• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

ST2K

I've kind of reached the point where I think they should probably completely re-evaluate KFG.

It doesn't seem like they really know what to do with a non-topical video game show. And I think that's fair, because I'm not sure what you could do with it either. I enjoyed the podcasts that just discussed the state of an individual genre, but I'm not sure how repeatable that type of thing is for a weekly show. Bringing on guests could certainly help with adding fresh perspectives, but I just can't help but wonder what they could talk about that would be consistently interesting. They could have regular "spoilercasts" about games they all played. For example, having Tim, Greg, Nick and some guest talk about MGSV in-depth would've been cool. But I doubt they could do that consistently for multiple releases due to their busy schedules and differing tastes. I simply can't think of a way to make a weekly non-topical game podcast work with what they do.

I also still think they should make less "Let's Plays" of 15 minute quick impressions of things, and do more actual Let's Plays of games where they sit down and play through a game over a longer period of time. I just don't get much out of the former, personally. I don't know if it's just me or not, but I'm not sure what they're for. Is it a functional preview of the game to give their impressions and highlight the game? I don't think it does that well. Is it to entertain by watching them goof around? I don't think the style of the videos gives much room for that. Meanwhile, I can't think of a much more potentially entertaining video series than, say... Nick and Tim playing through Pokemon Red.

And while PS I Love You XOXO is great news as a big fan of old Beyond, I do think it's telling that one of the first things I thought of when I heard the news was "Oh, I wonder if I should just stop pledging to the KFG Patreon and switch it over to the Kinda Funny Patreon now..."

Am I just crazy and/or cynical or does anyone else feel this way? I don't want to make it seem like I'm just hating on what they're doing, but it's a genuine bummer that KFG is the way it is right now, in my opinion.

sora87

I too would like them to pick a game and play it through, the quick look Let's Plays work for some games but for others it's just totally pointless. However, I'm pretty sure Colin said when they return to a game they get a pretty big drop in views, so maybe that's why they haven't pursued that idea.

I've kind of reached the point where I think they should probably completely re-evaluate KFG.

It doesn't seem like they really know what to do with a non-topical video game show. And I think that's fair, because I'm not sure what you could do with it either. I enjoyed the podcasts that just discussed the state of an individual genre, but I'm not sure how repeatable that type of thing is for a weekly show. Bringing on guests could certainly help with adding fresh perspectives, but I just can't help but wonder what they could talk about that would be consistently interesting. They could have regular "spoilercasts" about games they all played. For example, having Tim, Greg, Nick and some guest talk about MGSV in-depth would've been cool. But I doubt they could do that consistently for multiple releases due to their busy schedules and differing tastes. I simply can't think of a way to make a weekly non-topical game podcast work with what they do.

I also still think they should make less "Let's Plays" of 15 minute quick impressions of things, and do more actual Let's Plays of games where they sit down and play through a game over a longer period of time. I just don't get much out of the former, personally. I don't know if it's just me or not, but I'm not sure what they're for. Is it a functional preview of the game to give their impressions and highlight the game? I don't think it does that well. Is it to entertain by watching them goof around? I don't think the style of the videos gives much room for that. Meanwhile, I can't think of a much more potentially entertaining video series than, say... Nick and Tim playing through Pokemon Red.

And while PS I Love You XOXO is great news as a big fan of old Beyond, I do think it's telling that one of the first things I thought of when I heard the news was "Oh, I wonder if I should just stop pledging to the KFG Patreon and switch it over to the Kinda Funny Patreon now..."

Am I just crazy and/or cynical or does anyone else feel this way? I don't want to make it seem like I'm just hating on what they're doing, but it's a genuine bummer that KFG is the way it is right now, in my opinion.

Agree with most of what you said, I've unfortunately not been watching as much of their stuff lately for all those reasons. I absolutely loved Greg's MGSV review and would have liked to see everyone discuss it, but like you said with schedules and tastes it's probably hard for 3 of them to all beat a game in a timely fashion and discuss it.

A series of Lets Plays going through an entire game would be fantastic and something I'd watch. Remember how great Brian/Greg's Minecraft play at IGN was? You got to see them go from not knowing how to play (Greg punching trees) to building awesome stuff. Progression is fun

Choomp

Banned
Here's my thing, is it even necessary to have a separate Kinda Funny and Kinda Funny Games? Do they have too much content that they don't want stuff getting lost in the channel? I feel like mixing games and off topic stuff would be fun, I'm just kind of interested as to why there's two different things. (I'm sure there are good reasons)

ST2K

Here's my thing, is it even necessary to have a separate Kinda Funny and Kinda Funny Games? Do they have too much content that they don't want stuff getting lost in the channel? I feel like mixing games and off topic stuff would be fun, I'm just kind of interested as to why there's two different things. (I'm sure there are good reasons)

The official reason is that they started KF when they were under an agreement with IGN not to talk about games. They then were able to talk about games, and figured they'd make a Patreon for people who didn't care about their shenanigans outside of games.

With hindsight being 20/20, I think the type of people that were going to support them on Patreon weren't going to be indignant about their money going to non-games coverage.

I too would like them to pick a game and play it through, the quick look Let's Plays work for some games but for others it's just totally pointless. However, I'm pretty sure Colin said when they return to a game they get a pretty big drop in views, so maybe that's why they haven't pursued that idea.

As far as I know, Colin was basing that opinion off that NHL tournament series with his college buddies. And to claim that a old sports game tournament featuring people the audience doesn't know is a fair sample for ongoing content is... sus. They really haven't given a shot to the longform playing of a game in its entirety.

You should post your thoughts in the topic that Tim made on the forum if you haven't already. http://kindafunnyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4280&sid=adb7d7a99f18d2180f0ed9862f112bd2

As far as I know, Colin was basing that opinion off that NHL tournament series with his college buddies. And to claim that a old sports game tournament featuring people the audience doesn't know is a fair sample for ongoing content is... sus. They really haven't given a shot to the longform playing of a game in its entirety.

Well to be fair, that is actually the case with the vast majority of ongoing "part by part" lets plays. The ones that I've seen anyway.

Karu

I honestly hate long form Lets Plays, granted I'm not the biggest fan of short LPs either.

Your Gamescast critic is valid, though.

On the forum thread over at the official forums where Tim asked for suggestions, I suggested maybe shift the Gamescast to a monthly show, since it rarely deals with breaking news. I also said on special occasions where there is a lot of content (i.e. around E3) do multiple in a month.

ST2K

You should post your thoughts in the topic that Tim made on the forum if you haven't already. http://kindafunnyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4280&sid=adb7d7a99f18d2180f0ed9862f112bd2

Thanks, but that thread is asking for ideas to improve the Gamescast. My post doesn't really have any ideas to improve it. I'm not sure that would be the best place to post it.

And to your point EdReedFan20, I don't think a (mostly) monthly podcast is fair to the Patreon KFG supporters.

More Alfredo on KFG wouldn't go amiss. He seems more intune with Xbox than any of the guys there, is interesting to listen to, and offers a different (competitive) perspective. May help freshen it up.

Also the banter with Tim.

Choomp

Banned
Guys, this week's prize pack is probably the best one yet. Borderlands Vita/Persona 4 DAN special edition makes it amazing on it's own, plus the other stuff.

The Patreon exclusive monthly episodes of GameOverGreggy/Gamescast are up.

Edit: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9uWlFcK.png

I don't always post in here as much as I'd like, but I wanna reiterate how awesome you guys are.

I check in on the Facebook community maybe once a week and it's quickly turned to shit. I guess that's inevitable when you grow big enough, but hopefully the KF community at large manages to maintain the spirit of friendliness and tolerance that it's built on.

I don't always post in here as much as I'd like, but I wanna reiterate how awesome you guys are.

I check in on the Facebook community maybe once a week and it's quickly turned to shit. I guess that's inevitable when you grow big enough, but hopefully the KF community at large manages to maintain the spirit of friendliness and tolerance that it's built on.

Hopefully my PS I Love You XOXO thread will drive some traffic here.

Mezoly

The Facebook community is IGN comments level of posts. Not really surprising considering a lot of the fans came from IGN.

sora87

The Facebook community is IGN comments level of posts. Not really surprising considering a lot of the fans came from IGN.

It's alright, but it has lots of overly sensitive people who cry to a mod if anything offends then, which is sad.

MattyG

Banned
I just listened to the September Patreon exclusive GoG and immediately had to take a shit. Hearing the guys discuss it for 45 minutes really coaxed it out of me.

Choomp

Banned
Yea this is why I never got into GiantBomb.

I'm not into these 2-3 hour podcasts. Shu or not.

I'm with this. Even with the GOG show or the Gamescast and any of the GB shows I'll only watch part of it, or with KF some of the segmented videos in YouTube. I don't have a problem with it, I think it's just a problem with me because I don't have as much time for this stuff as I used to.

I spend a lot of my time actively doing stuff, or in transit enough to the point where even when keeping up with all of their stuff (I even download the VODs to each C&G Live episode) I will still almost always run out of content to listen to by the end of the week.

Well except Let's Plays. I watch some of them but not all.

I'm having a hard time seeing how people could think 2.5 hours is too long to be honest. Unless you're saying a 2.5 hour long podcast on top of the other KF content (or whatever else you might keep up with) is too much for you, but by itself?

notaxation

Neo Member
Damn, that's excessive. I know they don't want to be artificially cut off, and that they're still finding their pace with this show, but I don't have time to listen to a podcast that long. I'll take it in pieces to manage it, but that is seriously too long.

With all due respect, I'll never understand the complaint that a free online show is "too long," especially when we clearly keep an eye on the combination quality banter, news, and information on this show in particular. People used to complain that Beyond was too short!

The good news for you (and others who agree) is, as I've said, these first two podcasts will fall outside of the mean when it comes to overall show length. I really do think they'll settle into the ~90 minute territory. But we don't want to have any artificial cut offs, as you mentioned. I think they'll skew longer for a while until we run out of shit to talk about.

We're trying to give y'all as much high quality content as we can. That's our goal. So if a show is too long for you, your best bet is to jump around and find that content (or that segment) that you really want to delve into, and leave the rest unlistened to. You won't offend us. =D

MattyG

Banned
I think the length is great. Like Colin said, there's content on the channel that is shorter if that's what you need, but longer form stuff like this is great. I've really missed setting aside 2 or so hours each week for Beyond, so this is like a dream come true for me.

And really, just pause it if you can't do it one sitting. That's what I've been doing if I have to go do something.

With all due respect, I'll never understand the complaint that a free online show is "too long," especially when we clearly keep an eye on the combination quality banter, news, and information on this show in particular. People used to complain that Beyond was too short!

The good news for you (and others who agree) is, as I've said, these first two podcasts will fall outside of the mean when it comes to overall show length. I really do think they'll settle into the ~90 minute territory. But we don't want to have any artificial cut offs, as you mentioned. I think they'll skew longer for a while until we run out of shit to talk about.

We're trying to give y'all as much high quality content as we can. That's our goal. So if a show is too long for you, your best bet is to jump around and find that content (or that segment) that you really want to delve into, and leave the rest unlistened to. You won't offend us. =D

I think it's reasonable to be surprised that people are saying it's too much, but allow me to make a slight distinction. It's not too much, it's too long. It's like the difference between binge watching a dozen episodes of Parks & Rec or plunking down for the extended cut of Watchmen or Lord of the Rings. At several points in my P&R binge, I could have stopped and moved on to something else, but you can't really stop Watchmen or LotR midway through.

I fucking love Watchmen and Lord of the Rings each. I've been hankering to view Watchmen again for a couple months now, but I just haven't found the time. There's a time and a place for long-format entertainment, but it's fewer and further between.

The Game-Over Greggy Show is often around two hours, but it's very neatly broken into digestible chunks. It's much more accessible because of that. Honestly, the vast majority of content I consume is an hour or less. Even most of my gaming sessions tend to last half an hour to an hour. That's just where I'm at in life right now.

I think it's extremely tacky to complain about free stuff, so I don't want that to be what this looks like. I'm just trying to give my perspective and impart that it overwhelms me. If it continues to be a problem for me, I just won't listen to the podcast, and that's okay. There are plenty of other people for whom that length is great, and I'm very happy with plenty of other KF content.

I will be absolutely stunned if there are no articles spawned out of your Shu interview, especially regarding the PGW info and the Sony Bend info. I would seriously crack-up if some pop up tomorrow and you jokingly decide to talk about them on C&GL as if they were news bits that are new to you.

Portugeezer

Yea this is why I never got into GiantBomb.

I'm not into these 2-3 hour podcasts. Shu or not.

My problem with Giantbomb's length is that it's mostly filler with them making inside jokes and talking crap I don't care about (usually non-gaming related).

Colin and Greg have been known to do that before, but in this episode it was mostly news, Shu interview, and some questions for like 30 mins. No BS.

Ayy Colin, I was just listening to the latest Gamescast and didn't realize you lived so close to me! Smith Haven Mall is great, I used to go there when I went to Stony Brook University hahahah

Right now I'm living in Nassau and hating every moment of this changing weather.. I bet you're loving that Cali weather man! But that's funny though, small world ;b

sora87

I feel like I've not watched any of their other stuff except for PS I Love You in weeks because of annoying guests... and now they have fucking adam sessler coming on. Bad times.

Top Bottom