• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Veedot

Not as excited for Zarina after that but overall its a cool team. Just not feeling the capoeira mixed with butt attacks

BadWolf

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/king-fighters-xiv-south-america-team-gameplay-trailer#oYj0HAXhMxJEAXxI.99

Bandeiras Hattori – A self-trained ninja who practices the legitimately dangerous art of, uh, Brazilian ninjutsu (not to be confused with Brazilian jiu-jitsu!). Basically, Bandeiras is a 100% certified Brazilian ninja who wants to win the tournament to earn respect and get students for his dojo.

Zarina – The savior of rain forests! She wants to raise money and awareness for the environment, and has zero issues beating up competitors in the name of nature. Zarina will dazzle opponents with her acrobatic Capoeira fighting style and is a strong member of this team. Oh, she’s also bringing along her adorable toucan friend Coco.

Nelson – The boxing prodigy who wants to punch his way to the top in order to raise money for a loved one. He lost one of his arms in an accident, but was lucky enough to receive a mysterious cybernetic replacement that you could say gives him the upper hand during fights. With his fancy footwork and nasty hooks, Nelson will be a difficult opponent for anyone.

So she's a nature lover, guess that explains the Toucan somewhat (and the flowers during her supers).

qcf x2

I like the character at least. It doesn't look as unique as the rest of the cast so it feels like a slight letdown, but she does look like she'd be fun to use. I see some Chun Li, some Shermie in her attacks. Gonna be Ferngully up in this mug.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CmSJAhBVIAAhvi8.jpg:orig

BadWolf

It's funny how in SFIV they gave Juri a NotHangetsuzan and in SFV they just gave her an actual Hangetsuzan.

Her CA is Luong's level one kick super.

I really dig Juri's redesign in SFV, didn't like the original one at all.

Guess we can get ready for a week of her shots.

SNK kind of lucked out since won't she kinda be the only Capo fighter out there for a while? SFV won't have Elena for a while (if at all), Tekken 7 doesn't have Eddie/Christie, GGxrd and MK never had them to begin with. DOA5 doesn't have one either iirc.

I was kind of bummed at first that she was a Capo but she has grown on me after watching the trailer a few times. And if you think about it it's kind of odd that KOF still didn't have a regular Capo fighter with the only attempt being Momoko. Her gameplay has potential too with the moves we've seen, especially if you throw in EX into the mix. She is essentially Bob Wilson's successor, it would be great if she was related to him or Richard in some way.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Her areolas are pretty huge.
( O )o( O )!

It's funny how in SFIV they gave Juri a NotHangetsuzan and in SFV they just gave her an actual Hangetsuzan.

Her CA is Luong's level one kick super.

I really dig Juri's redesign in SFV, didn't like the original one at all.
Yeah, I did that move with her about 4 times until I figured it just looked like a boring variation of a move I knew all too well, lol. I like how SF shy'd away from giving her flowy pants all together, and just gave her leggings.

There's so man "Skin tight so we can avoid fabric effects" clothes in SFV, lol. It feels worse when going through story, looking at all the alts. Though the volume of bonus NPCs they made makes it MUCH more understandable.

Guess we can get ready for a week of her shots.

I'm quite alright with this.

SNK kind of lucked out since won't she kinda be the only Capo fighter out there for a while? SFV won't have Elena for a while (if at all), Tekken 7 doesn't have Eddie/Christie, GGxrd and MK never had them to begin with. DOA5 doesn't have one either iirc.

Fatal Fury was the father of Capo Fighters in Fighters with Richard Meyer anywho, so it's come full circle! ;) La Mariposa has some Capo-style moves, so she kinda counts in DOA.

I was kind of bummed at first that she was a Capo but she has grown on me after watching the trailer a few times. And if you think about it it's kind of odd that KOF still didn't have a regular Capo fighter with the only attempt being Momoko. Her gameplay has potential too with the moves we've seen, especially if you throw in EX into the mix. She is essentially Bob Wilson's successor, it would be great if she was related to him or Richard in some way.

I feel like Momoko is kinda like Malin, in that they were good ideas, but were a bit looser than SNK proper would do at their best. I think Zarina can display the kinda attributes they wanted with Momoko, but in a sense that's more in line with what people outside of Asia would also be able to relate to.

And I don't think we saw an EX move for her at all in the Trailer. I wouldn't be surprised to see her having a few unique systems unlike many in the game. Some of her combos had that explosive-look of a SFIV / V target combo to them.

Momoko finally got oppai!! :O
Wow, if this was what a few years did to Momoko, I think she should have just hid off camera until she hit this stage! ;)
Zarina looks familiar.
She reminds me of some characters in SFxT, but much like the game itself, I've put those thoughts out of my mind, haha.
I honestly liked a lot of the Tekken characters in that game.

Loona

She is essentially Bob Wilson's successor, it would be great if she was related to him or Richard in some way.

The KoF world seems big enough that not every capoeirista has to be connected to Richard in some way - especially considering he's been in the States for who knows how many years, and there must be plenty of veterans masters still in Brazil, for example.

BadWolf

There's so man "Skin tight so we can avoid fabric effects" clothes in SFV, lol. It feels worse when going through story, looking at all the alts. Though the volume of bonus NPCs they made makes it MUCH more understandable.

Cammy looking like she has body paint for a swim suit is one thing but Urien looking like he has a suit painted on? Common Capom, lol. Still glad they gave him the suit though.

Fatal Fury was the father of Capo Fighters in Fighters with Richard Meyer anywho, so it's come full circle! ;) La Mariposa has some Capo-style moves, so she kinda counts in DOA.

Indeed, but it is kind of sad how no one remembers them usually :(

My bad about DOA.

I feel like Momoko is kinda like Malin, in that they were good ideas, but were a bit looser than SNK proper would do at their best. I think Zarina can display the kinda attributes they wanted with Momoko, but in a sense that's more in line with what people outside of Asia would also be able to relate to.

True, and iirc the dev staff was uncomfortable adding a kid like Momoko into the cast to begin with. Can't say I dislike her tbh, her design and animation were cute.

I'm pretty sure these are tan lines.

Hawt.

Thanks!

The oldies are usually more difficult to convince. But I'm sure that even if online play wasn't a factor then they would still have slowed the jump pressure down, it was overkill in XIII. And even with them being toned down in XIV people are still eating jump ins left and right.

It's a new game, people will get with the program eventually.

Oh and that art Xiao Hai won at Stunfest is sick.

The KoF world seems big enough that not every capoeirista has to be connected to Richard in some way - especially considering he's been in the States for who knows how many years, and there must be plenty of veterans masters still in Brazil, for example.

I'd rather she was connected with Bob Wilson, or at least knew of him or mentioned him, but yeah I'd have no issues with her being her own character.

Anbec7

I think... well I would like too lol that this is the best place to ask.
Due to the hype of this KOF, I decided to buy the version 2002UM on steam.
But I suck! I need some tips or general advice on how this game works.
Any guides out there? words of advice? Never give up kinda thing?

Amedo310

thanks that's really helpful.

Now what is the best way? Pad, stick, hitbox? what do you recommend guys?

It's preference, especially since KOF XIV has easier inputs than KOF2002UM.

No pretzels and hopefully, no need for dp into Orochi nagi inputs.

Amedo310

I really hope KOFXIV works with PS3 Sticks. I put a lot of money into buying a Qanba Q4 which was customized further with some translucent Sanwas.

I don't have enough money to buy a dedicated PS4 stick.

I'd rather continue using my blue Qanba Q4 stick.

Nice stick. One can only pray that SNK adds legacy support to the game. I never want people to go through the process of updating sticks the way I did it. Modding six sticks to play everything is not all it's crack up to be, honestly. Especially, when you alone most of the time while playing SNK games. At least, I have something to cool to show and a lot of knowledge modding sticks in general.

OmegaDL50

Nice stick. One can only pray that SNK adds legacy support to the game. I never want people to go through the process of updating sticks the way I did it. Modding six sticks to play everything is not all it's crack up to be, honestly. Especially, when you alone most of the time while playing SNK games. At least, I have something to cool to show and a lot of knowledge modding sticks in general.

The Kim and Terry Bogard sticks is awesome. (Ironically my go to team is Robert, Terry and Kim)

I used to own a custom stick myself

I had it custom made when I used to frequent the SRK forums as as well as TYM, but sent it to modder on the TYM forums to get it dual modded but I know longer own it due to some unfortunate circumstances.

TreIII

I'd rather she was connected with Bob Wilson, or at least knew of him or mentioned him, but yeah I'd have no issues with her being her own character.

Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with Zarina being her own woman, but I would agree with this standpoint. I guess a part of what always appealed to me about SNK's worlds was the "small world" aspect of it. And that usually rolls over into fighting styles, too.

Plus, it's not like Zarina being a possible tie to Bob or Richard would be unprecedented, by this point. Thanks to Gang-il's official introduction, we can now truly link EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the SNK meta-verse who uses some variant of TKD, to this one man that Kim calls Master (or Kim, himself, if they're an ancestor/descendant). Yes, it's a bit contrived, and pretty much suggests that there's NOBODY ELSE teaching this fighting style in these settings. But for the sake of SNK's worlds, it somehow works!

I really hope KOFXIV works with PS3 Sticks. I put a lot of money into buying a Qanba Q4 which was customized further with some translucent Sanwas.

I don't have enough money to buy a dedicated PS4 stick.

I'd rather continue using my blue Qanba Q4 stick.

Consider a Brook Universal Fighting Board, that'd be more reasonble than buying a new stick altogether.

It's preference, especially since KOF XIV has easier inputs than KOF2002UM.

No pretzels and hopefully, no need for dp into Orochi nagi inputs.

That's just hcb f + P hcf + P though, even 02 had that to make it easier.

"just"

People always complain about halfcircles, and things like short/long cuts and combining motions isn't intuitive. With practice it's cake, so I see what you're saying.

I just do hcb, f + p, qcf + p

Yeah but I mean that thing is both old and supposed to help you. It's thinking of it as trying to do the actual motions for each move fast enough that makes it seem crazy hard.

That part is more about knowledge than practice imo.

Amedo310

Yeah but I mean that thing is both old and supposed to help you. It's thinking of it as trying to do the actual motions for each move fast enough that makes it seem crazy hard.

That part is more about knowledge than practice imo.

I do the short cuts all the time, but SNK makes no note of there being shortcuts in game.

Like Kim's Haki stomp into super was never mention in the command list until 2000's command list and never shown again.

Hell, Ramon has a secret input in 02um where he full screen short hop back across the stage after doing flying cross X super.

02UM Lin's second rekka can be performed with hcf+P, instead of the listed hcb+P, which is not mentioned in the command list at all.

BadWolf

Watching some of those matches and the music for Sylvie's stage is just too damn good.

...and it looks like Maxima has lost the invincibility on his EX vapor cannon super.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
don't like those weird position slits on Mature and Vice's arms
why
It's a style... I'm glad they went for this type of Shoulder slit, rather than This kind. To me, that seems more like... it's trying to show your armpits or something?

I think it looks like a casual fashion... that they just happen to be wearing into combat. Which fits our pair of deadly secretaries. They dress in pretty chill, nice looking ways, but they're crazy violent and vicious.

CmfOzRVUEAAAMuK.jpg:orig

I was really hyped for Joe until I saw the mash punch didn't have the overhead ender. Might still play him though, he looks cool.
I keep expecting him to lose Bakuretsuken enders, and just have normal mach punches... so I'm always a bit happy when he still has variations. Noone's gotten comfortable with his new double command normals, which kind of surprises me? It was one of the things I thought looked most new and special in his trailer, so it'd be the first thing I try to understand if I played him at an event.

Oh, and I think our manservice of muscular dudes of different builds (that wear the same Japan headbands) looks pretty good here.

Everyone need to see those. :3

Ogura's Mr. Karate is always so cool, lol. I love him way more than Akuma. As much as people want him in SFV, he feels pretty stagnant to me now.

Guess Yuri will have to do for now, ha ha.I am more than OK with this.

BadWolf

Noone's gotten comfortable with his new double command normals, which kind of surprises me? It was one of the things I thought looked most new and special in his trailer, so it'd be the first thing I try to understand if I played him at an event.

That's probably because those kicks seem to miss on crouchers, even when chained into, which is a pretty big bummer. Some tried them in matches and didn't bother again after seeing them whiff.

On the plus side they seem to cover a pretty good angle as an anti-air, an angle that Joe was weak at in XIII. His XIV far D is also what I had hopped it would be in XIII.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That's probably because those kicks seem to miss on crouchers, even when chained into, which is a pretty big bummer. Some tried them in matches and didn't bother again after seeing them whiff.

On the plus side they seem to cover a pretty good angle as an anti-air, an angle that Joe was weak at in XIII. His XIV far D is also what I had hopped it would be in XIII.

Should help him in Wall bounce situations then, which seem to force a standing state, at least. If the start-up is good enough to be a true predictive AA, than yup, quite a nice thing for him. Can join Golden Heel and Tiger kick as very situational, yet strong, AA.

I find it interesting they'd give him 2 command normals that hit in the same basic areas. Surprised not to see an ankle-aimed kick or such. At least he still has the slide, which I haven't taken note to the cancellability of yet, actually. (Loved using Hwa's slide in XIII.)

Oh, and I'm surprised we didn't see a pic of Zarina for our SSOTD.

BadWolf

SNK has updated their main site:
https://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/
https://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/

They seem to still be hiring, the staff page is pretty neat. You can see their work environments (Ogura working on new Metal Slug art?) and they even listed their daily schedules. Too bad the text is a 'pic' so we can't copy and paste into google translate.

You can see the translator from E3/WNF in one of the pics as well, guess he's one of the staff? There seem to be a few foreign staff, including the senior programmer for XIV.

Also:

About our new corporate logo and slogan:
This change marks a return to SNK’s rich gaming history. Through the huge success of many of its game franchises in the past, SNK is still a brand supported by countless fans from around the world to this day. The new logo and slogan chosen for this turning point, signifies both a return to the origins of SNK, and revival of our pioneer spirit to always offer long-time fans of SNK, as well as newcomers, entertainment of an even higher quality moving forward.

Via this change, we will keep creating games and expand on our cherished IPs in the future. Thank you for your support, and please look forward to the future of SNK.

Oh, and I'm surprised we didn't see a pic of Zarina for our SSOTD.

I am disappoint :(

Looking forward to seeing what her neutral stance looks like, here's hoping it isn't the typical stance lifted from the combat style ala Elena, Eddy and Christie.

At one point in the trailer it felt like you could see a hint of Zarina's and it looked dance-like in nature, but can't be sure.

Have more beefy dudes!

Heh in a way we basically now have the older/master versions of Jae Hoon and Dong Hwan in KOFXIV.

... and they even listed their daily schedules. Too bad the text is a 'pic' so we can't copy and paste into google translate.

You can get the Google Translate app and take a photo of the page... it'll scan for text and then translate it... really handy! Thanks for linking the new site, great to see more of SNK reborn.

OmegaDL50

The way this looks almost reminds me of a Tekken 6 / TTT2 style ground bounce.

I wonder if this move actually pops the opponent off the ground to follow up with a juggle. That would a first for KOF I think.

This week is Ramon Week! Though secretly, it's King of Dinosaurs week. I hope the Team Mexico trailer shows us some KoD tech that nobody has seen yet; he's the one character everyone is down on the most.

BadWolf

You can get the Google Translate app and take a photo of the page... it'll scan for text and then translate it... really handy!

Dang, that's pretty cool.

The way this looks almost reminds me of a Tekken 6 / TTT2 style ground bounce.

I wonder if this move actually pops the opponent off the ground to follow up with a juggle. That would a first for KOF I think.

Yeah, ground bounce is a new mechanic along with the wall bounce.

Terry, Kim and many others have the ground/wall bounce properties attached to their moves.

This week is Ramon Week! Though secretly, it's King of Dinosaurs week. I hope the Team Mexico trailer shows us some KoD tech that nobody has seen yet; he's the one character everyone is down on the most.

Everyone knows Angel is the main event :p

Ramon was one of my fave characters to use in 02 and I've always liked him in general so I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with him. Been waiting forever for Angel to appear in another mainline entry so she's on my day 1 team for sure (too bad she missed XII/XIII so we never got to see a glorious new 2D sprite for her).

Agreed on KOD, they should show some cool stuff. He, like Chang, will take some adjustment but I think it's way too early to call them weak or low tier yet.

Top Bottom