• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If the demo's gonna be playable 24 hours like the venue... Ohh baby...

Ha, better be some late night breakdowns if they do that! Though I kinda doubt it, but that'd be awesome.

Where was my Thursday trailer this week?

Golden Week stole our new trailer and most of the weeks screenshots! I was hoping they'd release one on Friday... but only time will tell what's next, now...

BadWolf

Btw Daigo was asked yesterday on stream what upcoming fighter interests him the most and he said XIV.

Doesn't mean much though since he tends to just focus on the current SF so he may or may not play it.

Speaking of, what happen in KoF when you reflect static projectiles like Leona's Baltic Launcher?

Leona beats the reflector.

Iirc Ryo's fireball also beats the reflector unless his arm is in range of physically touching the reflector.

(in XIII at least)

If the demo's gonna be playable 24 hours like the venue... Ohh baby...

It has to be the new build right?

Hope they get to run a mini tournament.

Golden Week stole our new trailer and most of the weeks screenshots! I was hoping they'd release one on Friday... but only time will tell what's next, now...

I feel robbed.

Robbed.

Sayad

Didn't know about golden week, but I wasn't expecting a trailer this week, not after their all out reveals last week. And after the exhibition tournament, that's what I want to see the most right now, just take Kyo/Iori/Athena(probably best to avoid King and Kim too in NA) from the demo so people who want to win can't default to them. :)

Found this over at Cyberfanatix (who in turn, found it on Twitter):

ca01.gif

Wonder who's stage this will end up being!

That looks to have been found from looking at the official website's source code... it's path is missing from the sequentially numbered other backgrounds they've got on there.
Here's the lot of them (from the site - there's more in the game we've seen already)... just because awesome SNK backgrounds :D
Looking at them... are some renders from in-game and others drawings? You know, I wouldn't mind playing on some more pixelized or half-tone pattern versions like this!

m7ZM63F.gif

ovYqUQi.gif

24Sp3jS.gif

fVTKAqo.gif

J1EpT8Z.gif

Rwh2JXs.gif

MZ1uG84.gif

f44Pt0Z.gif

nlEXQs5.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Holy shit I just noticed

that fat guy in the background, that can't be how fat people look like when they sit!

OmegaDL50

What is Terry's Climax move supposed to be?

Isn't that basically the High Angle Geyser (i.e Power Dunk into Geyser) or a new move that looks awfully similar to the High Angle Geyser at least.

I just checked a video on Youtube, Star Dunk it is.

BadWolf

Billy's new Climax DM is so good.

The in game facial expressions are looking solid.

Some times you are the Revenger. And some times, a Dinosaur will be the one doing the Revenger on you.

Such is life~!

And what a glorious life it is.

Between this and the April 1st Godzilla-like poster between the two, it would be cool if they made a rivalry between them in the actual game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I kind of hope Maxima's CDM is a grapple this time. He's not the BIGGEST grappler anymore, sure, but I miss the aspect of close range = DM fear from him, and would be happy if at least SOMETHING of his acted like a replacement for the REVENGA.

And I once again hope he has MONGOLIAN back. df+C being buffed to be a more useful command normal was super nice, yes, but not as nice as a surprise overhead that could probably be super / MAX mode cancelled now.

That's one heck of a Firewall for Billy's Climax there, ha. I love that Geese's stage floor has the kinda detail that harkens back to 2D background design. The stage art really has a desire to tap into that feel, and while it achieves various levels of success, I still think it's good that it's in that ballpark. Brazil, China, and the City stage that Nako and Athena appear in all feel BIG, in a nice way.

I have to admit, I'm feeling antsy waiting for some more new info. Even getting a few new movelist on the site would be exciting at the moment. With all the parts that people keep saying feel like older KoF's, it's what they do with the EX's that has me most excited, as a new element to this game. And we're still in the dark about so many of them.

BadWolf

Not sure if this has been discussed but the Movies section of XIV's new site gives us a nice preview of the kinds of videos/trailers to expect:

- At least 2 more full on trailers
- 16 team trailers
- Boss trailers
- Web program

The last one is interesting, the thumbnail says "KOF Station: Channel - XIV".

TreIII

And what a glorious life it is.

Between this and the April 1st Godzilla-like poster between the two, it would be cool if they made a rivalry between them in the actual game.

I like how even SNK is acknowledging that King of Dinosaur's climax DM is a take on Maxima Revenger.

That would be pretty cool. Besides, before now, Tizoc really didn't have much in the way of character interaction besides other Fatal Fury series chars. And likewise, Maxima (much like the rest of K's crew), hasn't had much meaningful interaction outside of their group, either, for the last few games.

It's just the kind of thing that I was hoping that XIV would do, since they have a clean slate to work with, new characters added into the mix, and everything relating to character interaction seems to be getting a chance for a nice shot in the arm.

SAB CA said:
I have to admit, I'm feeling antsy waiting for some more new info. Even getting a few new movelist on the site would be exciting at the moment. With all the parts that people keep saying feel like older KoF's, it's what they do with the EX's that has me most excited, as a new element to this game. And we're still in the dark about so many of them.

Same here.

Also, I would think that since we now have a name for Shun'ei, our new protag, now would be the time to get him fully introduced to us, and maybe give us a brief preview of what exactly is going on in that world.

Is the guess right that Ash going for that reset meant everything that happened in the Ash Saga is pretty much of no consequence, now? And if so, what else has taken place in the KOF world, in the meantime? And how much more might it change, thanks to whatever Antonov and the new Big Bad might do with multiverse shenanigans in the mix?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Not sure if this has been discussed but the Movies section of XIV's new site gives us a nice preview of the kinds of videos/trailers to expect:

- At least 2 more full on trailers
- 16 team trailers
- Boss trailers
- Web program

The last one is interesting, the thumbnail says "KOF Station: Channel - XIV".

It's been mentioned here and there, but not much.

It also suggest we're through with teaser trailers. So the new trailers should focus on the known members of the team, and then premiere the remaining ones? And the AOF team has been marked as the next team to be updated for a while now...

It's just the kind of thing that I was hoping that XIV would do, since they have a clean slate to work with, new characters added into the mix, and everything relating to character interaction seems to be getting a chance for a nice shot in the arm.

Oh, for all the stuff they COULD do now. Story seems to have full on "Visual Novel" style cutscenes with voice to it. Imagine if certain edit teams had their own completely goofy side stories? Put Maxima, King od Dinosaurs, and Sylvie on a team, and suddenly, you have Mad Scientist Sylvie (in a bonus outfit you'd earn after completing the story) cackling about how her Super Robot M.A.X.I. Mark.A is launching, prepared to take on all challengers... or something like that.

At the end you find out this was all an elaborate set-up for Maxima to make a birthday present for Kula.

Same here.

Also, I would think that since we now have a name for Shun'ei, our new protag, now would be the time to get him fully introduced to us, and maybe give us a brief preview of what exactly is going on in that world.

But we saw a screaming demon! Surely that's enough! (O.O)

Naa, it's be nice to see him spoken of more. I'm glad he's introduced, but it would help to see him take the usual Invitation Burning + Pose stuff we've come to expect, as well as maybe give a short monologue that defines his personality.

Is the guess right that Ash going for that reset meant everything that happened in the Ash Saga is pretty much of no consequence, now? And if so, what else has taken place in the KOF world, in the meantime? And how much more might it change, thanks to whatever Antonov and the new Big Bad might do with multiverse shenanigans in the mix?

I always found it interesting that the ASH saga ending that showed him being erased from the timeline... didn't change the events he was erased from. Of course he was gone, but Chizuru was still in peril at the end of 2003, the meeting that happened were still around... I don't think they lost any of those moments, the circumstances were just shifted.

I think various characters should be aware of such a shift. Maybe those with "Psycho" powers, those who were strongly affected by the muddled events, and those who made some connections with the now-missing competitors, they themselves probably trying to fill a void left by a lost friend they can't even remember.

TreIII

Oh, for all the stuff they COULD do now. Story seems to have full on "Visual Novel" style cutscenes with voice to it. Imagine if certain edit teams had their own completely goofy side stories? Put Maxima, King od Dinosaurs, and Sylvie on a team, and suddenly, you have Mad Scientist Sylvie (in a bonus outfit you'd earn after completing the story) cackling about how her Super Robot M.A.X.I. Mark.A is launching, prepared to take on all challengers... or something like that.

At the end you find out this was all an elaborate set-up for Maxima to make a birthday present for Kula.

I like the way you think.

Perhaps it may equire paying the VAs more to record more lines (or not, if they want to cheap it out a bit for the "extra/omake" routes), which is one of the main things I could see putting a damper on the parade. But edit teams having different endings is something that I really missed as KOF games went by, and it was nice bonus if said edit team actually was pertinent to the plot (see: Three Treasures Team in 96, 97 and 03).

I mean, I'll actually be disappointed if Kensou, Mui Mui and whoever is the one who actually has "Dragon Power" on Team China didn't have an ending of their own. We've been waiting too long for some type of continuation to the Dragon plot without some type of means that actually puts those characters at the center of it!

I always found it interesting that the ASH saga ending that showed him being erased from the timeline... didn't change the events he was erased from. Of course he was gone, but Chizuru was still in peril at the end of 2003, the meeting that happened were still around... I don't think they lost any of those moments, the circumstances were just shifted.

I think various characters should be aware of such a shift. Maybe those with "Psycho" powers, those who were strongly affected by the muddled events, and those who made some connections with the now-missing competitors, they themselves probably trying to fill a void left by a lost friend they can't even remember.

And that's the thing I'm hoping they explore more. Even if the events still remain in some altered form, they'd have to explain what did occur in the meantime. Why was Chizuru still in some type of distress (if it's likely that neither her or Iori's treasures were ever taken)? Did the Orochi seal weaken at all, and is it at all a possibility that the other Hakkeshu could make a comeback sooner, rather than later?

The SNK lore geek in me is just dying to know what's going to happen. And this is with us STILL not having any idea who's the new scenario writer!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
http://i.imgur.com/g5UGUHZ.jpg
+1 SAB-CA Likes this image
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiJHKBvUoAAVar9.jpg:eek:rig

Bandeiras's pants tho

They're showing a lot of effects this week! I really like ones like Sylvie's and Athena's, they look very fit for the game, and like they're "Modern projectile effects".

The Flames generally look like a large fire animated texture that has lower-transparency edges to them, that makes them feel less like projectiles, and more like photo-effects plastered into the image. This feel is diminished in motion, but in stills, it's nowhere as nice as SNK's old hand-drawn fire and smoke.

Kukri's sand looks great, they did a great job with that.

Now I hope we have an awesome water user somewhere in the new characters...

And I really like Bandeiras pants, they seem to have done quite the commendable job modeling them.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
http://www.stunfest.fr/2016/05/11/burn-to-fight/

Stunfest and VS Dojo are pleased to announce that THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV will be available to play for the first time in Europe during this year’s Stunfest at Rennes (France) on May 20th/21st/22nd 2016.
A dedicated KOF XIV area will let you try the latest 24 characters build over the 3 whole days of Stunfest! We’ll also be holding a special exhibition tournament with the finest KOF fighters from all around the world, in addition to lots of special activities and some KOF XIV goodies to win! A dedicated stream feed will give viewers non-stop KOF XIV content, matches, interviews and more!

BadWolf

It's been mentioned here and there, but not much.

It also suggest we're through with teaser trailers. So the new trailers should focus on the known members of the team, and then premiere the remaining ones? And the AOF team has been marked as the next team to be updated for a while now...

Thanks, the team trailers will likely be next but they won't be able to release all the content there prior to the game's launch if they do just a single weekly trailer.

And yeah the AOF team appears to be next so we will hopefully be seeing Yuri soon.

Damn, already two public showings lined up for May? For a while there I was worried we were in for a dry month after the April blitz lol.

Man, SNK has been doing an amazing job promoting the game, long gone are the days of the Answer and crew dragging an arcade board to an event and barely being able to set up the machine for a short stream time (with a cam held by one of his buddies).

Sayad

Without those eyes I'd find her design... acceptable. As is it makes me uncomfortable and I say that as a fan of Tool's music videos.
Don't think they were aiming for acceptable while giving her a dress that looks like a children swimming tube, long socks with mismatched colors and huge eyeballs as decorations... I'd say "uncomfortable" is closer to their goal with that design. :3

In NA, they stopped showing the game on their own the moment they found a publisher, so they probably still don't have one in EU since they're showing it there on their own. Never a bad thing though, showing that there's interest for the game there could end up with someone picking it up.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks, the team trailers will likely be next but they won't be able to release all the content there prior to the game's launch if they do just a single weekly trailer.

And yeah the AOF team appears to be next so we will hopefully be seeing Yuri soon.
*nod* It'll be interesting to see how stuff rolls out from now on. Just need to... roll it out again. These golden, quiet weeks! XD

Damn, already two public showings lined up for May? For a while there I was worried we were in for a dry month after the April blitz lol.

Man, SNK has been doing an amazing job promoting the game, long gone are the days of the Answer and crew dragging an arcade board to an event and barely being able to set up the machine for a short stream time (with a cam held by one of his buddies).

They're quite aggressive right now. I'm enjoying it a lot! This is the kind of excitement I want to see in a fighter, and outside of KoF, I don't know if I've felt this hype to see new reveals since MVC3's reveals, really.

Man it's not that far from home, I wish I could go there at least one day to try out the game. But no way to escape daddy duty though, so I guess I'll just watch the stream like a pleb.

Ouch, well at least it's for a good, if not the best reasons! :) Being so close but so far... being in the U.S., I'm just "far" and that's more bearable, heh.

I love how this looks like the zoomed out, more developed version of Guile's SFV stage. It might not be populated by lots of people... but that's a lot of poly's spent on a fleet of background crafts, some people, and the tower.

In NA, they stopped showing the game on their own the moment they found a publisher, so they probably still don't have one in EU since their showing it there on their own. Never a bad thing though, showing that there's interest for the game there could end up with someone picking it up.

This is how I view it too. SNK does the heavy lifting before they have a pub ready to do it for them. That's actually great, and even a bit rare. Imagine if Sega took it's PSO2 or random anime tie-in RPGs around to foreign fighting cons before they were confirmed for release in those territories?

It's very aggressive and shows confidence in their product, so I'm quite happy to see them like this.

Amedo310

SNK's website has about 20 upcoming trailers on the official website. I think they are done with character teaser and are going to do team trailers. They are 2 more official trailer like the two on that came out on April 25th.

I love Daimon's slow motion monster roar. Good trailer!

I'll accept these for the trailers showing off the characters that haven't had gameplay yet. They should get the K' Team trailer out of the way soon, because they're the only team that has had all the characters revealed with gameplay. Fatal Fury Team could also count, but Joe never got a proper reveal trailer.

BadWolf

Those Daimon eyes O_O

Kyo and that stage have come such a long way since the first teaser.

I'll accept these for the trailers showing off the characters that haven't had gameplay yet. They should get the K' Team trailer out of the way soon, because they're the only team that has had all the characters revealed with gameplay. Fatal Fury Team could also count, but Joe never got a proper reveal trailer.

You mean he got the best reveal trailer.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yay, the getta on Goro's feed still flap about loosely as he does his DP throw. And his pants look... pretty detailed for Goro. I... still want him a bit bigger, but they seem to have done a solid job with him otherwise.

AND HE HAS EYES! WHERE HAVE THEY BEEN ALL THESE YEARS!?!

CiN584iXEAEK8Qp.jpg:large

*ahem* I'm glad they're showing off combos with EX moves. This is an intergral part of the system, and it's smart to show it off. It also gives us something to look forward to, even for characters we've seen.

Also, good on them for using the team stages and music. For a random quote from an option in Guardian Heroes: "This is the way it must be!"

What a weird release time. I like the surprise! *F5's manically for the next surprise update*

Holy fuck Daimon has eyes

I'm guessing it's actually gonna follow the team order that's above the news section in every page, so expect the order to be Japan->Yagami->Fatal Fury->AoF->Kim->Villains->Invitation->South America->Mexico->South Town->China->Psycho Soldier->Ikari->Another World->K'->Women->Bosses

TreIII

Good to see I wasn't the only one taken aback by Daimon's randomly open eyes.

Daimon's model looks good, too. Definitely closer to his MVS era sprites.

Edgeward

I haven't been keeping up but are the command motions the same as before? Like I am gonna need to do hcb,f, hcb to do a dp into super? I am hoping they simplify the commands to something more reasonable.

I haven't been keeping up but are the command motions the same as before? Like I am gonna need to do hcb,f, hcb to do a dp into super? I am hoping they simplify the commands to something more reasonable.

those are reasonable

hcb f hcf to DP into Super is already supposed to help you

Top Bottom