• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Review Thread [Update: Reviews In OP]

Forsete

Impressive scores so far. Graphics look delicious like always, too bad only two devs can deliver graphics like these.. GG and ND. :/

Glad they prioritized split screen co-op over LAN/MP only co-op. Split screen is much more fun.

This could very well become my favorite console fps due to this, current champion is Resistance 1 with its brilliant co-op campaign.

Bring it on!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
H_Prestige said:
The snow levels could have been ripped straight out of modern warfare and bc2.
There's a lot more in this game than snow, but I disagree that these snow levels look anything like Modern Warfare.

You really think this looks like Modern Warfare?

996959_20100706_640screen009.jpg
996959_20110202_640screen025.jpg

996959_20110202_640screen010.jpg
996959_20110202_640screen002.jpg

996959_20110202_640screen007.jpg
996959_20110202_640screen015.jpg

951944_20091111_640screen001.jpg

951944_20090619_790screen014.jpg

After playing the BETA I'll probably pick this up only once its cheap.

It's not bad but... they seem to have turned it more into a twitch shooter, and I have little patience for those types of games nowadays.

NullPointer said:
Guerrilla needs to patch in online co-op.
I can't imagine something that involved can be patched in but here's hoping! I'm really bummed that it's missing. It's almost always my favorite feature in these sorts of games.

Forsete said:
Impressive scores so far. Graphics look delicious like always, too bad only two devs can deliver graphics like these.. GG and ND. :/

Glad they prioritized split screen co-op over LAN/MP only co-op. Split screen is much more fun.

This could very well become my favorite console fps due to this, current champion is Resistance 1 with its brilliant co-op campaign.

Bring it on!

Santa Monica just slapped you in the face!

Union Carbine said:
I can't imagine something that involved can be patched in but here's hoping! I'm really bummed that it's missing. It's almost always my favorite feature in these sorts of games.
Anything can be patched. They can turn KZ2 into KZ3 by patching it if they wanted. Several gigs of downloads but it's possible lol. Problem is they most likely just won't bother.

sajj316

JaxJag said:
Me too, I thought Killzone 2's campaign was borderline terrible TBH. Story, characters, and linear level design was just bad.

But I loved the multiplayer and will be buying 3 for the multiplayer.

If COD can get away with it, why can't Killzone? Most will buy the game for multi-player as an alternative to Black Ops on the PS3 (a total crapshow). The campaign for KZ2 was forgettable but I still enjoyed it. I remember the set pieces, boss battles, and graphics. I don't expect an "Uncharted" storyline. I just want to pop heads ..

Metalmurphy said:
Anything can be patched. They can turn KZ2 into KZ3 by patching it if they wanted. Several gigs of downloads but it's possible lol. Problem is they most likely just won't bother.
They did it for the PSP game, and since that time I've always had a certain measure of warm fuzzies towards guerrilla.

But offline co-op only? in 2011? In the shooter space? I just don't understand.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
There's a lot more in this game than snow, but I disagree that these snow levels look anything like Modern Warfare.

You really think this looks like Modern Warfare?
I was just looking over the pictures you posted, thinking why the last two look like garbage, then I read your post :-D Seriously, it's like those pictures are not even from the same hardware.

dream

JaxJag said:
How can people call reviews "BS" when they haven't played the Killzone 3 campaign for themselves?

That just amazes me.

Were you around during the KZ2 launch when everyone photoshopped glowing eyes on their avatars?

NullPointer said:
But splitscreen? in 2011? In the shooter space? I just don't understand.

Fixed. Splitscreen is so 1995

dream said:
Were you around during the KZ2 launch when everyone photoshopped glowing eyes on their avatars?
You mean just like the Snakes mustache? Or masterchief? Or Niko walking? Or... you get the picture.

careful

These review sites really need to have seperate reviews for SP and MP.
Do the MP review a few weeks after the game is released. Otherwise, all these big MP games come out with glowing impressions of MP. Useless.

dream

Well, if we go by reviews (which I'm guessing we're not given the tepid reviews KZ3 is getting), they're both better than any game in the Killzone franchise...

Metalmurphy said:
After playing the BETA I'll probably pick this up only once its cheap.

It's not bad but... they seem to have turned it more into a twitch shooter, and I have little patience for those types of games nowadays.

It's funny that you say that because twitch shooters require less patience. KILL KILL KILL!

I'm on the fence about this one. Since the multiplayer is supposedly very good, I'd like to own it rather than rent.

careful said:
These review sites really need to have seperate reviews for SP and MP.
Do the MP review a few weeks after the game is released. Otherwise, all these big MP games come out with glowing impressions of MP. Useless.

That or just wait a couple of weeks and put out an impression article (that are always positive so the pubs wont bitch) on release day.

dream said:
Well, if we go by reviews (which I'm guessing we're not given the tepid reviews KZ3 is getting), they're both better than any game in the Killzone franchise...
Ah yes, those 3%-6% differences in the reviews make KZ2 such a terrible terrible game. 3% is enough to justify your outrage over the avatars from KZ2, as opposed to the other games.

Did anyone post this? Not a review, but a blog post by one of the Videogamer.com guys about the situation with the UK Review Setup. He put it up a few days ago and pulled it because of the Embargo: http://megaderived.co.uk/?p=191

Sony should be ashamed of the Killzone 3 review event.
Today, the European arm of Sony invited all the UK journalists down to an area in London to review the multiplayer component of Killzone 3. This is fairly standard practice for bigger games (in the interests of open discourse, I attended similar events for Call of Duty: Black Ops and Halo: Reach last year) and our reviewer was all primed and ready to spend the best part of 9 hours bashing away at the game.

Until it was made apparent that, actually, he would actually have just under thirty minutes to play the game. Just in case that’s not clear: Sony expect UK games journalists to review the entire multiplayer component of Killzone 3 with less than thirty minutes of play.

It actually gets worse, if you can believe it. When questioned about playing more (you know, for review), a Sony representative told everyone that they could access the open beta, which launches in the UK tomorrow.

The whole situation is ridiculous.

Compare it to the review event Activision ran for Call of Duty: Black Ops. It was a 2 day event, with journalists staying overnight in a hotel. We were set-up with 360′s and copies of the game in our rooms – for the single-player campaign – and downstairs there was a large multiplayer area that you could drop in and out of for the duration of the event. There was never a moment where there wasn’t at least two games going on, either.

We were also given USB sticks with individual profiles on, so we could accrue XP and spend CoD Points like you would in the real game – a nice touch, and one that I’ve never seen elsewhere. I felt that Activision’s Black Ops event gave me everything I needed to get the time I needed with the game, although I did only get about two hours of sleep that night.

I’m not really here to discuss review events, however. Other places have gone into great detail about these before.

What I’m trying to say is that Sony’s Killzone 3 multiplayer review event is a shambles. We’ve had debug code in our office, so thankfully we’ve given the single-player a thorough bashing, but we’re not going to be able to approach the multiplayer side of the game at all if we want to get a review up for when the embargo lifts.

Which we do, obviously. But we’re going to have to just review the game as a single-player game and leave the multiplayer until we can actually get some proper time with it – which probably won’t be until the game launches.

It completely boggles the mind. Multiplayer is considered by many to be Killzone 2′s saving grace (I was never fond of the campaign) and I honestly can’t think of a sensible reason why Sony wouldn’t want the UK gaming press to be able to play it before writing their reviews.

I honestly find the whole thing insulting, to be honest. There’s a large contingent of the internet who don’t trust games journalists to begin with, and actions like this only go to muddy the water and make life more difficult for everybody.

Bit bad, really.

Forsete said:
..and still the preferred method of playing multiplayer games on consoles. :D
IMO

Damn straight! Nothing beats personally talking shit in someones face that is sitting right next to you.

APZonerunner said:
Did anyone post this? Not a review, but a blog post by one of the Videogamer.com guys about the situation with the UK Review Setup. He put it up a few days ago and pulled it because of the Embargo: http://megaderived.co.uk/?p=191

Bit bad, really.

Wow that's horrible. I really hope the US reviewers had more time than that...

Forsete said:
..and still the preferred method of playing multiplayer games on consoles. :D
IMO
In a perfect world, maybe, but since most of my friends live in different cities, I can't take advantage of split-screen co-op much.

Hell, even with friends in town, schedules just don't permit much face-to-face gaming anymore.

Shurs

DancingJesus said:
Wow that's horrible. I really hope the US reviewers had more time than that...
Sony had multiplayer sessions available for reviewers (in the US) that lasted multiple hours over the course of multiple days.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
H_Prestige said:
MGS4 and GTA4 were good games?
If those are bad games, then jesus, I must love some bad games.

Disappointing games? Definitely. Bad games, though? I just don't see it.

nib95

Banned
So judging from the reviews, the main complaint is the story and characters? Really? I'm also trying to figure out how some of the better reviewed linear games do on rails segments differently. Whether going down some snowy hill on a sled shooting other people up or in a turret of a tank blowing up other vehicles, aren't they all roughly the same? Well, can't wait to play KZ3 myself, so far the reviews are quite polarizing.

nib95 said:
So judging from the reviews, the main complaint is the story and characters?

MW2's Oscar level story and characters are a tough act to follow so I don't think that anyone should hold it against KZ3; not every game can have writing like MW2 and GTA4.

i haven't played MGS4, but i really enjoyed GTA4 and KZ2. i don't have a PS3 right now, but i do want to pick up KZ3. i didn't finish KZ2 but it's not a knock on the game.n some of the stuff it got right it got so right.

the feeling of being the person behind the gun... yeah, i think KZ2 pulled that off brilliantly. sound design was great as well... i haven't played BC2 so i don't know why that's so awesome, but KZ2 had an amazing sense of 'being there' and i can only imagine what that would be like in 3D.

hope to get to play. review events can be bullshit... no questions about that, but lets not forget that this kind of shit can be done for a good game, or a bad game, or a great game.

i'll judge the game on the game myself... i just won't read too much into mp impressions. fortunately i'm not excited about the mp.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Do IGN people normally put that much weight into the quality of the story in shooter games? I'm asking because what I read in their review doesn't seem to reflect their final score at all. It's literally like they can't stop showering the game with superlatives in the text for every category other than story (criticism to which they keep coming back to several times), then they give it a score that doesn't exactly instill confidence, by their scoring standards anyway.

Something like Joystick's review makes sense where the author's disappointment is clear, and the text and the score go hand in hand. IGN's review makes no sense this way.

PalaceBrother said:
You're disappointed in the game? Or you're disappointed in someone else's opinion of the game?

If it's the latter, then you're weird. An opinion isn't something to be disappointed about.

this.

People should play the game themselves first then form an opinion.

Razgreez

AmericanNinja said:
this.

People should play the game themselves first then form an opinion.

That's akin to asking people to think logically before they type/speak - gaf would see a colossal reduction in posts per day haha

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's getting about what I expected. I still don't understand why Sony allows these to be published 2+ weeks before the game is even out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Reviews seem fine to me, whatever. I don't really care about the story, I skipped all the cutscenes in KZ2 anyways.

It's all about the mulitplayer for me, so I'll probably spend some time in the beta to determine how I feel about the changes. Normally this would be a day one purchase but my PC will be ready to go just like a week before this comes out and I'll have a ton of games to play and I wouldn't have time for Killzone. Oh well.

PalaceBrother said:
You're disappointed in the game? Or you're disappointed in someone else's opinion of the game?

If it's the latter, then you're weird. An opinion isn't something to be disappointed about.

Wah? I'm disappointed in the game since it has a poor storyline. Joystiq is obviously a source I trust so it's a bit disheartening. I don't know what's hard to understand about that.

Woffls

APZonerunner said:
Yeh this issue has been somewhat overlooked, even in the UK where apparently everyone else is okay with reviewing MP based on 30 minutes of play time. It's bad enough that Sony think this is excusable, but it seems most of the press think it's acceptable practice.

tass0

Banned
H_Prestige said:
MGS4 and GTA4 were good games?

Well, MGS4 has a 94/100 metascore, won GOTY 2008 on GAF by a longshot, and sold 5 million copies.

But hey, that's because MGS4 was a bad game, right?

Top Bottom