• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

sibarraz

Banned
I always had thought that a yakuza like fatal fury based in the 90's could be an interesting game by SNK.

Or AOF in the 70's

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It would so easy...

No, cel shading needs no more than 2-4 shades for each color, true cel shading would be a not-monochromatic version of this + outline+ simple textures.
vxymid.jpg

BadWolf

Btw, at PSX the devs mentioned that the game was 70%-75% complete.

Someone mentioned on SRK that according to last week's Famitsu (which had 4 pages dedicated to XIV), it is now at 90% completion.

See, see, Kim does have SOME pants animation!
Just not enough, heh heh.

Ha, Shun'ei baited Kim with the back air dash.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that Kim will be a beast again. He received some slight nerfs but at the same time he will heavily benefit from XIV's system changes, very heavily.

Let's just hope they add some hair and clothing animation to him before release -_-

I always had thought that a yakuza like fatal fury based in the 90's could be an interesting game by SNK.

Or AOF in the 70's
They need to bring back their actual action franchises. A God of War style Princess Athena game and a TPS Ikari Warriors would bring back some really long dormant franchises. They did say they were looking to reuse old franchises...

TreIII

Btw, at PSX the devs mentioned that the game was 70%-75% complete.

Someone mentioned on SRK that according to last week's Famitsu (which had 4 pages dedicated to XIV), it is now at 90% completion.

Well, you'd think that by now, the game's dev cycle is winding down, and they can likely just focus on testing and QA over the next few months. Here's hoping that quality netcode is one of the main things they'll be ironing out over that time frame.

I'm also hoping that the game won't experience any last minute delays, like XIII did, for that matter. I mean, graphics detractors aside, this has the makings for a solid launch for KOFXIV in almost every aspect.

Or at least, we're getting a complete game, out the box. With 50 playable default characters, no less~!

Agreed. I never was too fond of kof 13's graphics to be honest. Something just looked off about the characters. They were low res aswell.

Im in the kof14 camp. The look is coming along nicely. Still needs improvements, but its getting there.

TreIII

Kyo looks great in this pic. Its absurd to me that people think SF4 or KOF13 looks better than this game.

The artstyle is not going to be to everyone's fancy, much like how the MVS-era sprites weren't.

But for me, XIV clearly looks to be an attempt to mimic the MVS-style in 3D, right down to the shiny/metallic look most of the characters have. And in that respect, that's why I dig XIV's overall artstyle.

LelouchViBritannia said:
Agreed. I never was too fond of kof 13's graphics to be honest. Something just looked off about the characters. They were low res aswell.

As a guy who thought Nona's illustrations were hit or miss since KOF2001, him being made the art director for 12/13's never really did much more me. It was just something I tried to put up with because I was trying to support the "new" KOFs of the time.

Agreed that this game sort of returns to that Shinkiro-inspired pseudo-real anime look that KOF had always had. KOF XII and XIII always looked like outliers in the franchise to me, and Nona's art direction was just too eclectic. Not to mention the strange decision to make those sprites for 480p in midst of the HD gaming era.

Technical issues notwithstanding, the KOF XIV visuals just seem a lot more of a logical evolution of classic SNK.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Where are people getting "KoF looked anime" anyway, outside of the HD sprites? They look more like a hybrid between stylized photorealistic and "cartoonish".

Where are people getting "KoF looked anime" anyway, outside of the HD sprites? They look more like a hybrid between stylized photorealistic and "cartoonish".
KOF always had a Japanese manga/anime-inspired drawing style, i.e. How certain facial features are drawn, hair styles, etc. It's different than saying it looks like an anime, which would mean something from Arc System Works or Street Fighter Alpha.

Definitely would not use photorealistic nor cartoonish to describe it.

NeonZ

The official art attempted to go for a realistic look, but the in-game art was more animeish compared to it due to the shading, even if it was more subtle than what you'd get in anime with as many different color shades. The shading of the sprites also clearly indicated they wanted something more realistic than what we'd see with Street Fighter Alpha or Guilty Gear's art styles. However, the in-game art for portraits and illustrations since KoF99 looked even more like a standard anime. It was much cleaner than in the previous games, with the shading working more like you'd expect out of anime-style illustrations.

k99-s3_zpshsnij6pp.png

Although, on the other hand, 99 and 00 likely have the most realistic official art in the series. Then an overall more animeish art style took over even for the official art starting from 2001. And then there was the overall art style of KoFXII and XIII, from sprites to illustrations.

BadWolf

SF4 is butt ugly and always has been. Luckily SFV looks wonderful.

Via Loona on MMCafe, there will be an invitational (?) tournament for KOFXIII this week:

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial_jp/status/727006891734265858

Trailer: http://kof13gwmatch.blog.fc2.com/

Really cool trailer, XIII is so epic and beautiful.

Professor did a translation:

It's relatively trivial-- there's an 8-player tournament happening in Akiba for KOF13 and SNKP will be giving out KOF14 goods, most likely the stuff they gave out at the past two events (plastic fan, towel, drink). It's a bit of a headscratcher as to why they're giving out the stuff to such a small tournament-- my guess is because there was a prelim held in SNK's hometown of Osaka. Either way, it seems like the company is starting to give some form of support to amature tournaments.

Really interesting to see SNK show support even to a small scale tournament like this when they would rarely, if ever, show up even to the biggest tournaments before.

Hope the tournament gets uploaded, would love to see players like M', Haregoro etc. in action.

Well, you'd think that by now, the game's dev cycle is winding down, and they can likely just focus on testing and QA over the next few months. Here's hoping that quality netcode is one of the main things they'll be ironing out over that time frame.

I'm also hoping that the game won't experience any last minute delays, like XIII did, for that matter. I mean, graphics detractors aside, this has the makings for a solid launch for KOFXIV in almost every aspect.

Or at least, we're getting a complete game, out the box. With 50 playable default characters, no less~!

The gameplay and balance seem to be the most far along. It's worth mentioning how stable all the playable builds have been, even the first one from PSX, with little to no reports of errors, crashes etc. at all, and the gameplay has been super refined since the first build as well.

The game is about 15% more complete since PSX but it has actually come a really long way, especially in the visual department. Kind of hoping the last 10% will see a nice boost as well hehe.

As for the Kyo screen shot above, I'm just so friggin glad they fixed his face.

JayEH

What is going on with all this "Kof 13 doesn't look great" lately. I'm fine with 14's graphics but you don't need to throw 13 under the bus. 13 still looks fantastic. There's a reason it took them a year and a half to make a character.

Warxard

Banned
What is going on with all this "Kof 13 doesn't look great" lately. I'm fine with 14's graphics but you don't need to throw 13 under the bus. 13 still looks fantastic. There's a reason it took them a year and a half to make a character.

People don't like Nona's art.

I don't like how KOFXIII made some characters like Ralf/Clark/Terry into fucking muscle walls.

Love Nona, but I won't lie and say that I like KOFXIII's graphics. Because I do not.

People don't like Nona's art.

I don't like how KOFXIII made some characters like Ralf/Clark/Terry into fucking muscle walls.

Love Nona, but I won't lie and say that I like KOFXIII's graphics. Because I do not.
One may not like the character designs, for sure, but to deny some of the best art direction and animation in video games ever, is absurd.

Tizoc

Japanese cartoons are generally refered to as anime
Besides this day amd sge there are tropes very specific to japanese media that appear in games and snime anyways

BadWolf

This channel uploaded this weekend's XIV tournament in higher quality.

Kim is potentially the worst looking character I've seen in the game yet. Those folds in his clothes look so bad.

Especially sad since he is usually one of the better looking characters in pretty much every game he has been in, I mean just look at this:

kim-kofxii-stance2.gif

Still hoping that maybe he isn't finished yet since his clothes and hair are so static. Leona's nice hair animation wasn't present in the first build after all and even in the latest trailer you could see that Angel's boob animation was simply missing completely.

That aside though, when Kim is actually in motion he looks fine, his key poses are strong and his attack animations have impact (the air EX super looks sweet).

qcf x2

Do you guys think they'll add atmospheric lighting? I may be using the wrong term, but what I mean is when the lighting in the stage affects the character models as well. I just noticed it's a big part of why the character models look sterile.

Het_Nkik

Good to see fixed Kyo on the box since they're still rockin' not-Kyo on the Atlus website.

Even though bad Kyo is still on the SteelBook, which hopefully isn't a final design.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think KoF is more recognizably anime than Street Fighter tbh, which for the most part always had a Western feel to me.

Sayad

Looks like he just sat down after blocking the jump in, the cross up was blocked automatically because he was stuck in block stun. If he wasn't stuck in block stun, that would have been a just defense block.

I think KoF is more recognizably anime than Street Fighter tbh, which for the most part always had a Western feel to me.
On the contrary, SF had two full on anime serieses, while no mainline KoF was drawn in that art style. It's just people who can't handle the shame of playing an anime game try to convince themselves SF isn't anime.

For a second there I though that was an air venom strike, then I noticed the smoke on the ground. :(

BadWolf

For a second there I though that was an air venom strike, then I noticed the smoke on the ground. :(

Oh man I'm so happy she lost that, no air venom strike and invincible EX tornado kick for you King.

Can't wait to take my revenge for all that she did to me in XIII, and to laugh in Beni's face on wake up (he has lost his DP and no longer has an invincible regular DM).

Korigama

It's a shame that Kula lost the knockdown property on the shard from Counter Shell and the Ray Spin --> Stand follow-up, but I suppose it was to bring her in line with how K' doesn't have knockdown on his projectiles.

OmegaDL50

Oh man I'm so happy she lost that, no air venom strike and invincible EX tornado kick for you King.

Can't wait to take my revenge for all that she did to me in XIII, and to laugh in Beni's face on wake up (he has lost his DP and no longer has an invincible regular DM).

I don't like how she lost her 97 / 98 version of her Tornado Kick.

I never liked the two quick-hit knockdown version. I always liked the multi-hitting rising spin kicks better to be honest, despite they were very unsafe on block and left her open to be crossover / back comboed, they did make for a good meterless BnB finisher though.

On that subject. Is there any footage of KOFXIV that shows that anyone getting one getting combo'd on a wake up or cross up situation like in the earlier games in which you were basically hitting the opponent in the back with them completely facing away from you.

That is one mechanic I found interesting in that some hits didn't cause your hit animation to immediately turn around and face the opponent. It was especially dangerous during a failed roll recovery and your back is just wide open for all kinds of abuse.

OmegaDL50

The only other game with that console exclusive signifier is SFV

PC port incoming?

It's possible. I think most of SNK ports on PC did well despite netcode issues. KOF XIII Steam edition still has an average player base of 130 users a day according to steamcharts.

I tried to look for the sales numbers for KOFXIII for Steam and kept getting links referring to Steam Sales and not the actual sales data. The fact that 100+ people are still playing it daily, I'd hope it's an indicator it did well enough for XIV to be considered for future PC release.

Top Bottom