• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Review Thread [Update: Reviews In OP]

Astery

killzone 2 - scrapped campaign co-op
disappointment

killzone 3 - split screen campaign co-op only
wtf gg

guess I'll need to wait till killzone 4 for it.

JardeL

SolidSnakex said:
acn7b.jpg

sEFIB.jpg
I'm pretty sure this guy is
Sev

Shurs

DSc said:
Does anyone else find it a bit weird that almost everyone is claiming Killzone 3's multiplayer to be amazing, when journalists (at least in Europe) have only been given the beta and 30 minutes of the final build to try it out?
Don't know where you're getting the "30 minutes" number from, as there were arranged play times that had windows of multiple hours to play the multiplayer portion of the game.

My schedule didn't line up with those times, so my review will be a multi-part affair, with Part One focusing on the campaign.

A.R.K

TrAcEr_x90 said:
wooooooowwwww.....that ign review is utter crap? Amazing single player with a slightly bad story, and amazing multiplayer? 8.5?? C'mon anthony?

The bullshit story CODMW2/BlkOps never got the media to score it lower did it? I mean is there even a story there. I understand KZ3's story might be weak but I don't think there are many FPS that have a really oscar worthy script but they still get a high score. Come on just be fair but I guess that's too much to ask from these 'professional journos'

RedRedSuit said:
Err. Sorry. What I meant by that is that I share your feelings on the subject of lack of online coop.
Thanks for clearing that up. Right there with ya.

*sigh*

And here's hoping that jumping on the COD bandwagon doesn't hurt this campaign as much as it did for Bad Company 2... (or Black Ops for that matter).

CozMick

Banned
Are there any reviews that gave the visuals <10?

I'd like to scrub them from my respected review sites, thanks.

DSc

Shurs said:
Don't know where you're getting the "30 minutes" number from, as there were arranged play times that had windows of multiple hours to play the multiplayer portion of the game.

My schedule didn't line up with those times, so my review will be a multi-part affair, with Part One focusing on the campaign.

From the multiplayer review event I attended yesterday. 30 minutes for multiplayer. Rest of the day to try co-op, Move and 3D.

Also: http://megaderived.co.uk/?p=191

rac

Banned
DSc said:
Does anyone else find it a bit weird that almost everyone is claiming Killzone 3's multiplayer to be amazing, when journalists (at least in Europe) have only been given the beta and 30 minutes of the final build to try it out?
I never trust any reviewers opinion on mp. They all seem pretty bad at games and have no idea what they are talking about.

Gears 2 was a horrible mess at launch the shotgun barely even worked, yet it got great mp scores. It's like they don't even care what they write anymore.

We're talking about Guerella Games here, makers of the (sarcasm on) fantastic Shellshock: Vietnam. I liked KZ2 for certain aspects, but I'm beginning to chalk up its success as an accident.

seady

Sucks that the story is still crap.

For a big franchise like this, you would hope that they create some kind of memorable characters or storyline.

SirButterstick said:
We're talking about Guerella Games here, makers of the (sarcasm on) fantastic Shellshock: Vietnam. I liked KZ2 for certain aspects, but I'm beginning to chalk up its success as an accident.

What the hell are you talking about? KZ3 is getting great scores across the board.

SirButterstick said:
Hurr. Clearly not the same team by a fucking lightyear, but I'll let someone else argue with you about that.

SirButterstick said:

And Naughty Dog are the makers of Way of the Warrior, whoop-de-fucking-do

Empty

A.R.K said:
The bullshit story CODMW2/BlkOps never got the media to score it lower did it? I mean is there even a story there. I understand KZ3's story might be weak but I don't think there are many FPS that have a really oscar worthy script but they still get a high score. Come on just be fair but I guess that's too much to ask from these 'professional journos'

isn't killzone 3 meant to have 70 minutes of cutscenes though? whereas in modern warfare 2 there is much less emphasis on its idiotic story so it's less of an issue.

A.R.K

most of the gaming sites gave KZ2 a higher score than KZ3 but their reviews for KZ3 say it is much more improved than KZ2 in every way but yet it is scored lower than KZ2. Talk about consistency lol

seady said:
Sucks that the story is still crap.

For a big franchise like this, you would hope that they create some kind of memorable characters or storyline.

Pretty much every big shooter this gen has people shitting on the story and characters.

Empty said:
isn't killzone 3 meant to have 70 minutes of cutscenes though? whereas in modern warfare 2 there is much less emphasis on its idiotic story so it's less of an issue.

Yea Joystiq's review of it said how KZ2 had little to no story in it, but in KZ3 they put a bunch of it in with lots of cutscenes... but it's a crappy story that no one will care about.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SirButterstick said:
Wait, what? Killzone 3 is reviewing better than Killzone 2. Furthermore, their PSP game, Killzone Liberation, was also brilliant and well received.

That awful Shellshock game was one chink in their armor and the only really bad game they've released. That was prior to being owned by SCEE as well.

The original Killzone wasn't a bad game, but it was held back by the PS2 hardware and ran pretty poorly. Their last three games have all been great, though.

A.R.K said:
most of the gaming sites gave KZ2 a higher score than KZ3 but their reviews for KZ3 say it is much more improved than KZ2 in every way but yet it is scored lower than KZ2. Talk about consistency lol
expectations scale up over time.

Pretty much every exclusive, wither for the 360 or PS3, gets great reviews. Other reviewers have pointed this out with GeoW2. It's a fault of the shitty state of gaming journalism.

To me, it sounds like they took a step back with KZ2 in the eyes of the players themselves. I bought a PS3 for KZ2 after all the hype and enjoyed it to a certain degree, and honestly I hope I'm surprised with 3.

It seems the pacing in Killzone 3 is much better. The gameplay is broken up with more varied environments. That's a big improvement to me if it's true. I haven't played Killzone 2 because I did not like the controls and setting. It sounds like GG brought more fun to the Killzone 3 campaign along with more responsive controls.

A.R.K said:

I'm pretty sure Blops was praised for its Story (IGN). Than I click on the BC2 review and the header says "same great formula, now with a great single player campaign". :lol

I love BC2 but SP is one of the worst SPs I have played in a LONG time. It has zero memorable characters and I can't recall the storyline. Lets hope these new found standards are not short lived.

SirButterstick said:
To me, it sounds like they took a step back with KZ2 in the eyes of the players themselves. I bought a PS3 for KZ2 after all the hype and enjoyed it to a certain degree, and honestly I hope I'm surprised with 3.

Step back with the fans of KZ2 if anything, whether the game garners more acceptance with other gamers I think is what they are trying to achieve since they seem to have caved into the demands of many shooter fans. The franchise is not exactly on level with other system exclusives or popularity when it comes to sales, and KZ2 got lots of shit from everywhere for multitudes of reasons.

revolverjgw said:
Yes. And he still seems to lack peripheral vision. My only complaints.
Funny how little things like this add up. I also get annoyed by the size of the gun model.

As always, I don't take much consideration of scores, but rather the specific gameplay elements that are noted.

OuterWorldVoice said:
What if they liked it better? They're just opinions.

Bloodstone is like 3 hours long with a crappy MP (I beat it), regardless what they give KZ, 8 is a laughable score for BS and I even enjoyed it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Has there ever been a world exclusive review that was less than 9/10?

These newer reviews sound much more appropriate given the developers track record.

A.R.K said:

It's clearly a case of shooter fatigue. Resistance 3 will almost certainly score lower than Resistance 2 too, even though all indications suggest it's going to be lightyears better.

dream

You guys seem surprised by the reviews. The Killzone series has a history of not living up to its hype.

OuterWorldVoice said:
What if they liked it better? They're just opinions.

Thank you. Reviews are opinion pieces, not journalism. All the sarcastic cries of "gaming journalism" are stupid.

Lion Heart said:
Bloodstone is like 3 hours long with a crappy MP (I beat it), regardless what they give KZ, 8 is a laughable score for BS and I even enjoyed it.

I think KZ2 played like shit and it deserved a 2/10. Deal with it. Opinions are opinions. Not everyone is going to like the same things as you.

Interesting KZ2 had a 91 metacritic, KZ3 currently has an 86.

I suspect one or more people at GG are experiencing a "brutal melee" from their supervisors as we speak.

sajj316

get2sammyb said:
It's clearly a case of shooter fatigue. Resistance 3 will almost certainly score lower than Resistance 2 too, even though all indications suggest it's going to be lightyears better.

This and although I can't access some of the reviews @ work, I wonder if points were deducted w/ a lack of online co-op? What were the other deductions for?

Seems reviews are generally positive and will probably average 89-90 .. which is perfectly acceptable for a shooter.

Ushojax said:
Has there ever been a world exclusive review that was less than 9/10?

OPM gave Mercenaries 2 a 7.

Ushojax said:
These newer reviews sound much more appropriate given the developers track record.

The majority of the reviews so far have given it a 9 or more.

Tylahedras said:
Interesting KZ2 had a 91 metacritic, KZ3 currently has an 86.

I suspect one or more people at GG are experiencing a "brutal melee" from their supervisors as we speak.

Just proof that it was only a very loud minority that kept slamming KZ2. It's why the game is still alive and kicking while KZ3 will be a wasteland once the next COD comes out.

Top Bottom