• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

jayb

Onion_Relish said:
damnit, you cant show me sites like this, i cant afford it T_T

Also, the top 1% trophy isnt hard, you just have to not suck. I'm not trying to come off as arrogant by any means, you just have to remember it does it by total points, so if you play smarter, not harder, its more than reachable. I got it my first week without even trying that hard, i maybe played 4 days? Got 4 trophies at once, felt good :lol

Sure, the first week had way more people playing than later in the year when I went for it. the more people playing, the easier it is to get into the top 1%.

Philanthropist said:

Woah... how did that get leaked? o_O

The screenshot from the link above:

attachment.php

Onion_Relish said:
I'd hardly call it grinding. Now your avatar on the other hand...

I have around 150 hours in Killzone 2, led a large team that had a very nice W/L. I never got 3rd or 4th trophy for the week rank. You need to grind for it.

And MAG is only a grind if you don't play it as a leader. If you do, it's not a grind. Far from it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm playing through the single player right now for the first time... this game is fucking awesome.

Nothing looks better. I mean you can count polys and compare textures and all that annoying shit, but at the end of the day this game is greater than the sum of its parts. The art is amazing; the post processing stuff and motion blur makes the game believable... one thing you rarely get a sense of in games is atmosphere (I mean literally) it's like the air is heavy and oppressive.

Not without its negatives, of course, but it's amazing what the developer has accomplished. Really is.

I might try and get into mp a bit, but I feel like I'm pretty late to the party on that.

ACE 1991

recklessmind said:
I'm playing through the single player right now for the first time... this game is fucking awesome.

Nothing looks better. I mean you can count polys and compare textures and all that annoying shit, but at the end of the day this game is greater than the sum of its parts. The art is amazing; the post processing stuff and motion blur makes the game believable... one thing you rarely get a sense of in games is atmosphere (I mean literally) it's like the air is heavy and oppressive.

Not without its negatives, of course, but it's amazing what the developer has accomplished. Really is.

I might try and get into mp a bit, but I feel like I'm pretty late to the party on that.

I LOVE the gun models in this game. The ISA Assault Rifle is soooo aesthetically pleasing.

Evolved1

ACE 1991 said:
I LOVE the gun models in this game. The ISA Assault Rifle is soooo aesthetically pleasing.

They are all fantastic. I do miss the secondary fire on weapons though... I read their reasons for changing it, but I think fun-factor in SP takes a pretty big hit because of it. Especially since you can only carry one weapon. I love the long reloads, they are amazing, but with bullet sponge Higgs, things get pretty frustrating at times. Nice shotgun blast would help in those situations. It'd also make the Helghast rifle worth picking up during the campaign.

Oh well... game is still awesome.

Evolved1

Omg that Mech was cool as shit. Crap that was awesome... and everything after was intense! I'm fighting the last guy, I think. Pretty rough, actually died a few times.

Taking a break for the night... hopefully beat it tomorrow and start the elite playthrough.

Also, turned off precision mode after 3/4 of the game. The controls finally clicked awhile back and now I think they're pretty great. Initially I found them cumbersome, but now they feel weighty and reminiscent of KZ1.

I'm even enjoying the later story parts. Didn't really like it so much at first, but it's definitely gotten progressively better. As a big fan of the original, I found the situation with Templar poignant. Rico is better at the end of the game too.

This is a great fucking game... I have a feeling most of the hate comes from folks who didn't play through it.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
kinoki said:
I'm currently ranked at #1701072 but hopefully I'll climb a few thousand places this weekend when I finally sit down and play this game in multiplayer for the first time.

:)

Well, finally got around to it and sat down with the multiplayer last night. Now I'm ranked at #1196144. I don't really get the ribbon system and I'm wondering when the class-system is coming into play. I'm guessing once I've gotten a certain rank or something.

It was fun though, although a bit graphicly monotone, but that's the game and it comes from playing too much Team Fortress 2. Looking forward to playing some more.

I hope they don't focus too much on 3d. If the game is gonna be 30 fps again, 3d is gonna be 15? Nevertheless, bring it on. Can't wait to destroy everyone again.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Okay. So I played a little more, unlocked the medic class and advanced a couple of hundred thousand rankings. This game is very fun and getting more addictive by the minute. Why didn't I play this before?

jett

D-Member
Recent KZ3 news made me load up the ol' KZ2.

Holy crap I just found an easy way to kill Radec, I dunno if this is new or what. Flamethrower = instadeath. He'll teleport all over the place while on fire, making it easy as hell to shoot him, all the while slowly dying from the flames. :lol I wish I had known this during the first time I played the game, I was totally loving the SP campaign but the Radec fight left a seriously bitter taste in my mouth, single-handedly soiling the fun I had with the game.

meppi

kinoki said:
Okay. So I played a little more, unlocked the medic class and advanced a couple of hundred thousand rankings. This game is very fun and getting more addictive by the minute. Why didn't I play this before?

Just wait till you unlock the saboteur class. I <3 that class more than anything and always play it in multiplayer.
The StA-14 riffle is hard to use at first, but if you learn to use it correctly, and it does take quite a bit of time it's the most satisfying gun in the game. :)

kinoki

meppi said:
Just wait till you unlock the saboteur class. I <3 that class more than anything and always play it in multiplayer.
The StA-14 riffle is hard to use at first, but if you learn to use it correctly, and it does take quite a bit of time it's the most satisfying gun in the game. :)

I enjoy the medic class, so far. Feels like a natural evolution of the game. I also like how the game gives you a grenade and if you for 8 games manage not to blow yourself or any of your teammates up they give you another. Same thing with the ammo, make good use of what you have and they award you more.

The unlocking-system that first seemed daunting now feels kind of refreshing. I'm having a hardtime letting go of my M82 rifle, we're such good friends. But I wonder if the novelty wears off when you reach General. I've been reading people wanting to go back to "vanilla" and I'm guessing it's the classless games of when you're a Private.

Rank #801979 now. The climb is long but I'm getting there. A few hundred thousand per day.

Edit: A few questions for anyone who can give me an answer.

Q. When I check the trophy list I see a ton of "Do X 5 times in Y level", these are the DLC packs right?

Q. The weekly rankings resets when? Not that I plan on being top 1% anytime soon but it'd be good to know.

Progmetal

Just wanted to say that after i bought myself a new LCD, Killzone 2 has been totally unplayable at least online because of some 1 second controller lag or so. Couldn't hit anything at all. It wasn't likevthis when used a PC monitor and a vga box.
I use HDMI by the way.

But at last i found something that FIXED IT. :D

1) Turn RGB Range to Limited (I had it set to Full because I did not know that on HDMI Limited looks so much better [no banding])

2) Set Cross Filter to Off

3) Super White On (although this was already on)

4) just re-automatically let my HDMI find my optimal Resolutions

Found this on the playstation board, and it worked for me. Can't explain why though. Anybody else had problems with way to much controller lag?

To whoever said that 1% doesn't require grinding, that's complete bullshit. 330 hours and 100000 points, and I've never gotten that red ribbon. And I guarantee that I score faster than you. ;)

I'm definitely gonna be playing this all summer if BFBC2 doesn't keep me. So stoked for KZ3 right now, and GG better give priority beta keys to everyone at the Commander in Chief rank. :D

TheFury

I was lucky to get that red ribbon in the first week since Australia got the game a day early and I played hours on end. I have no idea why, but for some reason my rank changed to white(10%?) a long time ago and I never bothered to check why. Still have the trophy for the 1%. The capture and hold ribbons have eluded me though. One day I'll get them all.

Internet Celebrity said:
To whoever said that 1% doesn't require grinding, that's complete bullshit. 330 hours and 100000 points, and I've never gotten that red ribbon. And I guarantee that I score faster than you. ;)

I'm definitely gonna be playing this all summer if BFBC2 doesn't keep me. So stoked for KZ3 right now, and GG better give priority beta keys to everyone at the Commander in Chief rank. :D

That 1% trophy only counts a week's worth of play, not the entire thing. It doesn't matter you have put in 300 hours in total, unless you put that much amount in a week it doesn't matter.

Rapping Granny said:
That 1% trophy only counts a week's worth of play, not the entire thing. It doesn't matter you have put in 300 hours in total, unless you put that much amount in a week it doesn't matter.
I am aware of this. I'm just saying that I've never put in more than 15 hours in a single week...anything above that, I consider it grinding.

so LTTP I finally got the game

It's pretty gorgeous

playing Campaign on the hardest difficulty that's unlocked from the start and it seems kinda easy?

I am able run up on 90% of the AI dudes and just knife them since they seem to be shocked and stagger when they see me sprinting at them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
_dementia said:
so LTTP I finally got the game

It's pretty gorgeous

playing Campaign on the hardest difficulty that's unlocked from the start and it seems kinda easy?

I am able run up on 90% of the AI dudes and just knife them since they seem to be shocked and stagger when they see me sprinting at them.
Wait until you get to a certain palace.

Bearthgar

Banned
I feel like I'm the last kid in the world to discover masturbation. I just found out that you can see your battle replays on the killzone site. . . .

ACE 1991

How active/large is the online community? I played this game a lot last summer, but have since sold it. I kind of want to jump back in...

Yoshichan said:
Wait until you get to a certain palace.
Where is that? (spoiler tag please)

Anyway, I'm playing campaign and the voices seem extremely muted. I increased the voice volume while decreasing the music and sound effects, but I still can't hear shit. I'm glad there are subtitles, but is there another way to fix this? I'm playing in 5.1 over optical if it makes any difference.

kinoki

I'm having a blast playing multiplayer. I finally stopped sucking and started to realize what to do. Perhaps it comes from knowing the maps a little better, but it grows on you. Loving the Tactician class. Having a ton of fun placing spawnpoints and making sure they're defended properly. Didn't really get into the Engineering class, perhaps because we got off on the wrong foot with me expecting something more akin to the TF2 class. Still waiting for the Saboteur.

BeeDog

_dementia said:

Anyway, I'm playing campaign and the voices seem extremely muted. I increased the voice volume while decreasing the music and sound effects, but I still can't hear shit. I'm glad there are subtitles, but is there another way to fix this? I'm playing in 5.1 over optical if it makes any difference.

As I wrote in the Killzone 3 hype topic:

_dementia said:
thanks for the response i'll play around with it and see what works

Myself said:
Do note that KZ2's audio mixing ain't the best either, so don't be surprised if changing the audio settings won't help at all. I also have problems with unbalanced channels.

You're not alone with this issue, and I blame the game for this. :p

_dementia said:

Are you sure your center speaker is working correctly? I didnt have any problem with voices and my audio system is kinda old, can you turn up your center speaker volume?

So am I doing something wrong, or is online dead for this game?

I got a Ps3 a few months ago and finally got around to picking up KZ2. I tried to get into some matches last night but found nothing. Pretty shocked, Halo is still packed on 360.

KZObsessed

There's plenty of games. Just set the search for "WORLDWIDE" and don't search for any specific maps. Oh and turn "My Rank Only" off if there aren't many low ranked players on at that time.

Evolved1

jonnybryce said:
Oh damn.

Well, makes it easy for me. I guess I'll dive into single player and return it to Gamestop before my 7 days are up.

You have to have your search filters set appropriately. I'm a noob too... and the truth is that there are less games available to such low-level players. So, it's a bit hard to find games at first.

That's my impression of it, at least.

BeeDog said:
You're not alone with this issue, and I blame the game for this. :p

Yeah, I'm kinda shocked such a big budget game would overlook something like this, but then I remembered the first Gears of War had a similar problem with character voices.

sotodefonk said:
Are you sure your center speaker is working correctly? I didnt have any problem with voices and my audio system is kinda old, can you turn up your center speaker volume?
Yep it's fine. KZ2 and Gears1 are the only games in my extensive library with this issue on my setup. That and I have a couple posters backing me up. I'm fairly sure it's the game and not my hardware at this point, thank you very much.

Cornbread78

spats said:
To my knowledge US was never that big on KZ2. EU always had a bigger player base.

Umm, I'd beg to differ, I'd love to see the numbers, but NA represented very nicely.....

I played for a couple hours Friday night, god the cluster fu(k was great in Blood! It's amazing what a couple airbots and turrents can do to a couple want-to-be campers...

I still love this game!

Schrade

spats said:
To my knowledge US was never that big on KZ2. EU always had a bigger player base.
The problem is the US is split into multiple timezones. We GAFw players would always be on too late at night for everyone else in the US and at the same time too early for Euro players.

Does the server keep your online rank ? Cause i'm tempted to get this back, but it would suck to start again as i don't think i still have my data on the hdd.

kinoki said:
The unlocking-system that first seemed daunting now feels kind of refreshing. I'm having a hardtime letting go of my M82 rifle, we're such good friends.
The M82 never, ever gets outclassed as a general-purpose weapon. If you're a very good player, the Sta-14 kills it, but for folks like me with regular reflexes who can't use that rifle effectively in close, the M82 is king. And like all weapons in KZ2, it has a longer effective range than you think--kneeling, sighted in, with short bursts, you can pop heads from very, very far away.

kinoki said:
But I wonder if the novelty wears off when you reach General. I've been reading people wanting to go back to "vanilla" and I'm guessing it's the classless games of when you're a Private.
Most people that want "vanilla" typically just hate Assault (and sometimes Engineer). If you don't get scared of the big fast guys, though, all-classes play is fine. I'd never go back to the beginning, I prefer all the strategizing.

kinoki said:
Q. When I check the trophy list I see a ton of "Do X 5 times in Y level", these are the DLC packs right?

Q. The weekly rankings resets when? Not that I plan on being top 1% anytime soon but it'd be good to know.
1. Yes, that's the DLC.
2. Unless it's changed in the last few months, the rankings reset at midnight Sunday, Greenwich Mean Time. Before trying for the top 1% trophy, make sure you have the medal that gives you extra points for headshots; even if you don't go for them, scattered random ones can add up over a week. And you should probably play just Bodycount, not objective games; it's more boring, but you score faster (provided you can hold your own).

Top Bottom