• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

I played the full version today, is a really fun game, even though I think that it will be a very polarizing game like SF IV amongst the hardcore fanbase (which at the begginign lots of people hated but still played it)

Can you explain more about this?

Edit: FUCK I hope the netcode is good. I rarely play online (unless forced), but that's so important to a fighting game's lifespan that it has to be at least decent to give it legs.

sibarraz

Banned
Can you explain more about this?

Edit: FUCK I hope the netcode is good. I rarely play online (unless forced), but that's so important to a fighting game's lifespan that it has to be at least decent to give it legs.

The game is way different that any other KOF, and this is more on his basis, the jumps are different from what players are used, and this change how you feel the game a lot.

Also, the hitboxes feel different too, still, if you can't endure this, the game is fun, but is a different experience

Relique

Really weird netcode. I've had unplayable matches with some players in the evening and then later on enjoyed smooth games with the same players.

The netcode is a bit hit and miss but I played very smooth games between Socal and Illinois. Had a nice 3 hour stretch of smooth games. It restored some hope that things may be a lot better on day 1.

Really weird netcode. I've had unplayable matches with some players in the evening and then later on enjoyed smooth games with the same players.

The netcode is a bit hit and miss but I played very smooth games between Socal and Illinois. Had a nice 3 hour stretch of smooth games. It restored some hope that things may be a lot better on day 1.
Yeah it sounds like a stability patch is in order. Regardless of what happens day 1, I pray they fix it all within the next two weeks, otherwise the game will loose a lot of people.

Amedo310

I mostly did training mode stuff with some characters.

Ryo; Used Ex hoashokoen as a combo extender to light dp:

1. https://youtu.be/U4rESkgeZck

2. https://youtu.be/7tcWxZNZFBQ - The one has CD after quickmax which allows me to follow up with qcf+AC, qcf+A.

Xanadu; Character's Cr. D launchs falling opponent or opponents hit after CD. Also, qcb+A bounds only after corner CD. CD seems to be the preferred move after quickmax.

https://youtu.be/09_kylPOFQQ

Ralf; His rdp+P can follow after corner CD.

https://youtu.be/7vEEGE57oic

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
@Amedo310 - Great to see some combos for some unusual characters, thanks! Especially nice to see some gears workin on Xanadu. Great to see some combo'n into Ralf IMPACT as well.

Looking forward to messing around with Zarina, Maxima, and Tung a lot myself, and Mian, and... pretty much everyone, but these seem like some fairly unexplored, under-utilized characters.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cp-JR81UMAAx859.jpg:orig

Netcodes are such a fickle thing. Some of my worse experiences have been with rollback netcode, personally. Good Delay is better than Bad Rollback, for me. Though excellent rollback seems to be the gold standard.

I most interested in how they answer net woes, rather than what it is on Day One, for this game. XRD on PS3 had issues for so long when I purchased it, that I never got into it at all. But I don't really care about GG as much, so my local play was way more than enough for it.

I'll play KoF for years if they don't date themselves with a vastly improved, quick-turnaround sequel, so I don't mind them working on network functions, as long as they work soon. The online featureset (modes, lobbies) sound great, too, and I'd hate to watch all that obvious work go to waste. A solid feature set is almost as interesting as pure network code in and of itself. My SFV experiences ran well when I got into matches, sure, but the fact it took days for me to even be able to get into a lobby with a friend was equally annoying to the slight delay I'd experience in certain matches.

-----

Famitsu Review Info (As Translated by BlackKite on Twitter:)

Play time estimate from Famitsu review
1 hour to clear 1 team story (total 18 hours)
1 day to master 1 chara (total 50 days)

+Lots of charas, team battle & festive feel still there
*Story abit shallow, but intriguing as start of new arc
+System is close to 2D NeoGeo era
+Glad there's still 3-on-3
*Chara models lacking for PS4 but fluid movements
*Simple fighting game, but comebacks make it exciting
+Tutorial is smooth & easy to follow
+Movements still quick even in 3D
-Some characters may have different impressions from before

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im tryin' to avoid all kind of spoilers but... how many alt colors do characters have?
(They have 4 in the demo)

qcf x2

I don't give a rat's ass about netcode impressions until about a week after the game releases. Somehow I doubt the experience will be worse than their recent re-releases, and Last Blade 2's netcode was not bad at all. Everything else is static as far as the game, design, etc. But who knows if they even turned all of the servers on at this point; I'm not sure why they would since there's still a week to go.

18+ hours of single player content though? That's a bullet point for the OT, SAB!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't give a rat's ass about netcode impressions until about a week after the game releases. Somehow I doubt the experience will be worse than their recent re-releases, and Last Blade 2's netcode was not bad at all. Everything else is static as far as the game, design, etc. But who knows if they even turned all of the servers on at this point; I'm not sure why they would since there's still a week to go.

18+ hours of single player content though? That's a bullet point for the OT, SAB!

I think people should place their hopes on SNK listening to feedback and patching the game to continually improve netcode, if there are problems. Being a fighting game servers don't matter, it's P2P.

If SNK wants this to revive the brand and the company, they must realize online play has to be competitive with the best fighting games today. Even NetherRealm put in the work to entirely replace the netcode in MKX.

BadWolf

People who are expecting amazing netcode at launch (or in XIV's case pre-launch lol) probably haven't played fighting games much.

SNK would benefit heavily from getting XIV's netcode to a good state since they would be able to use it for future games as well.

Famitsu Review Info (As Translated by BlackKite on Twitter:)

Nice, mostly positive.

Im tryin' to avoid all kind of spoilers but... how many alt colors do characters have?
(They have 4 in the demo)

4 colors total per character.

dem0neyes

I think people should place their hopes on SNK listening to feedback and patching the game to continually improve netcode, if there are problems. Being a fighting game servers don't matter, it's P2P.

It's still amazing how alot of people don't actually realize this.

BadWolf

I mostly did training mode stuff with some characters.

Ryo; Used Ex hoashokoen as a combo extender to light dp:

1. https://youtu.be/U4rESkgeZck

2. https://youtu.be/7tcWxZNZFBQ - The one has CD after quickmax which allows me to follow up with qcf+AC, qcf+A.

Xanadu; Character's Cr. D launchs falling opponent or opponents hit after CD. Also, qcb+A bounds only after corner CD. CD seems to be the preferred move after quickmax.

https://youtu.be/09_kylPOFQQ

Ralf; His rdp+P can follow after corner CD.

https://youtu.be/7vEEGE57oic

Really nice, thanks man.

That's a cool change for Ryo, he couldn't use his fireball super like that in XIII.

Would EX fireball > EX HCB+K > DP > Fireball DM/SDM work midscreen? From what I saw at Stunfest the HP DP now gives more lift compared to XIII and the ranbu tended to miss in this situation. Any thoughts on Ryo so far? Does he have any new BnB combos worth mentioning?

That property on Xanadu's cr. HK sounds super interesting, could also make for a great anti-air.

The more I see the new CD wall bounce property in action the more it feels like it was a stroke of genius by the devs.

People who are expecting amazing netcode at launch (or in XIV's case pre-launch lol) probably haven't played fighting games much.
I am pretty sure 90% of my posts on this forum over the last decade have been about fighting game netcode. I know a thing or two. So I wasn't expecting "amazing" netcode. It's SNK. I knew I was taking a risk. But the game that exists now is unplayable for me. It is unplayable for my friend who also bought it. It is like you are playing on a PC that doesn't meet minimum specs. It's like SNK's 360 games, but worse. And of course if you check the old threads on those games you see a lot of "wait until launch day...wait for the servers!" Then launch day rolls around and nothing's changed, because fighters are p2p and servers have nothing to do with netcode.

They have done a good job with this game as a package. I know there's a patch coming. I have a tiny bit of hope that it will be fixed. But I've bought plenty of games before street date and I can't recall any day one patches that made a game's online go from unplayable to playable...but I also never got a game a full 2 weeks early either. So fingers crossed.

BadWolf

I am pretty sure 90% of my posts on this forum over the last decade have been about fighting game netcode. I know a thing or two. So I wasn't expecting "amazing" netcode. It's SNK. I knew I was taking a risk. But the game that exists now is unplayable for me. It is unplayable for my friend who also bought it. It is like you are playing on a PC that doesn't meet minimum specs. It's like SNK's 360 games, but worse. And of course if you check the old threads on those games you see a lot of "wait until launch day...wait for the servers!" Then launch day rolls around and nothing's changed, because fighters are p2p and servers have nothing to do with netcode.

They have done a good job with this game as a package. I know there's a patch coming. I have a tiny bit of hope that it will be fixed. But I've bought plenty of games before street date and I can't recall any day one patches that made a game's online go from unplayable to playable...but I also never got a game a full 2 weeks early either. So fingers crossed.

My comment was aimed at people who are automatically writing the game off completely based on early impressions when launching with iffy netcode is the norm for the genre.

Whatever the netcode ends up being I'm not going to write it off based on pre-launch or launch status. Once the patching process is done then I will decide.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, SFV had a bunch of beta tests and still launched with broken and unplayable netcode on day one. It's still lacking but patches have improved it quite a bit over time.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Hyun Sai

Like I mentioned in the other thread, SFV had a bunch of beta tests and still launched with broken and unplayable netcode on day one. It's still lacking but patches have improved it quite a bit over time.

I was there day one for SFV and netcode was never broken. What was broken was all the matchmaking aspect.

When you happened miraculously to play, netcode quality was the same as what we have now.

Matchmaking issues can be fixed by patches. Netcode is an entirely different beast to "fix".

vg260

Didn't Persona Area on Xbox have a netcode issue that got fixed with an early patch?

BadWolf

Matchmaking issues can be fixed by patches. Netcode is an entirely different beast to "fix".

So you are saying the launch netcode is all you can get with a fighter and it can't be improved much beyond that?

Didn't MKX's netcode get improved by a lot after launch?

dem0neyes

So you are saying the launch netcode is all you can get with a fighter and it can't be improved much beyond that?

It did but NRS completely overhauled it and switched to roll back style delay iirc. I don't have alot of faith that something like that could happen here if this netcode is indeed bad.

Hyun Sai

You can, but you have to re-think / re-do it entirely.

I believe they took a year to do this for Mortal Kombat X.

Pompadour

SFV's online issues were matchmaking related as the servers were crashing so much week 1 you couldn't get a match. The netcode itself is largely the same.

And MKX got a second life because they designed a new netcode for Injustice 2 and went back and added it to MKX to help sell their second DLC pack. So what would need to happen for a complete overhaul is probably something like a new Sam Sho or Fatal Fury getting a new netcode that would be added to KOF for some reason. That's highly unlikely, though.

Let's hope a patch brings XIV's netcode up to XIII PC levels, at least.

BadWolf

https://www.youtube.com/user/mynusdono/videos

This guy has uploaded a bunch of Angel tech/combo vids, she is looking real slick.

She can combo into her Climax DM from her command grab O_O

SFV's online issues were matchmaking related as the servers were crashing so much week 1 you couldn't get a match. The netcode itself is largely the same.

And MKX got a second life because they designed a new netcode for Injustice 2 and went back and added it to MKX to help sell their second DLC pack. So what would need to happen for a complete overhaul is probably something like a new Sam Sho or Fatal Fury getting a new netcode that would be added to KOF for some reason. That's highly unlikely, though.

Let's hope a patch brings XIV's netcode up to XIII PC levels, at least.

Thanks and yeah if they get it to XIII PC levels or beyond then it will be playable for me.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Holy shit, my copy already arrived! Can't wait to get home and try out all the characters!

Been on the fence about picking up this game early (I've had the option of picking it up as of last Friday) don't know if I want to pay full price for an early copy or just wait the one week.

dem0neyes

I will say even if the netcode is complete trash I still plan on playing the hell out of this game and will for sure have the chance to play people in person at events like magfest. Game feels great and have been waiting for a brand new snk fighting game for a long time.

If anyone here also has the game. I'd like to try some matches so I can have a idea on the net code quality. I had some random matches which weren't so great. Dont know the location or quality of the opponents. PM me I guess

BadWolf

Amazon estimated arrival date: September 01, 2016 - September 08, 2016

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I might end up just going digital on this, would be way more convenient for a fighter anyway.

Amedo310

Meitenkun's charges rely a lot the player riding the gate while holding any charges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_mufYfS0zg

For starters, he needs to do the same charge style as XIII Takuma in starting a combo. Luckily, Meitenkun can combo from light normals into his f+B.

As for his charges, starting the charge at the diagonals works really well. Going from db to ub+AC, allows me to do d~u+AC while still leveling up the charge for b~f+P.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CD stuff:

Tung at the corner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO5AMN-4Io4

Kukri Midscreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK5_y-YtKtc

Kukri Corner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj2OD76h5u0

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Amazon estimated arrival date: September 01, 2016 - September 08, 2016

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I might end up just going digital on this, would be way more convenient for a fighter anyway.

Yeah i got the digital version so i dont have to change discs lol
Ill double dip if i find an early copy though

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Played in a USA lobby. My first impressions on the net code aren't very favorable...hope there's a day one patch next week or this game is gonna get shelved and it will be back to SFV. The matches I played showed as 4 and 5 bars, but it sure as hell didn't feel like it. Had matches that were both incredibly slow (like playing underwater) and laggy to the point of feeling choppy. Didn't have a match that felt good, but I also only got to play a few people.

Looking to play anyone here for more testing. I really, really want to play this but if nothing is done about the netcode, this game is dead in the water, unfortunately. As far as PS4 fighting games go, this game easily has the worst net code of any fighter I've played. So I'm gonna say it again- PLS SNK...PLS have a day one patch! T_T

Also Robert Garcia is now Orlando Bloom. Cannot unsee.

Arrived meaning you ordered it... from where?

Ebay. Got it from a store there that broke the street date.

Xevren

Also to add, it still took NRS nearly a year for the enhanced netcode to come out. I hope that SNK at least says something about it, having a bad online experience is really going to hurt for sure. Still going to play it regardless.

Top Bottom