• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 Early Access |OT| I Buy You. Birth sign: DOSH

Medic grenade is great for Scrake and Fleshpound. Until siren screams and the grenade are destroyed. Really wish the grenade would remain as long as they have activated.
Which reminds me: one has to be mindful with Medic grenades on Hell on Earth when a Scrake enters the picture. On all the other difficulties he goes through the gas cloud without being provoked, but on Hell on Earth Scrakes are extremely sensitive and a single tick from that grenade is enough to set them off. Creates some tense moments.

Zombine

Banned
How performance heavy is this game? I have an 970, i7, and 8 gigs of ram, and when I tried to crank up the textures i noticed that I was having some frame rate issues. Not enough to ruin the game, but enough for my spoiled ass to notice.

spiritfox

How performance heavy is this game? I have an 970, i7, and 8 gigs of ram, and when I tried to crank up the textures i noticed that I was having some frame rate issues. Not enough to ruin the game, but enough for my spoiled ass to notice.

I have a 760 and I have textures on high with no issues.

MoonGred

For some reason it started working again.

Played a few rounds with Support, man that auto shotgun is fucking amazing, just wrecks so much shit.
Can you assume that the most expensive weapons are also the best?

It runs amazing on High, but when I push it to Ultra I get a slight amount of jittering. It's not a lot at all, but It looks like the framerate starts jumping around.
Disable real-time reflections if you haven't already. Everything else should be fine with the hardware your rig is packing.

That said, there are some framerate jitters in the game that seem to be tied to online quirks in KF2's current state. I get very noticeable freeze frames if someone dies in my vision for example and I get the same type of stutters when people are shopping too.

Kinsei

Banned
For some reason it started working again.

Played a few rounds with Support, man that auto shotgun is fucking amazing, just wrecks so much shit.
Can you assume that the most expensive weapons are also the best?

It depends. The most expensive berserker weapon sucks in comparison to the second most expensive berserker weapon.

spiritfox

Disable real-time reflections if you haven't already. Everything else should be fine with the hardware your rig is packing.

That said, there are some framerate jitters in the game that seem to be tied to online quirks in KF2's current state. I get very noticeable freeze frames if someone dies in my vision for example and I get the same type of stutters when people are shopping too.

I believe that the game is loading in new textures or models with the jittering. They need to optimize the game more though.

Airan

The gun sounds need a little more oomph I feel. It was always a joy to use the beretta during the pistol round in KF1 because it felt meaty. The screen shook just a tiny bit, and there was enough bass in the sound. The new pistol sound feels like it was shot from afar in comparison.

Also what's the attachment in the front of the support shotgun? Is that a suppressor?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It depends. The most expensive berserker weapon sucks in comparison to the second most expensive berserker weapon.

Same can be said of the medic assault rifle, the medic SMG feels all around better, more accurate, bigger magazine and more ammo. The downside is obviously that it has less healing darts than the medic AR but the SMG it's a great weapon for clearing out clots and cysts.

chixdiggit

Having way too much fun with this game. I think I will stop playing though until the first wipe. I hate leveling up my perks just to start over again.

The gun sounds need a little more oomph I feel. It was always a joy to use the beretta during the pistol round in KF1 because it felt meaty. The screen shook just a tiny bit, and there was enough bass in the sound. The new pistol sound feels like it was shot from afar in comparison.

Also what's the attachment in the front of the support shotgun? Is that a suppressor?

our main gripe so far as well. the only gun that sounds somewhat menacing is the medic shotgun. the rest of the guns need a boost. they're guns, they're supposed to be loud damn it!

Same can be said of the medic assault rifle, the medic SMG feels all around better, more accurate, bigger magazine and more ammo. The downside is obviously that it has less healing darts than the medic AR but the SMG it's a great weapon for clearing out clots and cysts.

I initially felt the same way but I've started using the assault rifle more and it's growing on me.

Xyber

I got some weird stuttering with everything on, I turned down textures to high and disabled motion blur and bloom (people were saying the ultra textures had some problems for some people). Have been running great after that om my 970 and i7 4770K. I might disable the reflections as well to improve the performance even more. It's around 120fps a lot of the time, but that can go down a bit when a lot is going on.

Medic's assault rifle is the better weapon when pitted against the SMG. Lesser accuracy can be compensated through crouching and lower ammo count (including the magazine size) is a bit of a moot point considering it takes down bigger targets much faster than the SMG with or without headshots. Doubling the amount of healing darts you can fire just seals the deal. And you already have the Pistol for eliminating Clots / Cysts, or a healing grenade when in dire need of trash clearing.

I got some weird stuttering with everything on, I turned down textures to high and disabled motion blur and bloom (people were saying the ultra textures had some problems for some people). Have been running great after that om my 970 and i7 4770K. I might disable the reflections as well to improve the performance even more. It's around 120fps a lot of the time, but that can go down a bit when a lot is going on.
Motion blur and bloom don't really impact performance all that much; it's real-time reflections that's the dealbreaker here.

Pretty much, how many more others are confirmed for the game besides the Patriarch?

What perk level should one have for anything past hard mode?
Patriarch and then another one that's going to be a transforming mech.

Level 10+ for Suicidal if you know what you're doing, Level 20+ for Hell on Earth.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Man i love the berserker just mowing down those zeds feel great and with the huge hammer? Just thumping it down.

It is really amazing to watch a zerker rush up to a scrake with the pulverizer, bash them in the head and watch as this giant hunk of rage goes stumbling like a drunk. The feedback provided is a huge part of what makes that class so much fun to just watch, let alone play. Really well done, Tripwire!

demolitio

Just played my first match of hard and everyone decided to camp in a corridor on biotics lab, it didn't end too well.

Had that happen last night despite me repeatedly saying that's a horrible spot, but they finally decided to move after me and another player left for a better spot and let them suffer on their own. Having 2 Scrakes and 2 FP's attack you in close quarters is bad enough, but that corridor is ridiculous.

I had 3 straight matches where I had to finish the boss off by myself because they refused to stick together and ran in different directions while once again, me and one other guy played it smart. I kept telling them to buy at least the medic handgun as well to heal people that he grabs, but not many people did.

It just sucks when you feel like there's no cooperation yet they had mics.

Had that happen last night despite me repeatedly saying that's a horrible spot, but they finally decided to move after me and another player left for a better spot and let them suffer on their own. Having 2 Scrakes and 2 FP's attack you in close quarters is bad enough, but that corridor is ridiculous.

I had 3 straight matches where I had to finish the boss off by myself because they refused to stick together and ran in different directions while once again, me and one other guy played it smart. I kept telling them to buy at least the medic handgun as well to heal people that he grabs, but not many people did.

It just sucks when you feel like there's no cooperation yet they had mics.

I tend to have good luck with finding people who know what they're doing, so it was super odd to see the whole team just bundle into this one corridor despite the fact that it's clearly a bad idea.

Nokterian

It is really amazing to watch a zerker rush up to a scrake with the pulverizer, bash them in the head and watch as this giant hunk of rage goes stumbling like a drunk. The feedback provided is a huge part of what makes that class so much fun to just watch, let alone play. Really well done, Tripwire!

And the XP stacks up every time it's so much fun!

Xyber

You can tell the good supports from the bad by how fast they ditch the starting shotgun for the double barrel.

I just go for a wave 4 AA-12 and then replace the starting shotgun later. That shotgun and pistol works good enough at the start on suicidal for me.

But yes, double barrel > starter.

Motion blur and bloom don't really impact performance all that much; it's real-time reflections that's the dealbreaker here.

I know, just think it looks bad :p. But I can't know for sure if it was the textures that caused the stutter since I disabled it all at once and have no plans on turning those back on.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am loving the game, but looking forward to more classes/monsters. Right now, Hard and above is hard because of Scrake's, I find. I almost always die with my team and randoms on Wave 6-8, almost always because of Scrake's. Scrake's feel harder than Fleshpounds right now. I think it's because a lot of the good 'Scrake Killer' classes, like Sharpshooter, Demolitions, aren't in the game right now, and Berserker isn't quite as easy to stun-lock him like he used to be. When they spawn 3-4 Scrake's at once seems to fuck us over, though I feel with some perks better against Scrake's it'll become easier in the future, but for now they're the bane of my and my team's existence on hard or above.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I am loving the game, but looking forward to more classes/monsters. Right now, Hard and above is hard because of Scrake's, I find. I almost always die with my team and randoms on Wave 6-8, almost always because of Scrake's. Scrake's feel harder than Fleshpounds right now. I think it's because a lot of the good 'Scrake Killer' classes, like Sharpshooter, Demolitions, aren't in the game right now, and Berserker isn't quite as easy to stun-lock him like he used to be. When they spawn 3-4 Scrake's at once seems to fuck us over, though I feel with some perks better against Scrake's it'll become easier in the future, but for now they're the bane of my and my team's existence on hard or above.

I find they die to sustained fire from AA12s/SCARs way faster than Fleshpounds. Soloing, it's a full AA12 mag at point blank, whereas Fleshpounds required an extra half mag dumped into them plus some grenades to take advantage of their weakness. I think the biggest threat Scrakes provide is the move where they jam the chainsaw into whoever is in front of them - the damage done is absolutely immense and can kill even a fully armored player in the blink of an eye if they can't back away from it quick enough or don't have a heal grenade under them.

We tend to try and kite out the Scrakes one at a time, though on Wave 7 with the double Fleshpound + Scrake spawns happening almost always right next to each other, there are some really huge close calls. I am really missing my Demolitions perk though, I want to melt a Fleshpound into goop with my M32 again!

I've definitely noticed that they're a much bigger threat if you don't have some people using support, because as it stands it feels like they're you're only real hope on higher difficulties.

Hypron

Yeah the scrakes are significantly harder than in the first one on Hard (haven't played harder difficulties yet). They do massive damage (I saw a guy get insta killed by that spin attack from 100 HP 0 armour yesterday) and once they rage they'll fuck everything up if you don't have enough firepower to bring them down quick.

I played Sharpshooter in KF1 so I'd kill scrakes in one hit in Normal/Hard... Being afraid of them is a big change for me haha.

Xyber

Right now it all comes down to having like 3 supports with AA-12 towards the end and you finish off Scrake's pretty fast. I think Scrake's have too much health right now though, they are very close to the same HP as the FP.

This is a pretty good post I saw earlier about the balance between trash and Scrake's/FP http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=106329

But it's also very hard to do any real balance changes before we have more classes that can deal with the harder stuff more easily.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Agreed. Besides the lack of a key binding to instantly switch to your last used item, this is my biggest gripe with the game at the moment. The gunplay is excellent, but the weapons don't feel quite as powerful as in KF1, largely because they sound somewhat muted in comparison.

I believe it's a compensator, used to slightly dampen muzzle climb.

faridmon

This guy streams it a lot (ever since closed beta started) and plays a mean Berserker:

http://www.twitch.tv/tminator64/

He's going to start Hell on Earth difficulty runs once he hits level 20 too.

Worse is when a Fleshpound is hauling ass towards the team, everyone's setting themselves up to bring him down... and then some schmo goes out of his way to draw aggro on some far-off Scrake. Don't quite know what compels that type of behaviour either.

Thanks alot. I know what I am doing tonight!

Wouldn't really call the Scrakes truly difficult on Hard or Suicidal when classes are at appropriate levels; they're low maintenance in terms of saving them for last while you clear out the so-called 'trash mobs' so in the end it's all a matter of your team keeping their cool and focusing fire on 'em when the time arises, at which point they crumble. Doesn't even need to be a full group with how a lone AA12 tears them apart, be it a Support or off perk. Medic is also adept at safely outrunning them, so in a worst case scenario he can keep kiting 'em whilst whittling Scrakes down... albeit slowly. Now on Hell on Earth, that's where they become huge threats since they get agitated a lot easier in conjunction with all the other enemy types being dangerous too with in large part due to the faster pacing.

That said though, you're right about them being a bigger hassle to deal with than Fleshpounds. Fleshpounds are more predictable in their behaviour and more consistent to parry for a Berserker, whereas the Scrake's active hitboxes are all over the place right now.

demolitio

Wouldn't really call the Scrakes truly difficult on Hard or Suicidal when classes are at appropriate levels; they're low maintenance in terms of saving them for last while you clear out the so-called 'trash mobs' so in the end it's all a matter of your team keeping their cool and focusing fire on 'em when the time arises, at which point they crumble. Doesn't even need to be a full group with how a lone AA12 tears them apart, be it a Support or off perk. Medic is also adept at safely outrunning them, so in a worst case scenario he can keep kiting 'em whilst whittling Scrakes down... albeit slowly. Now on Hell on Earth, that's where they become huge threats since they get agitated a lot easier in conjunction with all the other enemy types being dangerous too with in large part due to the faster pacing.

That said though, you're right about them being a bigger hassle to deal with than Fleshpounds. Fleshpounds are more predictable in their behaviour and more consistent to parry for a Berserker, whereas the Scrake's active hitboxes are all over the place right now.

Yup. Coming from the beta and playing my first matches in the retail build last night, I didn't expect to struggle against the Scrakes so much with my Eviscerator. Then I switch to a shotgun and realize it wasn't a weapon nerf. Then I see how long it takes for one to go down with the majority of the team firing at it and that's when I realized I wasn't just crazy and that they buffed his health which someone confirmed. They basically went from annoying to the most threatening non-boss enemy in the game and make FP's look easy.

It takes a lot more teamwork to take them down now and I'm all for that, but it seems like the amount they throw at you at once now makes it pretty damn crazy. With a shitty team, they can cause a lot of problems but with some cooperation and a good medic, you can manage, just a lot harder than it used to be.

I would just tell the medic to keep me alive while I aggro the Scrake and just sit there with the chainsaw on it to see how long it'd take and it ate up so much fuel that I was screwed later on. But from then on out, I'd aggro it and melee it while the rest of the team shot from behind and healed me and it was working out.

It's going to be REALLY helpful once this tank class is added. Honestly though, I'm all about my SHARPSHOOTER! Can't wait for that one.

mcz117chief

Anyway guys, will they add more maps/weapons as the game gets developed? i'm new to EA ya know lol

No, there will be 0 new weapons and 0 new maps and even 0 updates. Tripwire took their money to Bahamas so they can live large on our stupidity...

Absolutely, mate ! Tripwire is the kind of company that supports its games many years into the future. Killing Floor 1 was updated up until the release of KF2, so about 6 years !

mcz117chief

What I want to know is, what's the Christmas update going to be like this year?

Who cares about Christmas, Halloween is where it is all at but only if they allow us to get Commando Chicken !! I NEED COMMANDO CHICKEN !!!

They will probably give us the chance to unlock The Baddest Santa on Christmas though.

Top Bottom