• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Zen

Banned
Acrylic7 said:
Thats pathetic.
Hey Dudebro You likes Killzone, Fast Cars and stuff. Then you obviously have a manly man beard. Shave it?

Someone's jealous of people with manly beards.

hurricanepilot

Neo Member
Facism said:
apparently you can get £35 instore credit for KZ3 at gamestation until the 21st of March. Anecdotal at the moment, i'll update on whether it's truth tomorrow when i trade it in for Yakuza 4.

I traded mine on this deal the other day. The sign that was up did indeed state the offer ends on the 21st.

You'll also earn a few pennies for trading it.

A.R.K

just read this over at the official PS forums:

KZdev said:
Q. Will spawning on squadmates and spawn grenades make their way into Killzone 3?

A. No, they will not be making it into Killzone 3. The mechanics conflicted with elements of our game, and since they led to negative gameplay experiences, we decided to remove them as they were.

I could understand spawn grenades not coming back but I was hoping for the squad spawn and squad system of KZ2 would be patched in. But it looks like they fucking decided against it too. WTF GG what is so bad about squad spawn? Seriously it won't fuck the game any more than it already is and maybe it could have made it play a bit better. FUUUUUU!! :/

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hmmm... did that Schick e-mail trick TheSeks found (Killthee posted on behalf), fully unlocked all classes
(Go to the we give away free XBL/PSN codes etc. thread by A Master Ninja)
Link for the lazy: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331243&page=61

Got 20+ codes for the 3 unlock points, way way better than slurpee.com lol

Feels Good having all classes @ full strength, I'm @ rank 30/45, no clue what those points I gain in rank will do lol

(Now Stock-Piling 50+ inFamous 2 codes for GAF lol, gonna be hilarious come June 7th)

Thrakier

OPerations is the best online shooter experience I had so far. It's an awesome mode. Everyone going for the objective, the time pressure is also helping. Tons of fun. Sad enough there are only 3 ops maps...

patsu

A.R.K said:
just read this over at the official PS forums:

I could understand spawn grenades not coming back but I was hoping for the squad spawn and squad system of KZ2 would be patched in. But it looks like they fucking decided against it too. WTF GG what is so bad about squad spawn? Seriously it won't fuck the game any more than it already is and maybe it could have made it play a bit better. FUUUUUU!! :/

Squad spawn is probably fun for getting even (e.g., Deathmatches), but may break the various game modes… like Search and Retrieve, Search and Destroy.

I think in KZ3, part of the fun is to get to the objectives unscarthed.

commish said:
Absolutely wrong.

I can't count the number of kills I've had defending my team's S&R location.

I've lost count of my much easier it is to hold a C&H location when you can hide cloaked and easily pick off anyone who is capturing.

For assassination defense, marksmen provide a great barrier between the enemy and the target. Enemies will often sprint right up to you without realizing you are there. Mow them down.

For assassination offense, snipers are probably the biggest worry people have, which is why they hide behind buildings or in rooms.

For bodycount, we all know how easy it is to get a great KDR using the marksman class.

For search and destroy offense, I prefer to go infiltrator until we get a plant, and if we have the advantage, I'll go marksman because a marksman can guard the plant zone better than anyone. I get a lot of kills doing this.

For search and destroy defense, obviously snipers make great defenders, and a sniper sitting on the bomb locations can take out most planters.

Invisibility is extremely useful when going after objectives. There are two ways to skin a cat. Simply planting the bomb isn't all that is needed to win S&D, and capturing the speaker isn't all that is needed to win S&R, etc etc.

This. Typically, I can easily deal with 2-3 people and I'm not as good as other Marksman I've seen.

A.R.K

patsu said:
Squad spawn is probably fun for getting even (e.g., Deathmatches), but may break the various game modes… like Search and Retrieve, Search and Destroy.

I think in KZ3, part of the fun is to get to the objectives unscarthed.

I disagree. Squad spawn made the battles dynamic in KZ2 and it never was a problem in KZ2. Now you just have the stupid TSP's or you got to move your ass from your base back to the objective on a huge map and getting killed just before you get there by some sniper and start all over again. With squad spawn it at least gave you other options and plan some strategy with your squad leader.

patsu

A.R.K said:
I disagree. Squad spawn made the battles dynamic in KZ2 and it never was a problem in KZ2. Now you just have the stupid TSP's or you got to move your ass from your base back to the objective on a huge map and getting killed just before you get there by some sniper and start all over again. With squad spawn it at least gave you other options and plan some strategy with your squad leader.

You can try to take back TSP, but you can't undo enemy's squad spawn.

.GqueB.

Banned
A.R.K said:
It was broken because they could be spawned on at any time. I found it annoying that I would be having a gun fight with one person but then another person could spawn behind him with full health and a full clip.

Unless they patched that sorta thing out Im not sure.

They shouldnt have taken it out though. Shouldve been a restriction where you cant spawn on someone who was engaged in battle like Borderlands or Halo Reach.

.GqueB. said:
It was broken because they could be spawned on at any time. I found it annoying that I would be having a gun fight with one person but then another person could spawn behind him with full health and a full clip.

Unless they patched that sorta thing out Im not sure.

They shouldnt have taken it out though. Shouldve been a restriction where you cant spawn on someone who was engaged in battle like Borderlands or Halo Reach.

This is just an example of bad luck, not broken design. A game design problem in KZ2 is something like the boost ability and the assault class.

.GqueB.

Banned
H_Prestige said:
This is just an example of bad luck, not broken design. A game design problem in KZ2 is something like the boost ability and the assault class.
No bad luck is spawning behind your squad leader and catching a bullet intended for him. Having another played (or two) spawn behind someone while youre fighting them is bad game design.

But as I said, it was a simple fix. It shouldnt have been taken out.

Animator

I dont hate the game but there is literally not a single person on my friendslist that is playing it two weeks after release. Its going on craigslist this weekend.

denomes

In my opinion, spawn grenades in KZ2 didn't work because they gave too much power to player over the outcome of a match, in what was (at the time of release) a mainstream shooter. I'm sure it was fine for competitive play, but it made for awful pubs.

I feel in KZ3 they have embraced their hardcore niche more fully, giving each of the classes more distinct roles and expanding upon the gameplay options available to the player at any given moment.

I'm sure some KZ2 players will disagree though. I think both games have pros and cons. Still, I'm enjoying the KZ3 multiplayer so far.

I was the first person to suggest squad spawning back in the first beta. They have been aware of the fans asking for it, and I assume in their internal testing they found a lot of issues with it so I think I'll just trust their judgement.

denomes said:
In my opinion, spawn grenades in KZ2 didn't work because they gave too much power to player over the outcome of a match, in what was (at the time of release) a mainstream shooter. I'm sure it was fine for competitive play, but it made for awful pubs.

I feel in KZ3 they have embraced their hardcore niche more fully, giving each of the classes more distinct roles and expanding upon the gameplay options available to the player at any given moment.

I'm sure some KZ2 players will disagree though. I think both games have pros and cons. Still, I'm enjoying the KZ3 multiplayer so far.

Spawn grenades didn't work because a lot of the tacticians playing the game were too stupid to throw spawns so people would be facing the right direction (not facing walls and having back facing enemies).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Animator said:
I dont hate the game but there is literally not a single person on my friendslist that is playing it two weeks after release. Its going on craigslist this weekend.

Interestingly enough, I think I have more people on my friend's list playing KZ2 than KZ3. :\ I'll come back after a patch or two, probably.

GraveRobberX said:
Hmmm... did that Schick e-mail trick TheSeks found (Killthee posted on behalf), fully unlocked all classes

Feels Good having all classes @ full strength, I'm @ rank 30/45, no clue what those points I gain in rank will do lol

(Now Stock-Piling 50+ inFamous 2 codes for GAF lol, gonna be hilarious come June 7th)

I just finish redeeming 50+ points code and figured out that it should be for the US Store only. If so, RAGE + code givaway on gaf within 2 minutes.

Brannon

Woot, thanks for the code hookup. I'm guessing Sony/Guerilla did this on purpose to get the maps into as many hands as possible? It's the only way I can see this slipping by like this.

Brannon

UnluckyKate said:
I just finish redeeming 50+ points code and figured out that it should be for the US Store only. If so, RAGE + code givaway on gaf within 2 minutes.

Could you throw a couple over to my PM? I will be eternally grateful!

X-Frame

They easily could've copied Halo Reach with the squad spawning.

If your squad leader is in combat -- you're unable to spawn.

But nah, that's too simple and obvious for GG ..

A.R.K

X-Frame said:
They easily could've copied Halo Reach with the squad spawning.

If your squad leader is in combat -- you're unable to spawn.

But nah, that's too simple and obvious for GG ..

Even Reach has squad spawn (never played it)!!??? Halo was never a team based game as I recall from my time with it (1 and 2).

wtf GG! I am so pissed that they have totally given up on this request when so many have asked them to add it back.

Facism

commish said:
Interestingly enough, I think I have more people on my friend's list playing KZ2 than KZ3. :\ I'll come back after a patch or two, probably.

Literally 2 people on my friendslist are still playing this. Everyone else has given up or already traded it in :( With how terrible the game can be, it was some fun with a full squad of FTSG, at least when the game had a playerbase and actually put us into games that had more than 3 people playing. Combination of jettisoned playerbase and terrible matchmaking make this game feel like a ghost-town. I guess people are playing TDM instead of Warzone?

I'd like to organise some KZ2 all-GAF sessions soon. Just got to find out when we can get all the Euros and Americos together for some mixed 8v8 games. Maybe in time for next weekend, hopefully. Will probably fail, but worth a try :p

Just went 35-4 in a Helghast Operations on Akmir. Also got best K/D ratio, most headshots, territory captured etc. Feels good.

I'm starting to feel sorry for those randoms just popping into Operations mode. There are some quality players out there who are fuck awesome at it. Just now there was a Medic, myself (an engineer) and a scout sticking together mowing people down. Deadly combo.

We had each others backs like bros.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'd be more inclined to popping this in once in a while, but it's so irritating to play with friends. Half the time I join a friend, I end up on the other team. Then I have to message them and wait for an invite after the match is over. Not to mention there is no way to simply join a clan member. Also, in what way is the clan names list organized? It seems to be completely random (not alphabetical, not in-game, not online...makes no sense).

JB1981

alr1ghtstart said:
I'd be more inclined to popping this in once in a while, but it's so irritating to play with friends. Half the time I join a friend, I end up on the other team. Then I have to message them and wait for an invite after the match is over. Not to mention there is no way to simply join a clan member. Also, in what way is the clan names list organized? It seems to be completely random (not alphabetical, not in-game, not online...makes no sense).
Yep half the time I played with the clan it was spent backing out of games

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I beat Killzone 2 again. At least for the SP, KZ3 a step back with a little bit better mechanics. Looking forward to playing bulletstrom!

X-Frame

Facism said:
Literally 2 people on my friendslist are still playing this. Everyone else has given up or already traded it in :( With how terrible the game can be, it was some fun with a full squad of FTSG, at least when the game had a playerbase and actually put us into games that had more than 3 people playing. Combination of jettisoned playerbase and terrible matchmaking make this game feel like a ghost-town. I guess people are playing TDM instead of Warzone?

I'd like to organise some KZ2 all-GAF sessions soon. Just got to find out when we can get all the Euros and Americos together for some mixed 8v8 games. Maybe in time for next weekend, hopefully. Will probably fail, but worth a try :p

I need to get a new PS3 in order for me to play KZ2 again.

With the 80 GB fatty I have now, this happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-aYyDdao7k

It's terrible. :(

erlim

Do you think there will be another Killzone on this generation? Not counting the NGP one. I mean on the ps tres

erlim said:
Do you think there will be another Killzone on this generation? Not counting the NGP one. I mean on the ps tres

Nope. I think GG's other IP will come first. They've said thats a PS3 project and I don't think they'll squeeze two more games out this gen. KZ4 will be a PS4 title and we'll go through the insane hype cycle again.

I hope they have learnt a few things by the time that cycle comes around.

X-Frame said:
I need to get a new PS3 in order for me to play KZ2 again.

With the 80 GB fatty I have now, this happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-aYyDdao7k

It's terrible. :(

This looks exactly like what was happening on my 60gb. It was just an internet connection problem. The wifi in my ps3 has had mediocre reception for the past several months so I would have a lot of trouble just connecting to a game. And if I did it would usually look like what you posted, followed shortly by a network error message.

I've been using a wireless adapter and everything is back to normal again.

Do you have one of the old 80gb's with ps2 BC?

erlim

Galvanise_ said:
Nope. I think GG's other IP will come first. They've said thats a PS3 project and I don't think they'll squeeze two more games out this gen. KZ4 will be a PS4 title and we'll go through the insane hype cycle again.

I hope they have learnt a few things by the time that cycle comes around.

If they can pull in some design tallent for the level design. Than HYPE. For whatever reason, the level design in KZ2 really did make me forget about the linear nature of the game, kind of like Half-Life 2 or something. It would be really nice if they just made modest improvements over that, but instead, In KZ3 I was always conscious of the game design and how thin the level design was. I guess it had to do with the development team being lessened?

X-Frame

H_Prestige said:
This looks exactly like what was happening on my 60gb. It was just an internet connection problem. The wifi in my ps3 has had mediocre reception for the past several months so I would have a lot of trouble just connecting to a game. And if I did it would usually look like what you posted, followed shortly by a network error message.

I've been using a wireless adapter and everything is back to normal again.

Do you have one of the old 80gb's with ps2 BC?

Really? You had this too? It's weird because this ONLY happens in KZ2 -- and only within the last year (not at launch).

I compared my PS3 to my brother's PS3 Slim (same TV, right next to each other) .. his gets a 100% wireless signal whereas mine hovers between 75% at the lowest to normally 85% - but it's always jumping up and down.

So the most obvious explanation -- which what you also said, is my PS3's wireless has for some reason started sucking within the past year. My 80 GB does not have BC .. not sure what gen it is. I bought it in August 2008.

Now what is this wireless adapter? You add another wireless component to your PS3 to boost the signal?

X-Frame said:
Really? You had this too? It's weird because this ONLY happens in KZ2 -- and only within the last year (not at launch).

I compared my PS3 to my brother's PS3 Slim (same TV, right next to each other) .. his gets a 100% wireless signal whereas mine hovers between 75% at the lowest to normally 85% - but it's always jumping up and down.

So the most obvious explanation -- which what you also said, is my PS3's wireless has for some reason started sucking within the past year. My 80 GB does not have BC .. not sure what gen it is. I bought it in August 2008.

Now what is this wireless adapter? You add another wireless component to your PS3 to boost the signal?

Yup, my wifi signal is only about 70% these days. I tried playing warhawk and I couldn't even log in. I also had a lot of issues logging into PSN and slow download speeds.

This is the wireless adapter I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KPBRRW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Extremely small and really easy to setup. An extra benefit is that it is wireless N which the ps3 doesn't have.

patsu

alr1ghtstart said:

They should have fixed this. It's a problem with KZ2 too. I invited 2 friends to help me because the KZ2 game was unbalanced. They ended up on the other team. >_<

We went ahead and enjoyed ourselves anyway and tried to regroup later.

patsu

Galvanise_ said:
Just went 35-4 in a Helghast Operations on Akmir. Also got best K/D ratio, most headshots, territory captured etc. Feels good.

I'm starting to feel sorry for those randoms just popping into Operations mode. There are some quality players out there who are fuck awesome at it. Just now there was a Medic, myself (an engineer) and a scout sticking together mowing people down. Deadly combo.

We had each others backs like bros.

I only tried Operations once. Is it a TDM in an expanded map ?

Not playing tonight because I have a dinner plan. Will try tomorrow.

Khronikos

Banned
LOL at the 35-4 in OPs. Try that without some random noobs. No offense but there is no way in hell you are doing that with players like me or anybody else that's decent. My KDR is 1.80 as a Tac almost exclusively and I get stuffed all the time. I know it feels good but we know that don't happen much even if your bros have your back and it don't happen period when playing against rank.

Khronikos

Banned
KZ forums downtime is 9 am GMT and then patch 1.6 rolls out 1.5 was skipped. Some people will get faster than others. KZ forums.

I'm Herman Hulst. Believe.

No, I am not.

jorma

is now taking requests
shagg_187 said:
It better be Retro Map matchmaking fix (unless it's already fixed, then disregard! If not then FIX THIS SHIT GG!)

Yeah, i'm hoping they fix the barebones clan features as well. Those are my main gripes currently.

CozMick

Banned
Fixes performance issues. with a client side patch? seriously, can that be done?

Hope they fixed the map pack bug and added a melee button to Move :p

lunlunqq

GraveRobberX said:

Can you be a little more specific? I cannot find anything about the trick in the link you gave above. A Google search using "Schick e-mail trick TheSeks" as keywords only gave me results about "e-mail sex tricks."

Thanks a lot in advance.

witness

Sent this thing back to gamefly, the campaign just got worse and worse as it went on. Some of the transitions are just awful. Hey we're outside in the snow talking and next scene we appear on a snowmobile. You just appear on a space snowmobile and go. Awful. The campaign became a slog and I have too many other, much better, multiplayer games to play right now.

Time to give this series a rest and create a new IP.

Top Bottom