• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

EGOMON

GG need to do something about the Vulture Radar, that thing is OP i played several matches where the VR never stopped for the whole match it was like having the Blackbird form Black Ops all the time, i have been in both ends and its not fun both way >.<

Either make it high end reward or implement some kind of cool down other than that am absolutely loving the game been playing it all the time.

Really positive impressions in this thread. I wasn't going to get my Vita till the PS4's release....but the thread is tempting me. Killzone is one of my fave fps franchises. KZ3 dropped the ball a bit though.

How does this compare in terms of overall feel and quality, closer to KZ2 or KZ3?

So far I am enjoying far more from a gameplay perspective than KZ3. KZ2 is god tier though.

Cha

Guys, is it possible to carry 4 grenades? When I have grenades equipped, the grenade icon always shows 2/4 slots filled. There isn't any option to buy more grenades or increase the amount you can carry in Blackjacks shop, but if you can only carry 2, then why are there additional slots? I can't figure this out.

Not related:
i40Raij1g58Vt.jpg

Tygamr

Guys, is it possible to carry 4 grenades? When I have grenades equipped, the grenade icon always shows 2/4 slots filled. There isn't any option to buy more grenades or increase the amount you can carry in Blackjacks shop, but if you can only carry 2, then why are there additional slots? I can't figure this out.

Not related:

Some types of grenades allow you to carry four. They don't change the GUI for each type of grenade. Just depends what grenade you have. Generally- the powerful the grenade, less you'll be able to carry.

Caayn

Anyone else having problems with the multiplayer? I can't find any matches, as it keeps saying that the connection to the host can't be established. While I can browse the PSN store and the internet without any problems.

Cha

Some types of grenades allow you to carry four. They don't change the GUI for each type of grenade. Just depends what grenade you have. Generally- the powerful the grenade, less you'll be able to carry.

I see. Yeah, I noticed that the pyro and gas grenades only allow one use. Sucks for people with bad aim, like me :p.

Also, It may have been mentioned before, but accessing BlackJack's shop/box/thing counts as a checkpoint. So it's a good idea to access those boxes often - even if you don't want to buy anything. The regular mission checkpoints are kinda far apart.

Had some weird lag issues in a game just now. Countering melee attacks in which the arrow was already filled up (after swiping) on my screen still resulted in me dying. Happened like 3 times. Also got killed many times with one shot SMG/AR kills... Some weird shit. Had quite a bad score at the end, and the other team wasn't even that good judging by their scores. Definitely sketchy.

Other then that. MP is everything I hoped ot would be and more. What a phenomenal game. I'm really hoping we'll get some meaty DLC, free would e preferable of course because of the always annoying fragmentation, but I'm definitely willing to pay.

Finished 3rd mission...

Ranking time? Ranking time....

1. Killzone 2
2. Killzone Mercenary
3. Killzone 3
4. Killzone Liberation
5. Killzone

oh, and highly recommend the Vita Assist Grip to go with this game, makes using the sticks much smoother without having to make "the claw" with your fingers as it turns the vita into a big Dualshock :D

Vita-Assist-Grip.jpg

bLaiSe

oh, and highly recommend the Vita Assist Grip to go with this game, makes using the sticks much smoother without having to make "the claw" with your fingers as it turns the vita into a big Dualshock :D

Vita-Assist-Grip.jpg

+1
This and the Bluecell analog stick covers = perfection

bLaiSe

links to where I can get them? hmm
my PDP trigger grips aren't cutting it for me
I'll send them in PM when I get home. The assist grip on eBay is 35$ but there's a site where you can get them for ~10$+shipping from Japan but they sell it only in white and red.

Vitor711

Finally got the game, Amazon being late again. Downloading the 1.2GB patch and jumping straight into multiplayer afterwards!

Ha, had the same problem.

However, as I had originally ordered via Prime with my one month free trial, they resent another copy for free once I complained that it hadn't arrived yet. Now I have 2 copies of the game which is nice. After a quick sojourn to ebay, it will basically be a free gift.

And not a shabby gift either.

DirtyLarry

Guys, is it possible to carry 4 grenades? When I have grenades equipped, the grenade icon always shows 2/4 slots filled.:
Not sure about all the other grenades, but you can carry 4 frags once you upgrade to the Supply armor that allows for more ammo. That was probably the best purchase I have made so far.

wilflare

I'll send them in PM when I get home. The assist grip on eBay is 35$ but there's a site where you can get them for ~10$+shipping from Japan but they sell it only in white and red.

that is actually good news XD I have a White Vita haha
would appreciate a link to those analog stick covers too

was thinking HORI but it's out of stock T_T

nampad

Can anyone tell me if the game is uncut in the european region, specifically the german version of the game?

I own the german version and don't think it is cut, it is pretty bloody. Both KZ2+3 weren't cut so no need to be afraid.
The german digital version seems to be the same for whole Europe because it has English, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese and German as languages available. Wouldn't make sense to have all these on board for a german cut version.

DirtyLarry

Vita-Assist-Grip.jpg
What brand is this grip? Searching on Amazon for it, and I see some grips, but none of them look as good as this one.

sajj316

What brand is this grip? Searching on Amazon for it, and I see some grips, but none of them look as good as this one.

The HORI grip is pretty good but it seems unavailable on the Amazon US store. This is what I use.

Killzone .. my goodness. I can't stop praising this game. It's more Killzone 2 than 3 (which I like) and I LOVE the enemy AI.

DirtyLarry

The HORI grip is pretty good but it seems unavailable on the Amazon US store. This is what I use.

Killzone .. my goodness. I can't stop praising this game. It's more Killzone 2 than 3 (which I like) and I LOVE the enemy AI.
Even though I try to avoid them like the plague, I am going to go to Gamestop on my lunch break since they are less than a mile away from where I work and see what they have as far as grips. I actually brought my Vita to work again so I can bring it there and perhaps even try one out. Thanks for the reply.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Completed the first mission in KZ Mercenary and found that the items you purchase in the campaign mode carry over to the multiplayer. Now it makes sense why so many people had more equipment in multi on day one! You can veer off the path in campaign and find extra areas to "explore" with enemies/items/people to rescue. The first stage felt pretty solid, albeit a bit easy on normal. I think I'm going to try replaying it on veteran. Multiplayer has been great so far.

Leveling up is not like CoD, where it nets you better weapons and attachments, but rather gives you access to more loadouts. Everything appears to be available right from the start, but you have to earn money through campaign/multi to unlock it all. Besides the usual array of guns and grenades, there's different types of body armor available for purchase, plus the van-guard system, which deploys different types of mechs to assist you and other types of CoD killstreak-like bonuses.

My biggest complaint about the game is the touch screen elements. It's great that you can turn off a lot of it, but it's still forced when doing melee and when turning valves/arming remote bombs. It felt pretty awkward planting bombs on a tank during one battle, stopping to use both hands to rotate the image on the screen, while enemies were running and shooting at me. Ditto for attempting to use stealth and sneaking past an entire area, up to the door, only to find that it need to be hacked -via a touch screen mini game- and the time it took caused me to get noticed and shot up.

This is pretty much the first Killzone game that I've really sat down and played (I tried KZ2 at launch and hated the controls) and I'm really, really impressed with the former SCE Cambridge Studio's efforts. They've done such an amazing job in creating a console-like FPS experience on the go.

Cha

Not sure about all the other grenades, but you can carry 4 frags once you upgrade to the Supply armor that allows for more ammo. That was probably the best purchase I have made so far.

Did not know this. Thanks. I've always just looked at the armour stats, but never bothered to read the description. There is even armour that rewards you with more money. Interesting :)

Binabik15

I like the SP game a lot, even though the checkpoint sydtem fucked me over hard yesterday. If I have to destroy drones with Van-Guard, don't save the checkpoint after I shoot most of them down with my gun (only one porcupine missile), locking me where I could finish the mission, but always get a failure to finish the contract and thus tge mission. Argh.

Can't connet to PSN with my brother's German copy on my UK account, and Zavvi will take their sweet time delivering my copy, so no MP for me :/

GG need to do something about the Vulture Radar, that thing is OP i played several matches where the VR never stopped for the whole match it was like having the Blackbird form Black Ops all the time, i have been in both ends and its not fun both way >.<

Either make it high end reward or implement some kind of cool down other than that am absolutely loving the game been playing it all the time.

You can shoot it down. Every time I hear them say the enemy has one I run out and look for it

anddo0

Beat the game on Vet.

I thought it was good, not great. The graphics are the best thing it has going for it. The AI is also surprisingly better than most console games. It had some annoyances like the hacking. I didn't even bother with the intel terminals. And I hate that it was forced on you late game. The boss fight was also tired and cliche.
"I'm going to handle this myself", he then calls in wave after wave of mercs to help him... whatever happened to one on one boss fights? And was Benoit injected with some kind of super human drug? I thought that was just stupid. Shoot him down, shoot the fuel rod once, end boss fight with QTE. Instead they pull that bull shit.

Cornbread78

Wow, I must say, I'm on the 4th mission now and the game has been awesome. I mean, much better than you could imagine for a handheld game. It stacks up nicely with the console version. The weapons feel nice, the gameplay is smooth, graphics are beautiful, holy crap!...

Grisby

Going HUD-less is awesome. Was snapping so many pics. Even played a mp game that way and came in first! I recommend that gaffers at least try it for a couple of minutes (you can do all of the side touch stuff with the d-pad).

Also started the specific contracts for each level. It's a lot of and varies up the play style. A lot of fun.

DirtyLarry

Did not know this. Thanks. I've always just looked at the armour stats, but never bothered to read the description. There is even armour that rewards you with more money. Interesting :)
And those are the two armors I own. Both worth it, although I do prefer the ammo one a bit more. Those two extra frags make me a killing machine.

Tygamr

So my current rank is captain, yet the fourth load out has not unlocked, despite being for a lower rank. Anyone else experience this glitch? I really don't need it, but it really does bug me. Wonder if it will unlock once I get a high enough rank to unlock the fifth load out?

Can we talk about how freaking beautiful the Marketplace map is? And how awesome it is that you can see the palace burning in the background from KZ2.

This game is almost too good.

Snap, never noticed that detail!

KalBalboa

Banned
Depends on your space need. I think the digital version is pretty hefty in size and either way you are going to be downloading a 1 gig patch.

I've got a 32 gig, and can delete Uncharted I suppose, but yeesh, that's big.

The ~$4 discount is cool, thought.

Grisby

I've got a 32 gig, and can delete Uncharted I suppose, but yeesh, that's big.

The ~$4 discount is cool, thought.
Yeah, that's not bad. I've got a 32gb as well and it seems like most of the space is taken up by freaking patches. I stopped playing PS All Stars (mostly a casual player anyways) because the patches were so big.

I'm sticking with the STA52-SE. I prefer not to be seen on the radar when firing.
I think I tried the short burst one. I died a lot! It was hard to use. On consoles, those guns are fine but on the Vita, spraying bullets accurately works pretty well!
heavy machineguns all day every day. things even have sniper scopes for maximum efficiency :D
Which one is that? I got to try it next time.

jyoung188

Wow loving this game so far. Played the first 4 sp missions on normal and only a half an hour or so of mp (played a few hours of the ps+ beta). I'm going to head to gamestop to check out the grips they have, any suggestions of analogue stick covers? Are they worth it? I need all the help I can get, I'm kind of crap at these shooters :p

PSN ID: TortillaWarrior

Feel free to add me, no one on my current friends list is playing kzm.

Top Bottom