• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

TTP said:
Completed on Trooper.

Great throughout but the amazing comes past midmark and lasts until the...
Underwhelming ending section (and the ending in general)
Great variety but some unnecessary on-rail sections (almost too many and just a few are quality stuff)
Painful jet pack Move controls. Won't touch those things online until proper camera acceleration is patched in.
Quite thought despite the selected difficulty. I'm scared to play on Elite
Too frequent cutscenes (rushed audio job in those - too muted environmental noise and general lack of polish)
I actually liked the story and reconsidered my feelings towards Rico.

Hmm. So I take it what I hoped happened at the end didn't happen. Fuck.

Oh, and I'll forever hate Rico. I actually am angry at GG for even trying to redeem him.

DoomGyver

cjtiger300 said:
Does anyone know if you have to preorder at Best Buy to get the Fast Starter and Retro Pack Codes, or can I just go in day of release and still get them? I've never really bought games there for there bonuses, but the Fast Starter pack is much better than the other two offers.
I'm pretty confident that you have to pre-order. If you go online and pre-order for instore pickup they'll email you the code a few hours after you've picked up your game. I guess it just depends if they get vouchers along with the games or not.

TheExecutive said:
Me too... I NEVER buy acessories and am wondering if this one is worth it.
I think TTP already reviewed it favorably (don't take my word for it though). It looks good, seems comfortable and I have a feeling Sony is going to make sure first party shooter games support it (seeing how K3 and Socom are confirmed).

If you have the money and are into shooters (and Move, of course), I'd say go for it. Keep in mind that next generation can't be too far away though, so at most you'd be getting two years out of it if you're an early adopter and move isn't forward compatible - which I doubt very much.

DoomGyver

No I haven't picked up a sharpshooter yet but from the impressions I've read on the sharpshooter it basically makes it easier to point for sniping and such movements but more difficult to turn because now the move is further away from your body so it requires more movement. More comfortable to use standing up than sitting down, and people seem to like the trigger and button placements.

Irish

cjtiger300 said:
Does anyone know if you have to preorder at Best Buy to get the Fast Starter and Retro Pack Codes, or can I just go in day of release and still get them? I've never really bought games there for there bonuses, but the Fast Starter pack is much better than the other two offers.

Generally, I've noticed that they pack in their preorder bonuses in with the game itself. I'm not going to make any guarantees though. (I usually buy games on release date at BB.)

Irish said:
Generally, I've noticed that they pack in their preorder bonuses in with the game itself. I'm not going to make any guarantees though. (I usually buy games on release date at BB.)
That's how it was for Reach for me. I don't know how Sony does it though.

nib95

Banned
lowrider007 said:
So how long is the SP campaign then, people on my home forum for throwing this link around http://ps3.nowgamer.com/news/5130/killzone-3-campaign-45-hours-long-proof saying that it's only 4.5 hours long but I find that hard to beleive?

Anyone got any proof it's longer so I can set them straight please.

From another forum.

nib95 said:
Also, I think the campaign length, whilst perhaps a tad short, is still more than most of the fps I've played in recent times. Longer than Blops, MoH, about the same as Reach and Killzone 2 tbh. What people don't realise is that the only figure recorded is the very fastest time you've completed the said level. It doesn't include deaths or retries. The game re-sets the counter every time you do. So you're only getting the optimum time.

I.e

You've reached checkpoint B in 10mins
You spend 8mins trying to get to checkpoint C but die before you do.
Game restarts you at checkpoint B and is still logged at only 10 mins, despite the fact that you've actually spent 18mins playing the level.

For most people I'd imagine the game will take 7-10 hours to complete, depending on how much they admire the set pieces and how often they die. Took me about 9+ hours, but I like to take everything in.

Repgnar

Game2Death said:
That's how it was for Reach for me. I don't know how Sony does it though.

For Gamestop you had to pre-order to get the bonus with Reach. The Recon helmet was for just purchasing Reach on launch day, kind of an incentive to get the game before they shipped out copies without the code. The Multi-threat armor was the actual pre-order thing and you had to preorder it because it was printed on the receipt.

I've heard the Target thing about being on the shelves a few times now, might swing by there today.

cjtiger300 said:
I would love some impressions ASAP Please!!!!!!! I need to know if it is worth shelling out $40! Also, I had some issues with the Move standalone, so I would love to know if this makes it easier. Thanks bro!!!!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25982814&postcount=685 :)

Long story short, first impression is bleak and requires getting used to. Will try to finish the demo a couple of times with it to let you know my final impressions. Overall, sharpshooter is very solid but as of now I'm having a bit of a hard time.

Also, there is a slot on top of sharpshooter (like a zoom or laser sight scope) which is for extra added peripherals if any is released in future.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Corto said:
Try the demo.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25899318&postcount=780
Dash Kappei said:
I had no intention of buying the game before <€20 but after seeing the game includes split-screen co-op I couldn't resist, props to GG for that, there are fewer and fewer titles offering split screen awesomeness this gen.
I got the Limited with green DS3 preordered for €68 from Zavvi, not bad I guess :)

I'm curious to know how the Move fares since 99% of the opinions till now came either from Sony zealots who'd praise anything coming from the corporation (including shit like The Fight) or people bashing it but also always hated (and have zero experiences with) Wii pointer controls anyway.
I'd love to read a well written pros/cons from someone who's proficient with Goldeneye, COD:Blobs, RS2 on Wii.
Otherwise we are bound to the same joke as with impressions on Re5 Gold with Move, which despite being awful and 3 steps backward from Re4 Wii controls, was being lauded as being as good as Re4 Wii's controls... Wasted my money on that one.
Don't have Move+nav here, so I can't.
Hopefully someone who wasn't a Wii hater before Move got out, will give his honest impressions.

Thrakier

shagg_187 said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25982814&postcount=685 :)

Long story short, first impression is bleak and requires getting used to. Will try to finih the demo a couple of times with it to let you know my final impressions. Overall, sharpshooter is very solid but as of now I'm having a bit of a hard time.

Also, there is a slot on top of sharpshooter (like a zoom or laser sight scope) which is for extra added peripherals if any is released in future.

Yeah, that's what I expected. There is no ratonal reason why using the SS should make it easier or more comfortable.

amar212

Galvanise_ said:
Hmm. So I take it what I hoped happened at the end didn't happen. Fuck.

Let me put this like this: you don't know what happened at the end when it ends.

And campaign end is logical, because original Killzone ending-gameplay would not be logical from perspective of the actual story.

If you know what I mean. You don't because you didn't play the game, but ending gameplay couldn't actually be different really.

Killzone 3 is like Killzone 2: The Reckoning. In fact, you should look at it az Killzone 2: The Next Chapter.

Or something like that story-wise.

Bread

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Don't have Move+nav here, so I can't.
Hopefully someone who wasn't a Wii hater before Move got out, will give his honest impressions.
The only Wii shooter I've played is The Conduit, so I'm not sure how good that is but KZ3 with Move is on another level. I also made the mistake of buying RE5 Gold when Move launched, and this is far from that POS. It really shines when there are 2+ enemies on your screen, and you can just go from one to the next in no time and they're all dead before they even aim at you. The only downside (so far) is turning, it's something that I'm going to get the hang of soon though. In the MP beta I came in first place on my team at least 75% of the games I played because every gun fight I'd get into I would win. Most of my deaths were from being shot from behind.

I finally got around to pre-ordering it off Amazon last night.

Heres the thing tho...this is the first game Ive ever pre-ordered off of Amazon and its saying will arrive between Mar. 1st-4th...Damn thats kinda waaaaaayyy after release isnt it? Kinda think i just should have gone to Gamestop now =C

Decado

Demo was pretty decent.

Really disappointed that they haven't implemented model or skin damage. For a title that is (seemingly) doing its best to be "gritty" and violent, that's pretty stunning oversight. Can't quite decide if it is a deal breaker, though, since it isn't as though many other FPS do it (the concept of making a shooter where you shoot things and they look like they've been shot seems a little to complicated for devs these days).

Decado

Question: How is the co-op? I've heard there are frame-rate problems. Are they really noticeable? Also, how does the screen split? Nothing is more irritating that 4:3 ratio split screen on a HDTV :\

scoobs

Pkm said:
I finally got around to pre-ordering it off Amazon last night.

Heres the thing tho...this is the first game Ive ever pre-ordered off of Amazon and its saying will arrive between Mar. 1st-4th...Damn thats kinda waaaaaayyy after release isnt it? Kinda think i just should have gone to Gamestop now =C
Change ur order to release-date delivery. I did the same thing

I decided to cancel my Helghast Edition pre-order. I want it so bad but fuck paying over $99 for CE crap is just too much for me. Just going to stick with the standard and spend that $70 on Taco Bell.

DoomGyver

Square Triangle said:
I decided to cancel my Helghast Edition pre-order. I want it so bad but fuck paying over $99 for CE crap is just too much for me. Just going to stick with the standard and spend that $70 on Taco Bell.
Dude that's a lot of taco bell.

scoobs said:
Change ur order to release-date delivery. I did the same thing

Sweet! Never really used Amazon for much, just started cause I had to find my wife an odd item for V-day.
Took only a few seconds to update the delivery, game will be here on release woot!

Torgo

kamspy said:
Is that split screen campaign or split screen botzone?

Campaign only as far as I can see. Also, Split-Screen uses a separate save file than a single-player save file.

Torgo

beast786 said:
Thanks.

Would you recommend playing first 2D or 3D?

Hmm, I did both. I started with 3D and got all the way through with it. It's cool using the Move controls in 3D though.

You may have to play with your TV settings a bit with 3D too. I had to turn "Auto" off on my TV, and I set the depth to 80%. The only time I had any weirdness was in cutscenes though.

edgefusion

Are there any better pictures of the Helghast edition than the ones posted by PS.Blog? I'm thinking of getting it but no way if I can't at least see a decent picture of what's in the box first.

Cornbread78

just wanted to say awesome awesome thread...

just can't wait to dump another 400 hours into this game. Sucks the tournies are gone though!

beast786

Torgo said:
Hmm, I did both. I started with 3D and got all the way through with it. It's cool using the Move controls in 3D though.

You may have to play with your TV settings a bit with 3D too. I had to turn "Auto" off on my TV, and I set the depth to 80%. The only time I had any weirdness was in cutscenes though.

Thanks again. Will do.

nib95

Banned
Torgo said:
PS Nation review - Spoiler-free. Also, I played-through twice, once playing with a DS3, and once only using the Move controller.

http://www.psnation.org/2011/02/16/review-killzone-3-ps3/

Great review. Love it. But can I make a suggestion non write up orientated? Please could you use less compression with your images. Compared to some other sites and forum captures, they are a lot less crisp. If you could re-host images at higher detail that would be grand.

Either way, some nice shots.

kz3-1-9-1.jpg

kz3-1-4.jpg

kz3-1-6.jpg

kz3-1-9-3.jpg

kz3-6-1-1.jpg

kamspy

Torgo said:
Campaign only as far as I can see. Also, Split-Screen uses a separate save file than a single-player save file.

Is it good split screen or RE5 / Lost Planet 2 janky split screen?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, those shots are great. The visuals stand up against the very best looking games on the PC falling short only in terms of image quality.

BeeDog

dark10x said:
Man, those shots are great. The visuals stand up against the very best looking games on the PC falling short only in terms of image quality.

And to think these shots are strangely blurry too. :p Something's off with these captures, the crispness is missing.

domlolz

Banned
my only experience with the killzone franchise has been the demos of 2 and 3 and the multiplayer beta, and three seems decent but why are we meant to care for the human main characters (who seem the typical military shit) and hate the helghans? I just read the synopsis and background details of the first two games which would make it seem that I should be sympathising with the helghans. They were invaded because others disliked their financial policies and forced to live on the barren planet and slowly mutate.

I know it's just a game but I hate playing through campaigns where I disagree with the 'good guys' and subsequently couldn't give a shit about the plot from then on, like BLOPS. As I said, I haven't played a killzone game apart from demos, I enjoyed the beta but I'm wondering if the campaign is as shallow as most first person shooters or does it try some new things? and feel free to correct me on the plot details cuz I've only just read them so I'm probably missing something

lol@thispoost

Rikyfree

domlolz said:
my only experience with the killzone franchise has been the demos of 2 and 3 and the multiplayer beta, and three seems decent but why are we meant to care for the human main characters (who seem the typical military shit) and hate the helghans? I just read the synopsis and background details of the first two games which would make it seem that I should be sympathising with the helghans. They were invaded because others disliked their financial policies and forced to live on the barren planet and slowly mutate.

I know it's just a game but I hate playing through campaigns where I disagree with the 'good guys' and subsequently couldn't give a shit about the plot from then on, like BLOPS. As I said, I haven't played a killzone game apart from demos, I enjoyed the beta but I'm wondering if the campaign is as shallow as most first person shooters or does it try some new things? and feel free to correct me on the plot details cuz I've only just read them so I'm probably missing something

lol@thispoost
Did you read the backstory on Killzone.com? You will see why they are evil if you read that. Sure they've been shit on a bit. But they are calling for complete genocide of everyone who isn't a Helghast. Keep in mind that the end result of their plan is to completely kill off Earth and Vekta. All we did to them was allow them to move. They weren't really exiled. They chose that fate. But killing off two whole planets sounds evil to me.

domlolz

Banned
Rikyfree said:
Did you read the backstory on Killzone.com? You will see why they are evil if you read that. Sure they've been shit on a bit. But they are calling for complete genocide of everyone who isn't a Helghast. Keep in mind that the end result of their plan is to completely kill off Earth and Vekta. All we did to them was allow them to move. They weren't really exiled. They chose that fate. But killing off two whole planets sounds evil to me.

no I haven't but I will do now :)

kamspy

BeeDog said:
And to think these shots are strangely blurry too. :p Something's off with these captures, the crispness is missing.

The downside of MLAA.

So does anyone know what format the split screen is in?

Truant

For a game that's a generation ahead in terms of visuals, the way the camera pans over the environment to show you what's going on or what you need to do is painfully dated. It looks like it was done as a last-minute thing. Terrible.

spats

kamspy said:
The downside of MLAA.

My understanding was that QAA made stuff look blurry. God Of War 3 used MLAA and looked very crisp.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Bread said:
The only Wii shooter I've played is The Conduit, so I'm not sure how good that is but KZ3 with Move is on another level. I also made the mistake of buying RE5 Gold when Move launched, and this is far from that POS. It really shines when there are 2+ enemies on your screen, and you can just go from one to the next in no time and they're all dead before they even aim at you. The only downside (so far) is turning, it's something that I'm going to get the hang of soon though. In the MP beta I came in first place on my team at least 75% of the games I played because every gun fight I'd get into I would win. Most of my deaths were from being shot from behind.
Conduit was more than decent for its time, obviously it got completely surpassed now by stuff like Cod:Blops, RS2 and Goldeneye. Nice to hear your impressions, the turning speed is the thing that always needs more time to get used to and to find what's the right bounding box for yoy and how big the turning speed's acceleration edges should be.
Hopefully GG will issue a patch for MOVE controls in split-screen as well. :-/

Edit:
Wait a second, I hope those split-screen shots are just stretched?
I mean, how come they're in 1:1?! That'd make no sense whatsoever, you could just have the screen chopped in half vertically instead of black bars top and bottom if SC's visible areas are close to 1:1. Again, probably just a problem with the captures... Hopefully. I very much prefer black bars and to keep the full visible area a la Modern Warfare 2. Otherwise give me the Halo way, everything but not that

kamspy

alr1ghtstart said:
splitscreen caps

Nice. I just tried to play Lost Planet 2 with my brother and it was like taping 2 PSPs on my TV and trying to play from the couch. That looks a little better. Wish there was an option to say fuck the aspect ratio and gun models and just play with a regular split though.

nib95

Banned
kamspy said:
The downside of MLAA.

The MLAA in KZ3 is anything BUT blurry. Imo it is too sharp. Well, not too sharp, but enough that I had to turn my sharpness all the way to it's lowest point. The main downside to MLAA is with shimmering on certain objects.

CozMick

Banned
Honestly, where are people getting there info about MLAA?

Killzone 3, God of War 3 and LittleBigPlanet 2 look downright godly on my tv, not blurry in the slightest.

Top Bottom