• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

Game just gets better the more I play it. Just did the precision version of the first mission and found a whole new set of rooms I didn't see the first time haha. Def makes each mission feel pretty different.

Then had a couple of war zone matches. People still don't seem to understand the interrogation phase which is annoying but it is what it is.

Controls are so tight once you get used to them. Sprinting, sliding, cover all works so well.

I really hope the pit motion aiming into ps4 shooters. Is so great for fine adjustments to head shots. It's a perfect balance between the classic mouse vs controller situation for me.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
True sign I'm enjoying this a lot - I keep going back and replaying the levels. Loving how easy it is to pull off headshots with the gyro aiming. The level that starts
with the boat
has such a great progression. Really cool game.

Game just gets better the more I play it. Just did the precision version of the first mission and found a whole new set of rooms I didn't see the first time haha. Def makes each mission feel pretty different.

Then had a couple of war zone matches. People still don't seem to understand the interrogation phase which is annoying but it is what it is.

Controls are so tight once you get used to them. Sprinting, sliding, cover all works so well.

Problem is, interrogations are worthwhile every few minutes to reveal enemy movements on the map, but not so frequently that you risk being killed for a few extra points.

If the interrogations had more weight in terms of overall team score, and you received more cash performing them, we'd see more stealthy, flank-and-grab tactics during the interrogation round.

It isn't bad as it is right now, but it could be tweaked for the better. I also wish sniper rifles had quicker reload times and a more powerful gunshot sound.

Delt31

The best advice I can give to newbs is this:

1. Adjust your controls first. Make sure sensitivity is set to your liking. I dialed it up two notches from default and use partway movements to adjust my aiming. Works really well.

2. Probably one of the best tips that will give you a huge advantage over 90% of other players is USE HEADPHONES, especially quality ones if you can. I use some huge Sennheisers that are insulated and I can hear EVERYTHING. Position audio in this game is great and most people make a lot of noise shuffling around. Stop every once in a while in a position where you have your back to a wall or are concealed around a corner and just listen.

Using this + radar and letting your teammates exposes enemies means you can flank often and flank hard. I get a lot of double and triple kills by doing.

Best two tips I can offer.

What do you mean by "partway movement"? I'm still having issues with the feel of the controls and can't find the sweet spot either but my adjustments thus far mirror yours (making it a little more sensitive but not all the way like others recommended as I feel like I have no control).

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but if you've completed the game, don't forget to try it with radar off, it's a different experience and you can still press d-pad up to find out where to go next.

It's nice with a minimal hud, reminds me of hardcore mode in cod, which cod vita doesn't have. Anyway I'm glad the options are there. I basically just leave the touch weapon controls on in single player now.

Bot mode would have made it perfect for when you're travelling. Adhoc too of course.

Also a tip about checkpoints, after a tough area, visit a blackjack armoury box, you don't have to buy anything I don't think, but it will save. Sometimes it takes you back too far when you die.

Vanguards are so fun.

I know most of you are playing the multiplayer mostly. Not able to connect to psn from abroad for some reason, can't play so been rinsing the single player... Bots.

Grisby

The no check pointing blows something hard. Granted, you can finish the missions pretty quickly if you are on normal and are running/gunning your way through. However, if you play like me and try to stealth each area and hack every terminal you can easily triple your invested time.

I had a glitch as a button would not be pressed and I had to restart the whole mission, losing 20 something minutes. Why couldn't I just restart from a checkpoint? Also, the Vita doesn't particularly have a great battery life so if I have to stop because of that, whelp, there goes all of your level progress.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but if you've completed the game, don't forget to try it with radar off, it's a different experience and you can still press d-pad up to find out where to go next.

It's nice with a minimal hud, reminds me of hardcore mode in cod, which cod vita doesn't have. Anyway I'm glad the options are there. I basically just leave the touch weapon controls on in single player now.
I'm gonna go through a second time with everything off, just snapping pics.
Game just gets better the more I play it.
I'm on mission 7 and yeah, it really does keep amping up. Good stuff.

jayvo

Am I the only one who can't connect to multiplayer? I don't know if it's because I'm using the 3G/Wifi Vita (not using AT&T data btw, only wifi), but whenever I try any online mode, I get the "No network connection to the game host was able to be made" error. I get this error every single time I try to play. And I check my network connections. My wifi speed is great. Just can't play this game online for some reason.

Am I the only one who can't connect to multiplayer? I don't know if it's because I'm using the 3G/Wifi Vita (not using AT&T data btw, only wifi), but whenever I try any online mode, I get the "No network connection to the game host was able to be made" error. I get this error every single time I try to play. And I check my network connections. My wifi speed is great. Just can't play this game online for some reason.

The only time that has happened to me is when I placed my Vita into sleep mode while the game was running and then resumed playing.

krioto

my only complaint thus far is that the MP is so engrossing that I've missed the low battery warning three nights in a row, and end up disconnecting - always happens when I'm having a great game as well

jayvo

The only time that has happened to me is when I placed my Vita into sleep mode while the game was running and then resumed playing.

I also get the error "You were kicked from the game due to loss of connectivity" whenever it tries to put me in a game I guess. What the hell.......I wonder if there's something wrong with the Vita.

I turned on gyro aiming for maybe 5 minutes and turned it back off again. I can understand the benefit of the fine-tuning in SP where you have ample time, but in MP, it seems a bit ineffective. I might have to experiment with it again.

eznark

Banned
Played through the first two levels, fun and generic shooter. I'm disappointed I forgot my power cable so I won't be able to play anymore til Saturday.

nampad

I turned on gyro aiming for maybe 5 minutes and turned it back off again. I can understand the benefit of the fine-tuning in SP where you have ample time, but in MP, it seems a bit ineffective. I might have to experiment with it again.

I had to deactivate it, too. It completely messed with my aim. Funnily, I still try to use it although it is deactivated, what a brainfart.

Really regret trying it in MP.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm loving some of these maps. The one with the ship in particular. So many nice spots on the side to watch the middle arena from.

Man, how I really wish the radar in KZ Mercenary looked like this:
knsAGx2.png

No, obstructing blue circle thing would do wonders for the HUD.

Also, do people really adjust the their settings. Never adjusted mine, seems perfect to me.

nampad

Trying to do the demolition contract in the second level and can't find more than two of the canisters in the server room.
The two I found are left and right from the hacking terminal and as the room is so small I think I have searched every nook and cranny. How the hell are there supposed to be 8 of them?

I did also destroy those before I jumped down to the server floor, right after you enter the
cruiser
around the second captain. But those didn't count.

Already started the contract two times because the last saved checkpoint won't help.

Anyone know where I am supposed to look for them?

bLaiSe

I have it set at 5 bars and I find it really useful for sniping. It does not interfere the other weapons aiming either.

DirtyLarry

So I am not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread already, but I believe I found a little "work-around" for the lack of a checkpoint or save system in the SP campaign. If you do something you do not want to lose, like rank up, get a good interrogation, or collect some intel via a hack, it pays to go back to the nearest Arms Dealer and enter it. Even if you do not purchase anything, if and when you die, the game will actually restart you from that Arm Dealer, and not the last invisible "checkpoint."

Just figured I would share. I am on mission #4, kept having to do an interrogation because I was dying shortly after completing it, and this appeared to work. I even killed myself to make sure, and it did work.

krioto

Trying to do the demolition contract in the second level and can't find more than two of the canisters in the server room.
The two I found are left and right from the hacking terminal and as the room is so small I think I have searched every nook and cranny. How the hell are there supposed to be 8 of them?

I did also destroy those before I jumped down to the server floor, right after you enter the
cruiser
around the second captain. But those didn't count.

Already started the contract two times because the last saved checkpoint won't help.

Anyone know where I am supposed to look for them?

If the one's you found are the two on the floor - the other 6 are :

- 2x2 on each wall either side of the server control
- 2 single ones hanging above the server control on the left and right side

I realize that I'm really not that bad. I just had some bad luck playing against really good players, LOL!

But I think I'm getting a little better. Getting less frustrated.

Grisby

Lost most of my DOA5 matches tonight. Decided to play some KZM mp and literally am having the best game I've ever had when the battery dies. I thought it had more time, :(

Just one of those gaming nights.
Thats what I thought. It looks exactly like the opening level in KZ2.
I think it's mission 4 or 5 where you can see the beach from KZ2. Looked rough but I think that's where they landed.

nampad

If the one's you found are the two on the floor - the other 6 are :

- 2x2 on each wall either side of the server control
- 2 single ones hanging above the server control on the left and right side

Thank you. Now I have to do all that crap before again :/

Played through the first level and one multiplayer match. It can be understated enough, the game blows away every handheld game before it in graphics. It's even better looking then most PS3 games. And the controls are fantastic. None of the weight or movement that Killzone is known for was lost in translation.

What I like most about the singleplayer so far that Resistance Burning Skies was missing is that the world is so alive in detail and scale. Looking out of the skyscraper you can see capital ships and dropships way far out in the distance all engaging each other. There also seems to be a lot of fan service in terms of plot and characters going on in the background for those who have played all the games like I have.

For multiplayer I went 21-17 on the refinery map. Nothing special yet still the best player on my miserable team. The first time someone tried to stab me I countermelee'd them which felt awesome. If I have one complaint from just one round is that remote charges are lame as shit and people are gonna abuse them for cheap kills.

I really didn't like the feel of KZ on consoles, but Mercenary has a nice balance of CoD and KZ.

Makes the game feel faster and lighter. It's an amazing achievement on a handheld.

This isn't hyperbole but this is the best portable online shooter ever made!

Seriously, nothing and I mean NOTHING, including all the games on ios, comes close!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Holy shit this game is good.

Played first 3 missions, then a friend came over who has played KZ2-3 on my PS3 but never played a Vita game before.

He played 2 missions on hard and loved it.

So addicting, and awesome to watch the different ways you can play the game.

Weapons feel satisfying, AI is good, Hit detection/reaction is great, ragdolls and death animations are fantastic. The environment and art design are varied and a treat for the eyes, controls are tight and easy to use, even my non Vita owning friend was pulling off masterful headshots in no time. I could go on, but god damn. Killer App.

Not to mention, the graphics are so incredible it defies explanation. But most people knew that already.

Some single player impressions:

To those who feel the missions are too short, play on veteran difficulty with the mini-map disabled. It makes a lot of difference compared with playing on easy and with the map enabled.

The gameplay feels somewhere between Killzone 2 and Killzone 1 in structure, with a little Perfect Dark thrown in for good measure. The battles aren't as large scaled as those in the PS3 Killzone games, but there are some pretty amazing moments that make you forget you're playing on a handheld.

Add different objectives in second and third playthroughs, and suddenly you've got at least 12 hours of single-player gameplay here.

Tygamr

Playing with a nice set of headphones is awesome. Sound design in this game is unbelievable on a portable. So crisp and clear, and you can tell what's going on all around you even if you can't see what's happening.

So far, I've only finished the first 4 missions.
The second half of the fourth mission with Boris and Justice really reminded me of BioShock. It was like a big daddy protecting his little sister
. Campaign is great so far.

Got my rank up to ace in multiplayer. I have yet to see anyone else with an ace. Lots of jokers, with a few kings and queens mixed in. They really do need to fix spawn points though. Was not as bad in the beta as it is in the full game.

I never thought I'd want to pay full price for this game, but this thread's enthusiasm has me tempted. Maybe there'll be a slight price drop by the time I finish Dragon's Crown.

beast786

loving it, graphics are really insane. Fights are intense and fun. Game is not easy and requires to use all the option of gameplay. I also love the fact I lose money when I die. Lve that

Guys I've played about 45mins and exited the game and I'm in the main menu. How do I resume my campaign, it doesnt say "continue" or anything.

Really hate that you can't restart from a checkpoint, hope they patch it in. Hell, take the same 50 soace bucks fee charged for dying.

Guys I've played about 45mins and exited the game and I'm in the main menu. How do I resume my campaign, it doesnt say "continue" or anything.
You don't because you probably didn't finish the mission and subsequently get to start over!

Whaaaaat?! I saw the save icon several times during my playthrough, I thought that meant the game has been saved!

I have all my stats saved, but not the save file. It doesn't make sense!.

Darvan

Do yourself a favor and run a network test and see what it says your NAT is. I've seen that message on a friend's Vita and his NAT was 3 instead of 2. His modem had downloaded an update and reset to default.

Vlodril

Well caved in and bought it. Visually it is amazing but fuck the hacking mini games.. why do devs add that things.. they are always frustrating. sure give 50 secs to do a 4,2,5 wave.

Well caved in and bought it. Visually it is amazing but fuck the hacking mini games.. why do devs add that things.. they are always frustrating. sure give 50 secs to do a 4,2,5 wave.

If you have problem with hacking just select one of patters and then remove it from all fields where it is. After that cleanup is easy.

jayvo

Do yourself a favor and run a network test and see what it says your NAT is. I've seen that message on a friend's Vita and his NAT was 3 instead of 2. His modem had downloaded an update and reset to default.

Tried this. My NAT type is 2.

SmokyDave

Nice to see so many people digging this corking game.

If you have problem with hacking just select one of patters and then remove it from all fields where it is. After that cleanup is easy.

Yeah, once I clocked on to this, I was hacking like a mofo. I actually enjoyed the 3 layer ones.

Top Bottom