• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Loona

was Haidern a participant during Geese/Tung/Takuma/Saisyu's times or did he only join when Leona came around?

Heidern was in KoFs 94 and 95, before Leona's 96 debut - and he shared a team with Takuma and Saishyu in 98, implying they're at least on decent terms.

As for Duck King, his animations in XI seem based on his Real Bout self.

TreIII

Say, in KoFXI the Duck King sprite was new right? I don't remember him having that sprite in his debut. Then again I skipped a few FF games prior to Garou.

Anyway yeah - Gato, Tizoc and Jenet could still be doing their jobs even if you remove the Garou equation, so they're fine to be in KoF timeline (granted the reasoning was reusing assets, but still), unlike say, the Kim brothers or Rock. Even in XIII I think Dong and Jae were still kids.

The only problem that Gato's presence really generated was in his team's XI ending, which showcased Hotaru as being at or near her age from MOTW. They'd have a lot of explaining to do, considering Rock is supposed to be one year older than her, and yet still depicted as a young boy in most other mainstream KOF material (including his appearance in Terry's team ending in 2003).

But in any case, I always wrote off 2003 and XI as just being weird things that mucked with KOF canon in unintentional ways. How were they going to let Terry be the only one that "aged", and yet Ryo didn't age with him, for example?

It's probably a good thing that XIV's story serves as an effective "soft reboot" after XIII's ending, for more reasons than one.

BadWolf

Xanadu is the new Yamazaki. Really.

Xanadu isn't the new anyone, the dude is kind of in his own league.

But in any case, I always wrote off 2003 and XI as just being weird things that mucked with KOF canon in unintentional ways. How were they going to let Terry be the only one that "aged", and yet Ryo didn't age with him, for example?

I remember reading somewhere that the staff at that time was comprised of a lot of new blood and they were the ones that messed it up.

SNK seems to have backtracked on all of that with XII and beyond.

I always wrote off 2003 and XI as just being weird things that mucked with KOF canon in unintentional ways. How were they going to let Terry be the only one that "aged", and yet Ryo didn't age with him, for example?

It's probably a good thing that XIV's story serves as an effective "soft reboot" after XIII's ending, for more reasons than one.

I remember reading somewhere that the staff at that time was comprised of a lot of new blood and they were the ones that messed it up.

Hence why none of the original characters from the Ash Crimson Saga have returned & why SNK's trying to make a lot of people forget that 2003, XI & XIII had ever happened.

Heck, if people miss characters like Duo Lon & Shen Woo, they can easily make new characters & give them their movesets just like they did with Shun'ei from Rock, Hein from Oswald/Heidern & Nelson from Heavy D.

Saoshyant

I liked Shen Woo's design and moveset, but if not having him means Ash Crimson stays in the garbage bin forever, I'm all for it.

TreIII

...I think I remember that factoid too, now that you mention it. Would certainly make a lot of sense.

Hence why none of the original characters from the Ash Crimson Saga have returned & why SNK's trying to make a lot of people forget that 2003, XI & XIII had ever happened.

I dunno. I think that was more an orchestrated move to try and promote more new chars (especially in light of XII and XIII having a lack of that), rather than just snubbing Ash and his saga altogether.

It's just like how by the beginning of the NESTS saga, all of the Orochi originals largely went poof, too. Even Chizuru didn't make a playable appearance again until 2003.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ClXJag_UgAAEDDa.jpg:orig

Think it's a command dodge?

BadWolf

Development on the game is complete according to Professor from MMCafe:

The game is done and they're just waiting for approval (SCE's rating/approval very obviously). They're preparing for launch.

I need write an article on that, sorry it's been a tad busy.

It started in April, 2014 so it took them a little over two years.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Heidern was in KoFs 94 and 95, before Leona's 96 debut - and he shared a team with Takuma and Saishyu in 98, implying they're at least on decent terms.

As for Duck King, his animations in XI seem based on his Real Bout self.

Ah I guess he would know of Antonov then possibly.

Ah I never managed to play much of FFRB, so that explains much lol

The only problem that Gato's presence really generated was in his team's XI ending, which showcased Hotaru as being at or near her age from MOTW. They'd have a lot of explaining to do, considering Rock is supposed to be one year older than her, and yet still depicted as a young boy in most other mainstream KOF material (including his appearance in Terry's team ending in 2003).

maybe in KoF timeline hotaru and rock are of different age? it would allow Hotaru to be playable!

ClXJag_UgAAEDDa.jpg:orig

Think it's a command dodge?

Xanadu, ARE YOU OKAY?

Everything about Xanadu is garbage.
Literally everything. Except his design, his moveset, his personality, his voice actor and his stage.

Btw, will there be any type of online beta or something for this game? Would really love to know whether the netcode is gonna be any good before I spend money on this game.

BadWolf

Professor on impressions from JP players:

Overall the general consensus from experienced Japanese players is that the game is neutral-game based so it's easy for 98 players to dive into, but the normals aren't as strong so it might not nessesarily turn into that much of a poking game. On the other hand, players that started from KOF13 will probably have a hard time adjusting because the semi-close range is a harder game since you can't cancel the far normals. You also can't rely on wins from death combos, and EX moves seem to be nurfed in terms of invincibility. So if you were covering your lack of neutral game using random EX attacks into drive combos, 14 will probably be a difficult game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
V slasher trades with itself now; Invincibility is just DOWN now in general, I'd say. King Can't Illusion Dance through a projectile! Do you know how many matches of CVS, 98, and 2k2UM I've won by eating jumps and projectiles with that? XD

90% Death Combos are gone... prepare to be greeted by 40%-70% Death Combos! These shorter combos should be much, much harder to drop for players, whereas the strongest combos in XIII normally gave many, many times for someone to drop them. As a Leona wanna-mainer, my biggest issues was less that "death combos" existed, and more that mine was much harder to land / position properly than the other easy-peasy-Flame-Loris and such. That's definitely not an issue here; combo states are much easier to land, as long as you can get the starters for you MAX combo down, which is a pretty universal skill you'll need to master now / again.

Far C's aren't cancellable, but Far Cs will still probably be great MAX starters. That's roughly the same thing, in a way. Heck, it might be worse in time...

A wider variety of characters seem to get solid starts (like comboing into their command normals) off close lights now. I don't mind this change, personally. 2 Hit normals seem like they're being positioned to be all you need in a combo pre-specials (Such as 2 hits from Ralf's close C, or both hits of King's cl. D) rather than adding in the command normal too. I'd say this is also part of shortening the longer combos, by taking out a slowing step. It also might bring down their damage a tad.

It really feels like this is going to be a strong normals / footsies game, since things that normally beat them (crazy cross-ups, crazy invulnerability) now seem more prone to just run into them and get beat. Once you land the hits, the combos will flow, and the damage will be huge, but you've got to try harder to land that initial hit. I guess as long as you have fun building up to that hit, everything cool! One combo from either side can instantly make the match TENSE again, so upsets and turn-overs should be common?

I feel like a focus on normals will also make Maxima a bit stronger by default, heh heh.

Your reasoning is sound and i tend to agree somewhat, but remember Oda said this about "the uniqueness of KOF's battle" in a Famitsu interview...

I think it's the mind-reading that takes place during the speed-paced battle. All fighting games aren't too different from each other when it comes to their speed of attack motions, but the moving speed of characters, the timings for cancels, hitstops, hit detections, reset timings, amongst other basic points in game systems makes a huge difference. So we're certainly keeping a lot of attention on that. Although when it comes to talking about "what makes a KOF", there's so many iterations of KOFs (laughs). But it won't be the type of fighting game that emphasizes "footsies". There'll be running and jumping; we want to bring the thrilling battle that makes a "KOF".

BadWolf

It's kinda funny seeing them mention EX moves and the neutral game when just a few days ago one guy on SRK started a big argument about how locking EX moves behind max mode was a bad idea. Said it wouldn't let him do stuff like blow through people's fireball game.

Far normals are interesting now because the hitboxes and hurtboxes seem to be so much more accurate in XIV. Stuff doesn't tend to hit just because, if something visually looks like it will go over someone then it will usually miss (this is true for special moves as well). So stuff like far Cs etc. whiff regularly on crouching characters and get beat by low hitting normals. It all just looks right.

On using far normals to activate into max mode, it seems similar to yolo overhead activations. You're doing it on a guess (unless it's to punish a move from recovery) and it will most likely end as a waste of meter more often than not. You could also see Xiao Hai start punishing this towards the end at Stunfest. Not to mention just whiffing hard normals hoping for a yolo activation leaves you open to lows, jump ins and guard cancel punishes.

Also I think someone who played the game at the JP locktest mentioned that the activation stage felt easier since he was easily doing it with characters he had never played before. Also mentioned that in XIV you no longer get a far normal if you activate on the later frames of a normal like in XIII. If true then that is probably one of the reasons the activations felt easier.

For those people who are having issues with the activation stage (normals > activation > normals), you still have the option of using activation bypass (normals > bypass into EX move).

One thing I've mentioned before and still consider valid is that people are going overboard with max combos at the moment. Normal supercancel combos seem to be doing comparable damage and are much easier to do. Another advantage of a normal combo over a max combo is that normal combos build a lot more meter. If you load up XIII and try doing the BnB combo everyone is doing with Kyo in XIV, you will see that the difference in damage is very small (about 10%) but the difference in power meter built by the normal combo is pretty significant (since with max combos you stop building meter the moment you activate).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Your reasoning is sound and i tend to agree somewhat, but remember Oda said this about "the uniqueness of KOF's battle" in a Famitsu interview...

On a personal level, I consider hop normals and anti-airing them with other properly used normals to basically be "footsies" within KoF's realm, actually. A hop DM from a Vice or Takuma just feels like an upper ground Roundhouse or Fierce, basically.

Especially with Wall Splat now, Fishing for a ground CD will also be just a bit stronger that before, since characters seem built with an array of tools to cash in on the situation from a variety of ranges. Counter Hit CD into DM or 2nd CD was strong in the past, but Counter Hit CD into wallsplat into Combo+Super, projectile + MAX, solo MAX activation, or late hits for resets should be a nightmare once people get used to it all. All of that stacked on that it's basically a super corner-carry tool.

Maxima seems a little faster too, that and overall better normals will help him a lot.

It's kinda funny seeing them mention EX moves and the neutral game when just a few days ago one guy on SRK started a big argument about how locking EX moves behind max mode was a bad idea. Said it wouldn't let him do stuff like blow through people's fireball game.

I saw part of that discussion and it seemed that no one even brought up the possibility that both players could decide to activate in neutral and have access to EX moves at the same time too.

Still consistent with an emphasis on the neutral game, there's no contradiction here. Traditional KOF neutral just entails more than "footsies" in the SF sense.

Hyun Sai

Is is the first Kof where we can see Athena's panties ? I got the feeling they always managed to hide them before despite the short dress...

BadWolf

Maxima seems a little faster too, that and overall better normals will help him a lot.

He and Chin have both been sped up nicely.

Is is the first Kof where we can see Athena's panties ? I got the feeling they always managed to hide them before despite the short dress...

I believe so, they are bloomers I think?

Iirc people did a frame by frame study of her XII sprite for science and there were none there.

Probably harder to hide in 3D without making things look awkward so they just let it rock in XIV, doesn't look like they went overboard though.

Well, technically...

6EF4A1F55.gif

But I guess you could say aside from that, then yeah.

Also, I real like with the announcer. It sounds like they randomly change between a male and female announcer with various NON-ENGRISHY phrases. I like it!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Maxima gets faster as Athena's Run and walk get slower... It's a weird world! He's one of the few "big guys" who seems now be getting turned into a slow tank. Makes him even more special!

I saw part of that discussion and it seemed that no one even brought up the possibility that both players could decide to activate in neutral and have access to EX moves at the same time too.

Yeah, might have been a good idea. Both activating EX and then getting into a projectile war might end up being funny, heh.

Still consistent with an emphasis on the neutral game, there's no contradiction here. Traditional KOF neutral just entails more than "footsies" in the SF sense.

Yeah, I always found the feel of sticking out King's far D to have the same kind of satisfying read as the grounded footsie game in a SF. And I've often loved KoF's crazy nice normals more; Strong punches that pop out as quick as jabs, weak kicks that have some insanely great range, and those cancelable sweeps and using command moves to cut / extend the distance of a backdash... it all feels so nice and spry.

Don't think this Gamespot video was posted? Not the most exciting of fights but it's a good capture at least.

It was posted yesterday on SRK, apparently 5 or so days ago on Gamespot, lol. Not great gameplay, sure, but you can see the CPU knows some combos, and you can hear the themes pretty well, since it's direct feed without talking. Best I've heard of the Ikari theme on the Heidern fleet yet.

Well, in Maximum Impact, her "another" was a flasher too, but her traditional outfits wore leggings or more covering things like shorts.

Sure, they're bloomers rather than panties here, but... eesh, she can't even spin around pre-match without the dress going too high, lol. I do like the fact she's not wearing something lacy or such, but it's still weird for her.

Well, technically...

But I guess you could say aside from that, then yeah.

Yeah, Bikini bottoms don't count, lol.

Also, I real like with the announcer. It sounds like they randomly change between a male and female announcer with various NON-ENGRISHY phrases. I like it!

The male announcer is tied to player 1 and the female announcer to player 2 iirc. Pretty cool.

Yeah, I quite like them too. It's like each player has their own personal advocate. "I believed in you!" "Godlike!" "1 more to go!" "HA ha ha HAAAA!". It's a nice little detail.

Het_Nkik

They look like shorts/bloomers/spatz, which she's shown off way more of in other games. Especially XI.

PwG9TDC.png

She's also had some naked butt transformations here and there through the years.

ZenTzen

This is what he looks like in the KOF timeline:

terry-with-rock.gif

Geese, King of Dinosaurs, classic Terry etc. are all good indications that they want to keep Garou separate.

we were discussing possibilities, nothing else, and theres no clear indication of nothing, we already had Gato, B.jenet, hotaru and Tizoc in kof, and putting KoD in doesnt seem to me like they want to seperate themselves from Garou, and speaking of terrys old design, that has been mainly because its his most recognizable design

and this is how he looks in KOF 2k3 Fatal Fury ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro_Gs7P74qA
1679666-kof2k3fat_28.gif

BadWolf

Still the best Athena design:

we were discussing possibilities, nothing else, and theres no clear indication of nothing, we already had Gato, B.jenet, hotaru and Tizoc in kof, and putting KoD in doesnt seem to me like they want to seperate themselves from Garou, and speaking of terrys old design, that has been mainly because its his most recognizable design.

His Fatal Fury 1 design is his most recognizable?

BadWolf

the red jacket wether with sleeves or sleeveless(more the sleeveless one), with blue jeans, red fatal fury cap and red all-stars is his most recognizable look yes

Not really, the sleeves design hasn't been used in forever. Joe has also returned to his more Fatal Fury self. Geese has returned. Tizoc has been changed to KOD. There is no Gato. Shun'ei has been created with a clear Rock influence. There is no B. Jenet (replaced by Love Heart, another pirate) and the devs have said that they have no intention of putting Rock into KOF... but yeah, there has been no indication at all of SNK's intentions.

ZenTzen

Not really, the sleeves design hasn't been used in forever. Joe has also returned to his more Fatal Fury self. Geese has returned. Tizoc has been changed to KOD. There is no Gato. Shun'ei has been created with a clear Rock influence. There is no B. Jenet (replaced by Love Heart, another pirate) and the devs have said that they have no intention of putting Rock into KOF... but yeah, there has been no indication at all of SNK's intentions.

KoD is still Tizoc i dont get your train of thought, theres no gato or B.jenet but they are still part of the universe, or that they completely removed their chances of appearing in a future kof, and as i said its the combination of the pieces of clothing and color scheme for terry, when people think of terry its the red jacket fatal fury cap, his whole general old design that is recognizable, in the same way, characters in Street Fighter like Ryu, ken, chun, etc, are recognizable by their color schemes alone, also as i said before they have no intention of putting Rock in KOF before an eventual Garou 2, i dont get what you're trying to argue

BadWolf

i dont get what you're trying to argue

Then why did you even bring this argument back?

If you can't see the point in separating one cast from another, enough for people to want to buy the different IPs, then there's nothing else to say. Keeping popular characters like Rock tied to a series gives that series more value. If I were SNK I wouldn't stick him into KOF even after a Garou 2.

ZenTzen

Then why did you even bring this argument back?

If you can't see the point in separating one cast from another, enough for people to want to buy the different IPs, then there's nothing else to say. Keeping popular characters like Rock tied to a series gives that series more value. If I were SNK I wouldn't stick him into KOF even after a Garou 2.

and my original point was that theres a possibility that rock may appear in the FUTURE, but only AFTER an eventual MoTW2, you on the other hand, seem to think theres no way thats ever gonna happen, something i dont agree with, especially when one of the points of KOF is bringing their most popular characters into a fighting game, and its not like they never put him in other games even if they are not mainline KOF, like NGBC or KOF:MI, so putting him into mainline KOF in the future, after a MoTW2 isnt something that farfetched

It started in April 2014 so it took them a little over two years.

Though the reason why it took that long was because that SNK was in big trouble financially before being obtained by a chinese company, not to mention that they had to get most of the past staff from Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu back to help them out on the game.

Athena's panties.

If you're referring to the picture that Het_Nkik had posted, they wouldn't be that big, LOL.

My original point was that theres a possibility that rock may appear in the FUTURE, but only AFTER an eventual MoTW2, you on the other hand, seem to think theres no way thats ever gonna happen, something i dont agree with, especially when one of the points of KOF is bringing their most popular characters into a fighting game, and its not like they never put him in other games even if they are not mainline KOF, like NGBC or KOF:MI, so putting him into mainline KOF in the future, after a MoTW2 isnt something that farfetched

The purpose of KOF is fighters from Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, etc. being all under one roof in which characters don't age at all.

Putting a 17-year-old Rock in a mainline KOF just for the sake of appeasing whining fans like you would muck that all up as it would defeat it's purpose, because SNK would have to explain how a teenaged Rock is playable while Geese is still alive & why Rock is still a small kid (& will always be a small kid in the KOF storyline).

ZenTzen

The purpose of KOF is fighters from Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, etc. being all under one roof in which characters don't age at all.

Putting a 17-year-old Rock in a mainline KOF just for the sake of appeasing whining fans like you would muck that all up as it would defeat it's purpose, because SNK would have to explain how a teenaged Rock is playable while Geese is still alive & why Rock is still a small kid (& will always be a small kid in the KOF storyline).

maybe you should try to follow the conversation, before spouting accusations of me whining about rock not being in kof, so i'll humour your laziness and enlighten you

the conversation i was having with BadWolf, was on the possibility of Rock being in kof, not once was i clamoring for rock to be in it, only stating that there is a possibility of him being in a future one, after a new Garou game

also, heres rock in the ending of KOF 2003, where hes not a small kid
1679666-kof2k3fat_28.gif

so next time you decide to do some drive-by posting, and insulting people without any idea on what the actual discussion is about, i suggest you do your homework first

BadWolf

and my original point was that theres a possibility that rock may appear in the FUTURE, but only AFTER an eventual MoTW2, you on the other hand, seem to think theres no way thats ever gonna happen, something i dont agree with, especially when one of the points of KOF is bringing their most popular characters into a fighting game, and its not like they never put him in other games even if they are not mainline KOF, like NGBC or KOF:MI, so putting him into mainline KOF in the future, after a MoTW2 isnt something that farfetched

Nothing is too far fetch when Muimui and Love Heart have made it into a KOF but, all factors considered, the likelihood of Rock appearing in KOF now is about as strong as it has been for the last 15 years.

Though the reason why it took that long was because that SNK was in big trouble financially before being obtained by a chinese company, not to mention that they had to get most of the past staff from Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu back to help them out on the game.

They built a new team from scratch (the KOFXIII team was disbanded after development on that finished), set up an environment to make 3D games (something SNK had very little experience with) and put together a game with 50 characters, over 16 stages and supposedly a lot of single player content. Not half bad for 2 years of development.

Compared to that they could make a new Garou, LB or Samsho in no time.

ZenTzen

Nothing is too far fetch when Muimui and Love Heart have made it into a KOF but, all factors considered, the likelihood of Rock appearing in KOF now is about as strong as it has been for the last 15 years.

which was my point, i never said or implied that he would appear now in a kof game, only after a new garouwhich is when he'll have more of a chance to appear

forgot to comment on this, this stage looks like the best stage they revealed so far, looks far better than the others we've seen as of now in my opinion

BadWolf

which was my point, i never said or implied that he would appear now in a kof game, only after a new garouwhich is when he'll have more of a chance to appear

No, my point is that there is little to no chance of him appearing in KOF. Ever.

You like to post that picture of Rock from 2003, do you by any chance remember how Terry looked in that game? Compare that to how he has looked since in KOF and now in XIV.

Giving him the MOTW outfit indicates aging, which means they would have to age a lot of the other characters as well, especially from FF and AOF. They have clearly backtracked on that, not just in terms of his look but his gameplay as well.

ZenTzen

No, my point is that there is little to no chance of him appearing in KOF. Ever.

and i dont agree with you at all on that topic when SNK themselves have put him in other FGs even if they are not main numbered KOF games, and his inclusion is mainly a matter of time and hopefuly snks future success

You like to post that picture of Rock from 2003, do you by any chance remember how Terry looked in that game? Compare that to how he has looked since in KOF and now in XIV.

Giving him the MOTW outfit indicates aging, which means they would have to age a lot of the other characters as well, especially from FF and AOF. They have clearly backtracked on that, not just in terms of his look but his gameplay as well.

only posted that picture 2 times, and it was only to be 1 time, to show you that rock isnt really a little kid anymore, and the only thing they have backtracked was giving him his more iconic look, which really doesnt indicate just aging, which they have in some aspects, like kyo not being in highschool anymore, it can also indicate just a simple style change, neither does his gameplay, because if that was so, there was no reason to bring back fireball kyo in XII/XIII, instead of just having bodega kyo

BadWolf

only posted that picture 2 times, to show you that rock isnt really a little kid anymore, and the only thing they have backtracked was giving him his more iconic look, which really doesnt indicate just aging, which they have in some aspects, like kyo not being in highschool anymore, it can also indicate just a simple style change, neither does his gameplay, because if that was so, there was no reason to bring back fireball kyo in XII/XIII, instead of just having bodega kyo

I mention facts and you just come back with excuses. Ignore all the changes and ignore what they are doing in XIV, just rely on that one picture from a game that people want to remember even less than XII.

FYI, this is what Kim's kids look like in XIII:

Top Bottom