• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

A guy on another forum has problem playing online. Lot of lag and he can only find 5 servers.
I haven't played in a while but that seems a bit low.
Are there any ports on his firewall he should open?

So how does this game currently control? I know they patched it like 3 different times to tweak the controls, but by that time I had stopped playing it.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind the heavier controls, I'm just wondering what they're currently like if I decide to re-buy the game and get back into it.

CartridgeBlower said:
So how does this game currently control? I know they patched it like 3 different times to tweak the controls, but by that time I had stopped playing it.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind the heavier controls, I'm just wondering what they're currently like if I decide to re-buy the game and get back into it.
Well I think you can still play like when it was released if you disable some stuff in options.
While I was playing I loved the controls.

I forgot to add that KZ3 NEEDS customizaton:

Weapons

Clan logos(Not so much)

Clothing

Special challenge modes

Objectives for multi player over your career ala Halo/COD

Damn great game, but the multiplayer needs to be fleshed out beyond belief.

CartridgeBlower said:

The controls are still very heavy with high precision mode turned on. They didn't change the actual weight or speed of the controls, what they pretty much did was remove the slight delay/deadzone in the controls making it easier to be more precise, but the weight and speed of the aiming is pretty much identical. It just feels more responsive and easier to aim accurately with.

KZObsessed

So, why has there only been one double experience weekend?

MW2 came out and... nothing. Thought they'd try something. IW did a double experience weekend when KZ2 launched. Or was it for WAW? Can't remember. Anyway, player count is dropping so why not have a double experience week and get people back playing it? Do they even care any more?

FFObsessed said:

MW2 came out and... nothing. Thought they'd try something. IW did a double experience weekend when KZ2 launched. Or was it for WAW? Can't remember. Anyway, player count is dropping so why not have a double experience week and get people back playing it? Do they even care any more?
They are smoking weed for all the money they got from KZ2. As soon as that run out its time to put together all that code they wrote while high and release KZ3.

KZObsessed

Tenkai Star said:
They are smoking weed for all the money they got from KZ2. As soon as that run out its time to put together all that code they wrote while high and release KZ3.

KZ3 is gonna be really trippy confirmed. Colourzone!!111!

FFObsessed said:
KZ3 is gonna be really trippy confirmed. Colourzone!!111!
"Maaan did you see that Uncharted 2! It was fucking out there maan! So like in KZ3 you have to find the factory that makes all them big ass ships and they like hid them in the jungle man!"

With all the complaints they get tossed their way for color of the game, I wouldn't doubt some colorful shit in the next KZ. They can do it though with some creative levels like the original had which had the park full of cherry blossoms, swamp with tons of bamboo, snow level, etc.

I just played a bit of the campaign yesterday. I've played the big shooters of the year, so I wanted to see how well the KZ2 campaign held up to them in terms of gameplay.
Umm, I'll give MW2 a win in the control column, and I'll give UC2 a win in 'awe inspiring setpiece' column but the point to point encounters in KZ2 on Elite are more satisfying and rewarding than anything from those other games.

KZObsessed

Internet Celebrity said:
KZ2 MP>MW2 MP.

Oh god yeah. Playing MW2 makes me appreciate KZ2 so much more. The maps are infinitely better. The rotating objectives keeps the games fresh and interesting. MW2 modes are just boring. MW2 feels like IW tried to make the cheapest online shooter ever... and they succeeded. Hate the direction they went in from CoD4. It's just a camp fest of people trying to get the overpowered killstreak rewards.

Guerrilla Games, do NOT look at MW2 for any kind of inspiration. You got the basics so spot on with KZ2. Just build on that. Take the feedback to heart and build KZ3 on DEDICATED SERVERS, add a party system (one that isn't completely broken like MW2). Take a look at the classes. Get rid of Assault/Boost or at least stop Boost being able to be swapped with other classes. Bigger maps! Maybe some character/weapon customization. But just stick to your own vision for God's sake. You have your own fan base, your game appeals to a lot of people who don't like other shooters anywhere near as much. Just build from there and try and bring in as many people as possible, but not by ripping off MW2. Urgh. You'll lose more fans than you'll bring in.

But it's too late to come back now.

Why? All your friends left? :( Well I'll be back playing KZ2 soon. Don't really like U2 online. I may play it now and again but certainly not long term. I want to get to the top level in MW2 but I don't particularly want to play it anymore. BFBC2 Beta is awesome but I dunno how long the Beta will last and have to wait til March for the retail release. I want to get up to 600 hours in KZ2 before calling it a day. If it's just me from GAFe playing I'll just chill with some Sniper action. :p Never gets old. <3 KZ2.

^Yeah, I hope that they'll build KZ3 on the foundations of Killzone 2.

Dedicated servers, some gameplay tweaks and customization would be quite nice. Let's hope that they'll show us at least something next year. :p

FFObsessed said:
Why? All your friends left? :( Well I'll be back playing KZ2 soon. Don't really like U2 online. I may play it now and again but certainly not long term. I want to get to the top level in MW2 but I don't particularly want to play it anymore. BFBC2 Beta is awesome but I dunno how long the Beta will last and have to wait til March for the retail release. I want to get up to 600 hours in KZ2 before calling it a day. If it's just me from GAFe playing I'll just chill with some Sniper action. :p Never gets old. <3 KZ2.
Pretty much. On VGEvo.com we made a pretty big deal out of someone reaching the big 100k, but as soon as that happened they would stop playing the game. So basically one by one, all the best guys retired. :*(

I'll give MW2 a fair chance...for me, it might just be going from godlike at KZ2 -> pretty average at MW2. :p
I heard great things about the BFBC2 beta from my regular clan guys as well. So I logged in about an hour ago, and got about 12 kills and 20 deaths. :lol
But I can definitely see the potential there, and it looks like much more a team-oriented game than MW2 (but that's not exactly hard, is it.)

If none of that works out, we can elope on KZ2 for all eternity.
GG, hurry the fuck up with KZ3.

KZObsessed

Oh I'd like some co-op mode. Preferably through the campaign, but if that means compromises then just do separate mode.

There's a co-op mission in MW2 Spec Ops like the "All Ghillied Up" mission from CoD4, I was playing it with Lince and it's more fun than anything from the campaign or the competitive. It's just awesome.

Imagine some missions like that playing as a Helghast Scout. Infact a Co-op mode in KZ3 could all be Helghast missions. Which would satisfy those who want a "Helghast Campaign" without ruining the single player with it. :p I think that would be pretty awesome. Hope GG have thought of it.

KZObsessed

Internet Celebrity said:
Pretty much. On VGEvo.com we made a pretty big deal out of someone reaching the big 100k, but as soon as that happened they would stop playing the game. So basically one by one, all the best guys retired. :*(

I'll give MW2 a fair chance...for me, it might just be going from godlike at KZ2 -> pretty average at MW2. :p
I heard great things about the BFBC2 beta from my regular clan guys as well. So I logged in about an hour ago, and got about 12 kills and 20 deaths. :lol
But I can definitely see the potential there, and it looks like much more a team-oriented game than MW2 (but that's not exactly hard, is it.)

If none of that works out, we can elope on KZ2 for all eternity.
GG, hurry the fuck up with KZ3.

You could always join GAFe and we could tear shit up in some 2v2 clan matches :lol Or 3v3 as I'm sure Lince would play again (He's better than me :p). Tho we did swear off the laggy clan games so maybe random matches will have to do :p

BFBC2 is really awesome I think, but it does take a few games for it to click. I couldn't hit shit initially :p All you need is a good squad. Have a good 4 man squad and you're set. Some really good teamwork goes on in the game if you're in a good squad. Love how you can spawn on anyone in your squad instead of just the squad leader. Voice chat quality is excellent too.

DMeisterJ

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Oh god yeah. Playing MW2 makes me appreciate KZ2 so much more. The maps are infinitely better. The rotating objectives keeps the games fresh and interesting. MW2 modes are just boring. MW2 feels like IW tried to make the cheapest online shooter ever... and they succeeded. Hate the direction they went in from CoD4. It's just a camp fest of people trying to get the overpowered killstreak rewards.

Guerrilla Games, do NOT look at MW2 for any kind of inspiration. You got the basics so spot on with KZ2. Just build on that. Take the feedback to heart and build KZ3 on DEDICATED SERVERS, add a party system (one that isn't completely broken like MW2). Take a look at the classes. Get rid of Assault/Boost or at least stop Boost being able to be swapped with other classes. Bigger maps! Maybe some character/weapon customization. But just stick to your own vision for God's sake. You have your own fan base, your game appeals to a lot of people who don't like other shooters anywhere near as much. Just build from there and try and bring in as many people as possible, but not by ripping off MW2. Urgh. You'll lose more fans than you'll bring in.

You shut your filthy whore mouth. MW2 >>> KZ2. The only thing I like better about KZ2 is the Warzone gametype, so you can play all the games. I feel like the games on KZ2 are too short.

--

Also, I would have turned my BT headset on and chatted while we played, but I thought you and Lince were whispering sweet nothings in some foreign language to each other and didn't want to interrupt... lol

FFObsessed said:
You could always join GAFe and we could tear shit up in some 2v2 clan matches :lol Or 3v3 as I'm sure Lince would play again (He's better than me :p). Tho we did swear off the laggy clan games so maybe random matches will have to do :p

BFBC2 is really awesome I think, but it does take a few games for it to click. I couldn't hit shit initially :p All you need is a good squad. Have a good 4 man squad and you're set. Some really good teamwork goes on in the game if you're in a good squad. Love how you can spawn on anyone in your squad instead of just the squad leader. Voice chat quality is excellent too.
I'll see how it goes...I'm pretty attached to my [VGE0] tag, since I pretty much led the team into an unbeaten streak in clan matches. Although since none of them are really playing any more, I guess no-one will ever know. :X

I'm not sure what it comes down to though. When I first started playing KZ2, I sucked some major ass for a couple months or so. Something like a 1.03 K/D with a 45% W/L. I'm better at MW2 now than I was then at KZ2, but something's just not clicking for me.

KZObsessed

Yeah, I can tell MW2 is just not for me because even when things go well and my team wins and I have a great game (which is rare :p) I'm still not really enjoying it. My best game was 23-3 and 20-5, my best kill streak was 15 (without including killstreak rewards) and at the end I still think "meh". It's just the kills feel so cheap to me. I once stumbled across an enemy care package on Wasteland which contained a Pavelow which got me 11 free kills :lol

Whereas in KZ2, my best is a 38 man killstreak as a Sniper, and one of the last games recently that I played, I got a 30 killstreak while defending the S&D objective on Radec in a 32 player game and you just feel like a GOD :lol

FFObsessed said:
Yeah, I can tell MW2 is just not for me because even when things go well and my team wins and I have a great game (which is rare :p) I'm still not really enjoying it. My best game was 23-3 and 20-5, my best kill streak was 15 (without including killstreak rewards) and at the end I still think "meh". It's just the kills feel so cheap to me. I once stumbled across an enemy care package on Wasteland which contained a Pavelow which got me 11 free kills :lol

Whereas in KZ2, my best is a 38 man killstreak as a Sniper, and one of the last games recently that I played, I got a 30 killstreak while defending the S&D objective on Radec in a 32 player game and you just feel like a GOD :lol
On KZ2 I've never topped 15 as a killstreak (I get those quite a lot, it seems), but I do play like Rambo trying to overcompensate for his lack of manliness. Thus my weekly 140 kph rate. :D

Care packages are ridiculous...if you ever find a chopper gunner in one of those, it's game over for the other team.

Ovid

I beat K2 a few days ago after having the game sit on my shelf since February. I never liked the multiplayer (what I initially bought the game for) so it just sat there unplayed for months. I decided to check out the single player after seeing a GAF post comparing the differences between K2 and GoW. I must say that the single player was pretty good and the game is very gorgeous.

One more thing, Rico is fucking annoying and the controls suck.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
FFObsessed said:

Why would they care? It's not as if we are paying monthly for the game.

KZObsessed

Internet Celebrity said:
On KZ2 I've never topped 15 as a killstreak (I get those quite a lot, it seems), but I do play like Rambo trying to overcompensate for his lack of manliness. Thus my weekly 140 kph rate. :D

Care packages are ridiculous...if you ever find a chopper gunner in one of those, it's game over for the other team.

Holy shit, nice!

Yeah, K/D ratio and killstreaks, in KZ2 especially, are more to do with play style and the ability of the teams, rather than individual skill. If I just sit back in a game and pick people off I can go 9:1 or 10:1 in a game if the other team is quite poor. Especially in a 32 player game where everyone is distracted by the chaos.

Whereas in other games I'll only be 1:1 because I'll just be going for the objectives, and there's a lot of Spawn, kill, die, repeat in this game. And especially if your team is quite bad compared to the other or teams are unbalanced in number, you can get slaughtered quite a lot when pushed back and camped.

I used to always go for objectives and die a ton in the process, but recently I've been more laid back, I'd be more a defensive tactician. Lay down spawns for the team and sit back and protect them/pick people off. When you play by yourself with randoms it can be quite stressful always going for the objective yourself with no support. Playing more for kills recently and helping the team that way has given me a second wind so to speak. Been enjoying the game again. I do have an urge to go back to sniping, I think I'll find some Pyrrhus Rise/Salmon nom nom nom Market games and snipe my brains out :lol <3 this game.

JB1981

FFObsessed said:

I enjoy KZ 2 but the multiplayer is too much of a clusterfuck. MW2 is more balanced and the perks/upgrade system just keeps on giving. Very different games, though.

GG should look to BF BC 2 to see how you make an all out war game that is relatively balanced and not ruined by giant clusterfucks.

master15

I picked up Killzone 2 a few weeks ago and yesterday beat the campaign. I am a little ashamed to admit but after ten deaths or more at the hands of Radic as he multi-teleported then knifed me to death, my patience was reaching a limit.

So I kind of cheaped my way out of the fight, by entering the column area right at the front of the building, armed shotgun and just waited for Radic to come after me. Rinse and repeat :lol

Amazing single player outside awful story. I am hoping to improve my skills where I can last more than 20 seconds on elite :/

KZObsessed

JB1981 said:
I enjoy KZ 2 but the multiplayer is too much of a clusterfuck. MW2 is more balanced and the perks/upgrade system just keeps on giving. Very different games, though.

GG should look to BF BC 2 to see how you make an all out war game that is relatively balanced and not ruined by giant clusterfucks.

I don't think giving the best players (or the players who just camp the most) stupidly overpowered killstreak rewards is balanced in the least but ok. Especially as the cold blooded perk isn't unlocked till level 25 I think, so lower level players just get destroyed by them. That's not balanced at all. Plus I was disappointed to see the Marathon/Lightweight/Commando combo. That coupled with lag is just as cheap as it gets. It's arguably as bad as the Boost ability of KZ2, which can unfortunately be swapped to any class when everyone's cheated to unlock all the medals :p

I agree with you about BFBC2 though. I've said from the beginning that the bigger maps of KZ2 are the by far where the game is best played. They need more larger size maps. Which was the main disappointment for me when it came to the DLC maps. The main "cluster fuck" moments occur during Search & Destroy. The best way to compensate for this would be to have the 2 S&D objectives at different places/in different buildings, like BFBC2 does. The only maps that have the S&D objectives separate are Visari Hammer where they are in enclosed lookout towers with only 1 entrance, Blood Gracht, which is one of the smallest maps in the game, and only on this ISA side, but they're still too close, and Helghan Industries where they're in the same building. But they do have two entrances to each objective and 4 total entrances to the area. Helghan Industries and Salmon nom nom nom Market are probably the two best maps for S&D, Salmon nom nom nom Market having them outside in the open being the very best.

In fact Salmon nom nom nom Market is probably the best and most balanced multiplayer map I've ever played on. We need more maps like that in KZ3.

MW2 rewards campers way too much. Running and gunning will get you nowhere, and unfortunately that's how I roll. I start shaking and dribbling if I spend half a minute not killing anybody.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Internet Celebrity said:
MW2 rewards campers way too much. Running and gunning will get you nowhere, and unfortunately that's how I roll. I start shaking and dribbling if I spend half a minute not killing anybody.

Yes, so true :/

TheFatOne

FFObsessed said:
I don't think giving the best players (or the players who just camp the most) stupidly overpowered killstreak rewards is balanced in the least but ok. Especially as the cold blooded perk isn't unlocked till level 25 I think, so lower level players just get destroyed by them. That's not balanced at all. Plus I was disappointed to see the Marathon/Lightweight/Commando combo. That coupled with lag is just as cheap as it gets. It's arguably as bad as the Boost ability of KZ2, which can unfortunately be swapped to any class when everyone's cheated to unlock all the medals :p

I agree with you about BFBC2 though. I've said from the beginning that the bigger maps of KZ2 are the by far where the game is best played. They need more larger size maps. Which was the main disappointment for me when it came to the DLC maps. The main "cluster fuck" moments occur during Search & Destroy. The best way to compensate for this would be to have the 2 S&D objectives at different places/in different buildings, like BFBC2 does. The only maps that have the S&D objectives separate are Visari Hammer where they are in enclosed lookout towers with only 1 entrance, Blood Gracht, which is one of the smallest maps in the game, and only on this ISA side, but they're still too close, and Helghan Industries where they're in the same building. But they do have two entrances to each objective and 4 total entrances to the area. Helghan Industries and Salmon nom nom nom Market are probably the two best maps for S&D, Salmon nom nom nom Market having them outside in the open being the very best.

In fact Salmon nom nom nom Market is probably the best and most balanced multiplayer map I've ever played on. We need more maps like that in KZ3.

S&D is just broken. Depending on which side you are you get an advantage for no reason. For example in BG the ISA get a huge advantage because the S&D are separated. Why did GG think that was a good decision? It makes no fucking sense to give one side an advantage like that. The worst part is that several maps are like that. They seriously need to rethink how they make MP maps. They made maybe two good maps (including DLC), and the rest are trash. Search and retrieve is broken because of boost. Most of the MP in Killzone 2 is broken in some way which is a shame.

Thefatone-> So true! Finding a good game in KZ2 is almost impossible since so many decisions were wrong and so many essential things are missing.

I just stopped playing a long time ago...and MW2, even if it's not perfect, offers so much more ways of playing, so much more types of games,... the online experience basically destroys KZ2 in every way.

commish

FFObsessed said:
Yeah, why would they care how many people play and enjoy their game? Wat.

Giving double xp isn't going to make someone suddenly start enjoying this game or buy it when they haven't the last however many months.

Ok to add to the Killzone 3 wishlist, I kinda disagree with you FFO on that they shouldn't look for MW2 for inspiration. I'm personally still on the fence of whether or not some type of "Killstreak" award would break KZ3's MP (such as a laser strike from an ISA cruiser or a some type of Lightning gun for the HG). But here are my main areas where I think that KZ3 would be godly.

-Dedicated servers, this is an absolute must, as the lag in KZ2 could be atrocious at times. This should be their #1 online priority.

-Some type of character/weapon customization. Playing with the same looking characters that have no style of their own gets old after a while. I'm not talking about the avatars for the classes. You should be able to customized the regular soldier to the extreme, and have some appearance customization of the classes. Weapon customizations such as secondary fire, attachments, silencers,etc. Could really help the feeling of "war" in MP.

-More unique game types. This one is self explanatory. Also, want to have something other then a propaganda speaker to capture? Let the player choose, like a Flag (which can be customized outside of the game), or something that relates to the universe.

-Add a knife. Knifing a mofo who's been pissing you off is sooo satisfying, so you could map it to the melee button or have it be selected like in SP, it's up to you. And different variations of knife kills based on how far the enemy is from you, their position, if it's from behind, etc, would be nice.

-Balance the fucking classes. I don't even want to start on this. It'd be long as hell.

Things I want for SP.

-Make the player actually CARE about the story, and the characters. Throughout KZ2, players were pretty much apathetic, to why you were in the war, make them care! Make the character's real, and 3D not just screaming F-bombs at the top of their lungs.

-Environments, variation, and lots of them. I can't even imagine a jungle or snow level in KZ3. How bout some Vietnam style traps? Or defending a town in the snow from the Helghast like the Russians fought off the Germans in Stalingrad? Those could be EPIC!

-Vehicles. I want to drive that jeep. I wanted to play that mech more. How about those flying machines shown in the KZ1 intro? How bout mech battles Zone of the Ender's syle except it's not in the air? Or have the mech's fight Helghan's natural animals/beasts ala JC's Avatar.

-Boss Fights,Dogs, Constant set-pieces. Boss fights were one thing KZ3 really needs to improve on. Radec was the only "true" boss in the game, KZ3 needs more of those, each one offering a fresh and complete unique experience, different from the other. Say for instance, Sev and his team (or the person you play as in KZ3), stumble upon the dog pound used for "manufacturing" the military dogs. The lights go out. Suddenly a giant dog, armored with guns, suddenly wipes out half the team. You have to kill the dog...in the dark. You don't know when it's going to pop out. No set random pattern, just the dog's AI reacting completely on the players actions.

Or how about a epic sniper firefight, with Helghan's top Sniper sent to eliminate the player, in a jungle environment? You have to avoid him AND traps he's set. This could be more epic than the fight with The End in MGS3. And always during the game is constant set pieces, a blend of both scripted AND non-scripted so the player always has a unique experience each and every time he plays the SP campaign.

-Playing as the Helghast. Whether it's separate from the normal campaign or a seperate part you unlock is up to you. I want to get an insight on their politics, how the interact socially, economically, etc. Playing as the Helghast would offer the player a new perspective and keep the story in the "grey area".

-Uncharted's Machinima mode except 10x more features, camera options and the ability to upload your face via Eyetoy to a ISA soldiers face for movie purposes.

Wow...didn't expect it to get this long.

I beg of you guerilla, please please don't make me wait 5 minutes to load a match in KZ3, wait to spawn & then die and wait another 3 minutes to spawn again. its fucking infurating and the reason I stopped playing KZ2 regularly.

if you have to give an big optional intall that lets me load a match in 6 seconds,do it. to address matches don't force spawn delay this makes me rage, considering bullet and grenade spam. to finish this rant give us a deathmatch.

EDIT: and a split screen story mode + most of this stuff suggested right now would pwn.

this would make a great KZ3.

/rant

KZObsessed

TheFatOne said:
S&D is just broken. Depending on which side you are you get an advantage for no reason. For example in BG the ISA get a huge advantage because the S&D are separated. Why did GG think that was a good decision? It makes no fucking sense to give one side an advantage like that. The worst part is that several maps are like that. They seriously need to rethink how they make MP maps. They made maybe two good maps (including DLC), and the rest are trash. Search and retrieve is broken because of boost. Most of the MP in Killzone 2 is broken in some way which is a shame.

ISA get an advantage on BG? Funny, coz a lot of people say the opposite and that the Helghast get an advantage on BG. Basically, the strength of your team matters a lot more than which side you're on. If you can't plant on one side it's due to your team failing rather than an unbalanced map. But you are right, the simple fact that they're not symmetrical means you can't actually make sure which side you're planting on is "fair" when compared t the other. Hence why Saluman Market is the best map in the game. It practically is symmetrical.

cassiusclay99 said:
Thefatone-> So true! Finding a good game in KZ2 is almost impossible since so many decisions were wrong and so many essential things are missing.

I just stopped playing a long time ago...and MW2, even if it's not perfect, offers so much more ways of playing, so much more types of games,... the online experience basically destroys KZ2 in every way.

Yeah, because finding a good game of MW2 is so easy. The party system is so broken it's embarrassing. Every time we play in a party it can take us up to and beyond 10 times to get into a game because people just get kicked from the party, we get Server has been closed messages and everyone get's kicked, we have to constantly invite people back in the party, then when we finally get into a game it's on a US server full of lag or versus a clan of people with 1 bar connection strength. People leave because of the lag, causing host migration, which in turn causes a seemingly large chance f "host migration failure" and the game just fucking ends.

And so many ways to play the game yes yes, the two most popular being camping and using the cheap, unbalanced, overpowered killstreak rewards. Or running around the map with the Marathon/Lightweight/Commando perks + lag and just knifing people. The retarded amounts of auto aim coupled with the fact it takes only a few shots to down someone means anyone can get kills if they just hide in a corner. So yes I can see why the masses would enjoy such a garbage MP game.

KZObsessed

commish said:
Giving double xp isn't going to make someone suddenly start enjoying this game or buy it when they haven't the last however many months.

Initiating some double experience weeks would get people who do enjoy the game but have stopped playing for what ever reason an excuse to get back into it. Give it some coverage on the PS Blog and websites and get people aware of KZ2 again. More people playing your game online is always better, obviously, don't know why that's so hard for you to understand. Or why you're saying they shouldn't give a shit about their game anymore?

More people playing the online again could never ever be a bad thing so why the fuck not? It's not like introducing a double xp week would be too much effort on their part. People playing the game online could still encourage some of their friends to purchase and play the game, and could sell more DLC maps if people stopped playing before some of them were released. But yeah developers should just not bother supporting their game after a few months! Great message. smh.

KZObsessed

TacticalFox88 said:
Ok to add to the Killzone 3 wishlist, I kinda disagree with you FFO on that they shouldn't look for MW2 for inspiration. I'm personally still on the fence of whether or not some type of "Killstreak" award would break KZ3's MP (such as a laser strike from an ISA cruiser or a some type of Lightning gun for the HG). But here are my main areas where I think that KZ3 would be godly.

-Some type of character/weapon customization. Playing with the same looking characters that have no style of their own gets old after a while. I'm not talking about the avatars for the classes. You should be able to customized the regular soldier to the extreme, and have some appearance customization of the classes. Weapon customizations such as secondary fire, attachments, silencers,etc. Could really help the feeling of "war" in MP.

-More unique game types. This one is self explanatory. Also, want to have something other then a propaganda speaker to capture? Let the player choose, like a Flag (which can be customized outside of the game), or something that relates to the universe.

-Add a knife. Knifing a mofo who's been pissing you off is sooo satisfying, so you could map it to the melee button or have it be selected like in SP, it's up to you. And different variations of knife kills based on how far the enemy is from you, their position, if it's from behind, etc, would be nice.

omg what is this I don't even...

The brunt of what GG perfected with KZ2's MP system comes in the form of player gratification. They recognised that making the player feel like a badass is more important than anything else. We see the infamous "chirp" mentioned in this thread a hell of a lot; it was put in there for this very reason. Similarly, the controls are difficult to master; but when you do get accustomed to them, every single kill becomes a spectacle and an achievement. There's also more subtle stuff, like the way the light reflects off the revolver as you're sprinting across the map, the fact that you can actually reload while sprinting...I could go on for ages.

So basically GG have a lot of the finer details down, as well as most of the core mechanics. All that's left is a bit more fine-tuning on the balancing side, and KZ3 could be the best MP shooter of all time. OF ALL TIME.

ZeroRay

At this point KZ3 is my most anticipated online game. MW2 is great but doesn't really hook me like COD4 or KZ2 did.

My suggestions to GG is to give more rewards and medals a la MW2 for players since people just love getting new things; don't go with the same tedious method of unlocking ribbons.

Also keep the classes balanced with different weapons and abilities but add a slot for equipment, which could serve as sort of "perks" such as having a knife doing more melee damage, weapon grip for less recoil, stuff like that. Please don't give crap like body armor or boost pills.

Remove the assault class altogether with improvements to the others, weaken the engineer and make the rifleman be able to carry two main weapons since that will make more people use that class.

Also get a professional writer to write the story. The Universe has potential but that has been squandered on all the games so far. As for the single player gameplay, I'd like to see a same type of improvement like UC1 --> UC2. You have probably the best AI driven on shooter on consoles; expand on that and put in a lot of WOW set pieces along the way like UC2 did and KZ3 would have the best campaign ever.

KZObsessed

Tiger uppercut said:
I beg of you guerilla, please please don't make me wait 5 minutes to load a match in KZ3, wait to spawn & then die and wait another 3 minutes to spawn again. its fucking infurating and the reason I stopped playing KZ2 regularly.

if you have to give an big optional intall that lets me load a match in 6 seconds,do it. to address matches don't force spawn delay this makes me rage, considering bullet and grenade spam. to finish this rant give us a deathmatch.

EDIT: and a split screen story mode + most of this stuff suggested right now would pwn.

this would make a great KZ3.

/rant

Re-spawn time is 10 seconds what is this 3 minutes?

KZObsessed

Internet Celebrity said:
The brunt of what GG perfected with KZ2's MP system comes in the form of player gratification. They recognised that making the player feel like a badass is more important than anything else. We see the infamous "chirp" mentioned in this thread a hell of a lot; it was put in there for this very reason. Similarly, the controls are difficult to master; but when you do get accustomed to them, every single kill becomes a spectacle and an achievement. There's also more subtle stuff, like the way the light reflects off the revolver as you're sprinting across the map, the fact that you can actually reload while sprinting...I could go on for ages.

So basically GG have a lot of the finer details down, as well as most of the core mechanics. All that's left is a bit more fine-tuning on the balancing side, and KZ3 could be the best MP shooter of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Thank you for being so sane.

<3

mr_nothin

Banned
Internet Celebrity said:

Most of my problems come from LAG.
If they had dedicated servers i'd be in heaven.

Anyways...Playing now!

commish

FFObsessed said:
Initiating some double experience weeks would get people who do enjoy the game but have stopped playing for what ever reason an excuse to get back into it. Give it some coverage on the PS Blog and websites and get people aware of KZ2 again. More people playing your game online is always better, obviously, don't know why that's so hard for you to understand. Or why you're saying they shouldn't give a shit about their game anymore?

More people playing the online again could never ever be a bad thing so why the fuck not? It's not like introducing a double xp week would be too much effort on their part. People playing the game online could still encourage some of their friends to purchase and play the game, and could sell more DLC maps if people stopped playing before some of them were released. But yeah developers should just not bother supporting their game after a few months! Great message. smh.

Of course I agree with the idea of more players being better for us players, but from a developer standpoint, does it make much difference? With Killzone 3 being years away (I guess 2011), any player goodwill earned now won't be remembered in a few years time. It's not as if players will suddenly start buying more of KZ2 (or KZ3 at release bc of this). I'd guess that 95%+ of KZ2's sales have already occurred, so I don't blame GG if they divert their attention towards their next game.

Besides, experience in this game is largely useless after a certain point, so I doubt if it'd draw anyone back, let alone a significant number to make a difference to anyone. And even if someone were to be drawn back by the double xp, what makes you think they'd stick around after that weekend? If it takes something like more xp to bring someone back, then I doubt they are gonna play longer than a day or two anyway.

From a player perspective, it can't hurt, so why not. From a developer perspective, it's largely pointless.

KZObsessed

mr_nothin said:
Most of my problems come from LAG.
If they had dedicated servers i'd be in heaven.

Anyways...Playing now!

omg wish I could join you but I'm doing some work, hence why I'm posting so much! :lol Damn you!

Yeah, the main issues I had were Lag, unbalanced teams, spawn invincibility bullshit.

They fixed the spawn garbage, and improved the team balance by making it put you and your friends on the same team automatically so everyone plays auto-balanced games now. Lag will always be there tho unfrtunately.

Dedicated servers are a must. Any online game with serious lag is unacceptable. Hopefully IW's ridiculous decision to not allow dedicated servers on PC wont give more dev teams the excuse to not bother.

Top Bottom