• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead (PC) |OT| F*** Off Into Space!

Uraizen

Banned
The Revive mash thing definitely doesn't work for me, tried it again. The bpm maxes at 70-ish and then plummets to usually 35 even though I'm mashing as hard as possible. Then it's at 0 when you're supposed to push RT, and then fails. 1/10 times it succeeds due to some bug where I mash all the buttons on the controller as I'm holding RT down.

But I don't mind too much as it adds a layer of challenge; don't die. Going Very Hard on my first playthrough might not have been the best choice, but it's quite fun.

Lovin the game, it's Suda through and through, in glorious 1080p/ 60fps.

At what point do you get the ability to do this in the game? I've already beat Mission 4 and have yet to run into it. I just use the heal ability by exchanging blood for health.

drotahorror

Anyone know why my game randomly drops to 40fps? Like I was just playing the game and it was at 60 no problem, then I beat the mission and at the menu it goes to 40 (I alt tab, then go back in and it was 60). It also did this during a cutscene but after switching a scene back to gameplay it went back to 60. Dropped to 40 once randomly during gameplay as well then popped up to 60 a second or two after.

In the ini I have

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=60
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

MinDesiredFrameRate=60
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=60
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

I posted some twice because it's listed twice in the ini file under a different header or w/e.

Thanks. This is if your searching the ini with "framerate" descending order.

EDIT* So I changed the min/max values back to default (I think) 22 and 32. And just changed the TRUE smoothframerate options to FALSE and now it's fixed.

cj_iwakura

All this extra talk about Suda just reminds me I just pick up a copy of Hand in Killer7 if I see one turn up that doesn't cost a small fortune. Shame there was any digital extras with KiD, especial a more complete soundtrack that what PS3 retail got.

It was being sold on GH's website for $20 a couple years back. I jumped on it. There's also a translation in the wild. It's not as good without it, but it's still nice to own.

jediyoshi

Anyone know why my game randomly drops to 40fps? Like I was just playing the game and it was at 60 no problem, then I beat the mission and at the menu it goes to 40 (I alt tab, then go back in and it was 60). It also did this during a cutscene but after switching a scene back to gameplay it went back to 60. Dropped to 40 once randomly during gameplay as well then popped up to 60 a second or two after.

Ideally you'd change bSmoothFrameRate to false.

Should my ingame settings reflect the custom resolution set? Game is still capping out 1080p in settings.

No it shouldn't, once you've edited the ini and launch the game, it should be in the resolution you specified.

Dr Dogg

It was being sold on GH's website for $20 a couple years back. I jumped on it. There's also a translation in the wild. It's not as good without it, but it's still nice to own.

Yeah I can remember seeing that. Shame the postage to the UK was about 4 times the cost of the book. There was a small art/promo book for Shadows of the Damned I saw on Amazon.co.jp that I've not seen crop up very often and then there's the uber limited No More Heroes 2 Hoppers Edition with the Erotica Comic. For one the most unique auteur's in games I'm surprised there aren't too many materials out there on Suda's games.

drotahorror

Is it just me or are the blacks in this game kind of crushed? I never noticed this with any other game with my monitor.
Edit* Think it's just the art style. Plus it's not even black, it's more blue or something.

Also, diggin this a lot more than Lollipop Chainsaw (which isn't surprising for me).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Added in the laziest way I could.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

cj_iwakura

Yeah I can remember seeing that. Shame the postage to the UK was about 4 times the cost of the book. There was a small art/promo book for Shadows of the Damned I saw on Amazon.co.jp that I've not seen crop up very often and then there's the uber limited No More Heroes 2 Hoppers Edition with the Erotica Comic. For one the most unique auteur's in games I'm surprised there aren't too many materials out there on Suda's games.

Check out the Killer7 comic: Devil's Due. It's pretty great.

part1comic.gif

Vic_Bast

So, which file do I have to edit?
DefaultEngine.ini or KidEngine.ini

Also,when changing "MaxSmoothedFrameRate" what line should be edited? There's always 2 of them.

Authority

Banned
Old news,

Famitsu Review Scores

Killer is Dead (PS3) – 9/9/9/8 [35/40]
Killer is Dead (360) – 9/9/9/8 [35/40]

...earning the Grasshopper Manufacture title a Platinum award.

In contract with Metacritic that gave it 64/100 and user score 7.5 on average.

Vazra

New Glitch.
On a specific mission you have to use a radar to find some statues. The radar vibrates when you are near the object and when I reached the second statue the game left the controller rumbling like crazy.

Restarting the game seems to fix the issue.

Salsa

that intro was badass

looking forward to see what's so bad about this game considering the style and visuals alone go a long way for me so far

started on Hard, good choice?

cj_iwakura

that intro was badass

looking forward to see what's so bad about this game considering the style and visuals alone go a long way for me so far

I don't advise it. Normal was pretty difficult. And there's nothing bad about it.

Vazra

that intro was badass

I like it on hard. Enemies are definitely more active than on normal mode. Practice your dodging skills on the first missions cause you will need that.

As for what is bad about it I guess some people wanted to be spoon fed by the story which isnt that hard to understand after a second playthrough and the gameplay is simplistic (still has some depth to it) and the Gigolo Missions which were the controversial aspects of the game which are simply representing a side of Mondo yet they wonder why most characters have not a lot of personality. IMO the gameplay is the most polished of the Grasshopper games despite having plenty of room for growth.

Salsa

well apparently you can change the difficulty between missions, so i'll keep at it and see if I have to tone it down

after doing some googling it seems to be a pretty big jump in the sense that Normal is too easy and Hard is too hard. Bummer

cj_iwakura

well apparently you can change the difficulty between missions, so i'll keep at it and see if I have to tone it down

after doing some googling it seems to be a pretty big jump in the sense that Normal is too easy and Hard is too hard. Bummer

Normal starts out easy, but the final level is kind of tough. It's not a cakewalk.

Salsa

wait, does editing the .ini to 60fps really make the revives impossible? :/ might hold out on playing then till there's another fix. shit

Mechazawa

I guess the 60fps thing kind of makes button mashing in general harder. I had to really hammer into the Chapter 4 boss fight to win the QTE.

Still worth the 60fps, though.

Clawww

it's beautiful

also, game bugged out trying to exit. I backed out of the mission selected, hit 'Exit to Title.' the menu disappeared and nothing worked. I had to close the game manually

drotahorror

wait, does editing the .ini to 60fps really make the revives impossible? :/ might hold out on playing then till there's another fix. shit

I've seen people saying it's impossible and perhaps I just got lucky, but my first revive I got it. smoothframerate set to FALSE (at 60fps).

This game is freakin awesome btw. I feel bad that I didn't pick it up on consoles but I felt burned on Suda's last title.

jediyoshi

So here's exactly what happens to me on running 60fps during revives (first boss spoiler)

http://a.pomf.se/ppqzgh.webm

I don't break 100 and get the instant revive, but the defib immediately pops up and works instantly. Unfortunately for me 60fps breaks the gigolo missions by crashing the cutscene when it finishes, so looks like I'll have to be playing without

Yes, but I've refused to use them. Is that the only way to use that ability?

They reset if you reload a checkpoint or finish the mission (at least on normal), so you may as well use your free revives.

So here's exactly what happens to me on running 60fps during revives (first boss spoiler)

I don't break 100 and get the instant revive, but the defib immediately pops up and works instantly. Unfortunately for me 60fps breaks the gigolo missions by crashing the cutscene when it finishes, so looks like I'll have to be playing without

That's what happens to me, except I just don't get revived. But the gigolo missions work fine for me. Hum...

Cerity

Played through the first two stages and I'm probably going to wait until the 60fps issues get fixed before I touch it again. Getting caught up in reading for now.

Uraizen

Banned
They reset if you reload a checkpoint or finish the mission (at least on normal), so you may as well use your free revives.

Nah, that would make the game too easy for me.

---

Speaking of the game, it crashes every single time on Mondo's Girls Mission 3. First it crashed at the start, second time I finished it and it crashed right after. Why is it crashing so much?! ;_;

Patch, please.

Arklite

Finally the game's art gets the performance it deserved, more or less. My revive mash fails but everything else seems fine, can't wait to reach some of the flashier stages.

Astarte

that intro was badass

If you regularly play action games, not playing on hard will be pretty boring. I found KiD to be one of the easiest action games in a while.

drotahorror

http://a.pomf.se/ppqzgh.webm

I see, yeah thats how my revive went as well. I thought it went correctly hah. Luckily none of my other stuff is crashing or anything like that. I've done gigolo, challenge stages, and 3 story missions.

Vazra

I see, yeah thats how my revive went as well. I thought it went correctly hah. Luckily none of my other stuff is crashing or anything like that. I've done gigolo, challenge stages, and 3 story missions.

Mine is working fine now. Try Verify integrity of the game cache. That fixed my issues with the Gigolo Missions and I havent had any issues with the QTE anymore.

Got to slam through the first 3 chapters and good golly miss molly what a stunner! I was an advocate for this game before but now, now the game isn't being held back by the hardware. Laughed out loud when I went into the room with the flickering tv and there was no screentearing.

The Mikamash doesn't work for me either, but it really doesn't matter, you still get revived. Pretty sure there's an achievement tied to it, though.

Edit:

I'll do the same Nito, thanks!

CLU

Neo Member
This means you can jackup the difficulty in the config tho

Just jacking up the amount of pain enemies dish out hardly counts as making the game more difficult. It just makes it more tedious. Now, if you could make the AI smarter in the ini's...

drotahorror

Mine is working fine now. Try Verify integrity of the game cache. That fixed my issues with the Gigolo Missions and I havent had any issues with the QTE anymore.

Do you still have bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE in the config ini? Verifying integrity should reset that.

EDIT* I meant FALSE. Did you change it form True to False after verifying?

Tizoc

At work so I can't see all the images which I assume help at having the game run at 60 FPS aside from what others have posted as text.
Won't be awake until like 6 hours from now so maybe OP can be updated with instructions on how to change the .ini file to get desired results?

Vazra

Do you still have bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE in the config ini? Verifying integrity should reset that.

EDIT* I meant FALSE. Did you change it form True to False after verifying?

I changed it back to False and works fine for me or my fingers are absurdly fast.

At work so I can't see all the images which I assume help at having the game run at 60 FPS aside from what others have posted as text.
Won't be awake until like 6 hours from now so maybe OP can be updated with instructions on how to change the .ini file to get desired results?

I'll work on that

Bobby_Sullivan

Neo Member
I played a couple of missions of this.

This has to be played with a controller. There is a lot of mashing in this game and I don't care what anyone says...a keyboard is not for mashing.

I'm seriously digging the aesthetic, though the extremely deep contrast can be annoying sometime.

I put the difficulty one level below the hardest (as I always do) and the first boss was making me her bitch for half an hour!

So far so good...

drotahorror

Alright this game is much more fun on Very Hard. The normal enemies actually attack you which lets you do the awesome timed dodge more often resulting in a flashier and more frantic kill.

drotahorror

So I just changed difficulty to very hard and was fighting that boss on the third chapter, died twice and I couldn't get the heart rate or w/e past 50ish. Still did the same thing. Had to use RT and release to get up.

What even happens if you get the heartrate to 100?

Vazra

So I just changed difficulty to very hard and was fighting that boss on the third chapter, died twice and I couldn't get the heart rate or w/e past 50ish. Still did the same thing. Had to use RT and release to get up.

What even happens if you get the heartrate to 100?

You go back with full health. Just like using RT tbh.

Top Bottom