• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Bebpo

Banned
Mission 6 of this game with its bad, bad stealth section was terrible. Is the game going to get better or worse from this point on? I did the freefall section at the start of Mission 7 and it didn't seem that bad...

leng jai

The complains about level are completely founded. The game does an absolutely terrible job of showing you where to go naturally. Without the waypoints it would be virtually impossible to know where to go next half of the time.

Grinchy

Banned
This game just looks so awesome. I was going back through some random shots I took while I was playing and just kept getting surprised by how good it looked and how quickly I forgot how good it looked.

echoe5e8z.jpg

Smokey

Does the game not save on checkpoints? I just started the game and got a checkpoint. Had to run, so I figured it would save automatically when you reach a checkpoint. I get back home and I had to start chapter 1 from the beginning? Please tell me the game doesn't operate this way...?

I thought it was over. Why is it not over. :(

I really don't have the motivation to finish this last chapter. I will return this game tomorrow, maybe get AC4.

btw, the patched free fall in Chapter 8 was really easy and quite fun. If only the game's bigger problems could be fixed in a patch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does the game not save on checkpoints? I just started the game and got a checkpoint. Had to run, so I figured it out save automatically when you reach a checkpoint. I get back home and I had to start after 1 from the beginning? Please tell me the game doesn't operate this way...?

The game only saves at section breaks and between chapters, with the former not being obvious. They're usually after a cutscene or location change. I really hope they patch that. I have no idea why that and voice chat aren't in this game.

AppleBlade

Just finished the Campaign. It was a nice solid launch FPS. Visuals were nice and get me excited for the future since history says in a year or two we will have games that blow this already nice looking game out of the water.

My favorite thing about the campaign was the first 2/3's of the game. The setting/chapters had dramatically different locales. I appreciated the more open levels.

If the final 3 chapters were annoying with their hang out in this room and kill waves and waves of enemies repetition.

I think the game is easy to score. 7 to 8 out of 10 is the right score. Destructoid's 9 is clearly overrating the game but nowhere near as bad as Polygon's 5 which is absurd when compared to other games that score in that range on their site.

Calibus

Just finished it. Thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning till (mostly) the end.

Concerning the ending:
Seriously, what is up with unhappy endings where a main character dies? At this point, they are just as cliched and eye-rolling as happy endings. Scratch that, at this point, I would almost prefer happy endings.

But I digress. What else is there to say about the visuals? Saying a new Killzone game looks visually incredible is like saying water is wet.

I also do not see the complaints about the story. They set future installments up for a great storyline full of twists.

My only complaints lie in the checkpoint/save system as well as the sometimes unclear objectives. But many have already expounded on those. Enemy waves didn't bother me because they are practically a staple of Killzone games anymore. I could see where someone just coming into the series would be off put however.

If I had to grade it -- 8/10 easily, possibly even a 9. But then again I am a KZ fan to begin with.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished it. Thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning till (mostly) the end.

Concerning the ending:
Seriously, what is up with unhappy endings where a main character dies? At this point, they are just as cliched and eye-rolling as happy endings. Scratch that, at this point, I would almost prefer happy endings.

But I digress. What else is there to say about the visuals? Saying a new Killzone game looks visually incredible is like saying water is wet.

I also do not see the complaints about the story. They set future installments up for a great storyline full of twists.

My only complaints lie in the checkpoint/save system as well as the sometimes unclear objectives. But many have already expounded on those. Enemy waves didn't bother me because they are practically a staple of Killzone games anymore. I could see where someone just coming into the series would be off put however.

If I had to grade it -- 8/10 easily, possibly even a 9. But then again I am a KZ fan to begin with.

Ending spoilers:
Honestly getting to play as Echo and get revenge on Sinclair made it a much better ending. I didn't care about Kellan at all.

Problem with the games I saw:

- Level Design
- Free Fall levels (both of them) were Bad. First one was actually OK but the second one served no good purpose. The command to use Air Brake actually made the level fail. Not using Air Brake made me complete it.
- There is very poor sense of direction without the ability to explore. You have to play the game in a linear way point A to B but its very hard to know how to get from point A to B due to level design. If they had made the game less linear, the level design might have worked.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Just finished the campaign.

no hyperbole when I say this. But hands down the worst fps I have ever played. Resistance 2 is a masterpiece in comparison to this disgusting shit.

I would even go as far and say its one of the worst games I have played. It was boring, tedious, broken fucking mess.

the last 4 chapters.....are just beyond horrid. I cannot articulate or express in words how bad it was. So bad infact, that I am returning the game tomorrow for knack and I have lost complete faith in Guerrila.

my score. 4/10

Dazzler

Just got past the freefall section in Chapter 8

whoever thought that was a good decision needs their head examined

what a frustrating piece of crap

Calibus

Ending spoilers:
Honestly getting to play as Echo and get revenge on Sinclair made it a much better ending. I didn't care about Kellan at all.

It wasn't so much Kellan himself I cared about (at least not exclusively) as it was the chemistry between he and Echo that was building, as well as their mission of peace. They saw the Helghast/Vektan conflict for what it was, but apparently no one else did. I suppose a new cast of characters could come back in the next game and pick up where they left off, but still, I liked the Kellan/Echo parity. And who knows, Guerrilla could have developed Lucas into a stronger more sympathetic character in later installments, but it appears that it a moot point now.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Just played for a little time yesterday, and damn this game is punishing me on 'Normal' :D Didn't play a shooter on console for a looong time, I really might switch to 'easy' even if it's against my natural instincts.

Game looks amazing though, even on my poor 720p TV.

Jtrizzy

Played for about 3 hours tonight and it really changed my outlook on the game. I'm enjoying it, and it does look amazing at times easily the best in the series. I'm stuck on Chapter 6 though where you use the
emp grenades against the walking machine gun robot spider things then when you open the yellow door more guys with shields come out[\spoiler] I keep dying on this and am taking a break.

Just got all the single-player trophies. I'm never touching that part of the game ever again. Multiplayer, on the other hand, I will definitely be playing continuously.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I don't really understand the people saying that it's so hard on normal. 10-15 shots to down enemies? The only thing i can assume here is that it's crazy leg shots or something like that. As far as the bullet sponge quality to the enemies it's far and away better (if that's what you wanna call it) than 2 and 3. Very rarely did I need to put more than 4 or 5 shots into someone before they were down and out.

Coming back to the campaign a 2nd time really helps and after letting the whole game sink in and trying multiplayer a bit and then going back through the first few levels I have to say that while it is certainly no masterpiece it has definitely grown on me well. Some of the firefights you get into just feel so good.

Oh - and did anybody else die while hanging from the dropship the first time through that section? I was too busy watching missiles hit buildings and smoke trails look amazing and i completely missed the "Climb the rope, ya dummy!" prompt on the screen. Made me laugh :)

no hyperbole when I say this. But hands down the worst fps I have ever played. Resistance 2 is a masterpiece in comparison to this disgusting shit.

I would even go as far and say its one of the worst games I have played. It was boring, tedious, broken fucking mess.

the last 4 chapters.....are just beyond horrid. I cannot articulate or express in words how bad it was. So bad infact, that I am returning the game tomorrow for knack and I have lost complete faith in Guerrila.

my score. 4/10

Speaking of hyperbole, I'm really tired of it on here. These people call Uncharted 3 and Skyward Sword terrible games. So when an actual terrible game like this comes along, I still buy it despite the hate. Stop confusing me, GAF!

TEH-CJ

Banned
Speaking of hyperbole, I'm really tired of it on here. These people call Uncharted 3 and Skyward Sword terrible games. So when an actual terrible game like this comes along, I still buy it despite the hate. Stop confusing me, GAF!

Uncharted 3 is not a terrible game by any means. Its great, its just not Uncharted 2.

Killzone shadow fall campaign....is terrible.

viveks86

Played for about 3 hours tonight and it really changed my outlook on the game. I'm enjoying it, and it does look amazing at times easily the best in the series. I'm stuck on Chapter 6 though where you use the
emp grenades against the walking machine gun robot spider things then when you open the yellow door more guys with shields come out[\spoiler] I keep dying on this and am taking a break.
This is what I did, don't read if you want to figure it out yourself :)

The easiest way to kill the robot is to weaken the suspended container closest to it, draw it under the container, throw an emp on the robot to stop it in its tracks and shoot the cable to land the container on it's head.

After that, it shouldn't be difficult to dispatch the foot soldiers since you didn't have to spend much ammo on the robot at all. I moved far away from the elevator, scanned the environment frequently and picked them gradually, one after another.

I hope they don't listen to you. No offense but non stop combat is not what the series needs, we have countless of these shooters out several times a year now for almost a decade. Having them attempting to insert platforming, some puzzle elements, exploration, and stealth all into one game is a noble idea.

The game has issues, it's sloppy in the way it does a bunch of things, but I appreciate the scope and them trying to distance themselves away from the linear micheal bay presents corridor shooter. KZ2 reviewed today, would probably be getting shit all over it for how derivative it is. KZ2 was a solid polished game, but to just rehash the same linear shooter, as the reviews are showing for BF4 and COD series, it's getting tired. SF falls on its face in design decisions, but I have lot of respect and hope for what they have in mind and pray they keep going this direction with the series..

Agreed. Guerrilla, if you guys decide to make Shadow Fall 2, take chapters 2-6 from this game, flesh all of that out, abandon the long talky "Can't do anything but watch" cutscenes for 95% of the game, and make the whole thing real time with seamless transitions between chapters. Make the levels bigger with even more paths and reasons/rewards for exploration, more first person platforming, more traversal/navigation sections, etc. Keep the small, punchy encounters; and keep the weird industrial/electronic/droning soundtrack.

There are good intentions here that can be made into a great shooter campaign with lots and lots of polish.

Fnord

Like others have said the campaign was a lot of fun until that sky falling chapter (i think it was ch. 7 or 8). After taking 10+ tries at the sky falling part and the controls being horrible, I get into annoying gun fight with big alarm gun, a huge robot, and spiders everywhere while trying to find a piece of something to put into something. And once that's all done I get to do it again! But with two huge alarm guns and more robots. I said fuck it and haven't played since.

OWL. I made the mistake of taking on those spiders the first time I went through that area. When I died and had to start that section over, I realized the OWL made it cake.

Showaddy

Jesus those free fall levels were fucking easy, breezed through both on the 2nd attempt. So yeah thanks for hyping them up and making me dread those sections through my entire play through guys...

viveks86

Jesus those free fall levels were fucking easy, breezed through both on the 2nd attempt. So yeah thanks for hyping them up and making me dread those sections through my entire play through guys...

I'm not questioning your playing skills, but may be the patch did make it easier? I played it before and had zero complaints regardless. But it seems like they have tweaked the difficulty since.

no hyperbole when I say this. But hands down the worst fps I have ever played. 4/10

You lead a sheltered FPS life then. Cause I've played many far worse.
Hmm let's see...Secret Service, Duke Nukem Forever, Darkest of Days, Jurassic: The Hunted, Soldier of Fortune Payback, Rogue Warrior, Turning Point Fall of Liberty, History Channel Civil War...

KZ:SF is a very good shooter. Gunplay, music, graphics, story, multiplayer.
Solid game.

Timu

Just tried all the multiplayer maps, some good ones, some bad ones, but I still think Killzone 2 had the best maps in the series.

Fnord

I don't really understand the people saying that it's so hard on normal. 10-15 shots to down enemies? The only thing i can assume here is that it's crazy leg shots or something like that. As far as the bullet sponge quality to the enemies it's far and away better (if that's what you wanna call it) than 2 and 3. Very rarely did I need to put more than 4 or 5 shots into someone before they were down and out.

On that specific point, I can't help but think people are using the default rifle. Which is pretty terrible for anything but medium to long range sniping. It shoots a few rounds of bursts (which are weak, to boot) before it needs a reload, which takes for-frakin'-ever. There are some truly badass guns in the game, however, that make reasonably light work of non-turret enemies.

viveks86

On that specific point, I can't help but think people are using the default rifle. Which is pretty terrible for anything but medium to long range sniping. It shoots a few rounds of bursts (which are weak, to boot) before it needs a reload, which takes for-frakin'-ever. There are some truly badass guns in the game, however, that make reasonably light work of non-turret enemies.

Agreed. I used the default rifle only during random sniping or if I ran out of ammo on the secondary weapon. Standard foot soldiers never needed more than 5-8 bullets even on hard! I have no idea what 'bullet sponges' people are referring to. Heck, I have no idea what most of the complaints are about this game. It clearly had that 'rushed launch title' feel, but that was mostly the story, uneven pacing and abrupt transitioning between chapters. Gameplay seemed rock solid all the way. May be I just don't mind dying a lot.

Bebpo

Banned
Does the game not save on checkpoints? I just started the game and got a checkpoint. Had to run, so I figured it out save automatically when you reach a checkpoint. I get back home and I had to start after 1 from the beginning? Please tell me the game doesn't operate this way...?

The best way to do it is to constantly pause the game to see what section you're on when you feel you're getting near where you want to quit. Then anytime you enter a new area, see a cutscene, anything happens at all, pause the game and check the name of the section and see if you've entered a new one. Then you're safe to quit.

my score. 4/10

Man, and I thought the first 6 chapters have totally sucked already! Oh god, I am not looking forward to the rest of the game >_________<

And Resistance 2 comparison is really apt. R2 is the worst FPS I've ever played and this is definitely worse with the god awful level design and terrible design decisions. The only thing I like about the SP campaign is the story is interesting enough to carry it and the graphics are nice.

Fnord

Aside from a glitch (which I've mentioned earlier), and some seemingly frequent areas in the latter half of the game where there is no objective marker and/or in order to clear an area, you have to do something specific that is only mentioned quickly in dialogue that is crazy easy to miss, I mostly enjoyed KZ:SF. Until...
The (assuming here) last chapter. Playing as Echo was pretty badass outside of not having the OWL, which I'd been leaning on pretty heavily. Then I hit the area where you have to disable two alarms, grab the sniper rifle, and make your way to an elevated location to take out a target. I replayed that dozens and dozens of times. Eventually, I gave up. Much like I gave up on Killzone 2 on the final boss battle. I started that area the last time, and when something or other spotted me through my cloak again, and I was riddled with bullets from every direction, the screen was fading to black with blood red edges, it occurred to me that I wasn't having fun. At all. So I quit, ejected the game, put it back in its case, and while I was at GameStop picking up some Vita memory cards, asked what the trade-in value was (it wasn't in their computer).

But I was having a decent amount of fun up until that point. But then it was simply an exercise in frustration. No interest in multi-player, though I can definitely see how this would be a great MP game (the mechanics are exceptional).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Level design is appalling, I am constantly wondering where I have to go next or getting totally lost in a level. Even in the forest at the start, I had no clue where to go and that's a massive failure within level design. Let's direct you over to a bit by the river, but this is a dead-end. There is a 1 metre drop which kills you instantly and where do you go? Back where you came from down a hole in the ground. The levels should flow naturally and they do not in SF.
This is one of my favorite things about the game, actually.

I'm so tired of shooters which direct you forward at all times. There's nothing wrong with getting lost! This is something Bioshock Infinite really could have used, for instance.

Agreed. Guerrilla, if you guys decide to make Shadow Fall 2, take chapters 2-6 from this game, flesh all of that out, abandon the long talky "Can't do anything but watch" cutscenes for 95% of the game, and make the whole thing real time with seamless transitions between chapters. Make the levels bigger with even more paths and reasons/rewards for exploration, more first person platforming, more traversal/navigation sections, etc. Keep the small, punchy encounters; and keep the weird industrial/electronic/droning soundtrack.
Agreed 100%.

It has issues for sure, but there's a LOT of potential here and I really hope they continue to flesh it out. The world and atmosphere they've built is one of the most compelling I've experienced in a while and they clearly had a lot of interesting gameplay concepts.

I hope reviews don't discourage them. What worries me is that they have a history of "reacting to" criticism and making broad changes to the next game that ultimately spoil what they could have built. I hope that doesn't happen here.

I suspect that, as a launch title, it should actually sell quite well and warrant a sequel.

So, I wanted to turn off the gamepad speaker because my wife was sleeping next to me while I was playing. Now I cant hear audiologs alltogether? I just want them mixed into the normal audio? :(

Bebpo

Banned
This is one of my favorite things about the game, actually.

I'm so tired of shooters which direct you forward at all times. There's nothing wrong with getting lost! This is something Bioshock Infinite really could have used, for instance.

Eh, there's a difference between having to explore and having linear levels that just have TERRIBLE VISUAL DESIGN so paths don't stick out. There's one part mid-Chapter 5 where you have Echo and you're in a SINGLE ROOM, just a square box area and she's like "point at the grate and I'll shoot it", and just looking around trying to find the grate took me forever because visually it blended in with everything else. Plus it wasn't where a grate normally would be according to EVERY GRATE IN THE GAME TO THAT POINT which is on the ground against a wall. Very, very bad visual design and I don't mean the art direction which is nice.

So, I wanted to turn off the gamepad speaker because my wife was sleeping next to me while I was playing. Now I cant hear audiologs alltogether? I just want them mixed into the normal audio? :(

That's odd... But I suppose Shadow Fall is a tale of questionable decisions, isn't it?

Could you just plug the provided headset into the controller and have audio logs come through that?

That's odd... But I suppose Shadow Fall is a tale of questionable decisions, isn't it?

Could you just plug the provided headset into the controller and have audio logs come through that?

I could try that, but I already have headphones on, not really the best solution.
In Resogun the gamepad sound just gets mixed in with the other sound effects, as I expected for every game.

Still love Shadow Fall though! :D But I think this should be patched and not be repeated in other games...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eh, there's a difference between having to explore and having linear levels that just have TERRIBLE VISUAL DESIGN so paths don't stick out. There's one part mid-Chapter 5 where you have Echo and you're in a SINGLE ROOM, just a square box area and she's like "point at the grate and I'll shoot it", and just looking around trying to find the grate took me forever because visually it blended in with everything else. Plus it wasn't where a grate normally would be according to EVERY GRATE IN THE GAME TO THAT POINT which is on the ground against a wall. Very, very bad visual design and I don't mean the art direction which is nice.
I can't say I've had any issues with that, though. I know what you mean when you say that, but I really honestly haven't struggled with anything like that.

That specific part with the grate? I could agree with that, but I don't believe that applies to most of the game when it comes to figuring out where to go.

Bebpo

Banned
I can't say I've had any issues with that, though. I know what you mean when you say that, but I really honestly haven't struggled with anything like that.

That specific part with the grate? I could agree with that, but I don't believe that applies to most of the game when it comes to figuring out where to go.

Hmmm, yeah I might be overreacting a bit because I just got out of Chapter 5/6 through the Helgast Slums where everything was messy and confusing at times. The other chapters haven't been so bad in figuring out where to go. But 5/6 were a bit linear, yet labyrinth-y. Maybe a mini-map could've helped?

Hmmm, yeah I might be overreacting a bit because I just got out of Chapter 5/6 through the Helgast Slums where everything was messy and confusing at times. The other chapters haven't been so bad in figuring out where to go. But 5/6 were a bit linear, yet labyrinth-y. Maybe a mini-map could've helped?

You're not overreacting at all and it gets worse as the game goes on. I can't think of a game that has level design worse than this.

Zaibach

Banned
Holy shit the checkpoint/save system sucks balls. I'm tired of having to replay entire sections because the checkpoint/save is so damn far apart. Makes me want to stop playing. Just loaded up my campaign, saw I had to replay entire section over, closed application. Fuck that.

Save anywhere for Shadow Fall 2, please.

after all the complaints you'd think GG would have patched that. couldn't have helped review scores much.

Yeah, I think it's better to have checkpoint = savepoint.

It's funny to read all the complaints of people not knowing where to go. We've been so spoiled by games just simply pointing out the way to go with obvious light beacons, arrows, or direction markers at the press of a button. It's great in some ways, cause it's less frustrating. But in some cases, it also takes away a bit of the immersion. Killzone says: here is an environment that is new to you, there is the point you need to reach, you have to find a way to get there. Maybe we don't have the time or the patience for that anymore. But since i have the time now, i kinda like it.

Zen

Banned
Yup. Both games are 50/50 in terms of quality but for me the good parts of Shadow Fall are so much better and more fresh than the decent parts of KZ3. The parts of SF that weren't as good were just OK whereas the bad parts of 3 were really fucking bad.

Yeah the highs were higher and the lows weren't as low as in Killzone 3, plus 3 has terrible MP. I think it's easy to say that the campaign for ShadowFall is worse paced, and not as consistent as the one in Killzone 3, but it does a better job with presenting interesting ideas, and having good dialogue and characters. Killzone 3 was sooo bad in reguards to tone and characterization where as that's one of the things ShadowFall does well.

Looking back on it, Killzone 3 was really trying to attain the quick/dealty/responsive gunplay that we see in Killzone ShadowFall and Mercenary, but they're were trying to drag Killzone 2 kicking and screaming to get there and ended up with a Frankenstein.

Shadowfall may not have a ton of recoil like a lot of us wish it would, but the complet lack of auto aim gives the game a very weighty feel and really maximizes recoil that is there because fine movement isn't done for you anymore. It's the same idea but they took a different root to get there.

cormack12

Gold Member
Only on chapter 2 at the moment.

What's with the orange objective markers getting lost amongst the graphics? Needs to be more contrasty. Echo seems really crap as well. It's OK for a few metres but beyond that it's still a guessing game. If anything it makes it worse as you drop onto someone to melee them thinking it's safe then an AI is behind a pillar a yard or so away. Frustrating.

I like the gunplay and general style of the game. The openness of the levels aren't the problem, I think the root cause is that the patrols/enemies don't stick out as much. From what I've learned you literally have to wait 3-5 minutes on each ledge sussing out who is where etc.

Top Bottom