• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

after dying 12+ times on my first run through the freefall section in chapter8 I went and did a no death run on that section today. should have been this way at launch

Fnord

I'm up to Chapter 4. This game is a bit messy. I don't remember having to rely this much on the objective marker in previous games. Most of the time I have no idea where I am or what I'm doing, but it sure is pretty.

To me, this game looks more impressive than Killzone 2 did in 2009.

Wait 'til you get to the sections that don't have an objective marker...

It's the aim assist or lack thereof. Cod and other games basically make you feel like you are a better shot than you are. :)

CoD aims for you. Killzone doesn't.

It's not that. I'm not talking about when I aim at an enemy. It's just the responsiveness of the controls. It's not there in Killzone. Doing an ogre twitch just feels...slow and gross. I've played around with the sensitivity. Doesn't help.

I get that people like to rail on CoD for auto-aim, but the fact of the matter is that it's always had very tight, responsive aiming on consoles. Probably the best of any console FPS. That has nothing to do with auto-aim, it's all input to output. I just don't get why the Killzone series can't seem to get past crappy aiming.

boohowc

Banned
It's not that. I'm not talking about when I aim at an enemy. It's just the responsiveness of the controls. It's not there in Killzone. Doing an ogre twitch just feels...slow and gross. I've played around with the sensitivity. Doesn't help.

I get that people like to rail on CoD for auto-aim, but the fact of the matter is that it's always had very tight, responsive aiming on consoles. Probably the best of any console FPS. That has nothing to do with auto-aim, it's all input to output. I just don't get why the Killzone series can't seem to get past crappy aiming.
Get your point but not sure what an ogre twitch is lol

nib95

Banned
I know these seem so obvious, but posting anyway for those who don't play fps much.

To those who have Shadow Fall…

A few basic 101 tips…

- Use your OWL a LOT. Especially it's shield ability.
- Shoot in bursts and generally switch weapons instead of reloading.
- Swap your pistol for one of the other Assault rifles or shotties whenever you can.
- Press up on the d-pad constantly for checkpoint marker viewings.
- Hold right on the d-pad for a few seconds to see through walls (but not too long that it gives you away).
- In the dark areas, swipe up for OWL fire mode, and just keep pressing L1 to order him around. Then hold L1 to bring him back. He will be your guiding torch light.
- Stealth is better than all out guns blazing.
- Listen carefully for tasks. Sometimes you'll be fighting waves and waves of enemies unless you heard the command telling you what to do next (e.g. get in the ship).
- Crouch to use the cover system where you can. It will auto cover behind low walls.

Honestly, the OWL is key in this game. Else things become frustrating very quickly...

So... Finally, as a dutch person, i finally got to play a bit this morning. Just played till the beginnig of the forrest level, since i don't have much time, but it looks awesome and i love the slow carefull pacing.

So do you need playstation plus to play online? That sucks.. Was free on the PS3.

DemonNite

iNgLMnhC07eoK.gif

TEH-CJ

Banned
up to chapter 8....wow. guerrilla what the hell were you guys thinking with this campaign?. aside from chapter 4 the single player is a complete and utter disaster. I will give a more in-depth review once I have finished the game.

the multiplayer on the other hand is brilliant.

Just finished the game...

Some Chapters were amazing and very enjoyable and atmospheric..... But other chapters were just boring and annoying and just wanted to get through with them.

They nailed the perfect Single Player with KZ2, what happened here even the story telling were a mess.

The game could have turned out so much better than this..

And the ending, no comment.

ForestNinja

Neo Member
To the people who have played a lot of MP so far: do you think Shadow Fall is capable of having a long-lasting online community? Do you feel the MP is competitive?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
up to chapter 8....wow. guerrilla what the hell were you guys thinking with this campaign?. aside from chapter 4 the single player is a complete and utter disaster. I will give a more in-depth review once I have finished the game.

the multiplayer on the other hand is brilliant.
You didn't like chapters 5 and 6?

I'm honestly fascinated by the reactions to this game. Most polarizing title I've seen in a while. People either like it despite it's flaws or hate the shit out of it. I think this is one of those games where the issues are either minor for massive for depending on preferences.

GodofWine

To the people who have played a lot of MP so far: do you think Shadow Fall is capable of having a long-lasting online community? Do you feel the MP is competitive?

MP is the best part of the game. Its skill based, its intelligence based, and rewards people who do both of those things well.

Yes, it will have legs. People just need to spend a couple days with it to wash the "COD" out of their brains. Once you get past the fact you have to actually aim, and that carefully moving around the map is key (versus turbo scope sprinting and knifing), it really is so rewarding to play.

Its like COD and Socom had a baby that only got the good genes of both.

..they need to implement open voip though.

But as long as people dont blame the game for their initial trouble shooting people, and learn to burst fire and stay near teammates, i think people will fall for the MP.

edit: as I told a friend, i didnt buy a ps4 to play an up-ressed ps3 game, so I will be skipping COD for a couple years

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So, do those of us that pre-ordered the PS4 with Killzone:SF not get the pre-order bonuses? I was kinda hoping we would.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

It's very competitive since there's no aim assist and lots of customization options. I think it'll have a small but long lasting community.

jet1911

You didn't like chapters 5 and 6?

I'm honestly fascinated by the reactions to this game. Most polarizing title I've seen in a while. People either like it despite it's flaws or hate the shit out of it. I think this is one of those games where the issues are either minor for massive for depending on preferences.

The game is at it's best when you're fighting helghast human ennemies. Every other things you do is either broken or boring.

Where's my swap sticks option guerrilla you've had it in every game but this WTF?

I thought they added it in the latest patch?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Where's my swap sticks option guerrilla you've had it in every game but this WTF?

Patched in yesterday. If you started playing the game you probably didn't install the patch, just started downloading it. Quit and restart.

The game is at it's best when you're fighting helghast human ennemies. Every other things you do is either broken or boring.

Chapter 8 is the only one where you don't fight Helghast. Chapter 8 sucks.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Just played the first chapters after receiving my Euro-PS4 today. I thought that Ryse looked nice, but Killzone looks crazy.

witness

I only just started playing yesterday and I really like the multiplayer, its my kind of game. I love the support class, my drone helped me get to over 20 kills against other people. I assumed I was just going to get destroyed out there, but man it is a lot of fun. Single player is so far, so good. At the start of chapter 4.

jet1911

Patched in yesterday. If you started playing the game you probably didn't install the patch, just started downloading it. Quit and restart.

Chapter 8 is the only one where you don't fight Helghast. Chapter 8 sucks.

I know, but I'm not talking just about fighting ennemies.
The stupid "puzzle" section with those fucking generators, the zero G fights, the boss fight, the dumb story, etc.

Like I said I thought that everything that does not involve fighting breathing Helghasts was baaaaaaad.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The stupid "puzzle" section with those fucking generators, the zero G fights, the boss fight, the dumb story, etc.

Like I said I thought that everything that does not involve fighting breathing Helghasts was baaaaaaad.

Eh, I liked the exploration and
the boss fight was incredibly easy if you have a minigun. The zero G fights were just kind of pointless. I didn't dislike them but I didn't like them either.
I think this game just scratched a very specific itch I had in terms of a single player FPS.

Are you normally this harsh on FPS? People are complaining about the generator puzzle? Really?

I think people had some weird expectations for another military shooter not to mention rushed launch game.

Binabik15

That kid is going to get knocked out so hard by Mr. I-zipline-without-looking Shawow Marshall.

PS: I will have to wait until Dec 23 for Amazon to send me my KZ bundle :( I have a regular PS4 as well, should be coming today, but no KZ. At least Amazon will let me return either PS4 until after christmas, so I can play the non-bundle one with my other games.

Ricker

I am done with this game...awful last section with a barrage of ennemies,doors you have to hack with the Owl to keep them from coming but he gets shot so it's a non stop reload and try again mess...way too hard for it's own good(end of Chapter 9) and with the lousy checkpoint/save system,it's a pain in the ass...had fun with it but since I have no interest in multiplayer I am trading it in for Knack.

I guess I am just a sucker for atmosphere and exploration. I play on hard first time and I am enjoying myself a lot. I read a lot of great literature, poetry, etc. I didn't really expect John Barth behind the script here. Not sure why some people seem so horrified that the story is average. I mean, I haven't really even seen a decent FPS story since Deus Ex though I have some on my backlog.

Exploring level 2 with the one puzzle was pretty fun for me. I don't mind sections like that at all. Breaks up the shoot bang stuff perfectly for me. And the first level in this game was amazing.

Breaking into the weapons building reminded me so much of Commando lol. Was fantastic.

jet1911

Are you normally this harsh on FPS? People are complaining about the generator puzzle? Really?

I think people had some weird expectations for another military shooter not to mention rushed launch game.

Maybe? I don't know. I mean I played BF4 campaign a week before KZ and I thought it was kinda bad too. If the game had kept the feel of the first chapters it would have been a lot better I think.

Not sure why some people seem so horrified that the story is average. I mean, I haven't really even seen a decent FPS story since Deus Ex though I have some on my backlog.

It's not that the story is bad. It's that it does not make sense. Felt the same thing about BF4. It's like they thought about cool stuff they could make and then tried to stich all that with a story.

It's not that the story is bad. It's that it does not make sense. Felt the same thing about BF4. It's like they thought about cool stuff they could make and then tried to stich all that with a story.
I think it's pretty clear this is exactly what happened. GG is still treating the narrative the way devs did 10 or 15 years ago - a couple thoughts scribbled on napkins and pieced together. I mean, we're not expecting Ken Levine or Amy Henning type stuff here, but it would be nice if it at least felt like there were one or two professionals in charge of the over-arching story. Instead it feels like a group of level designers had a couple meetings to "fill in the blanks" between the cool stuff they've already decided to work on.

Had the game since launch and just now am getting into the campaign. I am actually enjoying it far more than I thought I would. Sure the story is lame but I dont really care about that, the gameplay is awesome. The owl adds a nice amount of depth to the combat and it really makes you feel like a badass when you clear an area of helgs utilizing it. Im at chapter 4 right now.

Maybe? I don't know. I mean I played BF4 campaign a week before KZ and I thought it was kinda bad too. If the game had kept the feel of the first chapters it would have been a lot better I think.

Yeah, no doubt, I get that. I just don't care at this point but I DO expect more real soon here from second gen games.

Beating BF4, COD, and KZ campaigns recently, I enjoyed KZ the best. BF4 was the worst by far. COD as usual was the most polished and it does it's thing better than anyone, but it was pretty awful on the CoD quality scale, and just was so much of the same hand holding interactive movie that the previous games were. KZ felt refreshing with the more open nature in many areas, some linear spots is to be expected for storyline purposes, but when it worked it worked. GG though was sloppy with it's story telling, some bad voice acting, and bone head design decisions in certain segments. All three games had issues, but this game at least tried to be unique and showed signs of greatness. I do hope more than anything they don't take the critique against the game and try to go back to completely linear COD clones that we got with KZ2 and 3. Nor do I hope that they take the critiques of some to make the next KZ into nothing but whizz bang explosions game, and keep the quiet segments of exploration/puzzles and stealth options present. I liked that they did attempt some platforming into the mix as well, I hope they can improve on that and not toss it out for the next one.

Just finished the game...

Some Chapters were amazing and very enjoyable and atmospheric..... But other chapters were just boring and annoying and just wanted to get through with them.

They nailed the perfect Single Player with KZ2, what happened here even the story telling were a mess.

The game could have turned out so much better than this..

And the ending, no comment.

There was nothing perfect about the sp in KZ2, jesus christ it was everything wrong with current fps. It was the most polished of the Killzone campaigns in how it played out, but it was incredibly linear and boring. KZ3 had potential to be better with more variety and excitement, but that fell flat due to rushed story telling and what felt like huge parts were left out of the game for some reason. Shadow Fall is sloppy, but it at least was trying to be different.

There was nothing perfect about the sp in KZ2, jesus christ it was everything wrong with current fps. It was the most polished of the Killzone campaigns in how it played out, but it was incredibly linear and boring. KZ3 had potential to be better with more variety and excitement, but that fell flat due to rushed story telling and what felt like huge parts were left out of the game for some reason. Shadow Fall is sloppy, but it at least was trying to be different.

KZ2 had better settings but they were all super linear and the gameplay was straightforward. SF has better campaign IMO

KZ2 had better settings but they were all super linear and the gameplay was straightforward. SF has better campaign IMO

I totally loved the variety of settings in SF. KZ2 was cool setting, but can only do that so many times before it's going to get boring. I liked that they attempted variety with KZ3 and SF.

IvorB

Does anyone know what the deal is with the weapon pick ups in this game? I found two awesome guns but the game doesn't seem to let me drop the shit weapon I started with. As a result I have to choose between them. No matter which weapon is selected when I press square to pick up, it never swaps out the OG weapon. I don't wanna leave this gun behind, man. Can anyone help?

drproton

Does anyone know what the deal is with the weapon pick ups in this game? I found two awesome guns but the game doesn't seem to let me drop the shit weapon I started with. As a result I have to choose between them. No matter which weapon is selected when I press square to pick up, it never swaps out the OG weapon. I don't wanna leave this gun behind, man. Can anyone help?

You always have that weapon in the campaign. It's also one of the best and most versatile.

If you pick up a minigun, though, you'll keep both of your previous weapons once you drop it.

Not letting you drop your main weapon was such a lame decision. I usually tried to avoid ever using it and because they didn't let you drop it, the game always felt like you didn't have much weapon variety available to you.

IvorB

You always have that weapon in the campaign. It's also one of the best and most versatile.

If you pick up a minigun, though, you'll keep both of your previous weapons once you drop it.

Oh snap. Alright. Thanks for the intel. Guess I'll have to leave one of them behind.

Top Bottom