• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

DR2K

Banned
The issues is that MOST of the Climax supers have these inputs. Granted for regular/pro players it's not an issue, but this is an odd design choice especially if they want to get newcomers and casuals into the game.
Some might see it as a minor issue, but as someone who games with friends and relatives in fighting games, it's a bit of an unfortunate design choice.

Yep it went from a day 1 to a wait for a deep discount.

Seijuro

Preordered on EU PSN. Got excited reading that people already got the game and are posting impressions right here. Realizing now that it unlocks next friday, not tuesday like most other games! 8 DAYS! The wait is real!

butman

2000 art is incredible.

Best in the biz imo. It's timeless.

20oiBf8.png

Hadoukie

Everyone does
But boxing is covered with Nelson
And Hinako isn't a fat sweaty dude so her sumo is actually awesome

Having 2 boxers with completely different playstyles is fine in a game with 3 fucking Taekwondo users

Hinako was cool tho, but I'd rather have Vane and Blue Mary before her

Rhapsody

Banned
I know the game isn't officially out yet, but anyone know who look like they'd be suitable anchors that would utilize max mode well?

I know the game isn't officially out yet, but anyone know who look like they'd be suitable anchors that would utilize max mode well?

There's a lot who would suit that purpose. Off the top of my head, Geese, Kyo, Iori, Kim, Athena, King, Muimui and Ramon come to mind. Basically, anybody who can really get big damage for two-three bars and/or are really good in MAX mode is a good candidate. I think a large portion of the cast can fill the anchor role well, but these in particular I think stand out.

In particular, Geese can combo Raging Storm off of a CD wallsplat. Just hit it, dash up and RAGING STOOORM...then follow that up with a ground throw since Raging Storm is hard knockdown. That alone does like 60% or over 60%. For just one normal hit.

I tried to play 14 and left with carpel tunnel. Shit hurts.

If you are getting carpel tunnel, you should analyze how you hold your stick/and controller and take breaks. And if you wanna practice, practice smart and not hard.

Execution of movesets always takes a bit to adjust depending on the person, so take it easy and don't stress your body over it. That goes for any fighting game.

Plus, not every fighter has wacky supers.

saher

Banned
I know if i look around i will find me a copy but im too lazy so am going to get the digital version so i can switch games easily :s

NP. Oh, and he has a Rekka chain (The one that starts with HP, the "Dokugami" series) that ends with his DP as part of the chain. You're not confusing that for doing 100 Shinki Oniyaki out of his rekkas, are you? Just being sure!

That's sexy. One more tool to buff her in fireball wars. Maybe this is the trade for why she has no invulnerability at ALL with Illusion Dance, from what we've seen?

... does Leona get one for having none of V-Slasher? Maybe she can empty cancel whiff X-Calibur into it or something...

This stuff is fun. It's out-of-the-box thinking that I love so much from SNK (and even in many of the Playmore years). They're good at making old stuff feel new again, in ways that perfectly align with what I want out of games. Even when I'm depressed in something they do, I can at least find some of the "why". Most other Hsien-Ko in UMVC3 fighters present me with similar issues, that I really can't make as much rhyme or reason out of.

And that's honestly pretty important to me. It's why I vastly prefer Virtua Fighter over Tekken, and why the MK series / Netherrelm gameplay designs in general never seems to stick with me.
I was confused , thanks for clarifying that. That can cancel into dm moves i think.

Rhapsody

Banned
There's a lot who would suit that purpose. Off the top of my head, Geese, Kyo, Iori, Kim, Athena, King, Muimui and Ramon come to mind. Basically, anybody who can really get big damage for two-three bars and/or are really good in MAX mode is a good candidate. I think a large portion of the cast can fill the anchor role well, but these in particular I think stand out.

In particular, Geese can combo Raging Storm off of a CD wallsplat. Just hit it, dash up and RAGING STOOORM...then follow that up with a ground throw since Raging Storm is hard knockdown. That alone does like 60% or over 60%. For just one normal hit.

Ah, nice. I've only been playing at a friend's house since I don't have a ps4. I'm definitely learning more than 3 characters, I just want to cycle between them. I already have Iori as an anchor in a team, and I was already using Geese, so hearing him suiting the role sounds good. And ground throw as in his DP+A/C special? Or is that something else? This a jump in combo into his CD? Or is it a move I can just throw out in neutral?

Ah, nice. I've only been playing at a friend's house since I don't have a ps4. I'm definitely learning more than 3 characters, I just want to cycle between them. I already have Iori as an anchor in a team, and I was already using Geese, so hearing him suiting the role sounds good. And ground throw as in his DP+A/C special? Or is that something else? This a jump in combo into his CD? Or is it a move I can just throw out in neutral?

His ground throw is indeed the DP+A/C. Regarding his CD, I was referring to using it in the neutral. A lot of character's CDs are good in the neutral, since some can take advantage of the wallsplat, and they're special cancellable for blockstrings. You can't combo into CDs unless you MAX mode cancel into it, and in the case of Geese, you'd probably be better off learning optimal MAX mode combos instead of doing something like close.C/D, f+A, MAX cancel into CD.

But, back to Geese's CD, if you just hit with his CD in the neutral, you can run up and Raging Storm, since it hits OTG. It seems really damn effective to just have that tool at your disposal; if you have three bars, the opponent needs to be really weary of your neutral. One landed CD, and they're almost dead.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Um that seems op.

Well have I got news for you! Maxima and K.O.D have an army of moves that do the exact same thing! ;-)

Maxima even has a series of Videos where he shows off how OP he is! XD

Guard point is strong when used right, but it can be baited like anything else, and shifting ones timing turns an offensive / defensive hybrid into a free opening for the opponent. Considering you can super cancel the start-up of projectile throws in this game (even without them hitting) following up the projectile King tries to GP with a delayed super will catch her for full on damage.

Sayad

Well have I got news for you! Maxima and K.O.D have an army of moves that do the exact same thing! ;-)

Maxima even has a series of Videos where he shows off how OP he is! XD

Guard point is strong when used right, but it can be baited like anything else, and shifting ones timing turns an offensive / defensive hybrid into a free opening for the opponent. Considering you can super cancel the start-up of projectile throws in this game (even without them hitting) following up the projectile King tries to GP with a delayed super will catch her for full on damage.
Guard points are fine, but as far as KoF lightweight characters goes, I believe this is a first. All the ones I could remember were in special moves, not normals. And this seems like a pretty good guard point too, challenging King with fireballs wont be easy, as should be.

I'd take it as an apology for taking out air Venom Strike. :3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Guard points are fine, but as far as KoF lightweight characters goes, I believe this is a first. All the ones I could remember were in special moves, not normals. And this seems like a pretty good guard point too, challenging King with fireballs wont be easy, as should be.

I'd take it as an apology for taking out air Venom Strike. :3

I had to be reminded earlier today that Shen Woo's Far C had a guard point in XIII, lol. I'm looking at Kings not only as a projectile invuln tool, but also a way to help her absorb a laggy zoning blown and land the previously invincible-to-all-under-the-sun Illusion Dance.

As much as people say things like "Iori's rekkas are more punishable than usual!" there's a solid amount of pushback and minor recovery on options all over this game. And a lot less invulnerability on moves that have been 100% invulnerable basically since their creation. Openings seem kind of small to me, and turning Invincibility into damage lies within Invincible EX Moves -> DM cancels rather than just using a DM plainly.

Rhapsody

Banned
His ground throw is indeed the DP+A/C. Regarding his CD, I was referring to using it in the neutral. A lot of character's CDs are good in the neutral, since some can take advantage of the wallsplat, and they're special cancellable for blockstrings. You can't combo into CDs unless you MAX mode cancel into it, and in the case of Geese, you'd probably be better off learning optimal MAX mode combos instead of doing something like close.C/D, f+A, MAX cancel into CD.

But, back to Geese's CD, if you just hit with his CD in the neutral, you can run up and Raging Storm, since it hits OTG. It seems really damn effective to just have that tool at your disposal; if you have three bars, the opponent needs to be really weary of your neutral. One landed CD, and they're almost dead.

Nice, that was helpful. I've already had people wary of anti-air Raging Storm to begin with or even parries. So sounds like I might get away with more CDs if they're scared and staying grounded in neutral.

shaowebb

Because kicking her own fireballs wasn't enough, King pls!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LZJVck6ATI&feature=youtu.be

Um that seems op.

Doesn't work for Multi-hit fireballs, so there's that.

Heh. Yeah, that not working on multihit stuff brings back memories of how Iron Fist's dual palm never became a noteworthy tool for me. KOF is a different landscape though. Far fewer multihit projectiles in its landscape so this is still good in KOF 14 to learn IMO.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I figure they're trying to show the difference of Pro's playing the characters we're all used to from the demo.

Yeah, it is pretty stupid after the leak, just like having the 48 chara build on stage for Ryan's interview is weird. But using the demo build was announced before, according to the Prof, so we've actually known it was going to be this way.

I do really wonder who we'd see if it was the 48 build, at least. I enjoyed the Dino play, and the great use of Mai's fantastic stand B.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I actually enjoying all the Iori play. Good uses of EX scumgale, and some very XIV-style combos, rather than just cloning whatever was done in 2K2UM or such.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's not officially out but shops broke the street date in a lot of places. So many people already have it in hand.

Seeing Justin super lame it out is amusing, ha ha.

ah that explains it, was wondering why there's already an upload of all Climax supers lol

Top Bottom