• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SNK posted some pics from the art book that comes with the game, along with some size stats: 120 pages, W134×H170mm. Pretty small size, but looks have some good stuff!

vv61nMc.jpg

zceqNEW.jpg

CO8byIW.jpg

Interestingly, the US art book was reported to have 144 pages, 24 pages more. Could be an earlier estimate at the page count or it might be different, guess we'll have to wait and see!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CmmOYyiWYAA_vSF.jpg:orig

Hmmm, so the completed art for the US soundtrack cover is by Falcoon, and is also being used as the theme for the South Korea / Hong Kong territories. How'd I miss that it was Falcoons? LoL. Nice to see he's not still in supposed mental breakdown reclusive run-away mode. Wonder if the Soundtrack art will be updated, or if it'll stay sketchy?

Blasphemy!
It might well be, lol. Especially having not see Love Heart or Alice in action yet... it's nice having a mix of females that are a bit more mature, or a bit more youthful, and some nice mixes in between.

SNK posted some pics from the art book that comes with the game, along with some size stats: 120 pages, W134×H170mm. Pretty small size, but looks have some good stuff!

Ooo, we get to see all of Mian's mask, her alt colors, and probably our first pic of her wearing glasses. Would be cool if we see her like that at some point in game. Guess the US edition will have all this translated, and maybe some additional English-only materials that are either exclusive, or from other sources? Like maybe they'll translate some Dengeki interviews or something, too...

Artbook Kyo looks great, like an older version of the Kyo we all know and love. Shame they didn't manage to make the game version as good.

Menitta

Sorry, I was speaking for the Japanese release where the art book is included standard (at least initially)

It's included in the standard? Wow. Didn't know that. They're lucky I guess. Still gonna grab the CE. It looks like a normal sized artbook instead of a dinky small one.

Didn't mean anything negative btw.

It's included in the standard? Wow. Didn't know that. They're lucky I guess. Still gonna grab the CE. It looks like a normal sized artbook instead of a dinky small one.

Didn't mean anything negative btw.

Nw, yeah i think there's only one package for Japan so far. Just with the various PS4 themes for pre-ordering at different stores. No soundtrack anywhere so i'm wondering if it'll get released separately.

Vyse24

KOF14 site updates on Exclusive bonuses

"Costumes and Themes may possibly get sold as DLC content in the future".
Costumes feel like a no-brainer. I could see other characters getting their classic looks like Robert, Benimaru, and the entire Ikari Team. Others will probably get a new wardrobe altogether.

And when they say themes, do they mean music themes, or themes like what you put on the PS4 menu? I would hope the former as it would be a good addition to bring back some of the themes of past KoF games.

Amedo310

Costumes feel like a no-brainer. I could see other characters getting their classic looks like Robert, Benimaru, and the entire Ikari Team. Others will probably get a new wardrobe altogether.

And when they say themes, do they mean music themes, or themes like what you put on the PS4 menu? I would hope the former as it would be a good addition to bring back some of the themes of past KoF games.

Most likely the ps4 themes. All of them are Japanese exclusives. I'm ready to buy a theme for each of my ps4s.

BadWolf

Via SRK: Commercial for the KOFXIV TV program showing

That's Dune presenting the game. Also, apparently he and Professor from MMCafe were the ones who English subbed the first KOF Station episode for us.

Very interesting to see SNK involve the community like that. For those who may not know, Dune is pretty OG and has been organizing one of the biggest, if not the biggest, KOF tournaments in Japan for years now (KOF Duelling).

TreIII

More artbook samples:

King Dino~! *swoon*

Two more days until I see him, Ramon and Angel doing sexy things on Thursday. I can hardly contain myself!

Very interesting to see SNK involve the community like that. For those who may not know, Dune is pretty OG and has been organizing one of the biggest, if not the biggest, KOF tournament in Japan for years now (KOF Duelling).

I love it. But in all seriousness? I call it SNK finally have the money, time and awareness to step into the 21st and do the kinds of things that a fighting game dev should be doing in this day and age. Especially when you're a) rebuilding a brand from scratch and b) know that your fans are your most valuable resource (and usually willing to work for cheap or even free, in some cases!).

It's just making the Playmore days seem all the more amateurish in comparison.

Didn't think Mian could get any more adorable and then that sketch with her wearing glasses appeared...

CmmOYyiWYAA_vSF.jpg:orig

Hmmm, so the completed art for the US soundtrack cover is by Falcoon, and is also being used as the theme for the South Korea / Hong Kong territories. How'd I miss that it was Falcoons? LoL. Nice to see he's not still in supposed mental breakdown reclusive run-away mode. Wonder if the Soundtrack art will be updated, or if it'll stay sketchy?

You know, first seeing this in the early shots of the CE, I thought, "Yeah okay, looks like Falcoon drawing Mai, big surprise there...". I've never been a really big fan of Falcoon.

But then looking at it now, it looks really impressive. The color, shading, and detail are all superb.

A little off topic, but I've never played a KoF game before. Are there any games on the PS4 I should pick up or avoid?

Sadly, your options are really limited. The only KoF game available IIRC is the PS2 port of KoF 2000 (which is still good, but hardly SNK's best. You can pick up Last Blade 2 though. It's not KoF but it's one of SNK's BEST (not to mention for a fighter, it's great PERIOD) and it might be just similar to KoF enough that you can start getting a vague feeling of what KoF is like. I'm hardly an expert or anything but Last Blade always felt closer to KoF than Samurai Shodown does.

Archtreyz

Sadly, your options are really limited. The only KoF game available IIRC is the PS2 port of KoF 2000 (which is still good, but hardly SNK's best. You can pick up Last Blade 2 though. It's not KoF but it's one of SNK's BEST (not to mention for a fighter, it's great PERIOD) and it might be just similar to KoF enough that you can start getting a vague feeling of what KoF is like. I'm hardly an expert or anything but Last Blade always felt closer to KoF than Samurai Shodown does.
That game looked interesting, didn't realize it was SNK! Always looking for a good fighter so I'll definitely check it out, thanks!

KOF14 site updates on Exclusive bonuses

"Costumes and Themes may possibly get sold as DLC content in the future".

More artbook samples:

Looking at that artwork again, the artwork for KoD and Luong (as well as those sketches of Athena) looks like Ogura, but am I crazy or does that fully colored Athena artwork look like Senri Kita? Of course it could be Tonko too their styles can resemble each other sometimes and she's actually done stuff for SNK recently (promo artwork for LB2 on PS4).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Looking at that artwork again, the artwork for KoD and Luong (as well as those sketches of Athena) looks like Ogura, but am I crazy or does that fully colored Athena artwork look like Senri Kita? Of course it could be Tonko too their styles can resemble each other sometimes and she's actually done stuff for SNK recently (promo artwork for LB2 on PS4).

Around the time of the initial big picture leak, I remember JohnGrimm on SRK mentioning that there were 2 artist they had working on the designs (and that random Alice Render from before), 1 being new, and one being an SNK classic. I always took new as "new to the industry", but it'd be interesting if it was something like Senri Kita.

I think the Athena and Sylvie look a bit looser than Senri's style of coloring and linework, but whose to say that couldn't be within their realm of ability? Actually, have we seen any JP pre-order work that mimics the style of these concept arts? That'd probably be the best pool to look through for possibly involved artist.

Cmpl1puUcAAefqy.jpg:orig

Zarina pls calm down

She's just watched too much K-Drama, the piggyback after a soul-baring visit to a bar is pretty much requisite. Bandeiras can just take it as part of his training!

Y'know, I've really started to like the material textures in this game. One thing I disliked on actual PS2 and 3 games was often the fact that such fine, grainy-style materials would eventually have portions near the joints or under arms that would be stretched, and ruin the illusion of fabrics along with it. These seem to stay consistent all over, and they have some nice bump or surface maps to make them look that much more believable.

I also like how much of the model actually looks like MODEL work, rather than textures / skintight decals. Something like Bandeiras "shirt" could easily have just been a texture laid over his upper body model, but they do a good job making sure we can see where it's actually layered over his skin, rather than just being a part of it. Or how Zarina's heels are clearly shoes that she's wearing, rather than, once again, using texture work on her leg to fake the geometric detail.

Nice KOF badge carved into the cliffside there, Daytona/Sonic style!

That kind of stuff is so stupidly oldschool, gotta love it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Cmr_ZK4UkAEuAhI.jpg

The 2 Mexico baes on one pic

Next reveal will probably be Team Mexico

Skilletor

SO sad we haven't had much footage of angel. :(

Falcoon has gotten a lot better if that Mai is any indication.

Sucks, though...awesome bonuses, but I promised myself I'd buy all my fighters digitally this generation. Decisions, decisions.

BadWolf

I love it. But in all seriousness? I call it SNK finally have the money, time and awareness to step into the 21st and do the kinds of things that a fighting game dev should be doing in this day and age. Especially when you're a) rebuilding a brand from scratch and b) know that your fans are your most valuable resource (and usually willing to work for cheap or even free, in some cases!).

It's just making the Playmore days seem all the more amateurish in comparison.

It's a great change in philosophy in general, not just with Playmore.

Don't know if it was Oda or someone else who brought it about but even the old SNK didn't involve themselves like this.

Wonder if ya'll can name the two reasons Kula might be angry in that pic.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cmr_ZK4UkAEuAhI.jpg

Or did I let you, because it's Angel? ٩(ര̀ᴗര́)

It'll be great to final Hear see Angel in all her glory. She's been teased for so long, and I really wanna see how well she carries over into the new systems.

Ramon's TIGER ROARRRR just needs to be nice and strong, and I'll be OK with him.

The next build should be quite exciting to see. There's still so many elements of gameplay we haven't seen for these characters, and things like "Use Max Mode" or Use Quick Max from the movelist haven't been seen on any of the available move list yet (correct me if I'm wrong!)

I'm totally read for "Match of the Day" to join the screenshots, haha. I'm sure there's some fancy stuff their testers could tease us endlessly with. It'd also help the discussion on SRK stay on focus more often!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sucks, though...awesome bonuses, but I promised myself I'd buy all my fighters digitally this generation. Decisions, decisions.

Well, promising you'll buy digitally doesn't mean you CAN'T buy a physical version, too...
(^_^)

And honestly, digital fighters have a good chance at showing up in PS+ or in Flash Sales, so a 2nd digital copy is normally pretty easy to come by within a fairly short order.

XBLA got me really accustomed to having so many fighters digitally. As well as PS titles like Dark Awake, CHAOS CODE, and Arcana Heart 3. It's like having an old Neo Geo Arcade machine, with multiple fighters on tap!

Skilletor

Well, promising you'll buy digitally doesn't mean you CAN'T buy a physical version, too...
(^_^)

And honestly, digital fighters have a good chance at showing up in PS+ or in Flash Sales, so a 2nd digital copy is normally pretty easy to come by within a fairly short order.

XBLA got me really accustomed to having so many fighters digitally. As well as PS titles like Dark Awake, CHAOS CODE, and Arcana Heart 3. It's like having an old Neo Geo Arcade machine, with multiple fighters on tap!

It's more that I've got a cab setup in my house, and another on a monitor, so I can have two setups of KoF going with only buying one copy. :)

Purely convenience, as I'm all physical otherwise.

BadWolf

There's still so many elements of gameplay we haven't seen for these characters, and things like "Use Max Mode" or Use Quick Max from the movelist haven't been seen on any of the available move list yet (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Maybe they will finally officially acknowledge activation bypass? It would make max mode combos easier for a lot of people if they knew about it.

I'm guessing those two max mode mentions might be for combo trials.

EDIT: On second thought they might just be differentiating between raw activation and mid combo activation.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Via SRK: Commercial for the KOFXIV TV program showing

That's Dune presenting the game. Also, apparently he and Professor from MMCafe were the ones who English subbed the first KOF Station episode for us.

Very interesting to see SNK involve the community like that. For those who may not know, Dune is pretty OG and has been organizing one of the biggest, if not the biggest, KOF tournaments in Japan for years now (KOF Duelling).
This is pretty amazing coming from a Company that wasnt know for their community outreach.

Also im feelin' myself quite a bit for beating SAB CA on posting the screenshot :3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's more that I've got a cab setup in my house, and another on a monitor, so I can have two setups of KoF going with only buying one copy. :)

Purely convenience, as I'm all physical otherwise.

Good times then! PSN being pretty laggy with putting up the pre-order, plus the Best Buy BURN TO FIGHT edition price error really made my choice easy in this case.

Maybe they will finally officially acknowledge activation bypass? It would make max mode combos easier for a lot of people if they knew about it.

I'm guessing those two max mode mentions might be for combo trials.

EDIT: On second thought they might just be differentiating between raw activation and mid combo activation.

I could see HD bypass / quick max becoming features only usable by certain characters. Since Angel's Unchained Circle stuff is pretty similar to Nelson (and maybe even Zarina), the need to give them unique variations of the command-normal-heavy gameplay styles could have given rise to unique systems for them.

We also haven't seen any DM's activated by predominately button presses yet. It'd be cool if there were certain grapples that could activate MAX upon use, too, for chain-throwin'.

It really looked like we were getting simpler move list early on, but new people like Nelson, and the skills from Team Mexico historically, demand some pretty in-depth stuff. And they're not as EX friendly either.

This is pretty amazing coming from a Company that wasnt know for their community outreach.

Also im feelin' myself quite a bit for beating SAB CA on posting the screenshot :3

It's gotta be hell on Oda and Co, lol. I'm impressed with how much they've done, and how consistent they're trying to be.

And I'm glad I've been consistent enough on SSOTD posting, lol. Always glad when you and Holy Order Sol pick up the slack, though!

OmegaDL50

She looks like a quite formidable fighter.

Apparently she's a big fan of Terry Bogard.

It would be in SNK style to have Alice have like a pseudo-Terry moveset, kind of like how Sakura imitated Ryu's moveset in SF.

It would continue the long trend of SF references in a SNK game and vice versa that started with AOF and Dan, maybe that would be incentive for Capcom to throw in a SNK reference in a SFV update or something.

The chances of that happening are probably wishful thinking though.

BadWolf

It would continue the long trend of SF references in a SNK game and vice versa that started with AOF and Dan, maybe that would be incentive for Capcom to throw in a SNK reference in a SFV update or something.

Not in this case:

Her origin is unknown though she most likely took inspiration from Alice Chrysler, a character who was devised to be one of Kim's students with an admiration for Terry. When planning out the new roster, Alice was going to replace Mai in Fatal Fury 3 though this idea was retracted during the early stages of development. Chrysler can be seen in certain backgrounds and is mentioned in Chae Lim's second backstory.

Fatal Fury 3 predates Sakura.

Though it is interesting how they branched her off into two characters, one being a Kim fan (May Lee) and the other a Terry fan (Alice). Kind of hoping that gameplay wise she is more of her own character ala May Lee. Rock already sorta has the psuedo-Terry move set thing covered.

Apparently she's a big fan of Terry Bogard.

It would be in SNK style to have Alice have like a pseudo-Terry moveset.

Hey it'd be nice too.

Slide/Fire Kick
Rising Tackle as DP input with Crack Shot follow-up causing hard kd
Round Wave
Quick Burning

Overheat Geyser
Power Geyser except you can hold to delay because lol

ayy lmao Climax that also trolls you with Power Dunk in there somewhere

j.CD is the ass one from XIII and st.CD is Power Charge again

lit tbh

Top Bottom