• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Am in a lobby hosted by Juicebox(!). Tried to play him but the match connection was so bad.

Just played someone in Colorado (I'm in Georgia) and the connection was incredibly good. Maybe there's hope after all? Still no idea why this one was so good.

Uraizen

Banned
Oh yeah, those gifs roaming around from syco's channel were when he was having trouble with xsplit. He said it himself that it wasn't the game and it took him a bit before he got to restarting xsplit. After that it looked good except with one person. I saw that shit happening live. Just an fyi on that garbage if you've seen it.

Lyte Edge

Had some much better matches...way less lag. Still some weird stuff happening- I played like seven matches straight against the same guy. In the sixth match...lag all over the place. Back to normal in the seventh. LOLWUT

So I end my play time tonight feeling better about the online as-is, but it's still not up to par with other games and if things stay like this, the game is going to lose a lot of (online) players.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CqByMKlVIAA03_H.jpg

MuiMui Pachislot Image Vid, also posted by GMantle: https://youtu.be/TA7L3t9-Lcg

BadWolf

Kim combo (2 bars, 63% damage)

Meitenkun combo (1 bar, 54% damage)

Had some much better matches...way less lag. Still some weird stuff happening- I played like seven matches straight against the same guy. In the sixth match...lag all over the place. Back to normal in the seventh. LOLWUT

So I end my play time tonight feeling better about the online as-is, but it's still not up to par with other games and if things stay like this, the game is going to lose a lot of (online) players.

I have played 8 matches online.

7 felt lagless, 1 was unplayable.

Strange for sure.

Thanks for the impressions, sounds like the netcode has the potential to be good but they need to patch it to be more consistent.

MuiMui Pachislot Image Vid, also posted by GMantle: https://youtu.be/TA7L3t9-Lcg

I'd so buy a side scrolling beat em up or action game featuring Muimui.

I thought they were done with pachislot

They are, looks like the vid is an anniversary compilation of scenes from the old games.

Loona

I thought they were done with pachislot

They are - odds are this is just a bit of history for people who recently came across the Another World team trailer and backstory with no idea where the character comes from. It's still pretty weird that there's a Comig Soon bit in the video though.

Then again, they have adapted some pachislot games as mobile games, like Garou Premium IIRC...

Anyway, I'm also in favor of a Dragon Gal action game, the setting looks fun, and MuiMui looks much better in her original proportions (it would be fun in XIV supported those special "doll" moves from Samurai Shodown 2 (and Nakoruru in Gal Fighters) so that look would be in the game itself).

I just noticed Atlus took down the previously posted Athena vocal track. Seems like they're really enforcing the "No Spoilers" even for music.

Oh well, hopefully it'll be on the included soundtrack.

I just noticed Atlus took down the previously posted Athena vocal track. Seems like they're really enforcing the "No Spoilers" even for music.

Oh well, hopefully it'll be on the included soundtrack.

I'm still bitter that that, Another World, and Kim's new theme were the only ones leaked so far. I need to hear more tracks, especially the specific "vs." ones like the Seoul Road remix. I'm gonna be sad as hell if none of them drop until Tuesday because of Atlus taking them down.

Was going to get it in the morning but i have special edition for pick up at bestbuy next week. Cant beat the error of the price with gamer club combo.

Any impressions on the single player modes?

What are the "Missions" like? What's the story mode like?
8 matches, then mid boss and final boss. Generic opening and mid boss cutscdnes. 6 teams have a unique intro cutscenes to the final boss. 18 endings plus special illustrations unlocked presumed by special team combinations.

Certain matchups have kofxiii style conversations before their fights (they don't play in vs. mode)

Missions are time attack, survival, and trial mode with 5 per character

Are there a lot of them? Like, can one expect at least a couple per stage in story? Also, how do special victory quotes and special intros work in versus mode?
No special intros afaik. Tom's of victory quotes and a good amount of conversations from obvious matchups as well as some new/unexpected ones. Also there are 7 I think special songs that fade in during the match depending on certain conditions

Relique

I got mine online but at this point with the shipping it might not make it in time for some of you. Not trying to hold out on anyone but I don't want to stir trouble for the seller either. At this point its only a handful of days so hang in there. With the current netcode you aren't missing anything so it's best to get that day 1 patch first.

sibarraz

Banned
What's the word on single player modes?

Is the story mode the usual intro-outro-cutscenes deal of most fighting games? Anything more meaty with the Missions? Are the unlockables basically the art gallery?

Thanks!

Story Mode is basically Arcade Mode, but in certain match ups they included extra dialogues at the beginning of the fights, like you said the unlockables are art gallery

And mission mode has time attack, survival and trials, the trials are the easiest from all the games that I had ever seen, there are only 5 of them and they are BnB combos, you will rarely see combo video like trials like the ones seen on XIII

Is there any great Geese play out there yet? I pre-ordered this game just for the Nightmare Geese DLC outfit.

Am in a lobby hosted by Juicebox(!). Tried to play him but the match connection was so bad.

Just played someone in Colorado (I'm in Georgia) and the connection was incredibly good. Maybe there's hope after all? Still no idea why this one was so good.

Colorado has a lot of network hubs because of the mountain range. We Coloradoans tend to have good connections with everyone.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
^ Geese looks so un-impressed! But I guess he's foght Ryo since his youth... errr... no wait, but that'd mean... ahh, forget it! ;-)

The trials in this game look more like they're here to make you think about how to cancel moves for max damage, not challenge you with crazy difficult execution for showy combos you'll never see used anywho.

Noone's speaking about the online training yet, come to think of it. THAT'S what should be used to get higher-level combo stuff going for this particular release. Can get up-to-date combos right from other players, rather than moves that are out of date as soon as they're shown off.

BadWolf

I can't even call them BnB combos to be honest. It's just cancel that thing into a DM/Neomax. SFV trials are amazing in comparaison.

To this day people complain about the difficulty of trial combos in XIII and because of them think that execution in the game is too hard (when the BnB combos in XIII are much, much easier than those trials). Putting combo video level stuff in there was a big mistake.

What they did with XIV is smarter, it's a mixture of BnBs and teaching you something useful.

If you are into complex combos then you don't need trials anyway.

But it's not a good way to learn the character either, so what's the point ?

Trials never teach that anyways.

I would say that after the reaction to the XIII trials, they decided to play it safe by doing trials that people can actually do. Skill levels vary wildly, don't forget there are people that can't even do double half circles or cancel a normal into a super without a lot of extra help/practice.

I love super-hard stuff like the trials in XIII because it shows combo potential and other interesting tidbits. But I'm not a casual fighting game fan so I understand why they did it this way.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Newb question.How to cancel kyos qcf punch X 2 into the fire uppercut? I keep performing his third qcf move.

What's "The Fire Uppercut" in this case? His Climax DM?

The qcf x2 +P DM should just be done fast enough between the 2nd and 3rd punch to get the motion in in time. Easiest way to do it would be to double up on the QCF motion from the 2nd punch really fast, and push Punch again.

However, what I'd suggest in this case is to find other combos, actually. Kyo can combo into his weak punch Rekka chain off lights here, which he normally can't do without the help of a command normal.

He can get his df+HK command normal off close lights as well, and that helps drop the buffer that might turn a forward dashing motion into a DP out of a plain forward motion like dashing in or moving forward.

He can get his qcf+k Up-kicks out of basically all of these options, and using that juggle to land supers is a good, solid strategy. You might want to do his hcb+k first, and then cancel the initial hit of that into super.

While it is good to grind out perfect execution to make the most of every action, KoF, more and more, offers a bit of a freer flow. You can find other combos that don't open themselves up to as many errors or mistakenly-executed moves.

Tizoc

Why do 90% of climax supers in this game have HCBx2 or HCFx2 inputs? I dont see this being good for casuals pr bginners :/

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So las night i was at Burger King (Yes, that's a story for another day) waiting for my burger when i saw a random dude holding an EARLY COPY OF KOFXIV!!!!
We chatted up a bit, he told me where he bought it so im gonna check it out today after work.

GET HYPE!

Lyte Edge

Again had some better matches last night. Spent time messing around with all the new characters. Kukri is just awesome all around and I think he's gonna be on my main team. He has a quick ground projectile, an effective overhead kick (that can also be done in the air) AND can teleport among other things. Just too good.

In fact...that's one thing that really stands out to me in this game. All the new characters are pretty awesome. I've run into people using only new characters on their teams and I can't remember the last time I saw that happen in a fighting game.

Even the goofy characters are awesome. Xanadu is hilarious. His command grab has him run forward, pick up the opponent and cradle them like a baby, then slam them down. LMAO. I think people online were pretty surprised the first time they saw the move, lol.

Why do 90% of climax supers in this game have HCBx2 or HCFx2 inputs? I dont see this being good for casuals pr bginners :/

Way better than the SNK DM inputs in the early 90s, lol.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Real talk? Like the realest of talks? HCBx2 is my favorite DM motion of all time.
Back when i was a kid while enojying B]stHP,f+LP,HCBx2+P[/B] fools with Yashiro i realized something that changed everything to me: All grab DMs where HCBx2 ... that little realization made think on all the design decisions that devs have to make and how they impact the player experience.

KOF and MGS made me become a game dev, life moved me away from it but at some point i would like to give it another try.

User Actions
Following

G-Mantle (ゲーマント)Verified account
‏@SNKPofficial
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV:
A New Team Trailer is going to be revealed soon! Stay tuned!! #KOF14 #KOFXIV
CqJIeJcUEAAdPkU.jpg

2 trailers in a day!

Two trailers today?! YES! SNK posted all the team trailers before the game released! That just leaves the final boss...which most folks will see when they actually play the game proper.

Shadow780

Those who are going to Summer Jam we'll have suite for KOF players, I'll bring my set up with the full game, just DM me for room#, I'll be there Friday night.

Also watch wrasslin' cuz I'm into that

Top Bottom