• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Only on chapter 2 at the moment.

What's with the orange objective markers getting lost amongst the graphics? Needs to be more contrasty. Echo seems really crap as well. It's OK for a few metres but beyond that it's still a guessing game. If anything it makes it worse as you drop onto someone to melee them thinking it's safe then an AI is behind a pillar a yard or so away. Frustrating.

I like the gunplay and general style of the game. The openness of the levels aren't the problem, I think the root cause is that the patrols/enemies don't stick out as much. From what I've learned you literally have to wait 3-5 minutes on each ledge sussing out who is where etc.

The objective markers suck in this game. Badly.

Hold R on D-pad to use the magic enemies glow orange through objects function.

The Helghast don't stand out well when they are in your line of sight though, that's a problem I noticed throughout the game.

In general stealth works very badly in this game, it's easier to pick a guy and pop him in the head, which alerts the others, then you just get in a firefight and kill the rest.

Guys I need to kill an enemy from cover while zoomed out to get the ACOG. But I don't know what shooting from the cover is done. I've shot plenty of people while crouched down behind an object but it doesn't seem to count.

Please help!!!!!!!

KTallguy

Banned
Finished it!

Game does have some rough spots. Some parts feel way too hard, or just not tested thoroughly. The aforementioned grate thing is a great example. Some stuff that feels like common sense is not handled properly. Climbing stuff is so random that it's hard to know when you can/can't climb. Some of the flying parts are buggy or weird, and cause lots of random deaths. Sometimes I'm doing what the game wants but something wigs out and doesn't work. It just feels like it needed 1-2 more months of testing. Ending was very good though!

Jtrizzy

While I prefer this to the previous games by a huge margin, I do agree that the level design is a little confusing/different at times, but you can just press up to see the objective marker. Guerrilla just can't win, they give us more open levels and we complain about getting lost.

The game isn't perfect, but it's so much better than it's predecessors, and it has incredible graphics at a respectable frame rate.

cormack12

Gold Member
Guys I need to kill an enemy from cover while zoomed out to get the ACOG. But I don't know what shooting from the cover is done. I've shot plenty of people while crouched down behind an object but it doesn't seem to count.

Please help!!!!!!!

Crouch behind something then press 'Up' on the stick. You should sort of rest your gun on the top of the cover. Then shoot away.

You're not overreacting at all and it gets worse as the game goes on. I can't think of a game that has level design worse than this.

The otherwise awesome level The Doctor really suffers from completely pointless corridors that don't even yield anything, not even audiologs or items. I think it's also quite possible to make the puzzle in the middle of the level completely impossible to solve if you accidentally drop one too many of the fuses.

The atmosphere in the level is top fucking notch (god bless you, Lorn) but some of the design is incredibly frustrating.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, it has nothing to do with open level design being too complicated for my infant mind. Open is one thing; pointless is another. The forest level at the beginning is the same: it's not the fact that it's wide and open that frustrates me, it's the fact that the enemies simply don't stand out against the sun-soaked backdrop and appear from all sides. I'm having fun with the campaign, but the level design is not elegant.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just finished. Pretty awesome game. Far from perfect, but it was fun, engaging, and fucking stunning.

GG's first effort on the PS4 is astounding. Can't wait to see what this little system can pump out later on.

Dat ending.

Jtrizzy

I hope they can find a way to get to 50-60 fps for the sequel. The game really doesn't need much more in terms of effects etc.

Vitanimus

I really suck at this game, and that's playing on the campaign on easy. Kinda scared to jump into the MP now. At least the game is super pretty.

Jtrizzy

The variable rate isn't really bothering me as much as I thought it would. I'm not seeing a lot of stuttering or tearing so I can't complain too much. This game is definitely a face melter, but first person games really need to be 60. I'd pull the fov back some, turn the motion blur down a tad, run it 50-60 and it would be that much more insane.

That's odd... But I suppose Shadow Fall is a tale of questionable decisions, isn't it?

Could you just plug the provided headset into the controller and have audio logs come through that?

Jesus, can we stop making this game out to be a disaster or something half-rotten? There are very few major questionable decisions. Every FPS you have ever played has some bad acting and story. STOP acting like this game was supposed to revolutionize gaming. Geez people are insane about this game. Why does GG get all this criticism and BF4 gets none in the same areas. People literally barely even talk about that game besides the network issues. I just don't get it I really don't. It's almost like GG was on a different review scale than literally every other game out there. Why is the question?

Jesus, can we stop making this game out to be a disaster or something half-rotten? There are very few questionable decisions. Every FPS you have ever played has some bad acting and story. STOP acting like this game was supposed to revolutionize gaming. Geez people are insane about this game. Why does GG get all this criticism and BF4 gets none in the same areas. People literally barely even talk about that game besides the network issues. I just don't get it I really don't. It's almost like GG was on a different review scale than literally every other game out there. Why is the question?

People shit on BF4's campaign left and right, dude.

Also, since when has "well, other things are bad too!" ever been a defense against criticism, for anything?

Can someone please help me... I'm at what I think is the end of chapter 7 (last stand)

Scratch that... I had no idea there was a manable turret.. That helps IMMENSELY!

leng jai

Kinda depressing that people are saying the game gets worse in the second half. I haven't really enjoyed the first half at all.

Future

Definitely getting lost a lot. Environment blends everything together... Even objective icons are hard to see. Jumped to my death a few times at the start trying to figure out where the hell to go.

AI has no problem seeing of course. Shooting me perfectly through loads of shrub. Return fire but controls feel wonky and cannot aim all that well. i die. Use owl to revive, and then shot dead immediately after revival before my gun even appears. Watch some long ass lame animation of an enemy cheering.

Holding right on dpad to find dudes.... See no one. Take a few steps forward in the jungle and dudes everywhere. Wtf.

Stealthin around. Run up to a guy as he turns around and knife him immediately. Everyone alerted somehow, and alarm is set off

After dying a bunch of times and restarting at various checkpoints, I take a break to eat. Go to menu and do not see a save option. Get warning that unsaved progress will be lost on quit, and think thats fine since i died a few times and saw where the checkpoint was. Load from save near the start of the chapter and have to redo everything. It doesn't even remember the comic pages I found. WTF

What a horrible first impression. Damn. Feels tons worse than killzone 2 and 3. Finished that chapter but there was literally no fun to be had. Worst thing is that I can barely see anything: objective icons, enemies, path to objective, etc. Everything is so damn bright it's a chore to look around

Im upto chapter 5 and its been kinda average for me so far.
Plus I find it hard to know what I have to do and where to go sometimes.

But damn does this game look good.

Defently a keeper but not in the way that the gameplay is awesome but as to show off what the PS4 can do.

While I prefer this to the previous games by a huge margin, I do agree that the level design is a little confusing/different at times, but you can just press up to see the objective marker. Guerrilla just can't win, they give us more open levels and we complain about getting lost.

The game isn't perfect, but it's so much better than it's predecessors, and it has incredible graphics at a respectable frame rate.

People are just being stupid for the most part. Gamers are confused at what they want and don't want. And very entitled.

Is it killing them that OH NOES I am lost in Killzone? I mean, what, some people sound like they are in tears because they can't find an objective. First time gaming here? lol

I honestly can barely read some of the posts in here they are so ridiculous.

Only on chapter 2 at the moment.

What's with the orange objective markers getting lost amongst the graphics? Needs to be more contrasty. Echo seems really crap as well. It's OK for a few metres but beyond that it's still a guessing game. If anything it makes it worse as you drop onto someone to melee them thinking it's safe then an AI is behind a pillar a yard or so away. Frustrating.

I like the gunplay and general style of the game. The openness of the levels aren't the problem, I think the root cause is that the patrols/enemies don't stick out as much. From what I've learned you literally have to wait 3-5 minutes on each ledge sussing out who is where etc.

Wow, just like a real spy operative. Who would have thought? It isn't really true though. You can get a good overview of most encounters from certain spots. It certainly doesn't take 3-5 minutes on each one.

Business

Well I'm on chapter 2 in this game and honestly, I don't like it.

I'm finding myself constantly struggling to understand what I'm supposed to do next, going back and forth as I try to find every possible switch or whatever that will let me advance a bit more before I get stuck again. One thing is exploration, which I may enjoy, and the other is this, which in my opinion is just bad design, just not fun. The gunplay itself is nothing to write home about either, the stealth doesn't seem to work very well and the IA seemed pretty dumb so far.

Also I personally don't see what's so awesome about the graphics either. I'm on chapter 2 and the setting and the texture quality reminds me very much of RAGE's final level. Up close the texture resolution in KZSF seems as bad as RAGE's ID tech 5 megatextures, minus the slow loading. I took some screenshots while I had nothing better to do trying to find my way out of the corridors but PS4 will only let me upload them into facebook or twitter, do I need a USB stick?

Loomba

Whoever designed Chapter 3 needs to be fired, holy shit.

Pitch black with no light support except the OWL which is near useless, corridors and doorways that lead to nothing, everything looking the same, can't distinguish doorways or hallways at all. Don't even get me started on the power core stuff. I was getting a huge migraine by the end of it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'm finding myself constantly struggling to understand what I'm supposed to do next, going back and forth as I try to find every possible switch or whatever that will let me advance a bit more before I get stuck again.

I had the same issue. It is not really obvious what you are supposed to do. For instance,
I tried to figure out how to detonate the charge that I placed on the crashed vehicle. Maybe I missed the hint that it's supposed to blow up at the end. The path to that elevated base on the mountain side was also not obvious. And those teleporting stealth snipers can be a pain in the ass in a level where you are still trying to figure the gameplay out.

IMO, the levels get better.

I also have to give Guerrilla some credit for the characters and the story. While it is nothing too special, it's much better than in previous installments.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What games do you guys play that you were getting lost in this? The areas were all uniquely detailed so it was easy to get your bearings based on landmarks and even if I didn't know where to go, it never took me long to get there and I was able to take in the environments and find weapon caches, making the combat much easier.

cormack12

Gold Member
Hmmmm thank you for the reply. But if I press up then won't the guy try to keep walking forward??
I'll try it tomorrow.

No, crouch behind cover then press up - your player will 'peek' then rest his gun on the cover.

Wow, just like a real spy operative. Who would have thought? It isn't really true though. You can get a good overview of most encounters from certain spots. It certainly doesn't take 3-5 minutes on each one.

Hmmm, not if you play it properly. You need to reccy each encounter because sometimes the alarms are tucked away/obscured until you've done the recon and intel gathering. Just up to the chapter we saw at E3 etc.

All this is pointing to intense hand holding and fucking massive signs saying GO HERE in the future lol. You guys are funny. I mean, I have never seen so many gamers up in arms about the most trivial things. This thread is definitely entertaining.

I wasn't sure what to do at one point. I hate this game. The hive mind is so gracious here.

That is fine I guess but if I ever see you guys in a thread about games being too linear I am going to poop my pants.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
It's a shame multi is no where near locked 60fps. And there are some maps where i can't see shit because of all these unneeded effects. The forest and raining night areas are the worst. CoD looks and performs so much cleaner/better :'(

Waisted opportunity.

I don't like this trend in shooting games where you have to sneak around and you are dissuaded from engaging enemies. Maybe because the first real FPS I got into was Halo, but I really hate this idea that the best way to do things is to sneak around and kill people silently otherwise you will get an unending stream of enemies.

On another point theres also an uncanny valley style effect where because of all the emphasis on the graphics, the occasions when the graphics looks bad stand out much more.

I found chapter 2 to be incredibly frustrating and just not fun. Chapter 3 was pretty terrible too. This game looks amazing for a console game, but the actual game play is not good. I'm guessing I'll hate the rest of the game too, this is my first Killzone and I must admit I've never really paid much attention to the series but now I see why. It's such a shame that there's nothing to play on the PS4 besides military shooters, sports games and Assassins Creed, none of which I'm into at all or could play elsewhere on PC or whatever. I love the hardware, and the dashboard/UI is a lot simpler and better than the Xbox One's in my opinion but I was hoping to not have to wait half a year for one good game to play.

It's a shame multi is no where near locked 60fps. And there are some maps where i can't see shit because of all these unneeded effects. The forest and raining night areas are the worst. CoD looks and performs so much cleaner/better :'(

Waisted opportunity.

No one is going to miss you fortunately. COD is a pile of crap and does not in anyway look better that this at any point in MP. That's just a straight up lie. It is posts like these that make me think half this thread is just trolling lol.

Waisted opportunity.

COD? Bwhaha. Come on now.

nib95

Banned
Been playing this solid for over 10 hours now and I am at the point of nearly giving up on it. It's one of the most disappointing, frustrating and generally weak first person shooters I have played in a very long time. I can totally see where the 5 and 6 review scores are coming from now, it's just not a very good game at all.

Level design is appalling, I am constantly wondering where I have to go next or getting totally lost in a level. Even in the forest at the start, I had no clue where to go and that's a massive failure within level design. Let's direct you over to a bit by the river, but this is a dead-end. There is a 1 metre drop which kills you instantly and where do you go? Back where you came from down a hole in the ground. The levels should flow naturally and they do not in SF.

What THE FUCK is up with the games difficulty? It's ridiculous. Enemies take 15+ rounds to kill and a weapon only holds 30 per clip, and the enemies themselves are very very tough, even early on. I am playing on Normal difficulty and I have generally struggled my way through the game. Checkpoint placement isn't great either, with some very unforgiving sections later on in the story mode.

The graphics are lovely, and when it runs at 60 its fantastic, but the character models aren't up to much, and the camera is still at about 3ft tall. I was really hoping they would fix the camera height, it bugs the shit out of me.

Controls feel great, mostly helped with the less weighty weapons now and the Dual Shock 4 is a great piece of kit. The owl is handy but fiddly to use, but the shield is really handy obviously.

Story is all over the place, and with no cutscenes or clear narration, when levels jump from forrest to zero-gravity to a flashy city, you wonder what the fuck is going on. It's awful, and the characters, story and premise is just not exciting at all. It's like Halo never happened.

I will probably finish the game, I think I am near the end (
just took a scientist back to base and the Helghast are attacking us in ridiculous battle
), but I am very very glad I bought it on disc so I can ditch it off as soon as possible.

This basically sounds like you want the game to be easier and have more hand holding. Such a shame hardcore old school shooters like this will soon be a relic of the past, replaced with more funneled, linear or obviously guided and follow the pin precision white line marker type ones.

Use your OWL a lot more, and just explore the levels a bit the way you used to get lost in games like Doom etc.

This basically sounds like you want the game to be easier and have more hand holding. Such a shame hardcore old school shooters like this will soon be a relic of the past, replaced with more funneled, linear or obviously guided and follow the marker type ones.

Use your OWL a lot more, and just explore the levels a bit the way you used to get lost in games like Doom etc.

I for one hope that GG is just not paying attention to these people. At some point games are just all going to be RYSE.

If you have problems with Chapter 2 you need to get a guide and just follow a guide or simply get better at games. It's that simple.

Some of this trolling is getting too obvious. Are Xbox fans having a bad day for some reason? Another DF come out?

BajiBoxer

Banned
I've done very little sneaking around, and only had to deal with unending enemies in the woods so far. Not sure I understand the complaint. I'm on Ch. 7 now btw. Sneaking has actually been a pretty poor option up to this point due to the way the enemy ai reacts.

Business

I had the same issue. It is not really obvious what you are supposed to do. For instance,
I tried to figure out how to detonate the charge that I placed on the crashed vehicle. Maybe I missed the hint that it's supposed to blow up at the end. The path to that elevated base on the mountain side was also not obvious. And those teleporting stealth snipers can be a pain in the ass in a level where you are still trying to figure the gameplay out.

IMO, the levels get better.

I also have to give Guerrilla some credit for the characters and the story. While it is nothing too special, it's much better than in previous installments.

Had the very same issues you put on spoilers.

I hope I will enjoy more the next chapters, I don't have anything else to play on PS4 anyway.

Flayer

Been playing KZ4 for the since I got my PS4 yesterday, really awesome game. The single-player is surprisingly challenging and I'm really enjoying it. It's got that next-gen feel. Only dipped my toes in the water of multi but feels good so far.

Showaddy

I'm not questioning your playing skills, but may be the patch did make it easier? I played it before and had zero complaints regardless. But it seems like they have tweaked the difficulty since.

Heh maybe. If it helps as well I recently completed God of War 3 and Killzone's free fall sections play almost exactly the same as GoW 3's Icarus Vents.

I've done very little sneaking around, and only had to deal with unending enemies in the woods so far. Not sure I understand the complaint. I'm on Ch. 7 now btw. Sneaking has actually been a pretty poor option up to this point due to the way the enemy ai reacts.

I actually agree with this on Hard. I thought stealth was gonna be a little bit more available but quite honestly it doesn't bother me much. I just take it as you can sneak around and have fun but don't forget this is Killzone not MGS.

nib95

Banned
I for one hope that GG is just not paying attention to these people. At some point games are just all going to be RYSE.

If you have problems with Chapter 2 you need to get a guide and just follow a guide or simply get better at games. It's that simple.

Pretty much. I mean, you get lost a little bit. But only in a, explore a bit and find out where you need to be type way. I mean hell, he's not going to know exactly where to go all the time is he? And yea, honestly do feel like we're going to be in for more derivative and over easy games given some of Shadow Fall response.

Personally I'm finding the game refreshingly difficult (compared to other shooters only that is, its still pretty easy overall) and quite old school in level design. And I like that.

I don't think they should make the next one more linear or easy, I just think they should offer more incentives to explore. Parts, money, and weapons and armour upgrade system etc.

Carbonox

On chapter 7 at the moment - is this the one everyone complained about? Bearing in mind I haven't finished the chapter yet but I think I'm near...

The freefalling part was pretty cool and I only died twice.
Currently on the giant battle where you gotta defend the hut with the scientist. This is fucking difficult and I've died a few times already.

bonesquad

Finished the game. And while the game is no where near as bad as some have it, I didn't like Shadow Falls. I don't quite get the complaints about not knowing what to or do where to go outside a couple parts of the game,
most notably the end of chapter 7 where they need to make it MUCH clearer there's a turret available, half my deaths the entire game probably happened at just this part
, but the game has plenty of other issues. Chapter 8 is a total mess. The opening freefall is the least of its problems IMO. It's a shame the 20% of this game that is annoying/frustrating/terrible outshines the good parts and the game's mechanics which I really like. But at the end of it all, the bad parts are what I remember most.

I'm enjoying the single player. It's not amazing, but it's better than COD and BF 4 for example.

I don't get the complaints. Press up in the DPad and it tells you where you need to go. If you don't know how to reach it... man, maybe you should blush a little. Also headshots > all else, and use the OWL because you need it.

Top Bottom