give us info more than anyone else, especially with Riptor only a month away.

Someone at IG or MS create a secret NeoGaf account and give us an email address of the person in charge so we can spam them with complaints. ;)

ryan13ts

I just got my Xbox one this week and have been playing the hell out of this game and enjoying it quite a bit. Just bought season 2 and I'm really looking foward to this new character, even though we still don't know much about it.

Also, did they ever confirm or not if No Mercy's were coming back? I read up a little on it and it seems to be some confusion to if they're actually going to put them in the game. Seems kind of a waste if they don't, since they let Shadow Jago have one and I loved the silly ones from the old games.

.la1n

I think this season they are planning a few more stage ultras but no mercys don't appear to be making a return (despite being one of the most requested features.) I think if anything it's probably due to the development resources needed to give every character their own unique no mercy. It would take away too much from resources they need elsewhere.

Disappointing but it's an understandable sacrafice. I do appreciate them at least making time to create some stage finishers.

Obviously if they inflated the budget we would probably see a lot more things being added but at the risk it would no longer be profitable. I'd rather they keep things in perspective, keep the game profitable so we can look forward to more seasons to come.

So basically, I was expecting a character to be played a certain way but instead I'll get something completely unexpected?

I'm OK with this.

I think this season they are planning a few more stage ultras but no mercys don't appear to be making a return (despite being one of the most requested features.) I think if anything it's probably due to the development resources needed to give every character their own unique no mercy. It would take away too much from resources they need elsewhere.

Disappointing but it's an understandable sacrafice. I do appreciate them at least making time to create some stage finishers.

Obviously if they inflated the budget we would probably see a lot more things being added but at the risk it would no longer be profitable. I'd rather they keep things in perspective, keep the game profitable so we can look forward to more seasons to come.

I've said before but I'd completely understand if Iron Galaxy had to reel back their ambition/promises. They're willing to deliver a character a month which sounds so incredibly constricting on work that I doubt it'll have the level of polish deserved. I'd be happy waiting 2 or 3 months for Iron Galaxy to spend as much as they can on a single character than give us 8 new characters that feel like Maya. That's not to say anything bad against Iron Galaxy but if Maya is anything to go by, then I think we have a problem in terms of quality. No mercies, stage fatalities (That are actually animated well) and characters with janky animations are gonna end up making or breaking this game.
(Again I have to state I have full faith and respect in Iron Galaxy. I just find the promise to be too ambitious and there's nothing wrong with telling people now if they can't full the requests in time).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think the biggest issue is that the current "Hype" makes all of us paying customers feels like 2nd classers. We get to hear and see that there's some kinda playable code being shown to non-MS employees, yet we have to wait weeks to catch up to them.

That's runs opposite of the fact that the game's very release pushed a feeling that we're getting immediate access to a game as it grows. The old streams weren't perfect about this, but watching Facepalms and Random selects of "leaks" was a lot more exciting and insider-ish than being spoonfed bits and pieces of playable content when one is only weeks away from play.

Will Season 2 be released on disc like Season 1?

We didn't know of S1 having a disk until a few weeks before it happened, so if 2 gets a disk, it'll probably be as a promo to S3 a few weeks before it's release, as well. But nothing known so far.

That said, MKX doesn't hit until April and NetherRealm has revealed four new characters and four returning characters since June. That's really good for a game that doesn't hit for six months. If we were three weeks out from MKX it would be a different story.

So about 1 reveal every month and a half, for a game that doesn't have anyway near as tight a dev/delivery schedule, or anywhere near as much cash behind it. And they're working with an engine they know inside and out.
And it's MK, the fighter with some of the worse, cookie-cutter character models + animation of any modern fighter! XD
I'd like to say that, but they are stepping up their game quite a bit in that department.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want more and better out of the KI guys, but looking at what other fighters are doing helps put some of our woes into perspective. I really am surprised they committed to such an aggressive release schedule with all that's stacked against them.

We're less than three weeks out for #NotAMummy and we know next to nothing about the character. I want to get excited. I want to get hyped up. I want to play this game. I don't care about 1/4 of a concept art releasing once a week. Nothing against Adam, I'm sure his hands are tied, but whoever makes these decisions needs to move on to another project. I doubt it's Ken Lobb either, as I know he'd want to give us info more than anyone else, especially with Riptor only a month away.

Someone at IG or MS create a secret NeoGaf account and give us an email address of the person in charge so we can spam them with complaints. ;)

It's especially frustrating because we have people who KNOW fighters right there among the devs, so they should get the pain a hardcore player experiences. Why do I have to explain my feelings to people who should know it first hand? I want my woes addressed before I even make them! I think IG has the potential to do this, even within this season. That would go a long way to making them less "those guys who took over from DH" and more "the guys who made an awesome S2!".

In this case, I'm OK with watching these guys grow. I'm not entirely confident more money would produce higher quality results, just more of the quality we've seen so far in S2, which still has quite a few kinks in it. Shadow Jago's last minute ULTIMATE had better animation work / staging to it than any of the bonus Stage Ultra / taunt stuff we've seen in S2 so far, for example.

Once the dev team has a full season under their belt (going into S3), I'd love to see them work on some 2.5 improvements, before S3. This would be the perfect time to increase the budget, polishing up things that are sub-standard, and working with the now-understood / recreated systems to start S3 stronger than ever.

vg260

Went through all the dojo training. That was really well done. I finally understand what the heck is going on with the terminology. Looking forward to watching some stream archives now. I do wish they had combo challenges for all characters, though. I have a good feel for Jago, obviously, but I gotta play as the skeleton, and similar in-game tutorials would be a big help. I understand it's probably a low priority and the combo system is close to being universal, but even a few key ones per character would be nice. I'd assume they would have to figure some out when testing anyway

I'm also hoping the rest of the character designs models in S2 live up to S1. Unlike some people, I feel like they knocked it out of the park in S1. Character designs usually hook me on certain fighters, and this is the first one in ages, where I like so many I can't decide on even a few. Maya is ok, but seems less interesting or detailed than the others.

DrDogg

So about 1 reveal every month and a half, for a game that doesn't have anyway near as tight a dev/delivery schedule, or anywhere near as much cash behind it. And they're working with an engine they know inside and out.
And it's MK, the fighter with some of the worse, cookie-cutter character models + animation of any modern fighter! XD
I'd like to say that, but they are stepping up their game quite a bit in that department.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want more and better out of the KI guys, but looking at what other fighters are doing helps put some of our woes into perspective. I really am surprised they committed to such an aggressive release schedule with all that's stacked against them.

I love the fact that with everything that's happened we're still getting a season two on time, with an aggressive character release schedule. A launch of only two characters was lackluster, but unavoidable as far as I'm concerned. I applaud all the great work IG has done since taking over for DH.

That said, if we are in fact getting a character sometime in the next three weeks, I kind of expect to know more about it. A trailer releasing now for a character we'll get in two weeks would be more than enough to keep the hype alive. I'd love to see a stream of the character in action or get other info, but a simple 2-minute trailer at the start of every month would be more than enough.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm also hoping the rest of the character designs models in S2 live up to S1. Unlike some people, I feel like they knocked it out of the park in S1. Character designs usually hook me on certain fighters, and this is the first one in ages, where I like so many I can't decide on even a few. Maya is ok, but seems less interesting or detailed than the others.

There's a good sense of weight and presence to the S1 designs. Looking at the Tekken characters from their loketest, it was obvious how all the items, tassles, fabric clearly separated from skin, and defined muscles of KI raised the bar for "realistic-ish" 3D character design rendering in a fighter, for me.

I think the worse thing for Maya is less a lack of detail, and maybe a lack of flow and animation? Looser braids and fabric, along with animation that puts those objects to motion, would probably make her work out better.

That said, if we are in fact getting a character sometime in the next three weeks, I kind of expect to know more about it. A trailer releasing now for a character we'll get in two weeks would be more than enough to keep the hype alive. I'd love to see a stream of the character in action or get other info, but a simple 2-minute trailer at the start of every month would be more than enough.

I wonder if the IGN first stuff holds any of this back? If so... they need to do something more dramatic with them! Having a character reveal week-long blowout would be great. There's lots of elements to KI's characters (Defined moveset pieces, Unique combo traits, Personal Stages, Default and Retro Costumes, Accessory sets, backstory, relationship to other characters, Mick's fantastic music, and more), spreading all of that over some SCHEDULED events would really be a great way to maintain interest better.

If they can jump up the quality for character reveals as strongly as they're jumping up the UI changes for the next patch, we'll be quite well off. I really hope they're hearing the complaints on this.

vg260

There's a good sense of weight and presence to the S1 designs. Looking at the Tekken characters from their loketest, it was obvious how all the items, tassles, fabric clearly separated from skin, and defined muscles of KI raised the bar for "realistic-ish" 3D character design rendering in a fighter, for me.

I think the worse thing for Maya is less a lack of detail, and maybe a lack of flow and animation? Looser braids and fabric, along with animation that puts those objects to motion, would probably make her work out better.

Yeah, I think that's a big part of what I was trying to say. The extra geometry and detail on Spinal is very fluid and amazing. Even Jago has some moving pieces like the shin guards. She seems more flat, like one flat single textured model, with her outfit looking more like a body texture, and a bit bland as a result. I hope the other characters have more layered geometry so to speak.

derFeef

Lack of weigth is exactly what those S2 characters are suffering from. Maya does not look like a fighter in a fighting game that's getting moved around by a player - if that makes sense.

vg260

TJ doesn't have a much of a costume to work with, but Maya is disappointing in that regard. I'm going to be very disappointed if the notamummy doesn't have some flowing bandages and accessories modeled individually.

Zedox

I'm not worried about the designs for the characters. I think Maya is fine. Spinal is probably the best designed character in my opinion and that's telling seeing as he's just a skeleton. I do wish that in the middle of the month that he had the trailer released and then the next to last week a gameplay stream, and the actual release the last week. It would be nice...but hardly anyone has something as that structured for releasing information to keep us informed and hype. But we're not mid-month yet so we'll see what happens.

TJ doesn't have a much of a costume to work with, but Maya is disappointing in that regard. I'm going to be very disappointed if the notamummy doesn't have some flowing bandages and accessories modeled individually.

Mayas hair clipping through her body bothers the heck out of me. Double Helix have such an eye for detail stuff like that would've been easily noticed.
I'm not worried about the designs for the characters. I think Maya is fine. Spinal is probably the best designed character in my opinion and that's telling seeing as he's just a skeleton.

Completely agreed with you. There's so much happening with Spinals design, I love it. The best newly designed/updated character. You can tell that Double Helix were having a lot of fun with Spinal. His stage, his (incredible) theme song, his costumes and just the finer bits of detail added to him like his shield and skulls.

Doesn't make any sense.

Sydle

Mayas hair clipping through her body bothers the heck out of me. Double Helix have such an eye for detail stuff like that would've been easily noticed.

DH didn't iron out all the kinks either. Sadira's hair clips through her chest in her winner's pose. Orchid's hair doesn't even move when she's upside down and the way her head is tilted back looks plain awkward during her flik flak.

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle the bandages for #notamummy.

Borman

Hope you guys are ready for a fun Killer Instinct video tonight. A bit of a 360 from the type of thing you normally see on Youtube for the game.

vg260

How fast did accessories and colors unlock in S1, because man, it's a grind. I hate having to grind to unlock stuff in fighters. I hope they didn't make it longer in an an effort to sell gold. The base F2P model was fine, but this part makes me nervous. That and what is that Booster stuff suspected to be?

Also, based on some earlier posts it sounds like they were going to make other characters play able in Dojo mode. Is this true?

I don't know why, but I kind of forgot about Riptor for a moment. I realize we will be seeing her soon once that trailer for NotAMummy arrives. Definitely looking forward to it a lot more.

I'm also going to need a partner/rival to go against once I get an XB1. I need to practice my ass off once I get my hands on it, needing to catch up to the rest of you and get familiar with things.

Defect

I don't know why, but I kind of forgot about Riptor for a moment. I realize we will be seeing her soon once that trailer for NotAMummy arrives. Definitely looking forward to it a lot more.

I'm also going to need a partner/rival to go against once I get an XB1. I need to practice my ass off once I get my hands on it, needing to catch up to the rest of you and get familiar with things.
I need more KI friends. I'm not the best but I can put up a fight I think. And I will always be up to play
when I'm not on Halo :p

Gt- Defective 2

I need more KI friends. I'm not the best but I can put up a fight I think. And I will always be up to play
when I'm not on Halo :p

Gt- Defective 2

Awesome! Well I will save this post then. Haha.It'll be a while before I get XB1. T^T I'm too impatient.

Borman

If someone feels its thread worthy, feel free to make one. It is still processing what should be 720p60 footage.

prDWWMN.jpg

Woah, mind if I post this on Ultra-combo?

Feel free to link to the video. So long as people arent reuploading it right away, I dont mind. The more attention it gets, the better I am able to do my preservation job.

Pachinko

That the game existed on 360 actually explains quite a bit , they had their engine up and running (double helix that is) and simply ported it up, adding in higher detail backgrounds and mucho particle effects in the process. Then, more recently with the various software changes in the xbox one - Iron Galaxy was able to bump the resolution up a notch without otherwise affecting the games fluidity.

I'm proud to report that I finally bought an xbone today and messed around with this a bit, bought the ultra editions of both seasons. Is KI 1 classic just gone now since I waited too long ? Only a mild disappointment really if that's the case.

Now my only real "aw damn" moment is that I kind of want a TE2 stick to play this a bit better. The controller isn't bad actually but having all the buttons made more accessible is still a huge plus.

Borman

I see someone over on Ultra Combo speculating about the purpose of this build. Trust me when I say that the game was developed far longer than just a pitch. This particular build is from 2013, for instance. Long after Double Helix sealed the deal.

vg260

I'm terrible about promising to scrimmage online and getting busy with other stuff, but I just got it, and am pretty bad/spazzy, so pm if you want.

Borman

Amazing, when exactly was this cancelled during the lifecycle? I actually like how the shadow moves start, with the screen going dark. Might be distracting in the long run but very cool.

Also Thunder's double grapple move, very cool!

This build is from a few months prior before work on the 360 apparently stopped.

dankir

This build is from a few months prior before work on the 360 apparently stopped.

No I meant what year was this cancelled? I interviewed Mick Gordon about the music and stuff and he said they started work a year before the e3 reveal.

So it must of been closed to that right? Because the sounds, vocals, character select are still in the X1 version.

Borman

No I meant what year was this cancelled? I interviewed Mick Gordon about the music and stuff and he said they started work a year before the e3 reveal.

So it must of been closed to that right? Because the sounds, vocals, character select are still in the X1 version.

It was canned sometime in 2013. I dont have an exact date yet and can only speculate based on the video that I have, but the XBO version was well underway at that point.

Top Bottom