• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Swat gear and dinobot gear.
I'll take a screenshot when I get back to my dorm in a hour.

Barney color also.

Played a few matchs with Hisako, pretty fun though I'm bad at countering.

Swat gear? Interesting.

Thanks for that!

And Barney Riptor is the GOAT. lol

Jarlaxle

The trailer was amazing and Hisako looks like a ton of fun.

I think Cinder looks great. I'm one of the minority who never really cared for Cinder back on the original. He was just some fire dude. Kind of boring. He looks a lot more interesting here and I'm surprisingly excited to see how he plays now. I'm also excited to see his different colors and can see a lot of potential there.

I wish I could see Orchid in that cheerleader outfit. lol If fact, it really makes me with Iron Galaxy would go back and do something with the accessories, outfits for the season 1 cast at a later date. I know they have a lot on their plate but maybe as an extra for Season 3 since there won't be an older KI arcade game to peddle with their Ultra pack.

I'm having an internal conflict tonight. I'm still only 400 points or so through Gold and need to get to killer. If I start using Hisako right away (which is what I usually do with when a new character drops) I'm afraid I'll start racking up the losses right away and start dropping again. I don't know if I should just power through to Killer and start using her or do it now and get my 20 ranked wins while everyone else is still trying to learn her as well.

On a side note, I guess I'll be googling Rosie Jones later. :)

Not to steal Doukou's thunder but I went ahead and took screenshots of Retro Riptor's other two accessory sets, as well as the aforementioned Barney color.

Fri_Mar_27_13-26-06_EDT_2015.png

Fri_Mar_27_13-31-28_EDT_2015.png

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Got off work early. o/

Been playing for about 30 minutes, IG hit an absolute home run with Hisako. Forget Aganos, she is easily the most fun character to use. Her animation is on par if not better than anything from S1 and her play style was one sorely missing from the game. I'm so stoked to mess around with her tonight. (Pun intended).

You can actually hear her bones cracking and crunching during her idle stance when she twists her neck and back. O_O

Oh and Bayliss nailed Riptors retro, it looks great.

.la1n

Bummer. I noted earlier in case you might see it, but you might have gotten thrown by the the 4pm time listed being in UTC, which was 12pm eastern

It's all good, I appreciate it anyway :) and yeah the 4pm time being in UTC threw me off, lol.

First thoughts on Hisako: difficult to use but a lot of fun once you start mixing up the timing on her attacks. It's like every new character, takes a while before all her moves become second nature. She is definitely not a character that you can just jump in and be great with. I really like her stage ultra and her stage in general. The Mick Gordan track for her stage is so good, can't wait to see what else he does for the remaining cast.

Retro Riptor looks good, I actually like the accessories for her. Aganos' ultra set of accessories is pretty nice too, makes him look even more massive.

Final thoughts: they did fix Kan-Ra's stage ultra (thanks guys.) I also noticed they changed up the character art in survival mode for the season 2 character. It all looks pretty good except Omen, I am not sure what his is supposed to be? Also, seems to be more improvements made on the character select speed and I am not having issues with character textures not loading in properly that I have noticed.

For the Killer of Killers achievement to defeat 10 killer status players in Ranked, does that include the ones I defeat in gold or does it only start accumulating when I'm a killer myself? If anyone knows that is.

Really wish KI had achievement tracking.

Edit: Welp nevermind. Just got the achievement and I'm still in gold.

Edit2: Yay, hit killer. That was long overdue. Went 38-21, most of it as Hisako so I suppose that's not too bad. Now hopefully killer isn't as rough as some people are saying.

.la1n

One thing I did forget to mention is the cancel window changes they made to TJ, Maya, Kan-Ra, and Riptor make them feel so much better to play. It's especially noticeable on Maya.

tapedeck

One thing I did forget to mention is the cancel window changes they made to TJ, Maya, Kan-Ra, and Riptor make them feel so much better to play. It's especially noticeable on Maya.
Yeah I thought TJ felt better, glad to see it wasnt my imagination.

malfcn

Lost to Aganos and it popped. I hate that character right now. I either stomp on them, or they turtle everything and then smash me.

.la1n

Can't believe they require you to start the game to tell you that there is a 6gb update. Why it didn't download automatically?

I haven't figured that out yet. Usually my games auto update since I have instant on mode but every now and then a game won't and it prompts me to update manually. Master Chief collection was always bad to do that but I got rid of that POS.

tapedeck

Retro Riptor looks so much better than the original to me with way better color options.
Yeah it does her KI1 look justice, I may even like it better. I love how it incorporates a bit of that snake look. The classics for S2 have actually delivered, gives me hope that Cinders classic will be awesome.

That said for TJ's Classic I still wish they would fix his odd haircut..just make it exactly like it was in KI2 and it'd be perfect. Not that hard to do lol.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Can't believe they require you to start the game to tell you that there is a 6gb update. Why it didn't download automatically?

I've come to realise it's a timing thing.

I've had occasions where KI updated on its own, then other times I've had to start the game. Ditto for everything else. Dash updates, app updates etc. it's purely timing. If you happen to be on the console when the update is pushed to your console, then you're updating manually. But if your console happens to be off when the update gets pushed, then it will do it automatically.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I've come to realise it's a timing thing.

I've had occasions where KI updated on its own, then other times I've had to start the game. Ditto for everything else. Dash updates, app updates etc. it's purely timing. If you happen to be on the console when the update is pushed to your console, then you're updating manually. But if your console happens to be off when the update gets pushed, then it will do it automatically.

Or maybe if the game is in a suspended state?

.la1n

Did they turn up the particles? I swear it looks better now

lol I was going to say I wish they'd turn them down, especially on Jago, Orchid, and Glacius. It's too much especially on some stage's lighting and it lingers far more than needed. It's the same as Jago's fireball darkening the screen, it's a neat effect until it becomes intrusive to the game play. I swear in a Orchid or Jago mirror match I sometimes cannot tell at all what is happening.

.la1n

For anyone that was wondering:

https://twitter.com/ishmae1/status/581984323093417984

I imagine the reasoning was that n00b seemed a bit insulting to players and I agree. Especially for a game fashioning itself to be one of the most welcoming of new players. I do understand that it was tongue in cheek by double helix but as we all know not everyone probably understood that.

bumpkin

I imagine the reasoning was that n00b seemed a bit insulting to players and I agree. Especially for a game fashioning itself to be one of the most welcoming of new players. I do understand that it was tongue in cheek by double helix but as we all know not everyone probably understood that.
I hate that I can't select a difficulty for survival like I used to be able to in season 1. I'm not very good at the game, so I used to set it to beginner and eventually it would ratchet up to veteran around the 20th match. Now it's at veteran by default and I'm lucky if I can get 3 or 4 wins. Kind of discouraging.

I hate that I can't select a difficulty for survival like I used to be able to in season 1. I'm not very good at the game, so I used to set it to beginner and eventually it would ratchet up to veteran around the 20th match. Now it's at veteran by default and I'm lucky if I can get 3 or 4 wins. Kind of discouraging.

You can. Press Y on the character select screen.

.la1n

Nope, feels tighter if anything.

Also Hisako has an infinite ultra lol. People have done over 1000 hits.
Hopefully it gets patched soon.

Oh god I'm getting flash backs to Sadiras infinite she used to have, awful. Also, haven't noticed any more character select lag than usual but I have noticed stages take longer to load.

After a long session if KI with some local players, I found out Hisako is a little difficult to use.

You can't play her rushdown, and conserving your Wrath is important. Playing a patient footsies game seems to work out for her. Her counters stuff any meaty attacks used on your wakeup, but she is susceptible to jumping and throws. Predict and react accordingly, I suppose.

I do like how you can get a light or medium manual off of her normal throw. So far, I'm liking Hisako but she'll take a little bit to get used to.

tapedeck

Ah yeah, I was playing on Hard and it felt a lot easier and I thought 'Very Hard' was a new setting. Good change IMO.

Pachinko

I finally got to play more than 5 minutes tonight and I really like Hisako. She mixes some of the best elements of Orchid and Spinal into this unique menagerie of attacks.

It's also kind of funny just how small she is on the screen. Seems like the name of the high level game is tons of mixups because it's harder to read her attacks than normal.

Through sheer luck , I got paired up with a dude who normally mains Jago (was level 50) who decided to also give her a try and I managed to squeek out a win and even an ultra finish. Was pretty satisfying. I think I may even be over my problem with not blocking, now I just to need to start learning to punish instead of turtling. Or even counterattacking for that matter. Once this guy switched back to Jago I got schooled about as hard as one might expect mostly thanks to some great reads on their part combined with some excellent deceptive use of cross ups.

I feel like I know all this stuff on paper but the execution is where I really need to up my game. Practice , practice, practice.

malfcn

I'm done for awhile. Killers use too much network manipulation. When the match all of a sudden turns to shit and they become god tier, nope.

CodeNfX

I have not played or dl the patch for couple months, just dl the patch but now the season 1 characters showing this content not installed. Is this a bug? How to fix it?

Doukou

I have not played or dl the patch for couple months, just dl the patch but now the season 1 characters showing this content not installed. Is this a bug? How to fix it?

Not sure, I'll ask the dumb question if it was fully downloaded.

Also I noticed something weird about Hisakos color 9, if you view it with the accessories the floral pattern will be appear on the sides of her dress and will turn into the other dress when you rotate.

Top Bottom