• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Review Thread [Update: Reviews In OP]

NullPointer said:
Guerrilla needs to patch in online co-op.
No doubt. My gaming friends all live hours away from me and split-screen co-op is a poor compromise in my opinion.

Honestly, if they didn't have co-op at all and explained that co-op just didn't work for the campaign they envisioned, I'd be fine with that. But to create a campaign that does work in co-op and then not include online co-op? I just can't understand it.

I don't know if my particular case is reflected widely or not, but for me personally, co-op is my favorite aspect of the current generation and if KZ3 had online co-op, I would have bought it and convinced one of my friends to buy it as well. As it stands, however, it gets Gamefly'd.

TheOddOne

Tylahedras said:
Interesting KZ2 had a 91 metacritic, KZ3 currently has an 86.

I suspect one or more people at GG are experiencing a "brutal melee" from their supervisors as we speak.
Well KZ3 doesn't have that many reviews yet.

sajj316

The Nature Roy said:
No doubt. My gaming friends all live hours away from me and split-screen co-op is a poor compromise in my opinion.

Honestly, if they didn't have co-op at all and explained that co-op just didn't work for the campaign they envisioned, I'd be fine with that. But to create a campaign that does work in co-op and then not include online co-op? I just can't understand it.

I don't know if my particular case is reflected widely or not, but for me personally, co-op is my favorite aspect of the current generation and if KZ3 had online co-op, I would have bought it and convinced one of my friends to buy it as well. As it stands, however, it gets Gamefly'd.

The co-op could be missions relevant to the main storyline ... that would have been an 'ok' consolation. However, the fact that the campaign is split screen co-op tells me its possible and they SHOULD patch it in!!!

iNvid02

9.4 from gametrailers
only down point was the story which got a 7.8, everything else got 9+ with presentation at 9.7

Fistwell said:
"Making the story feel like an afterthought"
.... well this is a fucking fps, the story is an afterthought, wtf did they expect?

Videogames are the new storytelling medium, fuck movies and books. Serious business.

TacticalFox88 said:
I like how IGN gave MW2 a 10 in graphics but not this, and didn't complain about the story the last time. >.>

Graphics has a lot more to do with what percentage of the CELL you're using. KZ3 has no unique style, unlike its predecessors.

Fistwell said:
.... well this is a fucking fps, the story is an afterthought, wtf did they expect?

Uhh maybe if you play Call of Duty.

Half Life, Halo and Bioshock say otherwise.

H_Prestige said:
Just proof that it was only a very loud minority that kept slamming KZ2. It's why the game is still alive and kicking while KZ3 will be a wasteland once the next COD comes out.
There's nothing about KZ2 that is alive and kicking, hence the alterations to the sequel to make it more mass market friendly.

Fistwell said:
Talk about low expectations. There is no reason a shooter has to have a flimsy story.

NullPointer said:
Talk about low expectations. There is no reason a shooter has to have a flimsy story.

Every console shooter is a glorified shooting gallery with embarrassing attempts at storytelling. No reason for KZ3 to be singled out.

Seems like most reviwers are inducating that it's indeed better than KZ2, but still giving it lower scores. Putting my preorder money tomorrow.

PopcornMegaphone said:
I think KZ2 played like shit and it deserved a 2/10. Deal with it. Opinions are opinions. Not everyone is going to like the same things as you.

This is a review thread, I'll talk about reviews in this review thread thank you very much.

DancingJesus said:
Uhh maybe if you play Call of Duty.

Half Life, Halo and Bioshock say otherwise.

Halflife and the episodes can be considered a decent dystopian fiction, with clever characters and an immersive world, same can be said about Bioshock.

But Halo, wut?

DancingJesus said:
Last time I checked Halo has over 7 books written about the universe.

It's a disappointment that Killzone doesn't take it seriously.

Halo books must be better than Halo game stories then. Must be that with the books you can use your imagination, at least Killzone's despotic industrial and iconoclastic imagery is visually one of the most arresting videogames ever created.

iNvid02

i just want a good online shooter thats a bit different from the generic cod bullshit and killzone 3 delivers in multiplayer.

A.R.K

DancingJesus said:
Last time I checked Halo has over 7 books written about the universe.

It's a disappointment that Killzone doesn't take it seriously.

KZ universe story is much more compelling than Halo universe IMO...honestly Halo games had shitty story too compared to its story outside of the game. Its just that most devs don't translate the story well in a game. Its very rare a shooter has a really good in-game story and well executed within the game. Yeah so singling out KZ3 for this is not fair.

H_Prestige said:
Every console shooter is a glorified shooting gallery with embarrassing attempts at storytelling. No reason for KZ3 to be singled out.
70 minutes of cut-scenes disagree with you. If the story is supposed to be a highlight its fair game imo.

All that said, as long as the storyline provides me with context and background for my actions and ratchets up the tension towards the ending I'm OK. I'd like better stories, but I'll deal all the same.

Omotesando said:
Halo books must be better than Halo game stories then.
Unfortunately, yes.

Raoh

It's a shame about the story, but, I play Killzone for the multiplayer and resistance for the single player. So I guess i'm getting what i'm used to.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
H_Prestige said:
Graphics has a lot more to do with what percentage of the CELL you're using. KZ3 has no unique style, unlike its predecessors.

I'd like to know what game you think KZ3 looks like the most.

TheOddOne said:
Well KZ3 doesn't have that many reviews yet.

You're right, pleanty of time for the score to drop further.

Typically (but not always) the score launches quite a bit higher then where it ends up. Exclusive reviews being so trustworthy and all.

Omotesando said:
Halo books must be better than Halo game stories then.

Having read what's supposed to be the best Halo book (Fall of Reach), not really. I mean, the story (plot) is fine, just like it is in most of the games. The writing is competent. The characterization, though... terrible. Master Chief is basically a murderous brainwashed robot with some human tissue. The whole book is basically an account of how a child is quickly turned into a super-badass drone. There's no catharsis, no sympathy. It's not a pleasant read.

Metalmurphy said:
Is that supposed to be indicative of how the story in the games?...

http://www.killzone.com/kz/storyline.psml

"Unfortunately, the spectacle of the graphics can't rectify the travesty that is the game's narrative. Killzone 2 didn't have a story, some complained. I'd much rather have nothing than the heavy-handed, absurdly edited tale of Killzone 3. There's a feature length film's worth of cutscene tucked away onto the Blu-ray disc, and were it placed into theaters you would walk out in anger and ask for your $12 back. The performances are strong, but the script is miserable. The lack of characterization makes it difficult to care about the plot, and the cutscenes' inability to convey something as simple as cause and effect makes it impossible to even try"

- Joystiq Review

Right.

H_Prestige said:
The snow levels could have been ripped straight out of modern warfare and bc2.

...or any shooter game with snow?

I don't think so.

There's more to this game than the snow levels. And even those have a unique look to them. KZ2 visuals definitely a great sense of atmosphere to them. Hopefully KZ3's are even better.

DancingJesus said:
Did you quote the wrong guy? What does that have to do with what I said/asked?

You claimed Halo has a good story just because it has 7 books... Is that supposed to mean the story in the games is any good?

I just shown you that KZ universe does have an interesting backstory, it just isn't told well (if at all) in the games either.

JaxJag

Banned
How can people call reviews "BS" when they haven't played the Killzone 3 campaign for themselves?

That just amazes me.

Metalmurphy said:
Did you quote the wrong guy? What does that have to do with what I said/asked?

You claimed Halo has a good story because of the 7 books. Guess what? Even if it is interesting in the books to some it doesn't translate into the games at all.

I just shown you that KZ universe does have an interesting backstory, it just isn't told well (if at all) in the games either.

I would argue that Reach's story was told very well, and many critics agree. I can't say the same about previous entries.

This doesn't take away from the artistry poured into Killzone's visual fidelity. As long as the campaign remains fun even with the lack of story, I don't have a problem with it.

H_Prestige said:
The snow levels could have been ripped straight out of modern warfare and bc2.

Hahaha. Really? REALLY? Why because the snow is also white? That's probably it... cause everything else in them is NOTHING like those 2 games.

TheOddOne

Tylahedras said:
You're right, pleanty of time for the score to drop further.

Typically (but not always) the score launches quite a bit higher then where it ends up. Exclusive reviews being so trustworthy and all.
Or it go up.

Metalmurphy said:
Hahaha. Really? REALLY? Why because the snow is also white? That's probably it... cause everything else in them is NOTHING like those 2 games.
BF2 doesn't have KZ2 like snow environments, but sure is something to behold.

scoobs

Man I can't believe how bad people are ripping the single player. Oh well, I'm buying for the multiplayer anyways :)

JaxJag

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Or it go up.

Reviews almost never go up. The best scores are usually the first ones out the door.

JaxJag

Banned
scoobs said:
Man I can't believe how bad people are ripping the single player. Oh well, I'm buying for the multiplayer anyways :)

Me too, I thought Killzone 2's campaign was borderline terrible TBH. Story, characters, and linear level design was just bad.

But I loved the multiplayer and will be buying 3 for the multiplayer.

TheOddOne said:
Or it go up.

BC2. And to be honest, they overdid it with the freaking bloom. Almost blinds a person. Had to turn it off on the PC version.

And for the record BC2 MP > everything else

Top Bottom