• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

GrayFoxPL

Do we know anything about legacy controllers/skullgirls driver for KOFXIV?

This is a must for me, I hope they'll use it. Even latest GG has it. Please SNK!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

This is a must for me, I hope they'll use it. Even latest GG has it. Please SNK!

That's a good question, since they havent said anything yet im assuming there's no PS3 stick support.
Gonna suck to play KOF on a DS4 :(

MaxHouse

Banned
Would you guys agree that KoF has the deepest fighting system in any 2d fighter...more than Skullgirls, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter etc.

Without Ash around, there's really no reason for them to appear at all.

Ash was the main reason why they were around in 2003, XI & XIII in the first place.

Does Shen even need a reason beyond wanting to beat the shit out of strong people? They could do something with Ron to get Duo involved (god knows that storyline has to move at least once this decade). Betty could get dragged into this by Chin or something just like K was I dunno.

I still think that the ash saga is connected to this storyline, I had no doubts that they will appear on the next game

I don't know about that. If there's no reference from either Kyo, Iori, Vice or Mature about Iori receiving his powers back or not referencing anything about Ash at all, then it's safe to conclude that the Ash Crimson Saga never happened.

Also, 0 characters appearing from the Ash Crimson Saga while there's 5 characters from the NESTS Saga & 25 characters from the Orochi Saga is pretty telling. I just think that SNK wants to forget that the Ash Crimson Saga as well as it's original characters ever existed.

qcf x2

Would you guys agree that KoF has the deepest fighting system in any 2d fighter...more than Skullgirls, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter etc.

I would not, but I must admit that I am nowhere near "good" at KoF, so I'm probably speaking from a position of relative ignorance. Compared to Garou, where you had a frame-specific mastery system like Just Defend, the TOP system, along with the general flow of the games and the balancing, I would say KoF always feels more like "fun" and less like, I dunno, serious. It's not over the top like Capcom's VS series, so I can't compare it to that, but I feel like it's meant to fit a unique niche, one that's less life or death than Fatal Fury but at the same time difficult to master. I mean in 2002 most of the characters could do the same C, f+a, special/super combo. Obviously specific characters had specific combos and you did have the innovative MAX mode which lead to shenanigans that required your input game to be on point, but most KoF games are not what I'd call speed chess. I would actually love to have some of the better KoF vets in this thread answer your question.

I disliked Ash and all the characters associated to that saga. IMO they were the weakest SNK designs and I feel zero attachment for them. I would say I'm glad they are gone but in a game with a huge roster, I wouldn't have been angry at SNK if they threw one of two of them in there. But then who to get rid of? Everybody in XIV looks like they belong so far.

most KoF games are not what I'd call speed chess

I'd find that fitting actually, due to so many things you'd expect to react to in many other games requiring to commit to reads in KOF due to speed alone. There's a prevalence of preemptively occupying space in the neutral as well as making more decisions in less time during offensive pressure due to having control of your character more often that you would expect, and more choices that may be considered valid even if you try to narrow things down.

TreIII

I don't know about that. If there's no reference from either Kyo, Iori, Vice or Mature about Iori receiving his powers back or not referencing anything about Ash at all, then it's safe to conclude that the Ash Crimson Saga never happened.

Also, 0 characters appearing from the Ash Crimson Saga while there's 5 characters from the NESTS Saga & 25 characters from the Orochi Saga is pretty telling. I just think that SNK wants to forget that the Ash Crimson Saga as well as it's original characters ever existed.

As much as I would love for certain Ash Saga characters to never appear again, I doubt it'll be that cut 'n dry.

What we can conclude, based off of the events of XIII's "true" ending, is that Ash erased himself from existence, yes. But what is a possibility (as I think Loona, SAB CA and myself may have discussed a while back), is that his omission just made it so the events that transpired in those years just may have unfolded in a different way that we, the viewers/players, have yet to see the full repercussions play out.

I think probably the more telling aspects will be in the form of what happened to other characters like Tizoc aka King Dino, whether they're on the roster or not. Did Tizoc take a different turn to make him want to take up a heel persona, because he never met Terry back during '03's events? Is Orochi's seal still weakening (and made it so that Iori still beat up poor Shingo at some point and Heidern kept Leona out of active duty for a bit so she could get her act together)? Etc. etc.

Besides, even if XIII's ending is enough of a handwave to serve as a reboot (and we have a new scenario writer on board, to boot), I don't think they're going to entirely screw over Ash Saga fans like that. Though I largely disliked that saga and most of its characters (barring Adel, Rose, Mukai, Botan, Shion and Oswald), it had its fans, too. It just probably will be another game or so before they pop back up again.

I'd find that fitting actually, due to so many things you'd expect to react to in many other games requiring to commit to reads in KOF due to speed alone. There's a prevalence of preemptively occupying space in the neutral as well as making more decisions in less time during offensive pressure due to having control of your character more often that you would expect, and more choices that may be considered valid even if you try to narrow things down.

this is a good way to put it. The best KoF players are actively doing everything they can to take your options away, and the keyword is actively. It's part of the reason why it's super rough on newcomers because they continuously try to react to pressure from all angles and distances instead of trying to establish neutral and create their own pressure with simple spacing. You can't really sit down in KoF. It's a fast game and it's all about movement and dynamics.

Amedo310

If code mystic is involve, there is a chance for legacy support. They patched in legacy support for LB2 last week.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ClhV7JzVAAAZv21.jpg:orig

Loona

If code mystic is involve, there is a chance for legacy support. They patched in legacy support for LB2 last week.

Code Mystics only seems to handle ports (and in SNK's case, from NeoGeo), while this is an entirely new game, and published by different companies outside Japan.

TreIII

Out of curiosity, which of Kyo's movesets do you prefer: 95 or 96? Not exactly new news that were getting the latter for XIV.

I always preformed better with "Fireball!Kyo", personally, which is why the likes of 95 era-Kyo being re-purposed into Kusanagi for 2002 was a godsend for me.

I'll try my best with XIV's Kyo, though. The new "Body Ga..." enders look interesting.

Loona

Out of curiosity, which of Kyo's movesets do you prefer: 95 or 96? Not exactly new news that were getting the latter for XIV.

I used to prefer the projectile version and rekkas usually aren't my thing, but over time the autoguard and R.E.D. Kick worked their way into my heart.
I figure the XI Kyo is probably my favorite to play as, since it's basically rekka Kyo with a projectile, best of both worlds.

Amedo310

Kyo can have any move he wants. I want the following to play Kyo:

cr. A, cr. B, cr. D block string for anti- short hop checks.

j.b being cross-up with a hitbox the same as or better than the 02umt version.

far. B, far. A

fast cl. C

cr. C to never be it's 2001 version ever again.

kunonabi

I used to prefer the projectile version and rekkas usually aren't my thing, but over time the autoguard and R.E.D. Kick worked their way into my heart.
I figure the XI Kyo is probably my favorite to play as, since it's basically rekka Kyo with a projectile, best of both worlds.

XI Kyo was awesome. I've always been partial to 2k2 Kyo myself. I never cared for 95 Kyo though.

I'm super excited to see Mian. She's the last of the new characters that I'm really interested in seeing.

I think the initial roster leaks listed her as a stance changing character? Yeesh, I hope that means she's not as complex as somebody like Gen from SF.

I forget at the moment, but does KOF have a dedicated stance changing character? Somebody like a Gen from SF or a Kagura from BB?

I'm super excited to see Mian. She's the last of the new characters that I'm really interested in seeing.

I think the initial roster leaks listed her as a stance changing character? Yeesh, I hope that means she's not as complex as somebody like Gen from SF.

I forget at the moment, but does KOF have a dedicated stance changing character? Somebody like a Gen from SF or a Kagura from BB?

May Lee from KOF 2001 but IMO she was pretty weak as a Eolith original.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cloewa4VEAAjZP2.jpg

G-Mantle: THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV:
A New Team Trailer is going to be revealed soon! Stay tuned!!
https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/745942512905428993
Man, I can't wait to try out Luong. Got a feeling I'm gonna love her playstyle.

Btw, has there been a team trailer release this week?

Nope, the trailer should release today. Last week it was around 10 A.M. EST. (about 4 hours from now.) We'll see if it's around that time this week!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Top Bottom