• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

//B1G said:
I hope this game will draw some of the hyper-competitive players and that some kind of set of modified rules ala MLG with Halo 2 can be put in place and a lot of people play. I think with a few alterations in the settings could/will provide a kind of similar scenario to H2's awesome games.

What I'd like to do is set up a forum or site or something to sort of get the ball rolling, but I'm not sure if it'd catch on or not, and I don't want to waste my time.

Unfortunately there is no way the maps are balanced enough for high level competitive play. 2 of the 3 maps in the Alpha provided one faction a distinct advantage and the TSAs in the other map allowed for easy spawn camping if both fell into the hands of one faction. It is possible that GG has changed the maps up somewhat, but the Beta didn't give much hope of that. GG could tweak things so that warfare modes are more balanced, but I don't think there is much that could be done about Warzone without substantial changes to the maps.

nib95 said:
Just played a few hours of split screen co-op with a mate. Impressed. Minimal slow down, detail and visuals hold up very well. And they have done it with a cool system where one player uses Sev and the other player uses Natko and not Rico. Rico just comes along as a third player and all story elements involving him occur as per normal. It works really well because in single player there's a lot of moments where Rico guides you, so the way they've done it he can still do those things even in co-op.

It's hilarious seeing three tanks or three mech's on the same battlefield though. Complete and utter carnage, and somehow the frame rate holds up really well. Odd drops here and there but overall you you barely notice.
Question, does Natko show up in the story at all? Besides Co-op?

boredofcanada said:
it won't pass the scan.

I told the guy it's not out until the 22nd and he scanned it saying it released yesterday. Target either fucked up or they somehow someway got permission to have a week early release.

nib95

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:

Nope :( Co-op only thing unfortunately.

FunkyPajamas said:
Awesome, thanks for the constant info. A question: is Natko's presence acknowledged during gameplay and cutscenes, or is he silent (during gameplay) and absent (during cutscenes)? I didn't see him during the demo so that's why I'm asking. :)

Thanks again!

No problem dude. And no, he is absent throughout the entire game. His only purpose is as a co-op character.

Rikyfree

TacticalFox88 said:
Nope. He's too busy tucking your mom in. Also she's making him a nice ham sandwich before he leaves in the morning.

nib95

Banned
TTP said:
Got further into the game. Holy crap at the
Sta5X Arc Cannon. I feel bad for the higgs I'm killing with that thing. :D

How are you finding the SP campaign overall so far? What are your opinions on it with respect to some of the more negative journalist reviews? Personally, I was a bit baffled by the mass hatred on the games narrative and characters and actually thought it was all rather entertaining, albeit in very stereo typical and exaggerated fashion.

nib95 said:
No problem dude. And no, he is absent throughout the entire game. His only purpose is as a co-op character.
Thanks! Not what I wanted to hear but I was expecting it from the demo. Not a deal breaker at all, even though I liked the character in K2.

Is it crazy that I want a tactical squad-based game based in the Killzone universe (something like Rainbow Six or Republic Commando) where we play as Helghast?

mr_nothin

Banned
fuzzyreactor said:
MP changes
From the Killzone.com forums:
Yay!
They fixed a couple of things that REALLY REALLY bothered me.
Seperate sensi settings for hip-fire and ADS?!? Every single shooter should have this. That right there is a Godsend. I dont understand why more FPS games dont have this. I think this alone is going to make me buy this game day one now. This will really help me against the super high sensitivity players (im a low sensi player). Now I can run around and turn faster but then be a lot more precise when I go to ADS. I hated being stuck to slow turning speeds because I wanted lower ADS sensitivity.

I hated getting stuck on mortally wounded players, especially when they blocked a doorway.

nib95

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
Thanks! Not what I wanted to hear but I was expecting it from the demo. Not a deal breaker at all, even though I liked the character in K2.

Is it crazy that I want a tactical squad-based game based in the Killzone universe (something like Rainbow Six or Republic Commando) where we play as Helghast?

Not crazy at all. Could work very well. But personally I'm after a Killzone fps with more RPG elements. Doesn't have to be fully fledged RPG, but just more world to explore, stuff to see and do besides just shooting, and the ability to buy, sell, trade with habitants or upgrade stuff. I think it could be quite cool. Life on Helghan outside of linear fire fights really intrigues me.

im glad they are toning down the death screams. they should at least have an option to turn them off in the menu without having to turn off the announcer.

nib95 said:
Not crazy at all. Could work very well. But personally I'm after a Killzone fps with more RPG elements. Doesn't have to be fully fledged RPG, but just more world to explore, stuff to see and do besides just shooting, and the ability to buy, sell, trade with habitants or upgrade stuff. I think it could be quite cool. Life on Helghan outside of linear fire fights really intrigues me.
That sounds interesting. I would address the RPG elements as tech/weapon research gained by completing secondary objectives (something similar to syndicate or x-com, I believe). I.e. if you complete all the secondary/intel objectives during a mission, you get new weapons and/or tech to play with. You can do implants to your team members based on the new tech gained and/or upgrade your weapons with enemy tech.

Anyway, sorry for the derail!

mr_nothin

Banned
nib95 said:
Yea, I wish the KZ games were more setup like Metro 2033. Still have all the action and set pieces but add all that other stuff that adds tons of value to the game.

Upgrading and buying weapons from low-level Helghan savages would be pretty interesting. As you go through the game, you go from your ISA arsenal that you came to the planet with...to more of the alien-esque Helghan weapons in order to stand a chance.

nib95

Banned
Both the above ideas sound cool and are the kind of thing I hope GG explore later on, though I like the sound of mr_nothin's idea more. The way I had it figured was going through the street's of Helghan and talking to deprived (and later wealthy) habitants who could cook up home made engineering that you could buy or attach to your weapons/armour, and the further you got the more advanced it could be based on money and contacts.

mr_nothin

Banned
nib95 said:
Both the above ideas sound cool and are the kind of thing I hope GG explore later on, though I like the sound of mr_nothin's idea more. The way I had it figured was going through the street's of Helghan and talking to deprived (and later wealthy) habitants who could cook up home made engineering that you could buy or attach to your weapons/armour, and the further you got the more advanced it could be based on money and contacts.
Yes, this exactly. I'm so tired of the bare-bone experience in today's console shooters. Gimme more MEAT.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Completed on Trooper.

Great throughout but the amazing comes past midmark and lasts until the...
Underwhelming ending section (and the ending in general)
Great variety but some unnecessary on-rail sections (almost too many and just a few are quality stuff)
Painful jet pack Move controls. Won't touch those things online until proper camera acceleration is patched in.
Quite thought despite the selected difficulty. I'm scared to play on Elite
Too frequent cutscenes (rushed audio job in those - too muted environmental noise and general lack of polish)
I actually liked the story and reconsidered my feelings towards Rico.

kuYuri

I'm trying to play the demo with Move controls, is there a reason why the button configuration doesn't apply when I get back into the game from Options menu?

I change it to Alternate and Hold Crouch. On DS3, it works fine. But as soon as a Move controller is connected, the configuration refuses to apply. Am I doing something wrong? Also, how does grenade throw work on a Move configuration?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Strider2K99 said:
I'm trying to play the demo with Move controls, is there a reason why the button configuration doesn't apply when I get back into the game from Options menu?

I change it to Alternate and Hold Crouch. On DS3, it works fine. But as soon as a Move controller is connected, the configuration refuses to apply. Am I doing something wrong? Also, how does grenade throw work on a Move configuration?

no, it's broken. The game assumes you are using a nav if you have a move connected.

kuYuri

alr1ghtstart said:
no, it's broken. The game assumes you are using a nav if you have a move connected.

I had a feeling that was the case.

WTF, fix this shit GG!
Am I doing it right? ;)

nib95

Banned
TTP said:
Completed on Trooper.

Great variety but some unnecessary on-rail sections (almost too many and just a few are quality stuff)
Painful jet pack Move controls. Won't touch those things online until proper camera acceleration is patched in.
Too frequent cutscenes (rushed audio job in those - too muted environmental noise and general lack of polish)

Pretty much exactly mimic my own opinions, minus the MOVE stuff since I used only the DS3.

-PXG-

I played the campaign with a buddy. His copy, not mine. All I will say is that I liked it a lot more than Killzone 2. Much more variety in each level. There are some crazy visuals in the last couple of levels. I don't how GG managed to do what they did.

And just like TTP said, Rico is less annoying and is somewhat redeemed. Not going to say any more, since I don't want to spoil anything for your guys.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My mom at the tender age of 56 is love with KZ3 in 3D

She goes hey wheres that 3D game with that water, play again

I think she might sit through the whole f'n campaign in SP in 3D

Crazy I know, but we got a new disciple in the KillZone DAT Graphics! *bites lip* and DAT 3D *bites lip again* clan, now to try to make my brother get off the COD crack, that mothafucka' needs an intervention, maybe KZ3 might will be his rehab and salvation. Praise be to Visari, he shall not be forgotten or in vain, HELGAN!

Facism

looks like corinth doesn't have any extra spawns from the closed beta. I guess GG thought the spawn camping from halfway across the map was acceptable and competitive?

[edit]that said, Spot and Mark is functioning exactly like it does in the closed beta.

Either this is a really old video or the retail version is a less previous one than the open beta we've all been playing, hence day 1 patch.

jorma

is now taking requests
has it been confirmed that there are more upgrade slots avilable in retail compared to the betas?

TTP said:
Completed on Trooper.

How would you grade the singleplayer experience? Is it better than KZ2?

CozMick

Banned
Was it Full Recovery who received his Sharp Shooter early?

I wonder if it's possible to be competitve with it online, surely it's the same as just using a Move and Nav combo.

I'm so damn tempted.

spats

CozMick said:
Was it Full Recovery who received his Sharp Shooter early?

I wonder if it's possible to be competitve with it online, surely it's the same as just using a Move and Nav combo.

I'm so damn tempted.

Shagg got one yesterday.

Does anyone know if you have to preorder at Best Buy to get the Fast Starter and Retro Pack Codes, or can I just go in day of release and still get them? I've never really bought games there for there bonuses, but the Fast Starter pack is much better than the other two offers.

Didn't get to try out the recent MP beta, so the SP demo is the first time I managed to get some hands-on with the Move/Nav controls. Wouldn't it be better to have the cross-hair locked to the center, instead of this bounding box implementation? Or am I missing something here?

Shurs

TTP said:
Hey guys, I just got the retail code from Sony. I was looking for TURBINE CONCOURSE SE-6 in botzone but it's not in there. Is this normal? Is this map supposed to be some sort of DLC perhaps?

Yes, it's normal.

My review copy (non-retail) does not have Turbine Concourse available in Botzone. It is selectable in multiplayer as a "preferred map" but I can't multiplayer isn't sorted out yet.

Still waiting for those servers to go up so I can get on with the competitive multiplayer part of my review. As it was a day or two ago, it just hangs when trying to connect with a game.

Bread

Banned
CerebralTiger said:
Didn't get to try out the recent MP beta, so the SP demo is the first time I managed to get some hands-on with the Move/Nav controls. Wouldn't it be better to have the cross-hair locked to the center, instead of this bounding box implementation? Or am I missing something here?
I can't imagine it controlling well with the cross hair locked, I love the free cross hair.

cjtiger300 said:
I would love some impressions ASAP Please!!!!!!! I need to know if it is worth shelling out $40! Also, I had some issues with the Move standalone, so I would love to know if this makes it easier. Thanks bro!!!!

Me too... I NEVER buy acessories and am wondering if this one is worth it.

Top Bottom