• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV - Demo Impressions thread (out now, free)

BadWolf

I can't find the normals that are in the auto combo for KOD .. I feel like there's a lot of stuff that can be linked with the max mode.

Also the max mode activation that shrinks it to half a bar is only able to work when you hit the opponent once and then go? Or?..

The auto combo normals are unique to rush combos.

Yeah, if you activate max mode after hitting with a normal first (i.e. in the midst of a combo) then the max meter is halved.

Quarter circle forward then half circle back.. Why?

You can just do QCF and then QCB. You don't have to do HCB.

Alternate motion: QCF, QCF, back+punch or kick

Tyaren

I almost got more out of this game demo as I did get out of the full version of Street Fighter V, which I fairly quickly dropped after puchasing it. You wouldn't believe it but the KoFXIV demo actually has a decent Versus CPU mode. What a crazy thing! ;)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

If everyone had a move list like a Tekken character, but they don't.

At first it seemed overly complex. As you learn the game and think about it, it's to keep many mis-inputs from the large movelist KOF characters traditionally have. Also, many of them match up quite well with what you've already done: with many chacacters with QCF,HCB supers, you'll have already done the needed "QCF" when throwing the fireball you're about to super cancel out of, of you'r one "Forward" away from a QCF when cancelling a DP into a Ranbu super.

For super throws, I've always found 2 HCB's to be much easier to do than 2 full circles. I also find them much easier and consistent for wakeup reversals as well. The fact I'm not stupidly pressing upwards for "Jump" multiple times also means I don't have to do things like jump first, or throw out normals to let me buffer without jumping into the air.

Also, with throws like HCB,F+A, the F taps can be used to buffer a dash in. So it's easy to do "Run up Super grabs" by doing the first HCB (which means you tapped Forward once), tapping the other forward (which will set you into running if you're fast enough), and then pressing the attack button a split second later. you've effectively dashed in, and then executed your throw. I always found this easier and more visually consistent than Capcom-style Kara-throws, which serve the same purpose.

There is actually method to the madness. That said...

The best moves are needlessly hard to execute, especially under pressure with a pad.

A lot of the new characters have ridiculously simple motions, save for one double QCB for a Climax DM. It's nice they do it this way, but after playing a lot of KI (which prides itself on not having any motions beyond the very basic fighting game ones), I'm quite glad there's more complex motions here. They're not TOO tough (no one needs early 90s SNK motions anymore, those were complex just for secrets sake), the input buffers are huge, and I like the complexity of a motion feeling like it correlates with the drama / damage the move is about to show.

Much like people love that Blazblue had a cast that all felt like they had systems from different games, I think XIV's mix of old, new, and modified characters have design philosophies (moveset wise and character concept wise) that feel like they draw from pretty much all taste in fighters.

So, any advice for KoD?

B (weak kick) can be used to get a qcb+A throw from almost max kick range. It's a pretty decent punish to set the opponent back at "come at me!" range. If you want to keep them close, do the kick, then a qcf+A.

If you get a wallsplat CD on someone, run up, and do his qcb+K bite attack. It picks them off the ground, and does solid damage, and tosses them to the OTHER side of the screen. If you want to stay close to them for mixups, hop over their body with his jumping C attack. It has a very generous crossup box.

Far C is cancellable to his DINNER TIME super.

A thing for KOD basically seems to be that striking attacks let him stay closer, grapples push him away farther. Use his armored moves (EX qcb+AC, far C, Crouch C, maybe back+A) to annoy people who try to get back in. Use weak attacks and throws to hurt people who you stay close to.

BadWolf

I cant play KOF to save my life.

What are you having issues with?

Try watching this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3KVgI1LvU

Juicebox also has a bunch of really good tutorials in his YT channel for XIII discussing basics, a lot of that should apply to XIV as well.

Great work!

Man...Nelson is an amazing new character.

So impressed with this game so far.

He's my fave too. At first I was going to hold back on him because Angel will be on my day 1 team and I didn't want to learn two chain characters at the same time but this demo really sold me on him.

Nice .
It so easy to kill with him if you have supers .

Playing this I'm reminded why I disliked snk games as a kid. Nonsensicaly long notation.

If everyone had a move list like a Tekken character, but they don't. The best moves are needlessly hard to execute, especially under pressure with a pad.

Kinda glad I already cancelled my preorder. I'll buy the full game, but nowhere near launch.

It easy to do those motion even on pad .
Plus it not only KOF that has them arc games also .
Same for some other anime fighting games.

Amedo310

Here's more stuff I know about KOD:

Breaking weak qcf+A while hitting an air opponent makes them hard knockdowned and KOD can follow up with qcb+K.

Only his SDM throws are instant grabs.

qcf x2

I had fun with it and the controls are so much easier than in previous KoF. The load times were refreshingly brief. Sylvie is dope.

Say what you will about the graphics and characters, at least Kyo looks like Kyo. (Looking at you SFV Ken). Everything feels tight and good which Im enjoying too

I'm trying to go all in on learning Kof, working my way up through the orochi saga as of now. hopefully wont get bodied online (if its good netcode).

HardRojo

Playing on a controller is so hard, my muscle memory for KoF defaults to stick. Will just mess around to understand the system and then wait for the full release so I can use my PS3 stick.
LP LK
HP HK
is the way I played KoF XIII... weird, I know.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I love how characters talk through the controller after a hard hit

I don't like how the camera doesn't zoom in on a win pose like it did in 12/13.

Ah well

Tizoc

People have trouble doing qcf,hcb motion in 2016
970.jpg

Come on people that's 2nd nature by now!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I don't really like Juri either, as to me (as a KOF first person) she seems like a crappy mix of Vice / Mature with Kim, lol. She never fulfils what I expect from her archetype, being one of the only female villans in SF. You could compare how I feel about her to how people feel about Shun'Ei in this game. (Just to be clear, this is in no way an insult to people who DO like her! I don't think she's a horribly made character in general, she just doesn't work for me.)

But I'm rather enjoying Sylvie. (Desk also made his first ever KOF video of her, if you wanna see!) Her craziness walks a fine line between being calculated, and being an acceptable way to tell the world "I'm not really quite right!" at the same time. She's not so overblown that I can't see her functioning as a normal person too, basically.

While noting nice character deets, I like how one of Nelson's Victory poses is to scream the name of his comatose fiancé, Liccia. Even though he has an obviously tragic backstory, it's nice that it's being used to show us how strong he is to go against it, instead of making him a depressing, overly-sympathetic figure.

I love how characters talk through the controller after a hard hit

I swear Shun'Ei mumbles something in low English, lol. It's a nice little extra detail, that I doubt many will pay attention to or appreciate. Just like being able to tap different places on the controllers flat pad in training, to reset to the far left, middle, or right.

I don't like how the camera doesn't zoom in on a win pose like it did in 12/13.

Ah well
Yeah, that'd be nice. I still like most of the actions, though; Sylvie's little wink, point, and zombie-like shuffle pose is full of little details.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Strange I'm in maxmode and it wont work...could it be that it wont work due to a setting I changed in training?

Max mode is triggered via b&c right or lk &hp? Yeah, it's not working.

To Do EX moves in make mode, you need to press 2 of the same type button (2 punches, or 2 kicks). This take part of the remaining max mode time.

These EX moves cannot be done outside MAX mode, unlike most games.

mreddie

I'm legit shocked how good Sylvie plays, also Iori still GOAT and flames Iori is boss.

Kinda shocked only 7 characters though, I would replace Mai with another newbie.

To Do EX moves in make mode, you need to press 2 of the same type button (2 punches, or 2 kicks). This take part of the remaining max mode time.

These EX moves cannot be done outside MAX mode, unlike most games.

Why didn't they put that in the move list?

No wonder, I kept thinking street fighter V as in regular moves would become stronger.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

No wonder, I kept thinking street fighter V as in regular moves would become stronger.
It might have been in the tutorial? (haven't been through it myself yet.)

Every "Special Move" move of every character has an EX version (there are very few exceptions), and some of them can even almost become new moves.

Each move really COULD use a Killer Instinct-like description for each and every variation of it, that defines all the changes and special features, but that'd probably scare even more people away from the game, as each movelist would become a light novel.

The Move list also doesn't list Target Combos (like Mai's st.LK, st.HK), which is a weird omission as well.

qcf x2

But I'm rather enjoying Sylvie. (Desk also made his first ever KOF video of her, if you wanna see!) Her craziness walks a fine line between being calculated, and being an acceptable way to tell the world "I'm not really quite right!" at the same time. She's not so overblown that I can't see her functioning as a normal person too, basically.

Nice. I wonder if some of the SF4 crowd will come around to KoF XIV since max mode is like a less dumb FADC. Of course, max mode has been around forever but who cares about such details!

Speaking of max, Max is streaming KoF tonight. Hopefully he enjoys the demo, I have a feeling he will since the controls feel less of a barrier this time around and the characters are legit fun, even if it's 1v1 in the demo.

It's in the general tutorial, as it applies to all characters and their specials.

DR2K

Banned
This game is hurting my wrists. The commands for supers are dumb as fuck.

It's a day 1 if the net code is decent.

Finally got some time with the game. I'm liking it so far feels like the older titles to me.

One thing that I am not used to right now is the jumps. They feel off but I'm sure once I play more I'll get used to them. Game also feels a little stiff but that is probably just the animations as we've been spoiled this gen by xrd and sfv. Other than that I can't wait to get the full game.

Okay I gave up on a combo I had in mind for shun ei, if anyone wants to give it a go be my guest and post a video :)

Jump hk
Hk
Maxmode
Hp
Sky axe
Blau wing
Demolish dimension

Extra points if you start the combo by using thruster vision front.

Ryce

This is my first time playing KOF, and there are some unintuitive design decisions that strike me as SNK wanting to arbitrarily differentiate themselves from Capcom. A lot of the command inputs are dumb. Granted, I’m terrible at fighting games and probably don’t know what I’m talking about, but this game would be so much more enjoyable with traditional Street Fighter inputs. I do like the roster diversity and move sets, but the core gameplay is a little too technical for my liking. I guess KOF just isn’t my thing.

I went through the tutorials before going to training. I tried out Nelson. He's a bit hard for me, also it's my first time playing KOF XIII like game if I can word it that way. Doing dash + short hop is kind of hard in a sense I always get Nelson to do high jump instead of short hop.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've had this question since 1991

Does anyone actually like Andy Bogard? This dude has been in every fucking game since Fatal Fury 1 and I feel like I've never met an Andy Bogard fan. But they keep putting him in there. Mai needs to treat herself and move up to Terry obsession.

Subaru

Does anyone actually like Andy Bogard? This dude has been in every fucking game since Fatal Fury 1 and I feel like I've never met an Andy Bogard fan. But they keep putting him in there. Mai needs to treat herself and move up to Terry obsession.

Andy is a popular character I guess. I like him, but he is fugly at KOF XIV =/

B (weak kick) can be used to get a qcb+A throw from almost max kick range. It's a pretty decent punish to set the opponent back at "come at me!" range. If you want to keep them close, do the kick, then a qcf+A.

If you get a wallsplat CD on someone, run up, and do his qcb+K bite attack. It picks them off the ground, and does solid damage, and tosses them to the OTHER side of the screen. If you want to stay close to them for mixups, hop over their body with his jumping C attack. It has a very generous crossup box.

Far C is cancellable to his DINNER TIME super.

A thing for KOD basically seems to be that striking attacks let him stay closer, grapples push him away farther. Use his armored moves (EX qcb+AC, far C, Crouch C, maybe back+A) to annoy people who try to get back in. Use weak attacks and throws to hurt people who you stay close to.

Awesome, time to pass a couple of hours training with KOD. Thank you!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This is my first time playing KOF, and there are some unintuitive design decisions that strike me as SNK wanting to arbitrarily differentiate themselves from Capcom. A lot of the command inputs are dumb. Granted, I’m terrible at fighting games and probably don’t know what I’m talking about, but this game would be so much more enjoyable with traditional Street Fighter inputs. I do like the roster diversity and move sets, but the core gameplay is a little too technical for my liking. I guess KOF just isn’t my thing.

Naa, this isn't MK. SNK games have been around since the early 90s, and they've cut back a lot of "stupid input for the sake of hiding moves" this and that. They've made SNK games with simpler inputs (Garou), and they've also made many new characters in THIS game with simpler inputs (Street Fighter-ish motions only). SNK fans like SNK motions, and this even comes up in other developers games (such as "Ranbu" supers in others games using the SNK motion for such things, rather than 2 QCFs.)

Personally, I find most airdash games of old harder, and I probably hated the Charge motion supers in SF more than anything in modern SNK motions. High jump cancel specials also seem much harder to me, that a simple thumb or wrist roll.

When I first booted up this demo, I actually had an issue doing double qcb+P stuff, but that quickly went away as I got used to this games personal speed.

Growing up, my brother and I would have Andy VS Terry fights in any game that allowed it. He still generally always has Andy on his KoF teams, and he likes Hokutomaru in Garou because he's Andy's student.

I always found him a much more interesting "Ken" to Terry's "Ryu", and he gets some pretty interesting stuff in the Real Bout games.

Awesome, time to pass a couple of hours training with KOD. Thank you!

Not a problem! :) Let us know if you discover anything else not mentioned 'round here!

No way man .
I have been a fan of Andy since fatal fury days .
My middle name is andy so when i was young playing a person that had the same name was awesome lol .
Still i play him to this day because he is a lot of fun in KOF games.

Top Bottom