• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

I have to say that i have encountered some framerate issues. Seemingly every time there is text popping up to do another goal in the mission its stutters, aswell as when the guy talks. Some times in gun fights aswell. I did download the patch is there any chance it didnt "take"? Tried to see if it would download again but it didnt show up. I have had games i put in the system that didnt register and show that quick load screen when u put the card in. Yet they worked and failed if i tried to suspend them. Wonder if something like that happened.

lord pie

Picked up my retail pre-order on my lunch break...can't wait to get home and start playing. I'm really hoping my newly-installed 50Mbps internet can rip through that patch in 20 minutes or so, but I'm always skeptical with PSN downloads... :-\

You can play SP while it downloads... I guess

I have to say that i have encountered some framerate issues. Seemingly every time there is text popping up to do another goal in the mission its stutters, aswell as when the guy talks. Some times in gun fights aswell. I did download the patch is there any chance it didnt "take"? Tried to see if it would download again but it didnt show up. I have had games i put in the system that didnt register and show that quick load screen when u put the card in. Yet they worked and failed if i tried to suspend them. Wonder if something like that happened.

I believe patches are applied when you start a game from the live area?
Is it in the download list - I believe you can press it once it finishes too

Delt31

anyone else running into ammo issues in the first level? Maybe it was the tough controls but I drained through ammo so much that the constant reminder to buy more was getting aggravating!

anyone else running into ammo issues in the first level? Maybe it was the tough controls but I drained through ammo so much that the constant reminder to buy more was getting aggravating!
Not even close - haven't had to purchase ammo once yet. Don't forget to scavenge ammo off of fallen Helghast!

You can play SP while it downloads... I guess

I believe patches are applied when you start a game from the live area?
Is it in the download list - I believe you can press it once it finishes too
I tried to click it in the download list but it just moves me to the bubble thats it. It also shows in the update history. Thing is the digital foundry thread and my experience seems very different. They made it seem like even in major fights its consistent when even if text pops up it lags.

Fusebox

Banned
I've sunk a few hours into this over the last couple of days and goddamn, this is the best portable FPS ever. The bar has been raised so high it's ridiculous.

OmegaZero

Wait, this looks as good as it does without using the alternate Vita power mode (the one that disables Wi-Fi for more performance)?
That's pretty crazy. o.o

The forced touch interactions are actually pushing me away from a purchase of this game. It's a shame someone thinks it's a good idea to force that stuff into these Vita games. It was the worst thing about Uncharted on the Vita.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Can I buy this on my phone at work and have it download to my vita at home? Or is that not possible yet?

Really enjoying it more than I thought. Sucks to see the missed potential with Call of Duty.

Getting my butt whooped online but still having fun! The 2nd analog works well but it is slightly touchy and wiggly. Getting used to it though.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
The forced touch interactions are actually pushing me away from a purchase of this game. It's a shame someone thinks it's a good idea to force that stuff into these Vita games. It was the worst thing about Uncharted on the Vita.

its probably the least obtrusive touch mechanics in a game yet.

It is awwwwwful in Uncharted! Oh my lord it actually makes the game worse. Just when things are clicking and you adapt to the shooting controls and start to think - Hey this is pretty dang fun - then your forced to break through another stone wall or slash bamboo or uppercut some guys. It is AWFUL.

I pray they aren't like that in KZ.

its probably the least obtrusive touch mechanics in a game yet.

Great to know. Thanks.

Fusebox

Banned

What?? No! I hate Uncharted touch stuff, this is touch DONE RIGHT.

Man

I bought this. I'm surprised I actually bought another Vita game because I end up not playing them but I bought this. And I will play it. Just not today.

No Love

Banned
What?? No! I hate Uncharted touch stuff, this is touch DONE RIGHT.

Yup. The touch stuff in this game is awesome and intense. Interrogating enemies is so intense and I swear to God I always feel like someone is gonna come up behind me and kill me while I'm doing it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It is awwwwwful in Uncharted! Oh my lord it actually makes the game worse. Just when things are clicking and you adapt to the shooting controls and start to think - Hey this is pretty dang fun - then your forced to break through another stone wall or slash bamboo or uppercut some guys. It is AWFUL.

I pray they aren't like that in KZ.

Great to know. Thanks.

Every melee kill is triangle followed by a random swipe across the touchscreen. Can't be disabled. They are a bit annoying.
Other touch controls like for grenades etc aren't bad, they're at the edge of the screen so more like an extension of the buttons (and you can turn them off)

I'm finding I get low on ammo quite quickly too. I wish you'd just pick up ammo by walking through it - the prompt to pick up ammo is often nowhere near the fallen enemies

Swiping for melee / interrogate
Planting bombs (campaign)
Hacking puzzle
Porcupine launcher

Other than that its just the weapon switch button and that poss has and alt control scheme to put it on a button. Its really pretty decent and unobtrusive use of the touch screen.

Hoping for some more maps. Multiplayer is worth it alone.

Edit: Man, the game doesn't save checkpoints! I have to start the first mission over again! I have to watch the cut scenes all over again!

This is 2013! What is this "bleep!?"

Love the game though!

Letep

Preordered at Gamestop for in-store pickup last week.

Went to pick it up today, no preorder in their system, so I show them the confirmation email with their store listed, etc.

Am offered to purchase a gutted copy.

Nope.

Ordered from Amazozn which will be here Thursday.

Enjoy the game, post screenshots!

Clocked the SP last night. It was actually a decent ride; nothing to write home about, but probably more engaging than recent console shooters, which may just been a by-product of the novelty of having such a comprehensive KZ experience in the palm of your hand. Some scenes were drop-dead gorgeous to look at, so that's reason enough to play.

That being said, KZ's bread and butter always has been MP and that's no different here. It's seriously fun. I would definitely recommend getting decent at it.

krioto

The alternate contracts for each level really do extend the SP campaign. Veteran difficulty is perfect, and the goals for each are attainable with some practice.

I also really like the style of the level intros - the briefings for each mission look fantastic.

And MP - awesome.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Should've downloaded the update this morning before leaving. This thing I'd going to take awhile.

And given how patches work, I'm not looking forward to inevitably download this again.

Triz

GameStop preorder bonus won't redeem. Anyone know of a fix? I tweeted playstation and GameStop no reply.

OCD question re: burn-in... What are the odds of something like the 'secondary weapon' icon burning in? I've been playing ridiculous amounts...

Top Bottom