• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Oh come on! I listen to Colin and Greg Live every single day. Since launch. I haven't missed a minute of it. But I take my lunch at 12:30 every day, and watch via archive. And waht do I get for my dedication? A fucking slap in the face from Colin, and spit on my sandwich from Greg. Oh and missing audio because someone wanted to listen to a 311 video. To me, it's just disrespectful to anyone who's a dedicated listener but can't make the live broadcasts. Especially, when in recent episodes, their attitude before playing music has been "well you should have been listening live". It's just very annoying and disappointing. Colin, Greg, Porty, just because I take my lunch at LUNCH time does not make me a second class best friend!!!! FULL AUDIO FOR ALL!!!

I almost always listen to C&G live by the archived videos as well. There was about a 15 (?) minute or so chunk that was muted, but I dunno. It didn't bother me too much since I've never seen that happen before. Not like it's super frequent. I must have missed where Colin and Greg addressed the issue though.

Choomp

Banned
The Extra Life stream was so fun! Extra Life has always been my favorite thing and Kinda Funny is one of my favorite gaming outlets, watching a stream, going to sleep and then waking up to them still playing is really cool, not to mention the great cause it's for: Hope they continue to do it for years to come because that was one fun time

I'm just now getting into these podcasts and enjoying them quite a bit. However, this latest episode with "Special Guest", Alex Aziz, is killing me. I know this dude is a Patreon donator but I can't stand hearing this guy talk. Sounds like he's talking to hear himself talk. Offers nothing interesting to the conversation.

Sorry for the rant but this dude is murdering this episode.

@Wreck

I'm just now getting into these podcasts and enjoying them quite a bit. However, this latest episode with "Special Guest", Alex Aziz, is killing me. I know this dude is a Patreon donator but I can't stand hearing this guy talk. Sounds like he's talking to hear himself talk. Offers nothing interesting to the conversation.

Sorry for the rant but this dude is murdering this episode.

I had no problems with him what nice to hear actually

Well I could see why people wouldn't. The guests almost never have the same chemistry as the other guys do with each other. I don't think it would be an easy thing to just jump into an episode of their podcast and stay on the same page as them. Though, I do like seeing people get in there and give it their best lol.

Well I could see why people wouldn't. The guests almost never have the same chemistry as the other guys do with each other. I don't think it would be an easy thing to just jump into an episode of their podcast and stay on the same page as them. Though, I do like seeing people get in there and give it their best lol.

Yeah, I get the lack of chemistry part. I just felt like his points were uninteresting and just talking in circles. Wanted to talk about college too much and about the "crazy" stuff they did without actually saying anything. I dunno, I'm too old I guess. Haha

Myggen

It's a shame that no one on staff is capable of coming up with good arguments and countering Colin's arguments when they discuss politics. It was frustrating to just have Colin rant in a hyperbolic fashion about political correctness for that whole video without much challenge, more or less. Points he's made time and time again.

Myggen

Aisha Tyler was awesome on the gog show, she certainly challenged Colin's views

I'm more talking about the regulars here. Sure there's some guests on from time to time, but more often than not when it comes to politics the others can't really speak to those issues well enough so it becomes Colin's Political Hour. Seeing how extreme he is on certain issues like the economy it would be nice to have someone present who could at least begin to challenge him. My main problem is that those conversations become boring to me when it's Colin making the same points he always makes without much discussion.

It's a shame that no one on staff is capable of coming up with good arguments and countering Colin's arguments when they discuss politics. It was frustrating to just have Colin rant in a hyperbolic fashion about political correctness for that whole video without much challenge, more or less. Points he's made time and time again.

Tim was, in part one at least.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The following is related to the "pre-order" topic Colin, Greg and Tim were discussing on their GamesCast podcast as I wanted to comment on what was said during that segment as Colin seemed to think that you had to be a GCU member at Best Buy in order to get pre-order incentives based on how Tim was explaining Best Buy's GCU program.

Regarding Best Buy's GCU program -

You do NOT need to spend $30 on GCU in order to receive the $10 pre-order reward certificate as it's available on select game and all you need is a "my Best Buy" account which anyone can setup for free.

Gamers Club Unlocked is $30 for two years and gives you the following -

- 20% off all new and sealed disc based games
So for example, a $60 game at launch will cost you $48 excluding tax.

- Double the points on video game purchases as long as you're paying with cash, credit card or PayPal...if you use a Best Buy gift card for example, you won't get any points at all but paying cash for a console purchase like I did last Saturday game me an additional 349 points totaling 698 points. Every 50 points is $1. Basically, I'll get $14 back in reward certs.

- 10% trade in bonus
For example, I traded in AC Syndicate yesterday for $35 base value. The 10% bonus game me an additional $3.50 for a total of $38.50 in credit.

- Double the points when trading in games
Using the above example, I'll get double the points on the base value so 70 points.

- 10% off buying pre-owned games
So a $10 game would cost $9 excluding tax.

GCU is an extra benefit for those like myself who purchase games physically. I always pre-order games if I know im buying it on release day anyway. After all, why not if im buying it anyway?

For games like AC Syndicate and Rise of the Tomb Raider, not only did I get my 20% off each game but I'll also get a $10 reward cert for each game from pre-ordering making both games $38 excluding tax.

If you look at what I received for AC Syndicate when I traded it in yesterday, you'll notice that I actually made a 50 cent profit on it, had it for three weeks and completed the game 100% total sync.

For those who prefer physical discs over digital and even more so if you're like me and no longer a collector, Best Buy's GCU quite simply and quite honestly blows away every other retailer when it comes to video games because in the end, you simply can't lose.

Long story short, spending $30 on GCU for two years would give you a $6 profit if all you do is buy three $60 games in that two year span. And like I said above, you simply can't lose.

Bit of a random question, but in their different podcasts, is it the same room and then before each podcast they change the pictures/frames on the wall (e.g. put pictures of PS consoles for PSILY XOXO then GameOverGreggy pic for GOG show? Or is it just a different part of the same room for each podcast?

The following is related to the "pre-order" topic Colin, Greg and Tim were discussing on their GamesCast podcast as I wanted to comment on what was said during that segment as Colin seemed to think that you had to be a GCU member at Best Buy in order to get pre-order incentives based on how Tim was explaining Best Buy's GCU program.

Regarding Best Buy's GCU program -

You do NOT need to spend $30 on GCU in order to receive the $10 pre-order reward certificate as it's available on select game and all you need is a "my Best Buy" account which anyone can setup for free.

Gamers Club Unlocked is $30 for two years and gives you the following -

- 20% off all new and sealed disc based games
So for example, a $60 game at launch will cost you $48 excluding tax.

- Double the points on video game purchases as long as you're paying with cash, credit card or PayPal...if you use a Best Buy gift card for example, you won't get any points at all but paying cash for a console purchase like I did last Saturday game me an additional 349 points totaling 698 points. Every 50 points is $1. Basically, I'll get $14 back in reward certs.

- 10% trade in bonus
For example, I traded in AC Syndicate yesterday for $35 base value. The 10% bonus game me an additional $3.50 for a total of $38.50 in credit.

- Double the points when trading in games
Using the above example, I'll get double the points on the base value so 70 points.

- 10% off buying pre-owned games
So a $10 game would cost $9 excluding tax.

GCU is an extra benefit for those like myself who purchase games physically. I always pre-order games if I know im buying it on release day anyway. After all, why not if im buying it anyway?

For games like AC Syndicate and Rise of the Tomb Raider, not only did I get my 20% off each game but I'll also get a $10 reward cert for each game from pre-ordering making both games $38 excluding tax.

If you look at what I received for AC Syndicate when I traded it in yesterday, you'll notice that I actually made a 50 cent profit on it, had it for three weeks and completed the game 100% total sync.

For those who prefer physical discs over digital and even more so if you're like me and no longer a collector, Best Buy's GCU quite simply and quite honestly blows away every other retailer when it comes to video games because in the end, you simply can't lose.

Long story short, spending $30 on GCU for two years would give you a $6 profit if all you do is buy three $60 games in that two year span. And like I said above, you simply can't lose.

Welcome! I'm actually surprised the GCU is only $30. Nowadays, you expect something like that to be $50 or $60 annually.

Bit of a random question, but in their different podcasts, is it the same room and then before each podcast they change the pictures/frames on the wall (e.g. put pictures of PS consoles for PSILY XOXO then GameOverGreggy pic for GOG show? Or is it just a different part of the same room for each podcast?

They rearrange the room. They furnish the room differently for each show and orient the table differently when it calls for it (especially for PS I Love You XOXO, where it's just the two of them). It's always the same area of the room, just sometimes at a different angle. So, yes, that means for every show, the producers (presumably Tim and Nick) put up items relevant to whatever show is being produced. I wonder, providing they ever get a studio, if they'll have multiple studio spaces for various shows. The used to do all their content in the living room (where they did Extra Life this year) until their former roommate Mike Mitchell moved out. Soon after Mike left, they utilized that room as their multi-purpose studio. As shown at Kinda Funny Live, the background wall is actually fake. Not sure if it's cardboard or whatever, but it can easily be taken down and brought elsewhere.

They rearrange the room. They furnish the room differently for each show and orient the table differently when it calls for it (especially for PS I Love You XOXO, where it's just the two of them). It's always the same area of the room, just sometimes at a different angle. So, yes, that means for every show, the producers (presumably Tim and Nick) put up items relevant to whatever show is being produced. I wonder, providing they ever get a studio, if they'll have multiple studio spaces for various shows. The used to do all their content in the living room (where they did Extra Life this year) until their former roommate Mike Mitchell moved out. Soon after Mike left, they utilized that room as their multi-purpose studio. As shown at Kinda Funny Live, the background wall is actually fake. Not sure if it's cardboard or whatever, but it can easily be taken down and brought elsewhere.

Wow, thanks a lot for the information. I
kinda ;)
get it now. Much appreciated!

Choomp

Banned
Still waiting for that Egoraptor appearance. It's possible, they've worked on stuff before with him and they've had some Twitter interactions that could imply they're doing something together maybe. I really want to believe.

mdubs

Banned
For Colin, and Jason Schreier if you ever check this thread, I would absolutely love for you two to have a sit down podcast at some point (like the Jim Sterling and Colin episode). You both love old jpgs and good video game journalism, I'm sure that you would have much to discuss

For Colin, and Jason Schreier if you ever check this thread, I would absolutely love for you two to have a sit down podcast at some point (like the Jim Sterling and Colin episode). You both love old jpgs and good video game journalism, I'm sure that you would have much to discuss

I would love to see Patrick Klepek join in, too. Jason is a NY Jets fan (like Colin) and Patrick is Chicago Bears fan (like Greg).

This is also a good suggestion. They should do it next time Colin is home on Long Island since Kotaku is based on NY

The problem is Patrick lives in Chicago. He would have to also be in NYC for that to happen. I think E3 would be the best bet (Patrick skipped this year). Maybe GDC.

MattyG

Banned
I wish Greg would do a MGSV spoilercast or something. He's always saying how MGSV is his GOTY, but he always talks about the gameplay. As a huge MGS fan, I was massively disappointed in the story, so I'd love to hear his thoughts about it.

Mezoly

I wish Greg would do a MGSV spoilercast or something. He's always saying how MGSV is his GOTY, but he always talks about the gameplay. As a huge MGS fan, I was massively disappointed in the story, so I'd love to hear his thoughts about it.
I don't think he cared about the story at all. When he was doing the Platinum run, he had 70 tapes unplayed. Greg wanted Peace Walker 2 and he got it.

That's great. Also, speaking of Colin and avocados, this guy in the image (a popular meme) always reminded me somewhat of Colin. To make it better, it almost looks as if he has too many avocados (they're really limes, but almost look like avocados) and doesn't know what to do with them:

p0Akse2.jpg

RE_Player

I've come to realize I don't care about anyone other than Greg and Colin. If they aren't paired up in content I won't listen or watch.

I've come to realize I don't care about anyone other than Greg and Colin. If they aren't paired up in content I won't listen or watch.

Nick is the secret weapon, when that guy has a bone to pick, magic happens. That topic about clothes and Nick spending 10 minutes just shitting on the person who worked there was so awesome.

sora87

Very sad to hear about Alex, I'm not really in their community as far as their forums go but I read up and he sounds like an awesome guy. Best wishes to his nearest and dearest.

Yeah every show shutting down for fake American Thanksgiving is annoying. At least celebrate the real Thanksgiving in October! Oh well, Colin and Greg deserved a break. Not Kevin though.

mdubs

Banned
I'm hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles 10, and that Nick let's play was amazing.

He should do a let's play for the other 9

sora87

I think I'm done with Gamescast, every week they just have boring topics and annoying guests. I only really watch PS I Love You and C&G Live now. Shame but oh well.

DKHF

I think I'm done with Gamescast, every week they just have boring topics and annoying guests. I only really watch PS I Love You and C&G Live now. Shame but oh well.
I agree that Gamescast has been lacking lately. Adam Kovic was a decent guest but Chris Watters not so much.

But there should be some good episodes coming up, reflecting on The Game Awards/PSX, discussing their 2015 predictions and 2016 predictions.

Top Bottom