• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 Early Access |OT| I Buy You. Birth sign: DOSH

mcz117chief

When strictly about talking melee prowess, the crux of your original argument, there is no comparison. There is no discussion about this for all the reasons I stated.

Now if you were to say the Berserker could use a little something to help round the class out however, I wouldn't disagree. I'd like to see temporary % damage reduction on a successful parry for example on top of making the Eviscerator actually useful.

He has extra attack damage, true, but does it show ? You still have to deal the exact same amount of hits whether you are playing as a medic or a zerker. I don't see the increase of damage having any noticeable effects.

And I agree, Eviscerator is just useless.

What zerker needs is the removal of movement speed bonus, it only gives him an escape option which shouldn't be present when playing a zerker. You either go all in or not.

Second, he needs hp or resistance of some kind. Resistance would be better since he would be easier to heal. He should start at at least 10 % and go up 5% every 5th level.

Next, he needs an actual damage boost, people at tripwire forums said that his 25% at level 25 is negligible (the amount of hits to kill the enemies stays the same). We need a 75% or 100% damage increase at lvl 25.

Lastly he needs some kind of special mechanic, some stacks that give him buffs the longer he is engaged, hence the name berserker. For every kill within 5 or 6 seconds he could get a stack that gives him some buffs for example.

I definitely agree with the too squishy thing. Maybe they could tweak it a bit so the damage resistance berserkers have goes up when they level so that they'd have the same survivability as the other classes but with lower HP making them easier to heal up. That and a bit more of a boost to melee damage + a health regen (they're meant to be on the front lines after all) would make them the go to melee class imo.

I understand that they wanted to avoid making berserkers OP like they were in KF1, but I feel like they went too far in the other direction.

I still am planning on maining them until the level reset happens (at which point I'll move to a new perk), but I want to see them improved.

I agree with everything. I am also maining him in hopes that I will find him useful. He is fun to play but only on normal do I actually feel like I am helping.

Lum1n3s

Why does the game take so long to go to the lobby once you've won/lost the game? Is there anyway to get back to the main lobby of the game room without having to wait?

I did a bit of research on this last night as this is the first I've heard of it. It was apparently a PC Gamer magazine exclusive over a year ago and the issues are really hard to find now. I searched on eBay and found only one issue, with a single bid for over $100!

Congrats on winning it, seems pretty special!

Thanks. Although, the way I got my code was by entering the giveaway they had on their stream yesterday. Kind of surprised I won.

How does a Zerker handle the boss?

Seriously. You can't parry his stuff as far as I'm aware, the 'nades do far too much damage, and his speed outclasses you for the grab. If you are on a map where you can switch elevation, then yeah, but still it seems like pure chance on not getting fucked.

mcz117chief

Seriously. You can't parry his stuff as far as I'm aware, the 'nades do far too much damage, and his speed outclasses you for the grab. If you are on a map where you can switch elevation, then yeah, but still it seems like pure chance on not getting fucked.

You can parry him. But support does the best job when it comes to bosses.

Astarte

Alright guys, thanks for letting me know about the voice chatter option.
This game's really fun, but people who split up during Hans are the worst.
Also what's up with the katana being an off class weapon for serk? Another melee class?

Kinsei

Banned
Can you parry the grab? I just end up getting killed the moment I engage him.

When he sucks the life out of you? Don't bother. Attacking him while he's chasing someone for the grab and while he's mid-grab is a waste of time and ammo. Since he never stops chasing you you have to get grabbed to continue the fight.

nowarning

Gonna pick this up tonight, been a bit busy with work/GTAV/DS2 so not got round to it yet. Looking forward to getting a few hours in later!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I really wish the medic just started out with the Medic SMG instead. Dunno what they'd have to change with the pistol but it feels so flimsy.

I became drastically more useful to my team when I had the medic SMG round two rather than keeping the pistol till round 3.

I haven't heard anyone get mad over voice or chat yet. It's been pretty pleasant actually.

Yeah, definitely. Most players I've been with have just been using it to call out big bads or something similar. I feel like as I move from normal there'll probably be more use of the mic to strategize, but I haven't had a negative experience with it so far.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah, definitely. Most players I've been with have just been using it to call out big bads or something similar. I feel like as I move from normal there'll probably be more use of the mic to strategize, but I haven't had a negative experience with it so far.

I have this weird issue where using the PTT button for the in game VOIP causes my game to lock up for like 3 seconds on press and release.

Anyone have anything like this happen to them?

He has extra attack damage, true, but does it show ? You still have to deal the exact same amount of hits whether you are playing as a medic or a zerker. I don't see the increase of damage having any noticeable effects.

And I agree, Eviscerator is just useless.

What zerker needs is the removal of movement speed bonus, it only gives him an escape option which shouldn't be present when playing a zerker. You either go all in or not.

Second, he needs hp or resistance of some kind. Resistance would be better since he would be easier to heal. He should start at at least 10 % and go up 5% every 5th level.

Next, he needs an actual damage boost, people at tripwire forums said that his 25% at level 25 is negligible (the amount of hits to kill the enemies stays the same). We need a 75% or 100% damage increase at lvl 25.

Lastly he needs some kind of special mechanic, some stacks that give him buffs the longer he is engaged, hence the name berserker. For every kill within 5 or 6 seconds he could get a stack that gives him some buffs for example.
Movement speed is vital. No class can hold their ground for long in a full game during Hell on Earth and to a lesser extent Suicidal's later waves, so constantly repositioning is key. Remove that from the Berserker and he'll get torn apart no matter the hypothetical resistances he'd receive as compensation. And the sheer notion that a Medic (effectively the lifeline of the team) or a Support (with obscene shotgun damage) should ever bother with melee is ridiculous. Significantly slower attack speed than the Berserker + the Support comparatively speaking also moving like molasses = frequently getting grabbed by Clots, straight-up. You'd be a huge liability to your team if you ever tried to pull those kind of shenanigans; not only for risking death more often, but also for lowering everyone else's survivability.

The damage increase is noticeable when aiming for headshots on the bigger targets, though I wouldn't necessarily disagree that this is probably something the devs could up a notch, be it a numbers boost or a more interesting mechanic like the stacking idea you mentioned. A similar engaging hook for increased durability would also be appreciated. Regardless though, Berserkers aren't bad. Nowhere near as potent as how they were in Killing Floor 1 (where they were silly), but they're a reliable frontline that can stay in the fight for a long time with a Medic in tow while the Support's primary niche is bursting down high-priority targets. Which he'll never be able to do with a Pulverizer.

You can parry the boss.

uyqafl.gif

Grenades are a threat, but if you stay up close like above the chances of him throwing some are drastically lower. Alternatively you can also circle him and wear him down with the Eviscerator. Solo'ing him might be tough when he grabs you, since ideally you'll want to pass around a corner immediatedly after the fact to avoid his follow-up attacks and that's easier said than done. Non-issue in team games on the other hand; get grabbed, any decent Medic will throw out a grenade to recover a chunk of armor, back out and repeat once fully healed.

I really wish the medic just started out with the Medic SMG instead. Dunno what they'd have to change with the pistol but it feels so flimsy.

I became drastically more useful to my team when I had the medic SMG round two rather than keeping the pistol till round 3.
Everyone should buy a Medic Pistol because it's all-around great. Little recoil, better at disposing of lesser mooks with headshots than the other pistol, healing darts that even non-Medics can deploy, inexpensive purchase and only 1 weight. If anything, I wish I could sell the other pistol the Medic carries.

Lum1n3s

For a couple of games where we lost, I had the doctor just staring at me lol
killing_floor_2_end_of_round_doctor_by_digi_matrix-d8qrewk.gif
Yeah, that!!! That's what always happens to me and it annoys the shit out of me because I always think the game messed up on me or something. I thought I was the only one experiencing it but I guess not.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this but when I was playing a match, there was a bloat that was chasing me along with 2 of the running clots. Well, when I reached the door the bloat came through and blocked the way of the 2 clots so I guess they got pissed and started attacking the bloat so they could get to me and killed it. This was in hard mode btw.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to sinking some time into this - played all 3 maps and hit level 5 on Support. Some random thoughts...

- Hitting the "configure microphone" button in audio options never works... It just makes all game sound silent until I restart KF2. :X So I haven't tried using VOIP myself, I can hear it fine from other players though.

- Zeds don't fight each other anymore? Kept seeing a Scrake get set on fire by a Husk and he just kept on truckin' after us.

- I dig the healing pistol as a cheap off-class that lets you dart people at range. I was pretty manic about leveling up Med at any chance regardless of what class I played in KF1, so this is much more convenient than syringe spam heh.

- The "switch to last weapon" bind needs to come back.

Overall, the game looks fantastic and plays gloriously. It seems pretty well optimized too - I'm running most settings on Ultra and have been sitting at ~110 fps on my aging PC (2500k + GTX 670).

I'm definitely in love with this game.
Tripwire has improved the series meeting my taste.

Honestly, the biggest thing is the feel. It's so smooth, the sounds are so satisfying and even the gore/damage really makes it more fun. It just feels overall much better.

nilbog21

Banned
Is there a guide for the mini bosses? I have no idea what aggrevates them and some of them just outrun me and kill me and it feels like there literally nothing else I could have done

KF2 makes the first game feel like a proof of concept prototype.

A little, yeah. Once more weapons/classes and mods start coming in I might never go back.

Honestly, the biggest thing is the feel. It's so smooth, the sounds are so satisfying and even the gore/damage really makes it more fun. It just feels overall much better.

Yes. Taking down mobs with the ARs or using the AA12 and turning yourself into a zed mulcher feels better than it ever did in KF1. Zerker feels a lot more fun for myself personally as well.

Kinsei

Banned
Is there a guide for the mini bosses? I have no idea what aggrevates them and some of them just outrun me and kill me and it feels like there literally nothing else I could have done

Fleshpounds are random and will unrage after a set amount of time, or if you parry them. Scrakes rage after taking enough damage and never stop.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
What? Support seems pretty weak in the HP department to me. Get charged by that chainsaw enemy and GG.

Those bastards are my biggest downfall in the game when they rage, fuckin scrakes. Generally though I've found support to be pretty great, especially when you get the AA12 shotgun. You really do need a good medic who keeps throwing the medic grenades though, they're a lifesaver.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Two questions!

1) Is progress going to transfer out of the early access?

2) Is there a GMG discount code out there for this?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Does anyone know what .ini changes to make to increase corpse count on screen? I swear there was a post with screenshots in this thread but I guess it's gone now?

Kinsei

Banned
Why do people attack scrakes even when others tell them not to? So many wipes on hard because someone decides to chuck grenades at a scrake as soon as it appears when the team isn't ready to fight it. The things never rage until you deal enough damage to them, so they're not a threat until you hurt them.

Any twitch/youtube players who have been playing this alot?
This guy streams it a lot (ever since closed beta started) and plays a mean Berserker:

http://www.twitch.tv/tminator64/

He's going to start Hell on Earth difficulty runs once he hits level 20 too.

Why do people attack scrakes even when others tell them not to? So many wipes on hard because someone decides to chuck grenades at a scrake as soon as it appears when the team isn't ready to fight it. The things never rage until you deal enough damage to them, so they're not a threat until you hurt them.
Worse is when a Fleshpound is hauling ass towards the team, everyone's setting themselves up to bring him down... and then some schmo goes out of his way to draw aggro on some far-off Scrake. Don't quite know what compels that type of behaviour either.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Those bastards are my biggest downfall in the game when they rage, fuckin scrakes. Generally though I've found support to be pretty great, especially when you get the AA12 shotgun. You really do need a good medic who keeps throwing the medic grenades though, they're a lifesaver.

Them and the Fleshpounds are the worst. Everything else (besides the boss, anyway) is pretty manageable.

spiritfox

This guy streams it a lot (ever since closed beta started) and plays a mean Berserker:

http://www.twitch.tv/tminator64/

He's going to start Hell on Earth difficulty runs once he hits level 20 too.

Worse is when a Fleshpound is hauling ass towards the team, everyone's setting themselves up to bring him down... and then some schmo goes out of his way to draw aggro on some far-off Scrake. Don't quite know what compels that type of behaviour either.

They most likely don't know how much damage Scrakes can deal, especially if they never played the 1st game before. In L4D the only thing that needs teamwork are Tanks, and they have miniboss written all over them. OTOH, Scrakes just appear as part of the mob with no fanfare or anything, so they think it's just another mob character when it can wipe teams.

Paertan

Medic grenade is great for Scrake and Fleshpound. Until siren screams and the grenade are destroyed. Really wish the grenade would remain as long as they have activated.

BHK3

Banned
circle him and wear him down with the Eviscerator. Solo'ing him might be tough when he grabs you, since ideally you'll want to pass around a corner immediatedly after the fact to avoid his follow-up attacks and that's easier said than done. Non-issue in team games on the other hand; get grabbed, any decent Medic will throw out a grenade to recover a chunk of armor, back out and repeat once fully healed..
Solo'ing in normal is actually really not that bad, I did it after only a short day of playing and maybe level 5 beserker? Just let him grab you, heal and immediately switch your weapon(animation canceling is pretty important) and book it around a corner. His nerve gas is not that bad at close range, he'll throw it at your feet while you're running and by the time they explode half a second later you'll be in safe distance. I just use the hammer and AA12 to actually damage him while just running around the level finding ammo. I ran out of ammo and just started hammering the fucker till he died, you heal A LOT when solo on normal so it's really not that hard, it's great practice to learn level layouts or patterns of enemies. I tried the harder difficulties solo but you have to be a much higher level and it really seems like enemy spawning will fuck you hard, theres been many a time where I'm doing great and I'm like wave 4/5 on hard then suddenly 5 spiders spawn behind me when I checked there were none a second ago and then I'm swarmed since that difficulty when Zeds begin to run.

Honestly I think every enemy is fine aside from bloats, didn't they explode and hurt you in KF1 or am I mixing them up with boomers again? They just seem way too tanky and deadly at low levels, it's like a constant 5 headshot thing with them and you can't always get that. When I dick around on HoE if I kill the bloats the rest of the wave isn't that bad, having this 5 headshot limit tank enemy that seems to feel nothing if shot in the body running at you puking doing 80 damage ain't fun! Though I'm already used to clots being very quck and gorefests in 100% run-around-and-swing-arm mode, really exciting stuff.

MoonGred

After having no issues for the first day I'm now unable to play single or multiplayer. When I first boot up the game I'm able to browse servers etc, connecting isn't an issue either. The games hard crashes as soon as I click "ready up". The screen freezes for a few seconds before it crashes to desktop. After this crash I'll boot up the game again for it to crash as soon as it's passed the intro logos. A reboot of my pc is the only thing that will allow me to get past this.

I had a look around but couldn't find anyone with the same issue.

At launch day I was able to play the game without any issues, with a solid 120 fps.

Does anyone know a fix for this?

nowarning

I played a few games last night, real fun. I forgot how hard it is when you start off with no perk upgrades or anything, the Scar rifle still seems class though so as soon as I could afford that I was blasting the majority of zeds away. I kept forgetting you can run now as well, I just kept walking around with my knife out haha. The weapons feel great, I had a nice grin on my face when I first started using the Scar.

I cranked everything to ultra, runs fine for the most part but there's a little stutter here and there, i7 4770k & GTX 970. I think it might be something I have set in Nvidia control panel so going to have a look later.

Probably going to put a fair few hours into it over the weekend, looking forward to leveling up some stuff.

teokrazia

Yeye, Tripwire definitely nailed what makes it a pleasure to experience starting from the very little things.

Another main thing for me is the more dynamic flow of the action, thanks to the improvements in Zeds pathfinding.

Top Bottom