• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

FFObsessed said:
Do you know who I am? Do you know how important and noteworthy I am in the KILLZONE 2 community? I am the KILLZONE 2 community. I've been playing this game before you were born sonny. Please> I trained Kill1onaire, Lince, FullRecovery, Aj2good4you, Cagen, CrushDance, Dave1988....the list is endless. They may not be as good as me but I'm still willing to carry them in Clan matches, I'll even roll with them in random games. This has nothing to do with that anyway, what I'm stating is that KILLZONE 2 is the greatest MP game of all tyne. OF ALL TYNE.

Oh snap, now where is crush?

blue999new

Neo Member
Clan match and challenge is sooooo addictive.
My clan played about 500 clan matchs during the period from april or may to now.
You can play against other clans all over the world,different countries, different languages. Everyone is fighting for glory, that's so exciting and amazing.
I'm in GMT+8,we always met Japanese,Italian,Polish,Russians...and so on,thanks to the smooth servers.
It's easy to find some tournaments to play with my friends after work ,especially in weekends.
Clan match + random missions + smooth servers = Killzone 2 MP, in my opinion.
Killzone 2 's clan match makes me feel as playing co-op missions with my friends.And the rivals seem to be infinity,you dont have to wait for the new coop maps.
Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 cost me too much time, no time for caring about COD6 OR MW2 now. :lol

TheFatOne

FFObsessed said:
Do you know who I am? Do you know how important and noteworthy I am in the KILLZONE 2 community? I am the KILLZONE 2 community. I've been playing this game before you were born sonny. Please> I trained Kill1onaire, Lince, FullRecovery, Aj2good4you, Cagen, CrushDance, Dave1988....the list is endless. They may not be as good as me but I'm still willing to carry them in Clan matches, I'll even roll with them in random games. This has nothing to do with that anyway, what I'm stating is that KILLZONE 2 is the greatest MP game of all tyne. OF ALL TYNE.

I wouldn't doubt you trained them all because not one person in your list is decent >.<

-viper- said:
:lol I see you've changed the post a bit :p

what are you doing on Killzone 2 with a WIRELESS CONNECTION?

I think you should consider a rename on GAF - TheLaggyOne.

In order to be wired I would have to drill holes,and fix a bunch of other shit. I just don't have the time or the patience to go wired at the moment. One day I will have a wired connection one day...

Facism

FFObsessed said:

I'm glad you didn't mention training me. It acknowledges my skill. I'm like The Boss to your Naked Snake.

And Lince is Eva.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I like checking the first page of this thread every once in a while to look at the screenshots and the animated gifs. This game is so damn nice looking... I still don't think there are more than one or two games that can hold a candle to how awesome Killzone 2 looks.

I can't wait for a Killzone 3 to be announced.

FFObsessed said:
'
TheFatOne said:
I wouldn't doubt you trained them all because not one person in your list is decent >.<

In order to be wired I would have to drill holes,and fix a bunch of other shit. I just don't have the time or the patience to go wired at the moment. One day I will have a wired connection one day...

:lol :lol :lol

JardeL

TheFatOne said:
:lol
TheFatOne said:
:mad: FIX THIS SHIT GG!!

Hopefully I'll be back in a month btw. Still need to play some other games. Damn , KZ2 is soooo addictive :(.

Zen

Banned
You know what's great about the Killzone 2 Multiplayer community these days? You can have all weapons enabled and it no longer turns into Rocket spam.

DigiMish

I was thinking of getting the top 1% of the week during Thanksgiving week. Will be interesting to see the # of players on the leaderboards compared to before MW2.

KZ2 was good, it just needs some tweaks for KZ3 to be truly excellent. For SP I think everyone has made it clear that they want more open play as well as more actual story like the original. I would love to see some more open sandboxy like areas to battle in and better integration of vehicles for one. Halo like vehicle usage in the Killzone setting would be heavenly. Get an exo suit and wander around blowing shit up? Yes please.

For the aiming, I do think GG over did it. Some like the sluggishness and I just got accustomed to it but it obviously was a huge deciding factor for so many, seriously how much negativity did we see come out of the game demo and the way it controlled? I'm sure it hurt the games longevity and perhaps its sales. Now I don't think it should be made ridiculous like it is in COD with the camera on the stick, I do like the weight aspect and think they should go for a middle ground. Battlefield BC for example is a good example as it has much more weight than a COD game in movement and aiming, but it's still accessible and not as harsh as KZ2. The basic turning speed in KZ is just over the top slow, or if anything I would like them to adopt perhaps a quick turn around feature like you would find in the survival horror games to quickly change facing.

MP wise it was addicting but I think they did lot of things wrong, as I said before the classes in a class based online shooter should not be unlockables, they should be open to everyone while making weapons, options, abilities unlockable.

I wouldn't mind seeing damage on lot of the weapons increasing. The revolver is crazy powerful but at times it takes too many shots to bring an enemy down with other weapons, especially in the single player where it seems like your dumping a clip into an enemy.

The game works with 32 players, but really it doesn't play that well for it, a p2p online console game should be no more than 16 max. If your game is not running at optimal at such high player games, then don't release the game with such as default. Dedicated server perhaps would have been a big help to the game, but also majority of the maps didn't accommodate 32 players well anyways. I think 32 being default scared away many since there was lag and so so much chaos.

And more weapons and more sci fi elements please, too many ISA/Helghan mirrored weapons and not enough variety in MP.

Zen

Banned
Inanna Dan said:
MAG is waaaayyy better! :D

Honestly I haven't been able to really get into MAG, I like the scale in terms of complexity, but the core gameplay doesn't measure up for me. I've been playing MAG semi regularly since I got into the Beta.

DigiMish said:
I was thinking of getting the top 1% of the week during Thanksgiving week. Will be interesting to see the # of players on the leaderboards compared to before MW2.

Would be interested to see the comparison. Still it does seem like there's a dgood amount of people who are playing. I'd be interested to see the LTD numbers for Killzone 2. IMO it didn't catch on because a LOT of people had problems with the controls and that word of mouth really muted the sales potential. I never had problems with the controls, but if they had the controls then that they do now, I could see it having sold more, because frankly the controls are way better than every other PS3 FPS that I've played.

MAG is doomed to fail. Only a few months away from release and it's gotten pretty much zero exposure from any magazines or media, there is pretty much zero hype going into this. Since its original reveals its been met with nothing but negativity from most of the gaming community.

And if SONY puts about as much marketing power into MAG as they have KZ2 (which was laughable) the game is going to be doa. The game also has the "generic" tag being tossed around it everywhere it seems, it just does not look like its going to get a fair shake at all. Out of all the PS3 exclusives which have had dubious results in sales, this one seems to have alot going against it. I just think it's doomed.

TheFatOne

BattleMonkey said:
MAG is doomed to fail. Only a few months away from release and it's gotten pretty much zero exposure from any magazines or media, there is pretty much zero hype going into this. Since its original reveals its been met with nothing but negativity from most of the gaming community.

And if SONY puts about as much marketing power into MAG as they have KZ2 (which was laughable) the game is going to be doa. The game also has the "generic" tag being tossed around it everywhere it seems, it just does not look like its going to get a fair shake at all. Out of all the PS3 exclusives which have had dubious results in sales, this one seems to have alot going against it. I just think it's doomed.

Am I in bizaro world. MAG is a much better game than Killzone 2 will ever be. It might not set the charts on fire, but it will do well.

TheFatOne said:
Am I in bizaro world. MAG is a much better game than Killzone 2 will ever be. It might not set the charts on fire, but it will do well.

I didn't say anything about the games quality, as I said, it's just going to be a sales disaster the way it's been handled.

Seriously the game outside of a few hardcore gaffers, has zero publicity from the gamer world and especially the general public.

As for being better than KZ2, I will wait and see once I try it. Beta players jizzed all over KZ mp and once it came out it was nothing but bitching.

Robot 492

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
I didn't say anything about the games quality, as I said, it's just going to be a sales disaster the way it's been handled.

Seriously the game outside of a few hardcore gaffers, has zero publicity from the gamer world and especially the general public.

As for being better than KZ2, I will wait and see once I try it. Beta players jizzed all over KZ mp and once it came out it was nothing but bitching.
Isn't it like this for most games? :lol

I don't know about MAG not selling well. The game seems to be getting a lot of positive reception from people who have played it. I'm sure it won't sell millions of copies, but with a decent advertising campaign, the game could do fairly well (assuming the reviews are positive enough). Again though, it all depends on whether or not Sony decides to heavily advertise the game.

NeoUltima

I still love the MP, haven't played it for awhile, but its amazing imo. Having all the game modes in a single match is the greatest thing ever.

Modern Warfare 2's SP has been SHIT so far, I honestly think KZ2 destroys it, the gun mechanics are so much more interesting as well. I agree with people saying it feels outdated now.

Unfortunately I have too many problems with KZ2's MP so COD still has the edge. Still, KZ2 probably has the best fps "feel" on consoles.

Robot 492

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
And this is where Sony pretty much always fails.
Pretty much.

Although, the recent ads (like the Montage one) have been on a lot. Sony has really stepped up their advertising since the Slim dropped. It'll be interesting to see how much money Sony invests in MAG with both God of War III and Gran Turismo 5 coming out a couple months later.

KZObsessed

Just played a 32 player Rockets/Assault enabled game on Tharsis Academy...

The magic never left! :lol

Still went 100-28 in a mass of boosting rockets!

KZ2>>U2

NeoUltima

Too bad this game may be robbed GOTY awards(edit: FPS category, not overall) since it came out so early and MW2 is fresh in peoples minds. This happens in general though(first half games get shafted in awards), not just exclusive to this situation.

That's all I'll say on this matter.

YoungHav

Banned
:lol this game isn't getting robbed of anything. There are shooters out with better praised single player (Uncharted 2), it would not surprise me if Modern Warfare 2 has better multi (being that CoD4's multi is better) and personally I liked Demon's Souls more than this.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
YoungHav said:
:lol this game isn't getting robbed of anything. There are shooters out with better praised single player (Uncharted 2), it would not surprise me if Modern Warfare 2 has better multi (being that CoD4's multi is better) and personally I liked Demon's Souls more than this.

I agree, I like KZ2, it's a great game, but it definitely has its share of problems. I wasn't too impressed by the single player, though it had it's moments, and I just never got into the multiplayer. I think Uncharted 2's single player is easily better than KZ2's.

Zen

Banned
YoungHav said:

Different genre but fair enough. Though I think it's undeniable that they hurt themselves when it came to the controls. I personally liked them, but having such a huge (purposeful) deadzone was probably a bad idea for aiming at a casual audience. If the game had sjipped with the controls they have now, then it probably would have done much better. KZ2 had mixed WoM because of the controls, that was my experience anyway. It makes me facepalm at how GG could screw up so badly on such a crucial aspect. They have no one to blame but themselves.

The same thing again with how the handled spawn invincibility. In the beta there use to be none, and people complained about base camping. So instead of just implementing a spawn invincibility for spawning at your base, they stupidly implemented it for everything, which created serious problems with certain game modes as well as plenty of 'WTF that's bullshit I was shooting that guy!" moments from the player base for the game.

That coupled with iffy netcode? Yeah that's going to turn off casual FPS fans very quickly. Thankfully they actually started listening to the community properly (implementing revisions, not drastic broad strokes that created new problems), but taht was well after the point of no return. Even if they made a much better shooting with KZ3, they aren't going to get the same kind of sales as they did with Killzone 2 because the perceptions are already out there and it's in a crowded FPS market.

They had a shot at elevating Killzone to something equivalent to a MGS versus the big big blockbusters like GTA and Halo (as is pretty much as big as you can get without being one of the very top sellers), and they failed. Not only that but they stillborned their IP and made it much harder for them to ever reach taht level. It's different for a 'generic' FPS like CDall of Duty because Killzone is so defined and thus less approachable. Chances are they won't have until the 4th iteration to make Killzone a mega Success.

Killzone 2 had over 600 thousand people log into Multiplayer within the first day or week. It had tremendous up front interested, and Guerilla passed on a golden opportunity. Now would it have been another Halo, CoD, whatever, with them having not made the mistakes that they did? Probably not, but it would have done much better than the poor legs it got.

Has it even crossed 1 million in America yet? It might do that by the end of this Christmas.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Lion Heart said:
Modern Warfare 2's SP has been SHIT so far, I honestly think KZ2 destroys it, the gun mechanics are so much more interesting as well. I agree with people saying it feels outdated now.

Unfortunately I have too many problems with KZ2's MP so COD still has the edge. Still, KZ2 probably has the best fps "feel" on consoles.

I wouldn't call MW2's SP campaign shit, I think it's pretty frantic and fun. But I agree with you otherwise. KZ2 is the best FPS I've played this generation so far.

But I am a SP player only.

Playing through the SP campaign of MW2 really makes you realize what a excellent job GG did.
I went back and played through a couple levels and graphically this game trumps every fps shooter released its not even funny. More than that though the controls the cover system and weapons and the unrelenting feeling of oppression and dread that the atmosphere conveys is unmatched. It truly makes MW2 feel like a bargain bin game its so superior.

Also even though I am having a absolute blast with MW2 mp even more so than COD4 I still think with just a couple of tweaks the mp in KZ2 could be king of the hill.

YoungHav

Banned
Zen said:
Different genre but fair enough. Though I think it's undeniable that they hurt themselves when it came to the controls. I personally liked them, but having such a huge (purposeful) deadzone was probably a bad idea for aiming at a casual audience. If the game had sjipped with the controls they have now, then it probably would have done much better. KZ2 had mixed WoM because of the controls, that was my experience anyway. It makes me facepalm at how GG could screw up so badly on such a crucial aspect. They have no one to blame but themselves.

The same thing again with how the handled spawn invincibility. In the beta there use to be none, and people complained about base camping. So instead of just implementing a spawn invincibility for spawning at your base, they stupidly implemented it for everything, which created serious problems with certain game modes as well as plenty of 'WTF that's bullshit I was shooting that guy!" moments from the player base for the game.

That coupled with iffy netcode? Yeah that's going to turn off casual FPS fans very quickly. Thankfully they actually started listening to the community properly (implementing revisions, not drastic broad strokes that created new problems), but taht was well after the point of no return. Even if they made a much better shooting with KZ3, they aren't going to get the same kind of sales as they did with Killzone 2 because the perceptions are already out there and it's in a crowded FPS market.

They had a shot at elevating Killzone to something equivalent to a MGS versus the big big blockbusters like GTA and Halo (as is pretty much as big as you can get without being one of the very top sellers), and they failed. Not only that but they stillborned their IP and made it much harder for them to ever reach taht level. It's different for a 'generic' FPS like CDall of Duty because Killzone is so defined and thus less approachable. Chances are they won't have until the 4th iteration to make Killzone a mega Success.

Killzone 2 had over 600 thousand people log into Multiplayer within the first day or week. It had tremendous up front interested, and Guerilla passed on a golden opportunity. Now would it have been another Halo, CoD, whatever, with them having not made the mistakes that they did? Probably not, but it would have done much better than the poor legs it got.

Has it even crossed 1 million in America yet? It might do that by the end of this Christmas.
I personally loved the day 1 controls; I understand they were too different for the masses. I don't think it hurt GG as much as lack of advertising. Before this game dropped I was banking on Sony pricedropping the system to help KZ2 sales. Never happened. Drop happened with the Slim and a lot of games are reaping the benefits. Price drop or not I think Sony could've pushed this game more. In the end I'll take Cod4 over this, the only reason I've logged more KZ2 hrs is because I'm such a trophy whore. This game is still good, i loved the new add on maps though I think they should've been packed in w/the game to begin with. Also wish they had a proper Halo3/Uncharted 2 match replay system or killcam.

KZObsessed

BruceLeeRoy said:
Playing through the SP campaign of MW2 really makes you realize what a excellent job GG did.
I went back and played through a couple levels and graphically this game trumps every fps shooter released its not even funny. More than that though the controls the cover system and weapons and the unrelenting feeling of oppression and dread that the atmosphere conveys is unmatched. It truly makes MW2 feel like a bargain bin game its so superior.

Also even though I am having a absolute blast with MW2 mp even more so than COD4 I still think with just a couple of tweaks the mp in KZ2 could be king of the hill.

KZ2 already is baby. 560 hours and counting. Now change your avatar back to KZ2. That's an order.

kthnx

KZObsessed

Thunderbear said:
I wouldn't call MW2's SP campaign shit, I think it's pretty frantic and fun. But I agree with you otherwise. KZ2 is the best FPS I've played this generation so far.

But I am a SP player only.

Try MP. It's magnificent. Way better than SP, which was great in itself.

NeoUltima

YoungHav said:
Oops, sorry for late response. I wasn't referring to it winning the overall goty. I meant for FPS awards. UC2 will(should) win almost all overall goty awards. That's a given.

Zen

Banned
I think I'll be safe saying this here: Killzone 2 is still the best looking PS3 game to me (Yes better than Uncharted 2). Does anyone remember the stairwell right before you look out onto the street looking across to the Hotel you have to invade? I mean holy hell.

ZeroRay

Zen said:
I think I'll be safe saying this here: Killzone 2 is still the best looking PS3 game to me (Yes better than Uncharted 2). Does anyone remember the stairwell right before you look out onto the street looking across to the Hotel you have to invade? I mean holy hell.

Remember how much Uncharted 2 was an improvement of the first one in nearly every aspect?

Imagine the same jump in KZ3. The graphics would melt my TV!

TheFatOne

You know what I just noticed. To this day I have not beaten the single player in Killzone 2. Every time I would play a few levels I would stop, and play online. My system would freeze online and delete my save. I have not beaten the single player and I refuse to play Killzone 2 anymore so I will never beat the game. Fuck GG for making my game freeze, and deleting my save games.

Facism

BruceLeeRoy said:
:lol If I had your skills bro I would play every day.

what skills? :p I consistently outperform FFO whenever i play with him :eek:

500 hours and he can't hold a handle to what i achieve at 100 hours :eek:

Plus FFO has a brown jacket and lives in Manchester :O

KZObsessed

:lol hey hey, the last set of clan games we played I finished top in every single one. Including the one you played in. While playing as tact. And my jacket is fabulous. And f u.

Played this again last night after a couple months off.

When did the LAG get so bad?

I was using shotgun: I'd pull the trigger and then a second later, the opponent would either fly backwards, dead, or not.

I was sort of expecting the rocket/grenade spam, which is disappointing to begin with, but the lag makes the game all but unplayable.

What gives? Are they going to fix this?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Been playing MW2, but it's actually hyped me up to play KZ2 multi again with the new turret introduction.

Now if only I could get it back from my friend.

Top Bottom