• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

heringer

Right at the end of mission 3 the game crashed on me and my Vita went nuts. It won't even power down. The song keeps playing but the screen is black. And from what I hear, the game doesn't save checkpoints. This is bullshit GG.

Any safe way to force shut down this thing?

edit: ok, forced shut down, everything is okay now. Well, except for mission 3.

Rutgurk

Neo Member
Patch out C4 and Mantis engine and this would be one of my favorite MP shooters ever
I don't mind the C4, Blast armor is a good counter to both c4 and rocket spammers. I do agree on the Mantis though, that thing is bs. It's also really annoying that everyone seems to be using it, there's one up every other second :/
But it doesn't stop me from loving the mp :D

Tygamr

Mantis engine isn't too hard to take down, as long as you see it right away. Also, it's on the map, so it's fairly easy to avoid getting near it.

lord pie

Inclined to agree with the hilarious but OP Mantis Engine

Pyro grenade. If you have time, throw it towards the drone and detonate. The blast radius is moderate size but the drone is destroyed instantly if you do it right.

If you don't have time, then prime and hold the grenade (keep dpad-down held down). This will arm the grenade but not throw it. Unlike the normal grenade, the pyro can be held indefinitely - and it instantly explodes if you die. So you take the drone with you.

Another fun tip: C4 attaches to enemy players... :p

Grisby

What a terrible final boss.
Bum rush, bullet sponge, and respawning guys oh my.

Other then that I had a really good time. There are a lot of little issues that kind of crop up here and there (why do I need to press a button to pick up ammo?) but I think the enemy encounters are pretty solid. On a whole the gunplay feels fun and fast.

It's pretty crazy but this is a true killzone game through and through. On one last note for now, Mercenary drains my battery like crazy.

Born2Live

Got to say that I am loving the MP on this game. I'm not the best when it comes to FPS but my frustration levels have remained in check and I seem to be pulling out decent scores in most games. It's that enjoyable that it's keeping me from starting the SP campaign.

Playing with HUD completely off on Veteran. Feels awesome, looks awesome, is awesome.

I felt like an absolute bad-arse in one section of the first mission; just outside
the jail section before the Grey rescue
, all these Helghast pouring in from the ground floor and I'm just melee'ing my way through a corridor.

Old Boy feeling.

And what a beautiful game.

16oxrXy.jpg

Inclined to agree with the hilarious but OP Mantis Engine

Definitely hilarious. I think removing the verticality of its movement would balance it out a bit. The fact that you can just spam the right joystick and become a rollercoaster of death that's pretty tough to hit makes it a bit ridiculous.

DirtyLarry

I also don't like how it costs money to switch to a weapon you already own. Maybe it's the ammo or something? Ahh well. Can't wait to get the drone vangaurds.
Nah its everything, which is pretty damn stupid. Wait until you go to switch a Vanguard system. Think it was $1250 or some truly ridiculous number.

I actually purchased The Ghost vanguard with my free preorder bonus money, and wish I never did. It drains so damn fast it is almost useless, and unless I am missing something terribly obvious, can I really not turn it on and off? Once I start it that is it?

A friend of mine who is not a gamer at all, but has always been that friend that will simply just watch me play a game for hours just because he appreciates good visuals, was blown away when I just showed him the graphics. His exact reaction was "c'mon now, that's a video of a regular playstation game right?" Truly is impressive what they pulled off with the visuals. Really enjoying the SP, have yet to touch MP.

EDIT - What exactly is the science behind the valor cards? Is it as simple as higher score = better card?

I cant seem to get into any matches are they down? Didnt have a problem like this during the beta and played a few matches even today but it keeps failing the past couple hours.

I actually purchased The Ghost vanguard with my free preorder bonus money, and wish I never did.[/B]

I accidentally purchased the Blast Armour very early on and I was cut up about it for the whole night; I wanted to get the full suite of weapons before anything else.

Then I realized that it's actually kinda decent and given the copious amounts of money you end up getting, unlocking absolutely everything isn't really a slog at all.

On another note: man, I am so bad at countering melee attacks.

DirtyLarry

I accidentally purchased the Blast Armour very early on and I was cut up about it for the whole night; I wanted to get the full suite of weapons before anything else.

Then I realized that it's actually kinda decent and given the copious amounts of money you end up getting, unlocking absolutely everything isn't really a slog at all.

On another note: man, I am so bad at countering melee attacks.
It does appear as if the money is coming in, so that is a good deal.

I actually have not purchased another primary weapon yet and I am on Mission #6 now I think it is (might be #5, but pretty sure it is #6). Am definitely thinking a sniper rifle is in order soon, but I do actually love the default primary they start you with, especially since I am doing my best to stealth as much of each mission that I can.

One other thing, Skyline is a beautiful map. I was getting shot because I was admiring the surroundings.

That map is full of "wow" moments, visually. Funnily enough, the first one for me was in the unassuming staircase with the wooden panels. The glossy sheen and the textures look superb.

nib95

Banned
Really positive impressions in this thread. I wasn't going to get my Vita till the PS4's release....but the thread is tempting me. Killzone is one of my fave fps franchises. KZ3 dropped the ball a bit though.

How does this compare in terms of overall feel and quality, closer to KZ2 or KZ3?

Grisby

That map is full of "wow" moments, visually. Funnily enough, the first one for me was in the unassuming staircase with the wooden panels. The glossy sheen and the textures look superb.
I agree, my first time on there I was doing all of my stuff on the ground floor. Went up stairs and wowza. Such a pleasing color palette.

Really positive impressions in this thread. I wasn't going to get my Vita till the PS4's release....but the thread is tempting me. Killzone is one of my fave fps franchises. KZ3 dropped the ball a bit though.

How does this compare in terms of overall feel and quality, closer to KZ2 or KZ3?

It's been a damn while since I've played either, so my memory is hazy, but I would say it is more KZ3 than KZ2, if only for the fact that ADS is more viable/applicable to most situations. Make no mistake, though; this is a Killzone game. The weight/momentum is awesome and quite evident.

VanWinkle

It feels like it's own thing really, but it makes me think more of KZ2 than 3. I don't know why - I can't really pinpoint a reason - but that's just how it is for me. It's pretty unique in the franchise, though.

Yup, that level is astonishing looking, and I was dying a lot too when I first played it, lol.

Some shots from that level:

Also, those textures...

iSaxJgNSXYUjV.jpg

I love this game!

I gotta beat the SP campaign before I jump online. What weapon is that?

I've stuck with the standard assault rifle...are there any other better assault rifles?

VanWinkle

I love this game!

I gotta beat the SP campaign before I jump online. What weapon is that?

I've stuck with the standard assault rifle...are there any other better assault rifles?

That one is...I think STA-14? Can't remember 100%. Standard assault rifle is good. I like the gun you see in that screenshot although with the scope it's not perfect for everything. It's semi-auto and can shoot fairly fast as long as you can hit the trigger button quickly. I used it a bit in the beta and liked it, so that was the first gun I bought in the full game as well.

Big fan of the StA-52SE and M66 SMG.

And that ISA shotgun...hot damn, do you NOT feel like a dirty, armoured death dealer with every slide-up-into-skull-pulping shotty discharge.

Killzone weaponry brings out the unrepentant sci-fi gun nut in me. Best in show, since the first game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm trying to think of a more immersive game on a handheld. Sometimes the cheesy voice acting takes me out of it, but the helgast soldiers have great character, I love hearing them. And the little digital cha-ching when you kill someone is soooo satisfying. The last time I remember feeling that way was the noise the combine soldiers in HL2 made when you got them.

I'm trying to think of a more immersive game on a handheld. Sometimes the cheesy voice acting takes me out of it, but the helgath soldiers have great character, I love hearing them. And the little digital cha-ching when you kill someone is soooo satisfying. The last time I remember feeling that way was the noise the combine soldiers in HL2 made when you got them.

Agreed. The Helghast have pretty decent ambient VO work. Clambering up the GOTY charts for me.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I just finished my first playthrough of the campaign on hard with an in game clock time of 6 hours and 31 minutes. Impressions are as follows.

Gameplay

This game plays like a dream. The dual analog controls are as perfect as they can get on Vita, and combined with gyro controls for tweaking the aim for that headshot, the game plays fluid, and even people new to Vita will be dancing the ballet of death in no time. The touch controls are unobtrusive and effective, they make melee kills more satisfying, and hacking more efficient. The only touch screen control I did not really like/use was touch to sprint. I found using the Circle button more effective. AI is impressive, and will consistently evade fire, flank you, rush you, or get better firing positions on you.

The gameplay mechanics are relatively deep, including melee, melee counter, ammo collection, downing and interrogation, stealth vs assault tactics, a multitude of varied and fun weapons, armors, and abilities. Enemy types are varied, and so are the environments/missions. Earning and spending credits is addicting and satisfying, and being able to replay contracts with different success parameters and rewards is awesome and reminiscent of Goldeneye/Perfect Dark 64. Overall, the best playing game on Vita, and the best gameplay in a handheld shooter, EVER.

Graphics

The graphics on display here are nothing short of wizardry. Guerrilla Cambridge have created something so mind blowing that I many times forgot that I was playing on a handheld. The most impressive thing to my eyes, is that they not only got screen space reflections a la Shadowfall, Crysis 2, and Second Son (Albeit at lower fidelity), but they use it liberally throughout the game, and combined with colorful artwork, it makes one HELL of a beautiful game. Characters are well detailed, weapon models are fantastic, scale is impressive, lighting is fantastic, and all at native resolution with little to no drops in framerate or resolution. It is the Crysis of PS Vita. If we see a game that outdoes KZ:M on Vita graphically, I will be very pleasantly surprised. Though it being only a year old, that will probably happen.

Sound

I played this game using my Turtle Beach XP Seven headset, and wow, the game sounds fantastic. Gun sounds are nice and thumpy, footsteps clear, and explosions bassy. Voice acting is actually pretty well done, and for a handheld title, rivaled only by Uncharted:GA or MGS titles. The inclusion of Visari's propaganda speeches in the background, while Helghast enemies communicate, the wind blows, and the metal creeks, all solidify into a very atmospheric audio experience.

Story

The game takes place during the events of Killzone 1-2, taking place both on Vecta and Helghan. Mission briefings do a good job of setting up contracts, and cementing their position in the Killzone timeline. Many references (even footage) to other games in the series are used. Intel you gather from hacking terminals and interrogating officers also has many good story tidbits as well. The game has a short, but interesting ride through the eyes of the Merc for hire. The story actually has more twists and turns than expected, and pretty engaging. As long as you don't go in expecting Bioshock or TLoU, it is enjoyable.

Overall

This game is a fantastic Vita title and IMO a surefire Killer app. A must buy for any Killzone fan, and likewise for any fan of FPS games.

I have high hopes for Shadowfall on PS4, but I have a feeling that this game is so good, when the dust settles, there will be people who prefer Mercenaries.

Killzone: Mercenary is the ODST of the Killzone Universe. And like that game, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

bjscott05

Just got finished playing this for two hours between single and multiplayer. Amazing...even better than the beta. I'm even enjoying the single player, which I usually don't even touch in many shooters. All I can say is this: If you are on the fence about buying this game YOU NEED TO BUY IT! Totally worth it.

I really hope there is some MP DLC planned. I'd have to imagine there is.

kubricks

I just bought this game, tried it a bit and it is fantastic!
However, I have never played FPS on console before (I only played on PC mouse+keyboard combination) and find it quite hard to get into the analog stick control. How long does it typically take to get comfortable with it and is there any set up can help me through?

I invert the Y-axis since it felt more comfortable, I also reduce the Y-axis sensitivity which helps a bit... am I doing it right?

demolitio

Alright, if this doesn't sell well for a Vita game, I'm going to be extremely pissed. This game is absolutely amazing on many levels and it's unreal to think this is a handheld game. I'm still amazed at how stunning some of the sections are in SP and even MP is really good looking.

I hope this sells well and encourages some post-launch support and hopefully convince Sony to make more big games for the Vita. I'm still mad they didn't keep Zipper around because of SOCOM 4 when Unit 13 on the Vita proved a full SOCOM title was possible on there with great controls.

Now I understand how some Nintendo fans feel when they get mad at fellow Wii U owners for not buying one of the few third-party games on their system except we're just hoping to get more first-party titles at best...lol.

Edit: Getting used to controls comes with time really kubricks. FPS games on home consoles are actually easier thanks to the larger sticks so it's even harder to adjust to a Vita FPS but eventually you'll get the hang of it. I mostly play on PC but also play on consoles and the Vita and it's just something that comes with time. Sensitivities totally depend on the person though. I usually turn mine up but didn't do it as much with this game due to the sticks, but I turned up the gyro aiming to max to help me out. If you haven't checked that out, definitely try it because the gyro aiming can help with the precise shots and it was a big feature for me in Uncharted on the Vita as well. Now I use sticks for the normal quick movement but then refine my aim with the motion aiming. It's definitely a nice feature for a handheld game where it's harder to use the sticks precisely.

Now I understand how some Nintendo fans feel when they get mad at fellow Wii U owners for not buying one of the few third-party games on their system except we're just hoping to get more first-party titles at best...lol.

Well in UK it was 5th best debut for Vita game ever so it won't be Wonderfull 101 for sure :D

Also I finished rafinery mission
And holy crap ISA left me there to die. Finally working on the correct side of conflict :)

BigTnaples

Alright, if this doesn't sell well for a Vita game, I'm going to be extremely pissed. This game is absolutely amazing on many levels and it's unreal to think this is a handheld game. I'm still amazed at how stunning some of the sections are in SP and even MP is really good looking.

Same here.

Going to buy a copy for my friend if he doesn't do it himself.

demolitio

Well in UK it was 5th best debut for Vita game ever so it won't be Wonderfull 101 for sure :D

That's not too hard to beat at least...lol. I just really want this to be the start of something great for the Vita and I want the devs responsible for this to be praised. I never expected good review scores for this since it's got a double whammy against it by being a Killzone game AND a Vita game, but this deserves to sell well from the impressions alone.

By the way, have they mentioned if there's any crosstalk between this and Shadow Fall such as a few free unlocks or skins, etc. when that launches? I always loved how the SOCOM games did that for their die-hard fans that got the PSP games as well as the main ones and I wish more games did that. Nothing substantial, but a nice little "you rock" bonus for supporting the series.

I always loved the KZ series so this game excited me on premise and gameplay alone, but it's exceeded all expectations.

Same here.

Going to buy a copy for my friend if he doesn't do it himself.

Shit. Can I be your friend in the future? I'm already worrying about how I'm getting Tearaway since the new healthcare shit is expected to hit me hard in October so games are getting prioritized already, lol.

Seriously though, I now understand how that feels to want to FORCE people to buy a game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Jumped right into the multiplayer after getting the game today. Looks so sexy in all its OLED glory. Really enjoyable but I hate those little robot fuckers that track you down and blow up.

Wonder how long it'll be before FPSes move away from killstreaks that have plagued every single mulitplayer shooter for the past 8 years. Fan of the core gameplay, not a fan of the stupid forced in CoD mechanics. There needs to be an innovation, I hope it happens soon with next-gen upon us.

Wonder how long it'll be before FPSes move away from killstreaks that have plagued every single mulitplayer shooter for the past 8 years. Fan of the core gameplay, not a fan of the stupid forced in CoD mechanics. There needs to be an innovation, I hope it happens soon with next-gen upon us.

8 years?
Unreal Tournament had them in 1999 ;)

BigTnaples

Jumped right into the multiplayer after getting the game today. Looks so sexy in all its OLED glory. Really enjoyable but I hate those little robot fuckers that track you down and blow up.

Killzone Shadowfall seems to offer a pretty pure multiplayer experience. There are slight improvements you get during a play session, but nothing huge, and you can disable them.

Also, Battlefield 4 does not really have any killstreak like elements.

Can we talk about how freaking beautiful the Marketplace map is? And how awesome it is that you can see the palace burning in the background from KZ2.

This game is almost too good.

Top Bottom