• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

TreIII

Funny how some of the character concepts in these KoF94 sketches end up resembling some XIV newcomers, namely Hein, Kukri (minus hood) and Mian: http://videogamesdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/146405799190/the-king-of-fighters-94-ザキングオブファイターズ94

Good find!

Would you (or anyone here, for that matter) happen to know how much of the old AOF/FF crew was a part of '94's development? It certainly would make much more sense why XIV really does feel like a revival of a lot of concepts and themes that take over from where 94 and 95 left off. Right down to how we're back to a guy like Antonov standing in for Rugal as the tournament host, and now Chang and Choi are on a proper "Villain/Outlaw Team" that the 94 dev team originally wanted them on.

Damn, these were the new characters for the unreleased Garou 2 for Neogeo:

Common SNK, just finish it up and release it.

Yes, please.

Having said that, though...some of these guys look like they may have been giving new life in the form of some of the XIV newbies. The new lady two spaces away from Kain and the big guy second from the last space on the last row look like they could be Antonov and Toucan Girl in a previous life, to me.

OmegaDL50

Good find!

Would you (or anyone here, for that matter) happen to know how much of the old AOF/FF crew was a part of '94's development? It certainly would make much more sense why XIV really does feel like a revival of a lot of concepts and themes that take over from where 94 and 95 left off. Right down to how we're back to a guy like Antonov standing in for Rugal as the tournament host, and now Chang and Choi are on a proper "Villain/Outlaw Team" that the 94 dev team originally wanted them on.

Director Oda was originally part of the Garou and Real Bout dev staff.

Apparently a lot of the old guard SNK R&D one prior to the initial bankruptcy and Playmore Acquisition are working on KOFXIV.

I guess this explains why XIV is closer to 98 and older SNK stuff in terms of design rather than more recent KOFs like XI and XIII.

TreIII

Director Oda was originally part of the Garou and Real Bout dev staff.

Apparently a lot of the old guard SNK R&D one prior to the initial bankruptcy and Playmore Acquisition are working on KOFXIV.

I guess this explains why XIV is closer to 98 and older SNK stuff in terms of design rather than more recent KOFs like XI and XIII.

Yeah, I know this much, at least, and still very glad that became the case!

But I was always just curious to know about the backstory of 94, and who was there, at the time. Like Fatal Fury Special's surprise Ryo appearance sparked KOF, and how what became KOF94 itself went through a lot of changes that started as a side-scrolling beat em up, before becoming the first entry in the series that we're all here for, now.

The only other source I know of that speaks on these types of things is Shmuplatons' great translation of the '94 Mook, but otherwise, of course, information is pretty scarce.

BadWolf

Having said that, though...some of these guys look like they may have been giving new life in the form of some of the XIV newbies. The new lady two spaces away from Kain and the big guy second from the last space on the last row look like they could be Antonov and Toucan Girl in a previous life, to me.

Agreed, her design is actually close to what I had hoped Zarina's would be (baggy pants ala Pupa from Rage of the Dragons).

The Garou 2 character looks like she may have been related to Joe somehow, a student maybe?

TreIII

Agreed, her design is actually close to what I had hoped Zarina's would be (baggy pants ala Pupa from Rage of the Dragons).

The Garou 2 character looks like she may have been related to Joe somehow, a student maybe?

...Now that you mention it...

A lot of old rumors for Garou 2 said that a "female student of Joe Higashi" (or something to that effect) was going to appear on the roster. This probably was her.

Guess time will tell if Zarina/Toucan Girl really is the revival of that concept or not. We already have Banderas chasing after Mai, so what would be one more South American relation to the Fatal Fury cast?

Momentary

Banned

I would have loved to have seen Rob Python and that dude with the red hair and bad ass gi in action.

Also... KOF NEEDS a Buirki ONE team.

BadWolf

Guess time will tell if Zarina/Toucan Girl really is the revival of that concept or not. We already have Banderas chasing after Mai, so what would be one more South American relation to the Fatal Fury cast?

That would add some nice substance to Joe actually, he is currently the odd one out since Terry has Geese to deal with and Andy like you mentioned has... well...

SHi2Xnk.jpg

TreIII

That would add some nice substance to Joe actually, he is currently the odd one out since Terry has Geese to deal with and Andy like you mentioned has... well...

SHi2Xnk.jpg

Terry also has his "new" (to most of us, anyway) fangirl Alice to deal with, on the same token. If Joe really is supposed to be portrayed as somewhat more serious this time around, he having a student/protege of his own would give him something to show for, as well.

On that note...I'm glad that the Fatal Fury cast, in general, seems to have quite more relevance to the plot, this time around. Shoot, Tung, of all people, is on the designated Hero Team, so that just gives Terry and Geese more agency to be involved in whatever the old Hakkyokuseiken master is up to.

If anything, I'm just a bit worried about Ryo and his crew being a bit left out. Why they didn't just give Ryo his "Mr. Karate" upgrade/status at long last, so that he would at least have that much cred to his name in-verse, is still something that I shake my head about.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
fubarduck translation:

It's an internal design doc for the cast from Garou 2 which began production long ago and never finished. New characters bottom row.

Very bottom right was supposed to be the boss character, Kain R. Hainlain. He wants to finish it one day.
Garou 2!!!!!111!1!!11

『Inaba Resident』;208229404 said:

Just going off translate, pretty easy to follow and lots of info! Seems they went with the in-house engine after looking at Unreal, so they could get up to speed with 3d properly instead of taking the easy way out. And Nakoruru made it in partly to help get the engine ready for more "unique" characters... like characters with weapons ... ! Don't want to get too excited too soon... but man, the future is looking NOW!

I always thought that a Garou 2 would have reintroduced characters from the original Fatal Fury games. Strange that this actually wasn't the plan.

BadWolf

KOFXIV's Japanese exclusives all unveiled.

On that note...I'm glad that the Fatal Fury cast, in general, seems to have quite more relevance to the plot, this time around. Shoot, Tung, of all people, is on the designated Hero Team, so that just gives Terry and Geese more agency to be involved in whatever the old Hakkyokuseiken master is up to.

If anything, I'm just a bit worried about Ryo and his crew being a bit left out. Why they didn't just give Ryo his "Mr. Karate" upgrade/status at long last, so that he would at least have that much cred to his name in-verse, is still something that I shake my head about.

It's great to see them finally give the FF cast some actual significance, they have always just kinda been there in KOF and that was it.

Don't know how involved they are with the story yet but just from the creation/gameplay perspective, they seem to have put a lot of effort into the Ikari team as well.

And yeah, really bummed that they aren't doing much worth mentioning with Ryo. But then again I guess it gives us something to look forward to outside of KOF, it would be cool to see the Karate version in a new FF etc.

Just going off translate, pretty easy to follow and lots of info! Seems they went with the in-house engine after looking at Unreal, so they could get up to speed with 3d properly instead of taking the easy way out. And Nakoruru made it in partly to help get the engine ready for more "unique" characters... like characters with weapons ... ! Don't want to get too excited too soon... but man, the future is looking NOW!

Sounds like a juicy interview, Professor said that he might translate it.

Apparently Neo_G explains why he moved to SNK.

OrochiJR

Do it, SNK!!!! Those characters look pretty awesome, I wonder how far the game was into development before it was canned.

OmegaDL50

I always thought that a Garou 2 would have reintroduced characters from the original Fatal Fury games. Strange that this actually wasn't the plan.

Garou was basically the SFIII equivalent for the Fatal Fury series. In the sense that it was almost entirely an all new cast and next generation of newcomers.

Considering the game have an aging (35+) Terry Bogard who is slightly out of shape and can't properly execute the Rising Tackle anymore. The apparent protege of both Mai and Andy, Gato who shares some moves with Tung Fu Rue (Elevator kicks and palm strikes), The son of Geese raised by Terry sharing fighting style influence of both.

B. Jenet who is basically replacement for Mai in a sense, Marco being AOF / Kyokugen Rep, The Dong Hwan and Jae Hoon being the Kim reps. Tizoc, basically being the new wresting candidate replacing Raiden / Big Bear, Kevin Ryan being a distant relative of Blue Mary, Freeman being basically the new Yamazaki as the new deranged fighter character.

Basically the only one seemingly lacking from Garou would have been the Joe protege, it seems Garou 2 would have addressed this.

Hopefully it still happens.

Crazy thing is, they could probably just release MOW2 unfinished, bug ridden, on AES itself and still make money from it, nevermind some emu'd ports!

OmegaDL50

Which characters on the roster are most similar to Guile or Nash?

The only character in KOF that was similar to Guile was Ash, but he's not in KOF XIV for obvious reasons. I mean he had basically a Sonic Boom esque projectile and a Flash Kick.

Outside of Ash, there wasn't another character with a similar moveset in comparison with Guile.

Loona

Also... KOF NEEDS a Buirki ONE team.

Technically you could make one in KoF XI (Gai, Silber and Ryo - not sure if there was a Yong Song palette for Kim...).

If the 2nd guy frmo the bottom right is supposed to be Rob Python, the sprite looks taller than I imagined.

None of the other characters looks like the grown-up Chonrei I'd have liked to see in a Garou 2, but still, that's one hell of a reveal after so many years...

There are still some characters whose gameplay hasn't been revealed yet, so for all we know Alice could end up having a similar enough skill set...

BadWolf

AT_Ryo_Sakazaki translated some of the things discussed in the 4Gamer interview:

"quick traslate (sorry for the english : P)

- The Unreal engine was one of the candidates for the graphics engine. The idea has been shelved in favor of an engine developed from them.
- One of the styles used at the beginning was less "anime" and more realistic. But the iconic characters with strange hair colors (like Kula and Athena) were creating too strong contrast with the style and they were not pleasant
- According to them Sylvie will be the most popular characters among fans
- Hoping that Kukri and Antonov will be accepted by the fans.
- Xanadu is a very deep character, maybe even too much for some people!
- Arcade mode like other KOF, the teams will have some cutscene before some fights and a final ending after the final boss.
- No plans for DLC characters. "Many are ask for the Orochi Team ... but they died! It would be unfair to come up with a "well ... are alive!". In addition to DLC characters it is too early to talk about it, first need to see how the game will sell. However if the demands were high we can maybe find some compromise"

ONLINE MODE
- Free Match (Team Vs, Vs and Single Party Vs) 12 players can participate and you can see the match
- Rank Match. there will be the possibility to search challengers while playing in single player (at the arcade or training mode)
- In Free Match there will be a chat and the ability to play simultaneously 6 match (Like GGXrd lobby)
- RagingStorm command change

- Future plans for SNK?
- Garou 2? The old project for NeoGeo was already half developed
- "I would like to make a new World Heroes (the rights are on SNKPlaymore)"
- "Or maybe a new Buriki One, with modern pad could be played with both the analog without additional special stick."
- "Or an Art of Fighting! They want to bring back the Neogeo brand"
- "Samurai Shodown also a more serious and brute. "MK-style?" (Ask him) Yes, but more "bitter" and suitable for old men who like costume drama.
- Windjammers would be another possible candidate for a sequel but at the moment they have problems of rights."

I'm going to need the Shunei art by Hiroaki to become a poster. Damn. Do the exclusives themes come with any ditigal copies?

No clue, the digital version isn't up for pre-order on psn yet iirc.

Relique

AT_Ryo_Sakazaki translated some of the things discussed in the 4Gamer interview:

- The Unreal engine was one of the candidates for the graphics engine. The idea has been shelved in favor of an engine developed from them.
- One of the styles used at the beginning was less "anime" and more realistic. But the iconic characters with strange hair colors (like Kula and Athena) were creating too strong contrast with the style and they were not pleasant
- Arcade mode like other KOF, the teams will have some cutscene before some fights and a final ending after the final boss.
- No plans for DLC characters. "Many are ask for the Orochi Team ... but they died! It would be unfair to come up with a "well ... are alive!". In addition to DLC characters it is too early to talk about it, first need to see how the game will sell. However if the demands were high we can maybe find some compromise"

ONLINE MODE
- Free Match (Team Vs, Vs and Single Party Vs) 12 players can participate and you can see the match
- Rank Match. there will be the possibility to search challengers while playing in single player (at the arcade or training mode)
- In Free Match there will be a chat and the ability to play simultaneously 6 match (Like GGXrd lobby)

- Future plans for SNK?
- "Or maybe a new Buriki One, with modern pad could be played with both the analog without additional special stick."
- "Samurai Shodown also a more serious and brute. "MK-style?" (Ask him) Yes, but more "bitter" and suitable for old men who like costume drama.
- Windjammers would be another possible candidate for a sequel but at the moment they have problems of rights."

I'm liking this. They seem very ambitious and that's a great sign. Gonna buy 3 kofs to support these fools. They are making dreams happen right now.

TreIII

Everything sounds good, except for one thing.

- No plans for DLC characters. "Many are ask for the Orochi Team ... but they died! It would be unfair to come up with a "well ... are alive!".

No, you fools! You're overthinking it, especially when you're lining up a Final Boss who can apparently bend reality to his whims, already!
KuGsj.gif

If you just don't want to think about DLC for right now, fine. Maybe it might be better that way, so you can just focus on the main product (and also assuage those who are so burned by other companies' practices). But you got so many characters that people want to see return, that "lol they ded" should be the last reason a fighting game dev cites as a reason why they can't return in a game!

qcf x2

Leona, I guess. Her fireball game is nowhere near the same but she has a charge anti-air move and some strong normals. If you don't care about the motion and just want somebody who can abuse the crap out of two moves all day, Athena and Kensou may fit the bill. I mean, Athena has a song for a reason.

YES. YES. YES. This is what I want to see in the future! Glad they didn't go with UE4 to be honest. This game has palette diversity. Also, I love that SNK actually thinks about whether characters returning makes sense.

SNK keeps whispering these sweet nothings into my ear.

Hmmm. "Too deep" as in he's a mechanically technical character, or "too deep" from a character biography sense? I feel like both could apply with somebody like Xanadu.

qcf x2

It's smart though, right? One way to convince people to try a character is to say they might be too complex. The game is 2 months away! I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the 2nd special edition I have on preorder.

Zetta

ONLINE MODE

- Future plans for SNK?

Is this the first time they are acknowledging there will be an arcade mode? I'm extremely happy to hear its in the game.

Veedot

The only character in KOF that was similar to Guile was Ash, but he's not in KOF XIV for obvious reasons. I mean he had basically a Sonic Boom esque projectile and a Flash Kick.

Outside of Ash, there wasn't another character with a similar moveset in comparison with Guile.

I know it was temporary but Robert had a revamped Guile moveset at one point in NeoGeo Battle Coliseum and the PS2 version of KOF XI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXfgD1w5dec

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If you gotta trade a pretzel motion, making it another one of SNK's most notable commands makes a lot of sense. As much as I like KI's simple commands, I'd love at least one character to have SNK-style motions, because I honestly love doing them, lol.

Raizing Stohm off of CD's and out of combos all day... I'm never a huge GEESE player, but with the reduction in invincibility on moves in this game, and the lack of Kasumi Todoh, might really push me to playing him for his counters... and to show all the Rock worshippers what a REAL "Howard" plays like, heh heh.

Rising_Hei

I'm loving how the game is shaping to be. Everything, even the visuals.

The only problem is that when there are close ups you notice how ugly the game is, and how generic the characters look like with this 3D. But you don't play the game with that camera, so... it really looks like the neogeo games when we're actually playing.

Top Bottom