• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

JayEH

Their theme is so good. Somehow got opera working in a fighting game lol. Whole team looks fun to play. Mian is bae.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Probably warrants another new thread that'll die in minutes, lol. Someone else can have the honor this time :)

The character somehow makes me want to play even though I barely understood any of what I saw.

This is a pretty perfect description. Maybe she's the character that uses "Quick Max" mode on the move list? Her Ranbu kinda makes me think of Whip's DM, sound wise.

I like her voice, her personality seems consistent between mask, and the bubbly-water-ish stuff that come off her moves is pretty. I get the feeling she might give me the stance stuff that Chin lost from XII and XIII...

*tosses another character into the "potential main team' pile* It's going to be impossible to main anyone in the first few days, as everyone looks very much worth trying, haha.

BadWolf

I like her voice, her personality seems consistent between mask, and the bubbly-water-ish stuff that come off her moves is pretty. I get the feeling she might give me the stance stuff that Chin lost from XII and XIII...

She kind of looks like she is using wind, water and fire.

Orochi reference character?

Wow, Mian is really neat! But, the trailer didn't tell me everything I wanted to know. She has different masks, but are they actual stance changes? The trailer didn't really do much to show me if they truly were.

Either way, add her to the list of characters I want to play. Heck, add Sylvie too. This trailer made her look really cool as well!

Seconded. Is the mask swapping an aesthetic or does it actually affect gameplay somehow like a stance character?

I'm not sure it's an actual stance change thing. Maybe it's because I'm on my phone but her mask seemed to change for literally every thing she did even during her moves' animation.

I'm not sure it's an actual stance change thing. Maybe it's because I'm on my phone but her mask seemed to change for literally every thing she did even during her moves' animation.

You are right, sir!

Mian's mask seems to change during the course of combos, and this gal has a LOT of masks. Heck, during her EX dance move, her mask changes like three times during the course of ONE move. I don't think the masks have anything to do with stances, but she may have stances to some capacity.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
She kind of looks like she is using wind, water and fire.

Orochi reference character?

Like TreIII, that's what'd I'd hope, but I'm not sure how much of that I'm really seeing. "Water" and "Wind" seem pretty similar in illustration, the energy reminds me of the shapes of leaves illustrated in bubble fluid, lol. The way the fire is used at the end of her DM definitely makes it seem like an element of her ability, and not a focus. She definitely has Aerial, free flowing, and fierce, strong moves all throughout...

... but it's so chaotic for now. I can't really tell what's tied to what and why. What looks like command normals could be Specials, what looks like it flows like a rekka could be a stance cancel into other normals...

Waiting potentially WEEKS to get another peek / explanation of her moveset is going to be hard, haha.

BadWolf

That's what I hope. Of course, her fire is orange-colored, so we're not going to get an easy reference, there.

Good point, though giving her purple flames would probably relate her too much to Iori for most people.

Like TreIII, that's what'd I'd hope, but I'm not sure how much of that I'm really seeing. "Water" and "Wind" seem pretty similar in illustration, the energy reminds me of the shapes of leaves illustrated in bubble fluid, lol. The way the fire is used at the end of her DM definitely makes it seem like an element of her ability, and not a focus. She definitely has Aerial, free flowing, and fierce, strong moves all throughout...

... but it's so chaotic for now. I can't really tell what's tied to what and why. What looks like command normals could be Specials, what looks like it flows like a rekka could be a stance cancel into other normals...

Waiting potentially WEEKS to get another peek / explanation of her moveset is going to be hard, haha.

She totally left me confusled as well, couldn't really pin down what she is all about.

The stuff she was doing with the wind/water motions did remind me of Avatar the last airbender though.

Amedo310

K_The_Supreme on SRK mention that Mian's masks are based on butterflies. I can see the butterfly mask clearly in her climax super, which takes place in all white setting. A reference to Chris and Orochi doing his full screen super, perhaps.

Orochi Team's 02UM song is called Butterfly Emerges From Chrysalis.

A.E Suggs

Looks great, probably best overall new character. I'll probably main her since im only planning to main only 2 new characters so far.

TreIII

K_The_Supreme on SRK mention that Mian's masks are based on butterflies. I can see the butterfly mask clearly in her climax super, which takes place in all white setting. A reference to Chris and Orochi doing his full screen super, perhaps.

Orochi Team's 02UM song is called Butterfly Emerges From Chrysalis.

Which could also double as a reference to Orochi's famous quote: "Sanagi wo Yaburi, Chou wa mau." ("From the Cocoon, the Butterfly flutters away.")

I'd also wonder if the fact that Mian's climax hits 7 times may at all be a reference. Because Gaidel (aka Leona's Pops) was killed off in the backstory, we never did get to meet an official 7th member of the Hakkeshu in-game. Or maybe it's just a showcase of Orochi's power being "incomplete" because it's still sealed at the moment.

Either way, it'll be very interesting if these Orochi-related theories pan out. How would Mature and Vice react, in any case?

Vyse24

Could it be possible that Antonov is the 7th member, and that he brought back King of Fighters this way to revive Orochi once more?

Amedo310

I think Mian is really just a shout out to Team Orochi in a musical sense. All of the Orochi Team member's theme have mentally and out of reailty titles:

Yashiro: Rhythmic Hallucination
Shermie: Fanatic Waltz
Chris: Mad Fantasy

There is this character that switches between many masks. A symbolic representation of many personalities.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see the whole team in a passage of time. I can't fully describe it, but this is how I see them:

Sylvie: The contemporary lifestyle. Modern.

Mian: Traditional. Although Bian Lian is from the time of ancient China, a woman is the one who is using it in this team. From what I found online, the art of face changing was only performed by men for many centuries until recently. Less than a decade ago, a Malaysian Chinese woman named Candy Chong learned the technique from her father and has become well known for it. She bridges the modern to the ancient past.

Kukri: Fully secretive. Ancient as things hidden in a forgotten and unknown time. Things that are buried in the sand so deep that there is no way that those things will come to light.

I'm reaching the stars at this point, but that's just another way I can make sense of the team.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Which team would get a trailer next week?

Here!

First week of August. Tommy W./BehemothBear of Shoryuken made a chart to show when what trailer gets put up
original.jpg

Next week is the Villains team. Can't wait to see what kind of fighter Xanadu is.

Sesha

Wait, we saw Kim Team already? I completely missed that trailer. I've been looking forward to seeing how Korean DSP plays.

Edit: Just saw it. Looks alright. Visually his move set looks like a mix between Kim, Luong and Guile.

BadWolf

Wait, we saw Kim Team already? I completely missed that trailer. I've been looking forward to seeing how Korean DSP plays.

Yup, released two weeks ago.

His moveset is an amalgamation of Kim, Jae Hoon, Dong Hwan etc., which makes sense since he is the master.

BadWolf

They increased the country representation with the new characters nicely, so far we have:

- 3 new South American characters
- 3 new Chinese characters
- 1 new Vietnamese character
- 1 new French character
- 1 new Korean character
- 1 new North African character
- 1 new whatever the heck Xanadu is (Indian maybe?)
- 1 new Russian character (been waiting forever for them to create one for KOF)

When is Mai's team? :(

Team Women Fighters will be the last trailer. Back when the official website had the proper order for all the teams, the Women Fighters Team was shown as being the last one.

That may change. If you ask me, Team Ikari and Team K' should be last, since we've seen them all already.

TreIII

They increased the country representation with the new characters nicely, so far we have:

- 1 new French character
- 1 new Korean character

Yep! Like we've been all agreeing for a while, it's just nice that SNK is finally doing more to give KOF, which is supposed to be a "worldwide tournament" in that universe, the actual diversity to back it up. There's more diversity in this one KOF game than there has been throughout the entire series' worth of games. It's so great.

Bonus points for even providing such diversity in unexpected ways, in the form of the likes of Luong, Banderas, Xanadu and Kukri.

BadWolf

Yep! Like we've been all agreeing for a while, it's just nice that SNK is finally doing more to give KOF, which is supposed to be a "worldwide tournament" in that universe, the actual diversity to back it up. There's more diversity in this one KOF game than there has been throughout the entire series' worth of games. It's so great.

Bonus points for even providing such diversity in unexpected ways, in the form of the likes of Luong, Banderas, Xanadu and Kukri.

For sure, it's also nice how they came up with cool and unique fighting styles and personalities for the new characters instead of just going for the stereotypical or expected. Really well thought out overall.

『Inaba Resident』;208229404 said:

Well that certainty looks very different from XIII.

Here's hoping MMCafe or someone provides us with some summaries of what Oda, Neo_G etc. said in the interview.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

- 1 new French character
- 1 new Korean character

I choose to believe that Nelson is Argentino.
#IBelieve

First screens of online and training mode?

From here:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031749/20160613002/
Unused Garou designs!!!

First screens of online and training mode?

From here:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031749/20160613002/

Only going by Google Translate, but it seems the slight slowdown was intentional for online purposes? Fuck that shit. I hate that this is considered a valid way of doing things.
Possibly they changed the command for Raising Storm to something else too though I can't really tell. That'd be some ass too.

Top Bottom