• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

TreIII

Wonder how long Oda and his team will continue to insist that KOD isn't Tizoc lol.

Terry's win quote against Nelson really sticks out to me (peeped it on one of the casual streams):

"Even if your punches could take down a griffon, they couldn't catch the wolf!"

Sounds like they're going with the old "Face gets humiliated, reemerges as a Heel" trope, when it comes to King Dino.

Fandangox

So... did you play Ralf? XD I'm really interested in seeing what the use will be of his new "Ralf Impact" punch move. All I can think of right now is that it's a slower fist for people to run into after cancelling his CD / cr.C footsies.

And then I'd hope it'd be much faster (i.e Comboable into), and cause crumple as an EX.

Yeah played Ralf, but was still trying to figure out the game lol

Vyse24

CmAKUOzUYAAtgab.jpg:orig
Tung is praying for a Steam release.

BadWolf

The Japanese television showing on July 2nd would be the perfect time to reveal the new 48 character build.

Terry's win quote against Nelson really sticks out to me (peeped it on one of the casual streams):

Sounds like they're going with the old "Face gets humiliated, reemerges as a Heel" trope, when it comes to King Dino.

Nice catch!

I like how a good chunk of the backgrounds have no NPCs at all in the back, they struck a nice balance.

Snakeyes

None. Almost all light fireballs can be treated like a light Sonic Boom in that you can walk behind them even if the motion isn't charge though.

There are still some characters whose gameplay hasn't been revealed yet, so for all we know Alice could end up having a similar enough skill set...

The only character in KOF that was similar to Guile was Ash, but he's not in KOF XIV for obvious reasons. I mean he had basically a Sonic Boom esque projectile and a Flash Kick.

Outside of Ash, there wasn't another character with a similar moveset in comparison with Guile.

Leona, I guess. Her fireball game is nowhere near the same but she has a charge anti-air move and some strong normals. If you don't care about the motion and just want somebody who can abuse the crap out of two moves all day, Athena and Kensou may fit the bill. I mean, Athena has a song for a reason.

Thanks for the tips guys. I knew about Ash but it doesn't seem like he'll appear in this game. Messed around with King and she seems to be centered around controlling space with a strong and versatile projectile, which is more or less what I was looking for.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah played Ralf, but was still trying to figure out the game lol

Yup, understandable. My brother Mains Ralf, so I automatically have this hit list of things I'd have to try, even if it cost me Ralf's life, lol. EX Ralf Kick seems to be an excellent setup for stuff now, at least. I keep looking for the new utility he might get from his much easier to use Gatling attack, too, since he no longer needs to attempt charges to access it.

Tung is praying for a Steam release.

The thing I'd like personally for the steam release, is to use it for cross-play, and to signify a refresh to the game after it's been out some time. Releasing on a whole new console would be a great excuse to add some new characters and things to both versions, y'know?

Since there's mention of them allegedly making DLC characters free, also, it'd make sense to have a chance to build some money off of them in that way.

I like how a good chunk of the backgrounds have no NPCs at all in the back, they struck a nice balance.

Yeah, I always like SOMETHING moving in the BG, but making it people, animals, or just industrial machines all works well to make the places feel appropriately lively for the characters who inhabit the area.

I hope we see some old FFSpecial Final-Final round invasions though. Like Goeintz sitting in the Church stage, or a flock of crows in Yagami team stage during it's grand match.

I'd really like to see animated clouds too, even if they just were simply "rotated" around the skybox. You can see that in something like #FE, but many modern fighters seem to ignore such a simple trick...

Hmm, did they actually make separate body models? Vice looks like she has more butt...

Hard to say. Vice and Mature are actually at unique angles there (you can see more of Mature's shoulders, Vice has hers at a deeper angle), and even with cloned bodies, they could still slightly exaggerate some things on one, and not the other, and make them each feel slightly unique.

Need to stop getting hyped when seeing King of Dinos

Even though everyone is having a hard time with him now, I hope he turns out to be the best of the slower, heavy grapplers this game is going for. Chang should technically have more insane screen control, and Maxima is faster and with much less actual grabs. KoD should be the best at making you feel that standing near him is certain death, I'd say.

Definitely looking forward to seeing some experienced play with him.

Doesn't that make it sound more like he's Tizoc's rival?

Dunno if there'll be many in here who could take advantage of it, but KOF13 is damn cheap on EU PSN atm. £5.09 for regular and £7.99 for gold (dlc bundle) versions!

BadWolf

Since there's mention of them allegedly making DLC characters free, also, it'd make sense to have a chance to build some money off of them in that way.

They haven't decided if they will be doing character DLC yet.

Personally I'm hoping they move on after XIV, 50 characters are more than enough for an installment and Neo_G is clearly itching to start working on the next game (SamSho in particular, sounds like he's already drawing up the plans).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
They haven't decided if they will be doing character DLC yet.

Yes, I know what they've said, but you yourself posted Vulva's tidbits in this very thread. If they're going to do a staggered release, it'd be great if they make it more enticing by spicing things up with a bit extra, and playing such a "Best for the consumer!" deal would be a great way of endearing themselves to gamers.

Personally I'm hoping they move on after XIV, 50 characters are more than enough for an installment and Neo_G is clearly itching to start working on the next game (SamSho in particular, sounds like he's already drawing up the plans).

Yeah, but it's not like it takes a whole dev team to support a released product. If all goes well with this game, I'd rather see it be THE KoF to support for the next several years, rather than taking a page from Aksys and releasing a new disk while the previous one still hasn't left your console.

And if Neo_G and others get to make their dream games, I'd love for the characters to introduce themselves to us in a team "Another World 2" or such.

If there ever was a fighter that gave yearly updates with new characters, stages, story, and interactions... well, it apparently BECAME K.I, since they've DONE it, but I'd love for KoF to do it, too!

BadWolf

Yes, I know what they've said, but you yourself posted Vulva's tidbits in this very thread. If they're going to do a staggered release, it'd be great if they make it more enticing by spicing things up with a bit extra, and playing such a "Best for the consumer!" deal would be a great way of endearing themselves to gamers.

Yup, still undecided though, as vulva mentions. What direction they go after XIV's release is still up the air it seems.

Yeah, but it's not like it takes a whole dev team to support a released product. If all goes well with this game, I'd rather see it be THE KoF to support for the next several years, rather than taking a page from Aksys and releasing a new disk while the previous one still hasn't left your console.

And if Neo_G and others get to make their dream games, I'd love for the characters to introduce themselves to us in a team "Another World 2" or such.

If there ever was a fighter that gave yearly updates with new characters, stages, story, and interactions... well, it apparently BECAME K.I, since they've DONE it, but I'd love for KoF to do it, too!

Well KOF isn't KI or SFV, it usually follows story arcs and each new installment continues the story, refreshes the cast and the mechanics. And in this case visuals as well probably.

The preferable scenario imo is that they start working on another IP after XIV and then work on XV after that. This will give a good amount of time for XIV itself to shine, since no way people are going to figure the game out properly in just a year with the new mechanics and gigantic cast.

The way people go on about DLC makes it feel like SNK made a mistake giving people the complete product from the get-go.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yup, still undecided though, as vulva mentions. What direction they go after XIV's release is still up the air it seems.

Yup, understood, trust me, lol. DLC isn't that significant to me in a "OMG, GIMMIE 'NESSA NOW!" "I NEED MAH WHIP!" way, but I think DLC really helps games stay current and relevant to the general population. You can tell by the way that companies put "free" DLCs onto stores now, that just getting people to understand that you game is available to expansion is a major part of games marketing now.
Well KOF isn't KI or SFV, it usually follows story arcs and each new installment continues the story, refreshes the cast and the mechanics. And in this case visuals as well probably.
Of course, but it's a rich world. Much as how they used to put out special holiday pictures, or have the cast start in a Day of Memories game, There's always something else to have fun with, with these characters.

One of my most enjoyed DLCs in the past years have been the Oboro Muramasa DLCs on Vita. I like some of them better than the full game! Imagine is SNK did things like that with XIV? A World Heroes team could come with 2 stages, and their mini-story mode would be how their fights in their own time eventually led to them being spirited away to the KoF world, by *last boss* guy.

KoF was the original game that made significant changes within "yearly" updates. It'd be nice to see a bit of that return, especially since other games prove it's very successful for them (How many costume passes has DOA 5 had? ha.)
The preferable scenario imo is that they start working on another IP after XIV and then work on XV after that. This will give a good amount of time for XIV itself to shine, since no way people are going to figure the game out properly in just a year with the new mechanics and gigantic cast.

The way people go on about DLC makes it feel like SNK made a mistake giving people the complete product from the get-go.
Eh, depends. Bonuses to XIV don't detract from XV, and XIV can be a test bed for XV, just like Street Fighter IV's last updates were for V. Beyond just being XIV, this game and it's framework can be a direct link between SNK and people who love their fighting game series.

Going on about DLC pre release isn't that big a deal. We don't even know many of the characters who might "fill in" for lost favorites yet, so it's just part of general character speculation.

Once we have the game in hand, we can start talking about gameplay, the story, and all that. And the true weight of how much we actually got with the disk release will be much more palpable then.

For all we know, there could be an Oswald model running around in story mode in a flashback from Iori. Or Chizuru could have a new awesome design in cinematic scenes with the other bearers of the Sacred Treasures. Imagine the kind of desires things like that could spark...

I think they're probably knee deep in Samurai Shodown already (remember the job posting from years back mentioned that, along with KOF). And they're going to want to keep their momentum building, so i reckon it'll get announced a month or so after XIV's release too.

Actually... KOF XIV releases on August 25, 22 years to the day that '94 released!
These guys are bang on the old schedule i reckon, SS was an October/November release for most of it's life.... and XIV was announced 11 months before release...

iuB2eLk.jpg

BadWolf

Yup, understood, trust me, lol. DLC isn't that significant to me in a "OMG, GIMMIE 'NESSA NOW!" "I NEED MAH WHIP!" way, but I think DLC really helps games stay current and relevant to the general population. You can tell by the way that companies put "free" DLCs onto stores now, that just getting people to understand that you game is available to expansion is a major part of games marketing now.

Of course, but it's a rich world. Much as how they used to put out special holiday pictures, or have the cast start in a Day of Memories game, There's always something else to have fun with, with these characters.

One of my most enjoyed DLCs in the past years have been the Oboro Muramasa DLCs on Vita. I like some of them better than the full game! Imagine is SNK did things like that with XIV? A World Heroes team could come with 2 stages, and their mini-story mode would be how their fights in their own time eventually led to them being spirited away to the KoF world, by *last boss* guy.

KoF was the original game that made significant changes within "yearly" updates. It'd be nice to see a bit of that return, especially since other games prove it's very successful for them (How many costume passes has DOA 5 had? ha.)

Eh, depends. Bonuses to XIV don't detract from XV, and XIV can be a test bed for XV, just like Street Fighter IV's last updates were for V. Beyond just being XIV, this game and it's framework can be a direct link between SNK and people who love their fighting game series.

Going on about DLC pre release isn't that big a deal. We don't even know many of the characters who might "fill in" for lost favorites yet, so it's just part of general character speculation.

Once we have the game in hand, we can start talking about gameplay, the story, and all that. And the true weight of how much we actually got with the disk release will be much more palpable then.

For all we know, there could be an Oswald model running around in story mode in a flashback from Iori. Or Chizuru could have a new awesome design in cinematic scenes with the other bearers of the Sacred Treasures. Imagine the kind of desires things like that could spark...

Guess they should have just released the game with 30 characters then and faked post launch support by releasing the other 20 over months/years :p

Like Oda mentioned on the WNF interview, it's two separate business models. One is old school and gives you the entire game from the start and the other is more current and releases a 'lacking' game in the beginning and then adds more to it for months/years to come. I want SNK to use the same old school model for future games.

I think they're probably knee deep in Samurai Shodown already (remember the job posting from years back mentioned that, along with KOF). And they're going to want to keep their momentum building, so i reckon it'll get announced a month or so after XIV's release too.

Actually... KOF XIV releases on August 25, 22 years to the day that '94 released!
These guys are bang on the old schedule i reckon, SS was an October/November release for most of it's life.... and XIV was announced 11 months before release...

Damn, didn't realize they timed the release like that.

And yeah, it should take them way less time to make SamSho or another fighter now that they have the tools and team in place after XIV.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Guess they should have just released the game with 30 characters then and faked post launch support by releasing the other 20 over months/years :p

The SFxT Method!

Like Oda mentioned on the WNF interview, it's two separate business models. One is old school and gives you the entire game from the start and the other is more current and releases a 'lacking' game in the beginning and then adds more to it for months/years to come. I want SNK to use the same old school model for future games.

I only partially believe that, though. "Entire" game. It's a complete product on release, but that doesn't mean more can't be added. If KoF XIV is say, a 5 year lifespan product, DLC support over the next 2 or 5 years doesn't make it any less complete.

Sonic 3 wasn't any less of a full game because Sonic and Knuckles expanded it. I would have loved an expansion to the original Guardian Heroes much more than the GBA game that came out as a semi-sequel. If a core product is just *right*, building on it is a great possibility.

Games like Diablo 3, SMITE, Awesomenauts, Guild Wars 2, SFIV, DOA5, VF5 etc, all carry on for years off a solid base. I love how DLC allows devs to react to things much quicker within a game now. Not just for patches, but also for hitting on current events, tying old products into new announcements, and adding surprises that no one saw coming (Like the Super Dead Rising 3 Super Ultra Whatyamacallit thing from a few E3's back.) A lot of those things would NEVER exist if people JUST used an oldschool release method.

Damn, didn't realize they timed the release like that.

And yeah, it should take them way less time to make SamSho or another fighter now that they have the tools and team in place after XIV.

It is a cool observation.

I don't really know if they have Samsho in the wings just yet. Oda's SRK interview spoke against it being in planning / production yet, if memory serves correctly.

Another fighter announced after releasing a fighter... I'd honestly rather hear them announce something else in the interim first, even if it's a smaller project. I'd love to see them produce some small, original products between larger games. Something in the vein of the PS4 Wild Guns refresh would be great from them.

TreIII

PFFFFFFFFFFT. Love that pic.

I wonder if Neo_G's love of DMC may end up having it such that "suspiciously similar likenesses" of Dante, Vergil and others may show up in SS. It'd be a nice little "shout out" to his old home.

BadWolf said:

Hopefully so. But again, my concern would just be that since SS is a game that, by default, should have a much smaller roster, that they would be able to experiment with better art/graphic styles.

Everything we've read about how XIV's style was a deliberate throwback to '94 makes all the more sense, considering all the talk about how the game looks and animates like a "MVS-era game in 3D" earlier bore fruit. But I would need SS to have a beautiful presentation, because that much IS part of what SS is known for.

BadWolf

I only partially believe that, though. "Entire" game. It's a complete product on release, but that doesn't mean more can't be added. If KoF XIV is say, a 5 year lifespan product, DLC support over the next 2 or 5 years doesn't make it any less complete.

Sonic 3 wasn't any less of a full game because Sonic and Knuckles expanded it. I would have loved an expansion to the original Guardian Heroes much more than the GBA game that came out as a semi-sequel. If a core product is just *right*, building on it is a great possibility.

Games like Diablo 3, SMITE, Awesomenauts, Guild Wars 2, SFIV, DOA5, VF5 etc, all carry on for years off a solid base. I love how DLC allows devs to react to things much quicker within a game now. Not just for patches, but also for hitting on current events, tying old products into new announcements, and adding surprises that no one saw coming (Like the Super Dead Rising 3 Super Ultra Whatyamacallit thing from a few E3's back.) A lot of those things would NEVER exist if people JUST used an oldschool release method.

XIV with a 5 year life span? That would kinda suck lol. It also really doesn't sound like what they are going for based on what they have been saying in interviews. They seem to be in regular installment mode instead of setting up the game as a service for years.

It is a cool observation.

I don't really know if they have Samsho in the wings just yet. Oda's SRK interview spoke against it being in planning / production yet, if memory serves correctly.

Another fighter announced after releasing a fighter... I'd honestly rather hear them announce something else in the interim first, even if it's a smaller project. I'd love to see them produce some small, original products between larger games. Something in the vein of the PS4 Wild Guns refresh would be great from them.

True, that's the impression the last interview gave and it would make perfect sense to wait to first complete one game with their new engine before starting on another. They are also probably waiting to see how XIV sells.

A non fighter would be awesome, like a new Metal Slug or Sengoku 4. One of the devs in the interview did mention wanting to make an action game and/or a new IP.

SamSho is just the second safest IP they have after KOF so it's the obvious choice to work on next, though I sure as heck wouldn't mind a side-scrolling beat em up with SamSho characters.

I wonder if Neo_G's love of DMC may end up having it such that "suspiciously similar likenesses" of Dante, Vergil and others may show up in SS. It'd be a nice little "shout out" to his old home.

Hopefully so. But again, my concern would just be that since SS is a game that, by default, should have a much smaller roster, that they would be able to experiment with better art/graphic styles.

Everything we've read about how XIV's style was a deliberate throwback to '94 makes all the more sense, considering all the talk about how the game looks and animates like a "MVS-era game in 3D" earlier bore fruit. But I would need SS to have a beautiful presentation, because that much IS part of what SS is known for.

A reference to his Capcom works would be pretty sweet. Shun'ei kind of has DMC written all over him already.

And speaking of references, one of Maxima's alt colors in XIV makes him look like Megaman lol.

Agreed on the art style, Neo_G seems to be of a similar mind as well with the more mature/bloody approach to the series. They also said that one of the big reasons they went with their own engine was to be able to accommodate other IPs/styles moving forward.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CmK6bvuXIAAqvMd.jpg:orig

XIV with a 5 year life span? That would kinda suck lol. It also really doesn't sound like what they are going for based on what they have been saying in interviews. They seem to be in regular installment mode instead of setting up the game as a service for years.

Why? How many years have our current top draw fighters had? I thought it was pretty sad when XIII only had one real splash at EVO. I know they're not aiming for E-Sports, but if the game is successful enough to become a tourney standard, why should they drop all it's success and try to throw another game to replace it into the fray so swiftly?

It all really depends on the success of XIV though. If it proves to have crazy depth to it, I'm sure they'll support and grow it for a while. If it's shallow, it's graphics really are THAT bad to the players, or the JP players go back to 2k2UM and 98UM without a second thought, we'll probably see a push to make another game much sooner, like the XII / XIII situation.

A non fighter would be awesome, like a new Metal Slug or Sengoku 4. One of the devs in the interview did mention wanting to make an action game and/or a new IP.
Considering SNKP made new IPs for the Pachi-slot market, I hope they get to do it for a return to consoles as well. Even if they share extablished universes, it'd be nice to see some new characters that can live up to the old traditional ones.

SamSho is just the second safest IP they have after KOF so it's the obvious choice to work on next, though I sure as heck wouldn't mind a side-scrolling beat em up with SamSho characters.

I wonder how involved their decision is with the inner-rumblins of NamcoBandai, actually. If there's a new Soul Calibur in any stage of development, or if the series is abandonded for the next few years, could have a weight on how viable a "new" weapon's based fighter is in the market.

We really don't have one at ALL right now, and it'd be great if SNK could actually fill an un-attended niche, rather than just playing second fiddle to a recent release of a more established series.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zarina-kof14-portrait.png

So close to the gameplay reveal. Finally get to see what the final member of team SA fights like. And our first Darker-Skin-by-Default woman in KoF (with honorable mentions going to kinda Vice and Vanessa's D. Button color palette, lol.)

Quite looking forward to seeing how she turns out... especially since we have a fellow friend-with-bird in the game already. Without Nako there, I'd figure she'd be a way to get that playstyle into KoF, but now...

BadWolf

Why? How many years have our current top draw fighters had? I thought it was pretty sad when XIII only had one real splash at EVO. I know they're not aiming for E-Sports, but if the game is successful enough to become a tourney standard, why should they drop all it's success and try to throw another game to replace it into the fray so swiftly?

It all really depends on the success of XIV though. If it proves to have crazy depth to it, I'm sure they'll support and grow it for a while. If it's shallow, it's graphics really are THAT bad to the players, or the JP players go back to 2k2UM and 98UM without a second thought, we'll probably see a push to make another game much sooner, like the XII / XIII situation.

Fair enough and I wouldn't have an issue with it personally but If SNK is truly back then we will be seeing new KOFs every 2-3 years I think, that would keep the series going nicely. New KOF installments move everything forward from the story to the mechanics, roster and visuals and result in the eventual dream matches (which they will actually be able to legit do well with the move to 3D). This process too is unique to KOF and I see no reason to abandon it.

This path will lead to better success and exposure for the series than trying to make XIV last for 5+ years. XIII is 6 + years old now but it wasn't really by choice, their traditional gaming division was dead until they revived it for XIV.

I wonder how involved their decision is with the inner-rumblins of NamcoBandai, actually. If there's a new Soul Calibur in any stage of development, or if the series is abandonded for the next few years, could have a weight on how viable a "new" weapon's based fighter is in the market.

We really don't have one at ALL right now, and it'd be great if SNK could actually fill an un-attended niche, rather than just playing second fiddle to a recent release of a more established series.

It would certainly help if there was no SC in the mix but SS has always had a very different pace to its combat compared to both other 2D and 3D fighters. And Neo_G's idea of making it more brutal/bloody would be something that would set it apart from SC as well, and would probably make it appeal more to the western audience too

New team trailer today.

Can't wait to see her gameplay, fingers crossed for something unique/funky.

JayEH

Her voice is like a more annoying version of Laura. She got those Mika butt attacks though lol. So she's the team leader? That's interesting for some reason I thought it was Nelson.

BadWolf

Awesome, thank you!

I'm at work and really bored lol.

And nothing of value was lost. *kappa*

But seriously, Zarina looks awesome. Once again, XIV delivers with having it such that every team looks like they have an entire squad I want to try out.

I was waiting for you to say something :p

And indeed, it's a great team. A cyborg boxer, a Brazilian ninja and a Capoeira girl (who unfortunately doesn't have a combat ready military grade toucan).

Top Bottom