• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Kenak said:
I've played a shit ton of matches with the Tactician present -- good ones at that. I just hate the concept of placing spawns anywhere on a map. Especially in game types where you have to capture/hold a position or blow up a certain spot. Seriously messes up the flow of the game into an unavoidable cluster fuck.

Yeah, if you look through the past history for this thread (don't actually, probably not worth it...) tacticians have always been a big complaint. But when you and your squadmate are coordinating spawns and counter-spawns and no one messes up the rhythm it is phenomenal. I admit, it's pretty unreasonable to expect the unruly masses in a pub match not to just drop a spawn facing backwards on top of the plant site.

To be honest, this is the game that made me go out and find a clan.

Facism said:
I think I'd played with a few of you guys when GAFe were still rolling strong. Decent set of chaps.

Everyone I've met from VGEVO has been stand up. I think KZ was a first fps for a couple folks so we play to win but not overly serious.

Kenak, if you're looking for some regulars you should stop by the forums and also add me on PSN if you want...although I'm mostly BC2 and MW2 now.

What's the policy on plugging other sites? Actually, just shoot me a PM I guess.

itsnervedamage said:
Yeah, if you look through the past history for this thread (don't actually, probably not worth it...) tacticians have always been a big complaint. But when you and your squadmate are coordinating spawns and counter-spawns and no one messes up the rhythm it is phenomenal. I admit, it's pretty unreasonable to expect the unruly masses in a pub match not to just drop a spawn facing backwards on top of the plant site.
Actually that's one of the upsides of the diminishing userbase. Nowadays it's mostly high ranked clan players that populate the servers, and you'll usually find at least one 'competitive' game with almost all Commander in Chiefs that know what they're doing. That's when the game is the most fun for me.

Just got this game after renting it last year and I'm having a blast with the online. The only two things that seem to be a little out of whack are the turrets (take FOREVER to bring down) and people abusing shotguns. It literally seems like 80% of players use shotguns now. Definitely wasn't like that when I played the game last year.

Online seems pretty dead, too. Only 4-5 games set up every time I go to play. I don't have the DLC, so could that be the reason I'm seeing so few matches?

Really wishing I had been into this game when it was popular and GAF still played it regularly. So much damn fun.

meppi

4-5 games only? o_O
I'm always getting around 20-40 servers no matter what time of day.
You might want to check your search settings and broaden them a bit.

meppi said:
4-5 games only? o_O
I'm always getting around 20-40 servers no matter what time of day.
You might want to check your search settings and broaden them a bit.

I have my search settings at default. Isn't that as wide as possible?

Again, I don't have the DLC, so maybe that limits me from seeing some of the servers?

Literally every time I play I'm getting 4-5 games. Not exaggerating.

meppi

I'm not quite sure as I don't remember how they are set on default, but it wouldn't surprise me that you only see servers of your own level as well as region.

The map pack isn't the problem as there are not that many of them running sadly enough.
Most I've seen at once are 3.
Too bad as I love to play on those and it usually takes a while to get in if it's one with good settings.

meppi said:
I'm not quite sure as I don't remember how they are set on default, but it wouldn't surprise me that you only see servers of your own level as well as region.

The map pack isn't the problem as there are not that many of them running sadly enough.
Most I've seen at once are 3.
Too bad as I love to play on those and it usually takes a while to get in if it's one with good settings.

Yeah I'll check my settings tomorrow and see what's up. I was going to get one of the DLC packs, but it sucks to hear people don't really play them.

meppi

Well, there's certainly a group of people who gravitate towards the DLC packs, and there always seems to be at least one running so I'd say if you love the game, go for it.

Zen

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
I have my search settings at default. Isn't that as wide as possible?

Again, I don't have the DLC, so maybe that limits me from seeing some of the servers?

Literally every time I play I'm getting 4-5 games. Not exaggerating.

I think it could be because you're fairly low level online, and the default 'search for games with my rank' is turned on. There probably aren't many games with a player average around your rank. Turn that off and you'll see there are tons of game rooms up, mostly maxing 32 player games.

You can also disable 'my region only'.

I've found that the easiest way to get pistol kills is to go play in a regular all objectives game that has the highest player count possible. It's much easier to use situational conditions to your advantage and get pistol kills when everyone else is running around somewhat predictably because of whatever objective is going on at that time.

It's also weird that Radec Academy seems popular for Pistol only matches, the narrow hallways actually make aiming a bit harder with the pistol because of how easily players can still shift from one side to another while running, and in doing so quickly throw off your aim. The angles for aiming from high ground to low ground are very awkward (extreme) as well.

I actually died the first time back playing Seljuva Cliffside... I walked out of the closest to the middle ISA spawn point and was stunned off my game by how incredible it all looked, there was some beautiful skirmishing going on in the distance and a Helghast Air Bot flew right by me only to explode, spreading debris at my feet.

Then I died because I was standing there gawking. :lol

It's good to be playing this game again. :lol

jayb

one more trophy to plat and 100% this game. unfortunately it's the Elite trophy and I'm generally not good at high difficulty settings in games. :(

Anyway, I decided to do the last level first to get it out of the way, and am on the balcony now. any tips?
lmgtfy links?

KZObsessed

I may actually have to buy it now :p

4603658649_2274c38f4d.jpg

4603658573_3b2a805e6a.jpg

They look pretty good!

Also 2.1million on leaderboards now, Greatest Hits release doing quite well!

http://killzone.com/kz/leaderboard_warzone.psml

dorkimoe

I just picked this up again and started playing multiplayer alot more than i did previously.

My only complaints are

Turret- 5 kills with this is pretty damn hard, its just so weak.
Some of the maps that only have like 1 way out of spawn are pretty stupid.
map packs..i own both and have never played 1 of the new maps...why does NOBODY play them?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dorkimoe said:
I just picked this up again and started playing multiplayer alot more than i did previously.

My only complaints are

map packs..i own both and have never played 1 of the new maps...why does NOBODY play them?

It's "FIX THIS SHIT GUERRILLA!" allover again.

dorkimoe

nah, its not bad enough for me to quit or get mad at it. Just weird that i spent $ for maps i cant even play :(. Thats my only REAL complaint. The other stuff is forgivable.

dorkimoe said:

My only complaints are

There are certain placements where putting a turret can often net you 10+ kills a match. A good engineer looks after his turrets. Don't just abandon them.

Norml

dorkimoe said:
nah, its not bad enough for me to quit or get mad at it. Just weird that i spent $ for maps i cant even play :(. Thats my only REAL complaint. The other stuff is forgivable.

Can't you still try them with bots at least?

KZObsessed

Are you trying to search for the new maps? Because that's actually a rookie mistake, actually assuming that Guerrilla Games built a working search filter, come on. :lol When searching for specific maps it'll only find servers with that ONE map in the rotation and thaat's it. And seeing as no one ever makes a server with only one map, it always turns up nothing.

There used to always be quite a few "NEW MAPS" servers up but I havn't played in a while so I guess people have stopped playing them. The DLC maps were all pretty gimmicky to be honest. No where near as good as the retail ones. Don't know why Sony doesn't give them away for free with the Greatest Hits version. Or simply release a GOTY Edition. I'd buy a second copy :p

Nizz

Popped this game in the other day and damn, it's still one of the best looking games I've ever played. The motion blur, gun models, sparks, lighting...

Kind of shocking to imagine what they'll pull off with K3.

Schrade

Joris de Man wins the Ivor Novello Award for Best Original Video Game Score! Well deserved. Fucking awesome music.

http://www.theivors.com/winners.htm
BEST CONTEMPORARY SONG

Song: Daniel
Writer/s: Natasha Khan
Performed By: Bat for Lashes
UK Publisher/s: Chrysalis Music

BEST SONG MUSICALLY AND LYRICALLY

Song: The Fear
Writer/s: Lily Allen / Greg Kurstin
Performed By: Lily Allen
UK Publisher/s: Universal Music Publishing / EMI Music Publishing

BEST TELEVISION SOUNDTRACK

Broadcast: Desperate Romantics
Composer: Daniel Pemberton
UK Publisher/s: Moncur Street Music

ALBUM AWARD

Album: Sunny Side Up
Writer/s: Paolo Nutini
Performed By: Paolo Nutini
UK Publisher/s: Warner/Chappell Music

PRS FOR MUSIC MOST PERFORMED WORK

Song: The Fear
Writer/s: Lily Allen / Greg Kurstin
Performed By: Lily Allen
UK Publisher/s: Universal Music Publishing / EMI Music Publishing

BEST ORIGINAL FILM SCORE

Film: Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Composer: John Powell
UK Publisher/s: EMI Music Publishing

BEST ORIGINAL VIDEO GAME SCORE

Game: Killzone 2
Composer/s: Joris de Man
Developer: Guerrilla Games
UK Publisher/s: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe

INTERNATIONAL ACHIEVEMENT

Imogen Heap

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT

Paul Weller

PRS FOR MUSIC OUTSTANDING
CONTRIBUTION TO BRITISH MUSIC

Trevor Horn

SONGWRITERS OF THE YEAR

Lily Allen and Greg Kurstin

SPECIAL INTERNATIONAL AWARD

Neil Sedaka

THE ACADEMY FELLOWSHIP

Sir Tim Rice

THE IVORS CLASSICAL MUSIC AWARD

Sir Peter Maxwell Davies

THE IVORS INSPIRATION AWARD

Johnny Marr

BASCA in association with PRS for Music presented the Ivor Novello Awards on Thursday 20th May 2010 at the Grosvenor House, Park Lane, London.

jayb

Finally got my LTTP Plat last night. That was the first time I've ever attempted to finish a game on the highest difficulty setting, and I'm glad I did it.

The stairs leading up to the palace doors were brutal! I kept getting killed and finally gave up and just ran like forrest gump from the bottom all the way up through the palace doors, without stopping to kill anyone. :lol I should have tried that sooner than I did.

Solal

TTP said:
It's "FIX THIS SHIT GUERRILLA!" allover again.

So many things needed to be fixed in this game ... some were very easy, some were just bad choices that they never admitted... Shame on you GG.

Cornbread78

Solal said:
So many things needed to be fixed in this game ... some were very easy, some were just bad choices that they never admitted... Shame on you GG.

Small issues, the game was much bigger and better than the minor issues. They fixed things much better then insomniac did with R2, which esentially broke matchmaking permenantly....

I'll give GG great praise for fixing the errors and they have nothing to be ashamed about with this one.......

I got every single badge and ribbon back in the day, so complaining about how hard they are seems pretty lulzy to me. Turret ribbon was easy as pie to get, even before they fixed the firing trajectory of the bullets. All you need to do is place it on TOP of something and let it fire down. It will be instant headshots. The pistol ribbon isnt bad, neither is the melee one (especially boosted melee smackdowns)

If anything, i'm not really looking forward to resistance 3 or killzone 3, i like the ones ive got just fine:(

Solal

Well...considering the cost of their title, some choices were absolute disasters.

I been playing KZ2 a LOT... (am general 3 stars iirc)...but come on: not being able to know how long a game is before joining? Not being able to play new maps only? Not being able to play solo deathmatch? No "no-respawn" mode? No costumizable gameplay ? No "hardcore" mode (like 2 bullets=death)? Clusterfuck all along (they call it "intensity" in dutch)!

All these things were desperaratly asked by players... but GG chose to not listen to them. (even the whole gameplay is really arguable...they took months to tweak it instead of just admitting they made the wrong choice)

Seriously: I expect KZ3 to have all these things otherwise I ll just stick to BC2 (which IS the real deal when you talk about intensity...)

PS: I know many gafers are gonna say : "Gameplay is great...you just suck..." Be my guests. ;-)

PS2: if KZ3 could get rid of the big red and blue spots on players' heads... that would at least allow us to play differently: like stealthy for instance...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Cornbread78 said:
Small issues, the game was much bigger and better than the minor issues. They fixed things much better then insomniac did with R2, which esentially broke matchmaking permenantly....

I'll give GG great praise for fixing the errors and they have nothing to be ashamed about with this one.......

Indeed. They also deserve a bunch of extra kudos for the best implementation of clan/clan wars/tournaments functionality in a shooter. It's so convenient to have everything you need to arrange wars within the game itself, rather than having to organize on forums or subscribe to tournament sites and stuff like that. I hope they bring it back with KZ3, obviously improved.

JardeL

Solal said:
Well...considering the cost of their title, some choices were absolute disasters.

I been playing KZ2 a LOT... (am general 3 stars iirc)...but come on: not being able to know how long a game is before joining? Not being able to play new maps only? Not being able to play solo deathmatch? No "no-respawn" mode? No costumizable gameplay ? No "hardcore" mode (like 2 bullets=death)? Clusterfuck all along (they call it "intensity" in dutch)!

Seriously: I expect KZ3 to have all these things otherwise I ll just stick to BC2 (which IS the real deal when you talk about intensity...)

PS: I know many gafers are gonna say : "Gameplay is great...you just suck..." Be my guests. ;-)

PS2: if KZ3 could get rid of the big red and blue spots on players' heads... that would at least allow us to play differently: like stealthy for instance...
If you consider 2 bullets= death as a hardcore mode , KZ2 has more than that... 2 bullets death = M4 revolver, 1 bullet death = Sniper Rifle. You can create a M4 only or SR only game.

BC2 is real deal when you talk about intensity?? :lol

Here it is; "Gameplay is great...you just suck...", and also "if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW"...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
jayb said:
one more trophy to plat and 100% this game. unfortunately it's the Elite trophy and I'm generally not good at high difficulty settings in games. :(

Anyway, I decided to do the last level first to get it out of the way, and am on the balcony now. any tips?
lmgtfy links?

Wait... don't you have to be like #1 person in the world to get some of these ridiculous mp trophies?

I assumed platinum was practically impossible.

jayb

recklessmind said:
Wait... don't you have to be like #1 person in the world to get some of these ridiculous mp trophies?

I know several people who have the platinum. The one absolutely ridiculous MP trophy is where you have to be in the top 1% in points for any given week.

I really hope they don't include that trophy again in KZ3, because there is no way I'll ever be able to put that much time into one game for a week straight again. No KZ3 plat for me if that happens.

KZObsessed

recklessmind said:

Top 1% for the week. edit: beaten

Violater said:
To celebrate we should play some gaf games tonight.

I would be the first there but I haz exams which start on Monday so no games for me for a few weeks
:(

I'm up for playing tonight pending the G.F's mood. She'll want to play as well so I might be on and off. I think BC2 made me better at KZ2, plus I switched iron sites to L1 a few months ago finally... what a difference.

Better be early 2011 if that's any indication of when it's actually releasing. I can't wait much longer. It's the only thing I'm really hoping to see at E3.

damnit, you cant show me sites like this, i cant afford it T_T

Also, the top 1% trophy isnt hard, you just have to not suck. I'm not trying to come off as arrogant by any means, you just have to remember it does it by total points, so if you play smarter, not harder, its more than reachable. I got it my first week without even trying that hard, i maybe played 4 days? Got 4 trophies at once, felt good :lol

Onion_Relish said:
damnit, you cant show me sites like this, i cant afford it T_T

Also, the top 1% trophy isnt hard, you just have to not suck. I'm not trying to come off as arrogant by any means, you just have to remember it does it by total points, so if you play smarter, not harder, its more than reachable. I got it my first week without even trying that hard, i maybe played 4 days? Got 4 trophies at once, felt good :lol

You need to grind. Some of us don't like grinding/don't have time for it.

Top Bottom