• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

OmegaDL50

Fatal Fury 3 predates Sakura.

Though it is interesting how they branched her off into two characters, one being a Kim fan (May Lee) and the other a Terry fan (Alice). Kind of hoping that gameplay wise she is more of her own character ala May Lee. Rock already sorta has the psuedo-Terry move set thing covered.

It doesn't predate the AOF thing with Ryo / Robert and Dan however. I was using Sakura in allusion to the fact she mimics Ryu's movelist. SNK could roll with this concept and do a similar thing with Terry, SNK's most iconic male character is arguably Terry and Ryu is the same thing for Capcom's fighting game franchises.

Also I believe the Kim student Alice that already exists, evidences suggests that she's a completely separate character from what May Lee became. While she never was an actual playable character, she has made several cameo appearances in a few SNK games, which heavily implies she's a totally different Alice then the Alice that exists in KOF XIV.

rbs.gif

bk1ayP3.jpg

She can also be seen in the KOF2002 Korea background, while it was a Dream Match game, May Lee is present in that game, which would further distinguish that Alice Chrysler and Kim Student Alice are two separate characters. She also makes an appearance in one of Kim's endings in one of the Fatal Fury games, I forget which one however.

The information on that wiki needs to be updated honestly.

OmegaDL50

It does though, Fatal Fury 3 was released before Street Fighter Alpha (Dan's debut game).

The Ryo and Robert allusion however still exists. Which kind parallels Ryu and Ken. Of course this probably as a result of the Akira Nishitani influence.

I mean Ryo takes his training more serious like Ryu does, and Robert comes from wealthy family like Ken. Also both characters are not quite clones but share a similar move list. Robert favoring Kicks, like Ken does for example.

This allusion between Capcom and SNK has been present for a long time, but being SNK fans here, we all know this by now.

Without pointlessly getting into semantics, I'm sure you guys know the premise of the Ryu and Sakura, and Terry and Alice thing I've been trying to make a point of.

BadWolf

The Ryo and Robert allusion however still exists. Which kind parallels Ryu and Ken. Of course this problem as a result of the Akira Nishitani influence.

I mean Ryo takes his training more serious like Ryu does, and Robert comes from wealthy family like Ken. Also both characters are not quite clones but share a similar movelist.

This allusion between Capcom and SNK has been present for a long time, but being SNK fans here, we all know this by now.

Without pointlessly getting into semantics, I'm sure you guys know the premise of the Ryu and Sakura, and Terry and Alice thing trying to make a point of.

Yeah, Ryo and Robert are homages as per the dev's own words. Much like Juri is a NotKim (even more so in SFV).

Terry/Alice/Kim isn't quite the same thing since they are working an idea from way, way back. Just like they brought back the idea of having 3 prisoners from KOF94.

OmegaDL50

Dat Kim Sue II cameo excites me far more in that shot

Seriously...this guy has been a team favorite that keeps getting tabled and tossed for like every KOF game. He needs to show up as playable already. TaeKwonDo staff user who always plays second fiddle to a Billy Kane inclusion.

That would be nice, although I guess he would make a good stand-in for Team Korea in a future game, the KOF2000 Striker was nice. Just seeing him in the KOF sprite style is a tease.

Maybe even a Neo-Geo Coliseum 2 which had some Kizuna Encounter characters, Kim Sue II would fit in.

BadWolf

Details including side tournament and panels for The King of Fighters XIV at EVO

The world’s largest fighting game event just got a whole lot bigger, because SNK and ATLUS are bringing THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV to EVO 2016. We’ve got our very own Team ATLUS ready to go — consisting of excited marketing and production employees who are burning to step into the ring and show off the games to the passionate fighting game community at the ATLUS booth!

Fighting game enthusiasts from around the world attending EVO 2016 will have the opportunity for hands-on time with SNK’s THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV at the ATLUS booth throughout the show. With tighter controls, improved Combo and MAX Mode mechanics, series first 3D graphics, and more, KOF XIV is ready for prime time at the fighting game community’s biggest stage. In fact, we’ll have the latest build just for the show! For those looking for the thrill and agony of intense competition, we’ll be holding a side tournament on Saturday with sign ups being held here. Entry is free and there will be a prize for the top three. Oh, and did we mention that the prize is cold hard cash? (Which, for security reasons, will be mailed to winners after EVO.)

1st place prize: $1,400

2nd place prize: $700

3rd place prize: $350

There’s also an SNK panel featuring key developers and artists who worked on the long-running series, which will be immediately followed by an autograph session. Check out the full schedule below:

FRIDAY, JULY 15

All Day: THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV Freeplay and Tournament Practice Stations

SATURDAY, JULY 16

All Day: THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV Freeplay Stations

12:00 PM – 1:00 PM: SNK Developers Panel

1:00 PM – 1:30 PM: SNK Developers Autograph Session

2:00 PM : Side Tournament (ATLUS Booth) Matches Begin

TBD: Special Exhibition Match

TBD: Side Tournament Top 8

Another good trailer. It was nice to see Angel and Ramon in motion.

Though, the only KOD things that the trailer showed me were the armored throw(which I thought was EX only, so cool!) and the EX active tupon(looks fast, but is it projectile invincible?). No MAX mode combos, no...combos. KOD will be one of those characters that folks will just have to play and figure out on their own.

Though, when KOD does his Super DM version of "Dinner of Dinosaur", he yells "DINNER TIME!", so that's good.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mad props to SNK Music team for going with a weird Mexican Jazzy Smooth Groove instead of the "usual mariachi"

Call me crazy, but I don't like Angel's design much. Almost every classic character gets really good redesigns but she's still dresses like it's KoF 2001. That's the last game SNK needs to invoke in this huge revival of the franchise.

OmegaDL50

Call me crazy, but I don't like Angel's design much. Almost every classic character gets really good redesigns but she's still dresses like it's KoF 2001. That's the last game SNK needs to invoke in this huge revival of the franchise.

Seeing as KOF 2001 was the very game Angel was introduced in. I don't see why this is a bad thing.

BadWolf

Nah, she's really popular and her design still stands out. She also hasn't been in a mainline entry in a long time so it's not like she has been overexposed.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
to this day I'm still confused on how angel plays

so essentially she has a "branch-out" special moves, except they're mostly grapples?

BadWolf

^Np.

I'll add this link as well: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2WAxkcvfTKdNVBfU2g1anFhOEU&usp=sharing

It's Angel's 2K2UM hitboxes. They can be read to get a sense of what Angel's UC move's properties could be in 14.

Nice, thanks.

to this day I'm still confused on how angel plays

so essentially she has a "branch-out" special moves, except they're mostly grapples?

She's a chain based character and is very versatile.

She does have throw follow ups to her chains but her chain system is a lot more than that since aside from throws she can also incorporate chain attacks that hit low, overheads, supers, unblockables, dash cancels, fake-outs etc.

She can't do these chain based moves just like that though, they have to start via starter specials or her other moves. For example, she has kind of a stomp looking move which can act as an anti-air of sorts but can also go into her chain moves (so she can do juggle chain combos). She also has a command grab which lets her combo further. Other than that she has a whole range of starter special normals that allow her to go into chain combos after a regular normal.

She also has a dashing command grab which can be blocked but can also be used to go through opponents. The animation of this dash is also cancellable into her chain moves. This can also be incorporated into her chain combos mentioned above so she can do chain combos within chain combos lol.

So yeah, she's a very deep character and pretty unique.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
^Np.

Nice, thanks.

She's a chain based character and is very versatile.

She does have throw follow ups to her chains but her chain system is a lot more than that since aside from throws she can also incorporate chain attacks that hit low, overheads, supers, unblockables, dash cancels, fake-outs etc.

She can't do these chain based moves just like that though, they have to start via starter specials or her other moves. For example, she has kind of a stomp looking move which can act as an anti-air of sorts but can also go into her chain moves (so she can do juggle chain combos). She also has a command grab which lets her combo further. Other than that she has a whole range of starter special normals that allow her to go into chain combos after a regular normal.

She also has a dashing command grab which can be blocked but can also be used to go through opponents. The animation of this dash is also cancellable into her chain moves. This can also be incorporated into her chain combos mentioned above so she can do chain combos within chain combos lol.

So yeah, she's a very deep character and pretty unique.

I should really try her in UM. Chain grappler sorta like King but applied in 2D fighting eh?

Amedo310

I should really try her in UM. Chain grappler sorta like King but applied in 2D fighting eh?

No. She only has three command grabs and they do not chain together at all. Her max 2, people's elbow, act as a grab as well on down opponents. So I guess that is four in 02um.

Top Bottom