• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

TheFatOne

Played a couple of games with some gafers. So much damn lag. I still can't believe they didn't fix propaganda speaker glitch. Cheapest search and retrieve ever by me. Also I want to apologize for screaming about lag, but man boost makes everyone I fight feel like they have 200% health.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Do people still play this game online? So tempted to buy it back after seeing some gameplay videos of it yesterday and hearing the chirp...

Violater

DMeisterJ said:
Do people still play this game online? So tempted to buy it back after seeing some gameplay videos of it yesterday and hearing the chirp...

I am willing to get back into it anytime Gaf is ready, and the double chirp is where its at :D

Lince

Banned
fantastic and super fun games KZO & Dave, rest of GAFe assemble, today is KZ2 day.

TIME TO DIE

edit: PSN down, GAFe dismiss, let's play Critter Crunch instead

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
morlock said:
All this news about killzone the recent days makes me regret lending out my copy... :(
I've been wanting to play the game since the KZ3 announcement but my TV broke and isn't back from repair yet. I feel your pain.

Einbroch

Banned
So with the new KZ3 trailer, I looked behind me and I saw KZ2 staring at me. Now, I haven't played it since...oh, I don't know, six months ago, but I remember the controls feeling strange and I couldn't get into the story. Granted, I only played the first two levels or whatever, but should I return to the party? Does the story pick up a little at least? Do you get used to the controls after a while?

Thanks!

NameIess

I jumped online a few days ago and remembered this game is great playing with a team, but gets old fast playing with random people...

If they can get the balancing a bit better with the map size and game modes I can spend a lot of time playing KZ3.

Still the best FPS visually on any console...

Brera

Banned
Killzone is the best fps since Goldeneye!

If they sorted out the character design of the humans, it would be awesome! Helgast are awesome enemies though!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think I'm gonna jump back into some KZ2 in regards to the new one and the trailer and everything. I've tried out a lot of different MP games since I sort of retired from KZ2 but nothing has stuck with me. I might as well get back into it, sounds like a plan to me.

RaGe_pt

I know I'm late but I just bought KZ2 and I have been playing it a lot. Damn I love the multiplayer :D so addicting. Hope I see some of you gaf in there!

RaGe_pt said:
I know I'm late but I just bought KZ2 and I have been playing it a lot. Damn I love the multiplayer :D so addicting. Hope I see some of you gaf in there!

I recently purchased KZ2 (again), the lag is annoying but still fun.

KZObsessed

Facism said:
So I noticed there was a new KZ2 gaf chatroom on mah ps3. Do people actually use this and play?

Nope. Lasted about a day. I've been playing every night recently but I'll take a break soon. CrushDance and Userfriendly have still been playing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Violater said:
I am willing to get back into it anytime Gaf is ready, and the double chirp is where its at :D

Yes! I just started playing... it's fun. Even with randoms.

Learning the maps atm (offline play with bots is great for that) but definitely want to play with gaffers.

Edit: can people who still play post their PSN names?

JB1981

recklessmind said:

Learning the maps atm (offline play with bots is great for that) but definitely want to play with gaffers.

Beamber

KZObsessed

recklessmind said:

FFObsessed, if you want to add me for some play.

Lince and I still play together now and again.

recklessmind said:

Palantiri

NA-E and usually on in the evenings.

Finally starting to get use to the MP. I can see why all of you were so into back in the day. It can be addicting when everyone's not spawn camping the other team to death. Jumping into a lobby with multiple match types seams to be the most fun, since you can't just spawn camp your way to victory.
KZObsessed said:
Nope. Lasted about a day. I've been playing every night recently but I'll take a break soon. CrushDance and Userfriendly have still been playing.
A few more joined after you left last night. We had some great matches. So glad people on my friends list are still willing to play this.

KZObsessed

Somnium986 said:
Finally starting to get use to the MP. I can see why all of you were so into back in the day. It can be addicting when everyone's not spawn camping the other team to death. Jumping into a lobby with multiple match types seams to be the most fun, since you can't just spawn camp your way to victory.

A few more joined after you left last night. We had some great matches. So glad people on my friends list are still willing to play this.

Ahh that's good. Sorry I couldn't stay, being in Europe I'd already played for many hours before you guys got on so I was a little burnt out. I'll try and join you guys next time I see you on.

Yeah, the games great when teams are balanced. Shame you couldn't have played early on when the clans were super active. Join us from the start when KZ3 launches, should be a lot of fun.

KZObsessed said:
Ahh that's good. Sorry I couldn't stay, being in Europe I'd already played for many hours before you guys got on so I was a little burnt out. I'll try and join you guys next time I see you on.

Yeah, the games great when teams are balanced. Shame you couldn't have played early on when the clans were super active. Join us from the start when KZ3 launches, should be a lot of fun.
Yeah i missed out on Killzone 2 when it came out. Plus I wasn't a member of NeoGAF back then. Will be there Day One for KZ3 though. :mad:

Been trying to play every night as well. Don't know how much good it will do if GG actually improve the MP.:lol Crush, and Ryan usually join.

Evolved1

Played some more MP for a little while today... there are some things that are kind of annoying in this game.

Being a low level player, seems like everything is designed to punish you. Seems like every fucking server is body count... or you'll have a cool S&D round that last 5 mins and then a 30 min BC? Wtf.

I can't play half the fucking games I want to because of my rank. I don't have shit for weapons (though both AR's are pretty good) and it seems the only times I die are from cheesy bullshit... like some cloaked douche or someone dressed as my own team, or a goddamned turret. One time I picked up a sniper rifle from a guy I melee'd and got a nine kill streak (the SR stays scoped between shots haha...too easy) only to get killed by a saboteur. All the supposedly veteran players are tacticians and constantly throw spawns in the most retarded places. No one plays medic. Why are there people running around at like 2x sprint speed? No one uses a mic -- or you can't clearly hear the few that do.

My gun has no ammo! Two mags and I'm dry... and then it's pistol time. I mean it takes an entire mag to drop a sentry bot, but that always leaves me fucked.

If I had half the shit these knuckleheads used they'd be dead. As it stands now I drop two or three guys and I'm out of fucking ammo. W/o a single perk to help myself and holding the shitty pistol.

This unlocking shit trend in MP is the worst thing from this gen.

Edit: Game is still fun though.

KZObsessed

If you set the search to my rank only you can hopefully avoid having to keep selecting servers which wont allow you in or playing with high ranked players.

If you can't find any decent servers (which at times is dificult even if you're at a high level) try making your own and seeing if it fills up quick enough. Don't foget to make sure it's also set to "my rank only" or you'll get "top players" coming in to try and farm you :lol

edit: also I don't mind letting you farm me for certain ribboons/badges. I'm done it with a few in 1v1 Radec games. I suggest trying to get the pistol ones quickly because then you unlock the handcannon (M4) kills a non assault player in two shots. The starting pistol is terrible.

Evolved1

Thanks for the offer, but I'll do it legit.

I just need to play a little bit more to get into the groove. One thing messing me up is that (unlike BC2 you don't have to lead your shots and there's no bullet drop) that's hard to get used to.

Uh... is there friendly fire? I've never killed a teammate but I swear I got lit up by my own team a few times. But maybe it was a saboteur. I've been holding back sometimes when I think a guy is a sabby for fear that I'll kill a teammate, only to have their name turn red and they kill me. If no FF... then I'd just light them up to be safe.

KZObsessed

recklessmind said:
Thanks for the offer, but I'll do it legit.

I just need to play a little bit more to get into the groove. One thing messing me up is that (unlike BC2 you don't have to lead your shots and there's no bullet drop) that's hard to get used to.

Uh... is there friendly fire? I've never killed a teammate but I swear I got lit up by my own team a few times. But maybe it was a saboteur. I've been holding back sometimes when I think a guy is a sabby for fear that I'll kill a teammate, only to have their name turn red and they kill me. If no FF... then I'd just light them up to be safe.

Friendly Fire is off by default but you can turn it on when making a server. Probably more than 90% of the servers FF is off tho, not many people add it. The saboteurs when disguised ALWAYS look like the standard rifleman class. Also, the lights do not show up on their character model. That includes the eyes of the Helghast and the blue lights on the ISA. They also don't appear on your radar as a friendly. You crosshair should also turn red when it's on them and sometimes the name of the friendly they've stolen changes. So keep out for the telltale signs. Once you're playing in games with people who have all the classes unlocked you'll be able to tell everytime because it's rare that someone will remain as a rifleman, only ones that do will be using the LMG which saboteurs wont have.

The only weapon you really have to lead when firing is the sniper rifle if you're going for a moving target. Yeah there's no bullet drop but it helps to aim the dot sight of the standard M82 a little higher than dead on if you want to get a head shot from distance.

So i've been playing almost every night. Even got a valor rank. And I have to say it's one of the most enjoyable MP games i've played. When it's not so damn laggy of course .:lol . I have a decent connection so I know it's not me. I shoot a non assault with 3 short bursts from a sub-machine gun they'll turn around, and down me with said machine gun with one short burst.:/ Spwan camping is another big problem.

And is it just me or is it really hard to aim in this game? There have been multiple time were I thought I lined up a perfect head shot but no damage indicator. This is especially annoying when it happens at close range. This happens a lot with the pistols and the pew pew gun.
can't remember the real name xD
Or is it lag/recoil related?

Despite all it's problems I think I'll be playing this for a while.

Irish

It's obviously your lack of skill that's the problem, Som. :p

I just picked this game up for the first time a few days ago and I'm really loving it. It seems like a ton of fun. Of course, playing with Som, Ryan, Crush, and Joe also adds to that fun factor.

Actually, I think I'll have some time to start playing in the day. More time for Euros. I might be able to catch you while you're playing, FFO. I saw you on KZ earlier in the day, but I didn't have the time to sit down and play. Of course, we got together a little later on in freeze-filled MoH beta, but that's entirely different.

Good timing with this recent bump! I jumped online after almost a year of not playing, and it still holds up remarkably. Very different feel to everything else - which is fuel for the whingers, but a breath of fresh air for many others. The JPN servers were going off on Saturday night, which was great fun.

Got schooled good and proper, but it's not a game where you can jump in and immediately start owning without having done the "proper study" prior.

KZObsessed

CrushDance said:
The king still reigns.

oooh *blushes* Thank you!

Somnium986 said:
So i've been playing almost every night. Even got a valor rank. And I have to say it's one of the most enjoyable MP games i've played. When it's not so damn laggy of course .:lol . I have a decent connection so I know it's not me. I shoot a non assault with 3 short bursts from a sub-machine gun they'll turn around, and down me with said machine gun with one short burst.:/ Spwan camping is another big problem.

And is it just me or is it really hard to aim in this game? There have been multiple time were I thought I lined up a perfect head shot but no damage indicator. This is especially annoying when it happens at close range. This happens a lot with the pistols and the pew pew gun.
can't remember the real name xD
Or is it lag/recoil related?

Despite all it's problems I think I'll be playing this for a while.

Yeah, lag is a big problem in this game, not your fault! The game usually plays fine when everyone in the server is from the same region but when other regions join in can go to hell. I was in an EU server when you guys joined me so that's probably why it was so bad for you.

Aiming of the crosshair/gun is pretty easy, but getting your bullets to hit is a different matter. :p Recoil and spread are relatively significant on most of the weapons and the auto aim isn't as great as shooters like CoD for example. You can't just hold down R1 or for the pistols and semi aotimatic rifle just hammer R1 til you get a kill. You have to wait for the recoil to subside in between shots somewhat. And yeah lag certainly affects the auto-aim and what not. I remember in a clan game when everytime I shot someone with the M4, the hit marker would appear at a random place on the screen and the shot wouldn't count :lol Weirdest shit i've ever seen in a online FPS.

Irish said:
It's obviously your lack of skill that's the problem, Som. :p

I just picked this game up for the first time a few days ago and I'm really loving it. It seems like a ton of fun. Of course, playing with Som, Ryan, Crush, and Joe also adds to that fun factor.

Actually, I think I'll have some time to start playing in the day. More time for Euros. I might be able to catch you while you're playing, FFO. I saw you on KZ earlier in the day, but I didn't have the time to sit down and play. Of course, we got together a little later on in freeze-filled MoH beta, but that's entirely different.

Yay! Try and join Lince and I sometime. Having a 3/4 man GAF squad is always awesome.

The MoH Beta was surpisingly fun, shame in the 2 matches I played it caused my PS3 to freeze 3 times :lol Might give it another go but if it keeps freezing I'll have to wait hopefully for an update.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Good timing with this recent bump! I jumped online after almost a year of not playing, and it still holds up remarkably. Very different feel to everything else - which is fuel for the whingers, but a breath of fresh air for many others. The JPN servers were going off on Saturday night, which was great fun.

Got schooled good and proper, but it's not a game where you can jump in and immediately start owning without having done the "proper study" prior.

Yeah that's normal in this game when you've gone without playing for a while. When I come back to it, I usually always spawn at base for the first match or so just to get back into the flow of things. That way you can avoid using people's awful spawn grenades that disorientate you and get you killed instantly. :p

Facism

If you're on tonight i might join in, play for 20 minutes then rage out of the clusterfuck and play some actual decent mp, like Natural Selection :<

FU FFO, yeah FFO. Let that marinate!

You guys all left me to be ronery and went to BC2. Sure I was a Uncharted 2 fangirl but I'm back in KZ2 now. Sorry, your time is over. You, Lince, Lyulf, AJ, and especially Dave. I will 31vs1 anytime, anyplace like last time :3

And Somnium, stay away from my valor :mad:

I miss Raist :(

KZObsessed said:
Aiming of the crosshair/gun is pretty easy, but getting your bullets to hit is a different matter. :p Recoil and spread are relatively significant on most of the weapons and the auto aim isn't as great as shooters like CoD for example. You can't just hold down R1 or for the pistols and semi aotimatic rifle just hammer R1 til you get a kill. You have to wait for the recoil to subside in between shots somewhat. And yeah lag certainly affects the auto-aim and what not. I remember in a clan game when everytime I shot someone with the M4, the hit marker would appear at a random place on the screen and the shot wouldn't count :lol Weirdest shit i've ever seen in a online FPS.
Thanks for the info. I know what you mean about weird shit though. Was in a warzone game with really laggy Japanese players. Was shooting a guy on my left and got a headshot... on a guy that was to my right. :O

Cagen

CrushDance said:

You guys all left me to be ronery and went to BC2. Sure I was a Uncharted 2 fangirl but I'm back in KZ2 now. Sorry, your time is over. You, Lince, Lyulf, AJ, and especially Dave. I will 31vs1 anytime, anyplace like last time :3

Fuck Raist, why am I not mentioned?

Might jump on tonight for a few games after the Argentina match, if people are going to be on. Rather not play any of the map packs though as I don't have the 3rd one and the other 2 are atrocious.

Cagen said:
Fuck Raist, why am I not mentioned?

Might jump on tonight for a few games after the Argentina match, if people are going to be on. Rather not play any of the map packs though as I don't have the 3rd one and the other 2 are atrocious.
Ragen Cagen :( Man you and Raist are barely on anymore, </3

Lince

Banned
CrushDance said:

are you really back? lies, I joined you a couple of times and you left shortly afterwards, Chryz, Steroyd and Dave are the ones who are really back :p

Lince said:
are you really back? lies, I joined you a couple of times and you left shortly afterwards, Chryz, Steroyd and Dave are the ones who are really back :p
No I am :) You joined later remember? I was on my last match when you came, I sent you a message! But yeah I play everyday when I can. Missed it so much :D

Facism

what chat room are we using for this now? The old GAFe one or the brand spanking new one that was made like a week ago? I will get some games in tonight but it's probably going to be around 12am BST.

Facism said:
what chat room are we using for this now? The old GAFe one or the brand spanking new one that was made like a week ago? I will get some games in tonight but it's probably going to be around 12am BST.
Killzone 2 Gaf Chat.

And I just rage quit my match. Other team scored in S&D twice then camped the speaker in their spawn. Fail.

ChryZ

Lince said:
Nice break from SSF4. Killzone2 still owns. We need to do this again. I still have to crack the 100k before Killzone3 :D

So I got the DLC and am gonna try to get all those trophies, will try to do it legit unless it's really a pain then I'll try to do 1 on 1 matches with someone. When are you guys playing? Who's organizing it?

AranhaHunter said:
So I got the DLC and am gonna try to get all those trophies, will try to do it legit unless it's really a pain then I'll try to do 1 on 1 matches with someone. When are you guys playing? Who's organizing it?

You are going to have a hard time getting them legit at this point. Most of the "new map" game servers are set at 32p games which may make it a bit hectic for some of the tasks. However, getting all of the bolt gun kills is fun in a 32p game and few people seem to go for that weapon (I don't ever have any problems picking it up where it spawns).

With that said, I believe all of the DLC trophies can be earned while playing against bots in a public match.

Top Bottom