• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

I'm just now getting around to watching the WNF Exhibition.

That King combo was a thing of beauty. And Muimui looks so good.

It's gonna be so hard to put a team together. Everyone looks fun.

kunonabi

I'm just now getting around to watching the WNF Exhibition.

That King combo was a thing of beauty. And Muimui looks so good.

It's gonna be so hard to put a team together. Everyone looks fun.

I've already got like 5 or so teams worth of characters and we still have a bunch of reveals yet plus who knows who else I'll want to play after getting some training mode time in.

Loona

Hmmm. "Too deep" as in he's a mechanically technical character, or "too deep" from a character biography sense? I feel like both could apply with somebody like Xanadu.

Probably a reference to his unhinged mentality. I wouldn't be too surprised if he ended up having some sort of 4th wall awareness thing going on, considering a lot of his fighting looks more like a kid playing and the animation for his climax super looks like him just enjoying a special moment - both things kinda make sense if he knows he's in a game... I can certainly sympathize of the idea of landing the highest tier move in a character's arsenal feeling like winning the match even if you lose...

If you gotta trade a pretzel motion, making it another one of SNK's most notable commands makes a lot of sense. As much as I like KI's simple commands, I'd love at least one character to have SNK-style motions, because I honestly love doing them, lol.

He already had an alternate motion for the super back in RB2, which i personally preferred.

Excited all over again watching these matches.

I'm just trying to decide if I want to try a pad or a stick now.

Still kicking myself for not getting that Chun-Li TE2 when I had the chance.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GatoRay Posted the exhibition matches from Today. Timestamps mark things in the description.

00:01 - Romance vs BEN
10:10 - NerdJoshvs AS Alfonso
20:05 - Juliet K vs Carlos C.
31:10 - Xiao Hai vs EVB Marshallawkof
45:45 - Romance vs NerdJosh
57:10 - Xiao Hai vs Carlos C.
01:05:15 - XiaoHai vs NerdJosh

BONUS! Here's 6 more hours of Casual Matches from the Atlus Stream:
P1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axngOF5ffog
P2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l0XK13ZLDQ
P3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ku3wE533k

Uploaded by gatoray.

Atlus stream returns at 9:30 AM EDT too.

He already had an alternate motion for the super back in RB2, which i personally preferred.

The good ol' Haoushokoken motion, eh? I probably like it better the way it is now, since that motion makes me think "Art of Fighting" first. And tying it to Power Geyser's updated motion just feels thematically appropriate.

Professor with the 4gamer interview synopsis in English goods! Their last words:

Ogura said:
All of us staff gave it everything we have, so it should be a volume that's quite satisfying. Especially the story mode. If you want to check everything from the opening to the endings, that alone will be plenty of playing time. And this is just the starting chapter of the new saga, so we hope that even fanse of the characters will look forward to the new storyline. We can't say that we'll release a sequel every year, but the storyline will keep going. please look forward.

Obligatory "lengthy story mode" mention! :D

Neo_G said:
We made KOF14 with everything we've got without giving a second thought into the future, but... personally, I couldn't be happier that I can make games in that sort of enviornment. If fighting game fans touch it, there should be some points that are clearly like 'oh, this was by Neo_G', and I'll be delighted if people can enjoy that sort of stuff too. We're planning to bring back SNK with this game, and we hope fans will support us!

Is great that they all seem to have this attitude!

BadWolf

Thanks for the links SAB CA and androgyne.

That was a great interview, I'm loving this dev team. So old school and just so SNK to the core.

Basically all the employees voted to revert the company's name back to SNK.

Put this man in charge of the new Samurai Showdown:

The first company that Neo_G want for after graduating from school was SNK. He failed after applying for planner position because the test told him to draw Nakoruru, and he could only do stick figures. He played Samurai Shodown all the time and wants to make a seriously bloody Samurai Shodown for grown-ups, almost like an MK but with a traditional Japanese samurai drama taste.

Some info regarding online play:

- The online lobby (Free Match) has 3 modes: Team VS, Single VS, Party VS. Up to 12 people can enter and also spectate

- The user can play games while waiting for opponents in Ranked match.

- Ranked Match has about 30 ranks and you can earn titles in the higher ranks. Also at the beginning, you can chose to jump to the higher ranks if you're an experienced player; the game will score you in your first 10 matches and jump you to an appropriate rank. That way you can skip time climbing up the ladder and avoid killing noobs.

- The jump speed is loose on purpose. Previous KOFs were designed for the arcades, but 14 will be mainly played online and the game was specifically designed to accommodate that. Speaking in detail, the game was designed so that with 2-4 frames of lag it'll feel very much like 02 or 13.

Some info regarding old farts:

- But actually the Rush Combo might be more of a system useful for old farts to get back into the series. The system was intended to make the game easier for new players, but then the developers realized that the elders like Oda and Neo_G were more prone to rely on it.

- Oda: "Huh me? No way! But Neo_G's been screaming 'I can't do the combos! I can't do the combos!' "

- Neo_G: "Well, we're the generation that's been playing fighters since the SF2 and FFSpecial days, so we can do space controls, neutral games and whatnot. But as you age your mind can't go as far as thinking about the combos, so in situations like that, the Rush Combo can be really useful"

- Oda: "... Truth is, it's seriously easier for me to just do Rush combos after a jump-in (laughs)"

- Oda: "Also, given that you need to use 3 characters in KOF, there's going to be players that can't get around to learning their second and third character. For them, the Rush combo will be helpful"

Ya'll can thank Oda for KOD:

- Ogura insists that King Of Dinosaurs is not Tizoc. They originally had an empty roster spot for a new wrestler character, then Oda came by one day with a drawing of the Dino-wrestler and it was just too astounding not to use.

Oda said:
Also, given that you need to use 3 characters in KOF, there's going to be players that can't get around to learning their second and third character. For them, the Rush combo will be helpful

I think this pick-up and play for all the characters is going to pay off quite a bit.
Looks like they've always had a clear vision about the game... he basically said a similar thing last December too:

Oda said:
KOF is a game where you use 3 characters, so we hope that players would cover for the weakness of a character by picking another character to cover for that. That sort of thing is one of the strongpoints of a team battle game, but being able to use 3 characters becomes mandatory. So we need to tweak the characters so they're playable on the fly to a certain level. That's one of the differences from balancing characters in a 1-on-1 game.

Totally gets it! This other old quote of his kind of came true with the lobby chat at least:

Oda said:
It'd be fun if they can type in comments like Nico Nico Douga. Eh, not saying we'll do it! (laughs)

BadWolf

Via Professor:

The translation is actually missing a chunk of stuff from the second half. It's coming next as another article because damn it, Neo_G... every thing he says naturally seems to end up being almost like an anti-thesis to the current Capcom, even though he doesn't mean it at all.

He also says some really wacky stuff that's going to make some people scratch their heads. It's quite something.

But overall though, I really like this new development team behind KOF14. Their views on fighting games-- particularly about the e-sports scene which is coming up next, completely follows my thoughts.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Framerate looks fine to me now. Much better than the of slideshow moments of yesterday.

A few random notes:
- AtlusRep on stream says they think the next build will include everyone but the bosses.
- Professor says he's translating MORE of that interview, because Neo_G has a bunch of crazy stuff that he says, that sounds like it's unintentionally the anti-thesis of everything Cpcapom does now-a-days, heh.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
After Stunfest METER AT EVERY MOMENT play, this looks so odd. So much more conservative, and using meter more for CDMs rather that for buffing ones offensive and defensive options.

The game always looks different in every groups hands, lol.

I like the Frankensteiner, and the HEYYYYYY on Clark, but I miss Shining Wizard more! XD

BadWolf

KOF XIV to air on TV next Week (Jp)

For possibly the first time since the golden era of fighting games in the mid-1990s', an SNK game is getting aired on TV broadcast in Japan. KOFXIV will be featured on the July 2 episode of "e-Sports MAX", a show that's centered on various competitive games.

Top KOF Player Dune will be commentating and explaining the fundamental gameplay and strategies behind KOFXIV while showing a few replays.

This is quite a huge milestone for SNK trying to get back into the gaming business. The show will air on the Tokyo MX network and is limited to the east Japan region only for the time being.

After Stunfest METER AT EVERY MOMENT play, this looks so odd. So much more conservative, and using meter more for CDMs rather that for buffing ones offensive and defensive options.

The game always looks different in every groups hands, lol.

This should help with the accessibility, you can still definitely do well (and do great damage) even if you decide to ignore max combos. Actually there is even an advantage to this approach since you will be building a lot more meter with this style of play.

It will be interesting to see how meter usage and management will develop over time. For example, you can use two EX moves in a combo for some extra damage or you can use just one and end it early. This lets you use one EX move post combo for a mix up or whatever.

Alright more noob questions incoming(it's my first kof cut me some slack)

1)how are specials usually done? Has anyone here played 14 yet to elaborate like is it hard to do?

2)is there a down side to playing the casual way with the simple combos online.

Warxard

Banned

1)how are specials usually done? Has anyone here played 14 yet to elaborate like is it hard to do?

1) like any other 2D fighting tf game
2) less damage output

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, just snagged KoFXIII on the Steam sale and what a fantastic game that is! Haven't really played a KoF heavilly since '99 and a bit of 2002. Definitely plan to get XIV when it launches, just wish I had a proper stick.

BadWolf

1. If you can do QCF and QCB moves then you will be able to do over 90% of the specials and supers in the game. There is also a very generous buffer that makes it a lot easier to time combos.

2. The downside is less damage, the up side is you build more power bar with normal combos.

Wow, just snagged KoFXIII on the Steam sale and what a fantastic game that is! Haven't really played a KoF heavilly since '99 and a bit of 2002. Definitely plan to get XIV when it launches, just wish I had a proper stick.

Yup, XIII is fantastic and looks beautiful.

1. If you can do QCF and QCB moves then you will be able to do over 90% of the specials and supers in the game. There is also a very generous buffer that makes it a lot easier to time combos.

2. The downside is less damage, the up side is you built more power bar with normal combos.

Yup, XIII is fantastic and looks beautiful.
Thanks a bunch. Seems I'll be able to get by with simple combos but it would be good to learn a few on the side for more damage output.

Xevren

I also snagged 13 on the steam sale, so excited for 14 so figured to go ahead and play it some again. Such a beautiful game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The TV Spot news is so nice. SNK really back and into the swing of full on game promotion. Oda and crew are working extra hard. It's like they work up and knew exactly what they needed to do with everything
except marketing the inclusion of rollback netcode. heh heh.

This should help with the accessibility, you can still definitely do well (and do great damage) even if you decide to ignore max combos. Actually there is even an advantage to this approach since you will be building a lot more meter with this style of play.

It will be interesting to see how meter usage and management will develop over time. For example, you can use two EX moves in a combo for some extra damage or you can use just one and end it early. This lets you use one EX move post combo for a mix up or whatever.

Oh, I agree overall, but what we saw here... was just... not very KoF XIV, lol. I don't generally like to rag on new play, but we had some people sitting at the demo station for like 3 hours straight on stream. And some of the casuals are really good! It's just surprising how the Exhibition 2 turned out so lack-luster beyond Romance + a dew others. We saw a few pretty awesome things from Evo's exhibits, and Nerdjosh also did a great job at learning some very specific, XIV-friendly stuffs.

I'm paying too much attention to Twitch chat, lol. The instant "Chang is low tier / Nakoruru is BrOkEHn!" stuff just feels like a bad look for a game that generally seems to make everything seem like all it needs is a dedicated player, and you suddenly see character potential.

All these opened, dropped combos and times where 1 single super cancel would change the entire shift of the fight... this game is going to be entirely different once people slip into their roles. I find it so funny that MuiMui is getting such a solid eye shined to her now, lol. "Thick Thighs" + Her Stand C is hella awesome Ralf Tier = The Early Bandwagon came out of the woodwork!

BadWolf

Listened to the dreamcancel podcast with Kane and Romance giving their impressions, lots of good stuff discussed (systems, reception, character changes etc.).

Some tidbits:

- They said they stood in the E3 crowds just to listen to what people were saying about the game and everything they heard was very positive. No one was complaining about the visuals.
- Romance wasn't feeling the game after PSX but after E3 he can't wait for it.
- They are expecting the game to do very well and to be a lot more popular than XIII.
- Said that game is a lot more accessible.
- Romance called Mai XIV's Mr. Karate lol.
- They expect Shun'ei to be used a lot, very strong character with great tools. Super effective with raw activation apparently.
- Didn't seem very impressed with Hein.
- Chin's drinking seems nerfed quite a bit.
- Chin can no longer combo his EX roll from normals and it seems to have lost invincibility. On the plus said it seems to be very hard to block and leads to a lot of damage if it hits.
- Seems it's funny how fast Terry recovers from a blocked Rising Tackle.

They also mentioned that the complaint from the 24 character build, where people said that you couldn't guard cancel roll and guard CD blow back when crouching, has been fixed in the 36 character build.

Oh, I agree overall, but what we saw here... was just... not very KoF XIV, lol. I don't generally like to rag on new play, but we had some people sitting at the demo station for like 3 hours straight on stream. And some of the casuals are really good! It's just surprising how the Exhibition 2 turned out so lack-luster beyond Romance + a dew others. We saw a few pretty awesome things from Evo's exhibits, and Nerdjosh also did a great job at learning some very specific, XIV-friendly stuffs.

I'm paying too much attention to Twitch chat, lol. The instant "Chang is low tier / Nakoruru is BrOkEHn!" stuff just feels like a bad look for a game that generally seems to make everything seem like all it needs is a dedicated player, and you suddenly see character potential.

All these opened, dropped combos and times where 1 single super cancel would change the entire shift of the fight... this game is going to be entirely different once people slip into their roles. I find it so funny that MuiMui is getting such a solid eye shined to her now, lol. "Thick Thighs" + Her Stand C is hella awesome Ralf Tier = The Early Bandwagon came out of the woodwork!

That's very true, the level of play at CEO was pretty low overall. Disappointing but oh well, at least people at the venue seem to be very into it based on what Romance said.

Muimui looking very strong and hype, US players get the credit for showing how strong she is. Like you said though, almost every character seems to have potential when one of the players figures something out. So far the balance is looking very promising, a lot of strong characters.

The Mian fanart is making me really excited about that character, ha ha.

Very nice, Sylvie and Luong also got a bunch of neat fanart after they were revealed.

OmegaDL50

Thanks a bunch. Seems I'll be able to get by with simple combos but it would be good to learn a few on the side for more damage output.

The typical BnB KOF combo is usually the following.

Standing HP into crouching LP or LK, end with special.

Alternatively some characters have special normals that can usually be followed up after a HP or HK, these are usually done by holding the direction input f+ plus a button prompt.

Using KOF98 Terry for example.

Two simple combos I used to do was

1) Standing HP, df+HP, into Power Geyser which was an easy 3 hit 35% life SDM combo.
2) Jump in HK (hold down), c.LP,c.LK cancel into LP Rising Tackle.

Another I used to do with Kyo worked almost every game except for 2001 or 2002.

Standing HK, df.HK, canceled into Shiki Kai (QCF+k,k) to juggle into Orochinagi (QCB,HCF+P)

Timing for KOF combos seems to be somewhat more looser than Street Fighter. While there is a specific timing involved, you won't see things like SF4's 1-frame links for example.

I'm using KOF98 for example as all reports indicate that KOFXIV apparently plays fairly close in comparison outside of the new Meter usage like the Rush Combo and EX Specials.

For sure, it's also nice how they came up with cool and unique fighting styles and personalities for the new characters instead of just going for the stereotypical or expected. Really well thought out overall.

This is something that Capcom should learn, considering that they made most of their Street Fighter characters stereotypical.

Director Oda was originally part of the Garou and Real Bout dev staff.

Apparently a lot of the old guard SNK R&D one prior to the initial bankruptcy and Playmore Acquisition are working on KOFXIV.

I guess this explains why XIV is closer to 98 and older SNK stuff in terms of design rather than more recent KOFs like XI and XIII.

And thank heavens for that.

The typical BnB KOF combo is usually the following.

Standing HP into crouching LP or LK, end with special.

Alternatively some characters have special normals that can usually be followed up after a HP or HK, these are usually done by holding the direction input f+ plus a button prompt.

Using KOF98 Terry for example.

Two simple combos I used to do was

1) Standing HP, df+HP, into Power Geyser which was an easy 3 hit 35% life SDM combo.
2) Jump in HK (hold down), c.LP,c.LK cancel into LP Rising Tackle.

Another I used to do with Kyo worked almost every game except for 2001 or 2002.

Standing HK, df.HK, canceled into Shiki Kai (QCF+k,k) to juggle into Orochinagi (QCB,HCF+P)

Timing for KOF combos seems to be somewhat more looser than Street Fighter. While there is a specific timing involved, you won't see things like SF4's 1-frame links for example.

I'm using KOF98 for example as all reports indicate that KOFXIV apparently plays fairly close in comparison outside of the new Meter usage like the Rush Combo and EX Specials.
Whoa that's a nice breakdown thx man

OmegaDL50

Does Terry's rising tackle work best as a charge more or dp move?

Both are decent depending on circumstances.

For example EX Terry which uses Rising Tackle as a charge motion in KOF98 can chain crouching LP's for a hit confirm.

Also my jump in combo I shown in the previous post that uses Jump in HP into crouching, LP, LK into Rising Tackle. (this combo also works with the DP command, but it's easier to do the charge motion since you are already holding down during the crouch LP, LK chain which makes it simple to just finish with u+LP to immediately go into the Rising Tackle)

The DP Rising Tackle works in any combo that normally finishes with a Power Geyser as a meterless finisher in certain circumstances.

Like Standing HP, f+HP, Power Charge juggle immediately into Rising Tackle

Hadoukie

At this point, I'm just gonna wait for the final build, since all of the chars I wanna see aren't in the current one. Hoping Angel turns out okay, and Love Heart ends up being cool.

Both are decent depending on circumstances.

For example EX Terry which uses Rising Tackle as a charge motion in KOF98 can chain crouching LP's for a hit confirm.

Also my jump in combo I shown in the previous post that uses Jump in HP into crouching, LP, LK into Rising Tackle. (this combo also works with the DP command, but it's easier to do the charge motion since you are already holding down during the crouch LP, LK chain which makes it simple to just finish with u+LP to immediately go into the Rising Tackle)

The DP Rising Tackle works in any combo that normally finishes with a Power Geyser as a meterless finisher in certain circumstances.

Like Standing HP, f+HP, Power Charge juggle immediately into Rising Tackle

That all sounds right. I've been playing KoF98UM on steam for the past week. Non-ex Terry is very satisfying to play in that particular moveset.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cl7MWb3UkAAlffc.jpg:orig

N4Us

They also mentioned that the complaint from the 24 character build, where people said that you couldn't guard cancel roll and guard CD blow back when crouching, has been fixed in the 36 character build.

THANK GOD. That was really bugging me in the 24 build.

Fandangox

Got to play this at CEO, but I got destroyed by the guy playing there, was also using a stick and I usually play fighting games with pads, so I had almost no idea of what I was doing lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Got to play this at CEO, but I got destroyed by the guy playing there, was also using a stick and I usually play fighting games with pads, so I had almost no idea of what I was doing lol

So... did you play Ralf? XD I'm really interested in seeing what the use will be of his new "Ralf Impact" punch move. All I can think of right now is that it's a slower fist for people to run into after cancelling his CD / cr.C footsies.

And then I'd hope it'd be much faster (i.e Comboable into), and cause crumple as an EX.

BadWolf

So... did you play Ralf? XD I'm really interested in seeing what the use will be of his new "Ralf Impact" punch move. All I can think of right now is that it's a slower fist for people to run into after cancelling his CD / cr.C footsies.

And then I'd hope it'd be much faster (i.e Comboable into), and cause crumple as an EX.

It doesn't seem to have guard point on start up as we previously speculated, not the normal version anyway.

I like how they added the sound of a gun firing when Ralf does Galactica Phantom.

Also via Professor:

That said, Kukri is just a wonky character as far as his personality/quotes goes.I don't know how well he'll get translated, but he's at the level of Terry Bogard wonkyness.

Btw King Of Dinosaurs almost accidentally says "Justice Hurricane!" in the EX version of his throw. He manages to correct himself though.

Wonder how long Oda and his team will continue to insist that KOD isn't Tizoc lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cl93bd1UoAAeD37.jpg:orig

It doesn't seem to have guard point on start up as we previously speculated, not the normal version anyway.

I like how they added the sound of a gun firing when Ralf does Galactica Phantom.
Yup, found the lack of GP surprising, unless it just has really, really odd timing. Galatica looking and sounding great, Ralf is always the kind of one-arm insta-punches. Even if Shen and Ryo constantly try to steal his thunder.

Wonder how long Oda and his team will continue to insist that KOD isn't Tizoc lol.

Love how this insistency actually carries into gameplay. That's so silly and fun.

Top Bottom