• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

BadWolf

Many thanks. Since Team SexMex is going to be my Day 1 team, I might as well brush up and actually start learning every member.

Going all in with the entire team eh? Very nice, I was tempted too but I'm going to hold off on the third spot till I see Meitenkun, Alice and Love Heart.

...though with so many characters looking so damn fun I'll probably end up with more than one day 1 team -_-

I should really try her in UM. Chain grappler sorta like King but applied in 2D fighting eh?

Like Amedo310 mentioned, she's not a chain grappler (she has no grabs that need to be chained together via combinations like King), she's a chain based character as whole. Throws are just a part of her arsenal and can be incorporated into her combos/mixups.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh I see, so it's still mostly just chaining specials (so sorta like rekkas albeit different attacks) with some grabs here and there?

EDIT: ah wait, so just really chain attacks/rekkas but with different attacks, but some can be set up by throws

Negaduck

^Np.

Nice, thanks.

She's a chain based character and is very versatile.

She does have throw follow ups to her chains but her chain system is a lot more than that since aside from throws she can also incorporate chain attacks that hit low, overheads, supers, unblockables, dash cancels, fake-outs etc.

She can't do these chain based moves just like that though, they have to start via starter specials or her other moves. For example, she has kind of a stomp looking move which can act as an anti-air of sorts but can also go into her chain moves (so she can do juggle chain combos). She also has a command grab which lets her combo further. Other than that she has a whole range of starter special normals that allow her to go into chain combos after a regular normal.

She also has a dashing command grab which can be blocked but can also be used to go through opponents. The animation of this dash is also cancellable into her chain moves. This can also be incorporated into her chain combos mentioned above so she can do chain combos within chain combos lol.

So yeah, she's a very deep character and pretty unique.

So in a reductive way, like rekkas? But a lot more branches than just normal rekkas?

Trying to get my brain to understand better lol.

TreIII

Going all in with the entire team eh? Very nice, I was tempted too but I'm going to hold off on the third spot till I see Meitenkun, Alice and Love Heart.

...though with so many characters looking so damn fun I'll probably end up with more than one day 1 team -_-

And I'm fully prepared for that possibility, as well.

All I know is that I can at least see myself going through Story Mode with SexMex, first. So that likely means grinding in the lab for all three members just to make sure I'm adequately prepared to meet the challenge of the New Age of SNK Bosses~!

BadWolf

Ahh I see, so it's still mostly just chaining specials (so sorta like rekkas albeit different attacks) with some grabs here and there?

EDIT: ah wait, so just really chain attacks/rekkas but with different attacks, but some can be set up by throws

So in a reductive way, like rekkas? But a lot more branches than just normal rekkas?

It's better to think of her as doing her own thing, she's rather unique.

And I'm fully prepared for that possibility, as well.

All I know is that I can at least see myself going through Story Mode with SexMex, first. So that likely means grinding in the lab for all three members just to make sure I'm adequately prepared to meet the challenge of the New Age of SNK Bosses~!

Can't wait to see those bosses in action. So glad that SNK has decided to make a boss (Antonov) which seems like he is meant to last ala Geese, Kain etc. instead of just being a one off.

She has a set of moves that are starters and let her access "UC" (Unchained Circle) moves. From there, you can chain UC moves into one another according to specific rules or go into a UC finisher that is only available from UC.

Things open up from there because her command dash is both a starter and available as part of UC, allowing you to reset your chain and go for sequences of UC moves bypassing the basic rules.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
KOF's 48 Character Build shown off in France's JapanExpo

At the Japan Expo 2016 taking place in Paris this weekend, producer Yasuyuki Oda took the venue's main stage and made a presentation to show KOF XIV's 48 character build for the first time in public. The build features all characters excluding the middle boss Antonov and last boss.

This was shown a few days ago, actually. I wonder why no news or videos are coming out of Japan Expo? Where my Pocket-phone stream from Frio? XD

Man, that collaboration is pretty neat.

Definitely unexpected, though very fitting.

KoeiTecmo teams up with everyone, lol. Sophitia is in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate! I wonder if this opens to the doors to having some KoF characters appear in a future Musou... that'd be awesome as well. They do a great job adapting fanservice into their movesets and soundtracks.

This is honestly the kind of stuff I'm expecting from their mentioned desire to further their licensing and brand value. It takes less effort on their own internal studio's part, but still keep people thinking about SNK in general.

Kasumi in KOFXIV pls!!!

I'd be alright with this, though I'd personally prefer Ayane.

This was shown a few days ago, actually. I wonder why no news or videos are coming out of Japan Expo? Where my Pocket-phone stream from Frio? XD

Maybe it was only a demo?

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/750576783750234112
They said on twitter it was the 36 char build that was playable. Weird.

Edit: Yeah, This pic shows the chara select screen, it's the 36 one that's playable there.

---
At the very least this probably means the 48 character one is going to be playable at EVO, right? I hope there's a stream~ =3

Spman2099

Watch as the cyborg boxer turns out to be Cyborg Rick on his quest for REVENGEANCE against Geese for that rigged Death Match that left him a shambling corpse.
Who also uses Vanessa's moves :V

I am not okay with them replacing their best character (I know, this statement is crazy subjective). I am also really confused by it. Everywhere I go, where people are discussing this game, fans are asking for Vanessa. She has to be one of the most requested characters. Clearly I'm not the only one who really took to her.

BadWolf

MMCafe

What's more, DLC costumes based on Yuri Sakazaki, Kasumi Todo, and Hinako will be added in the update. Yuri and Kasumi's costumes will be breakable as a shoutout to their Art Of Fighting origin.

What the shit, France? I thought we were friends.

48 character build confirmed for EVO?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Maybe it was only a demo?

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/750576783750234112
They said on twitter it was the 36 char build that was playable. Weird.

Edit: Yeah, This pic shows the chara select screen, it's the 36 one that's playable there.

---
At the very least this probably means the 48 character one is going to be playable at EVO, right? I hope there's a stream~ =3

Yeah, I figured it was just a stage presentation for the new build, not playable. I just wonder where some footage of people playing the 36 chara build (or something from the stage presentation) are. Honestly, people might just feel we've seen the 36 chara build enough now, so there's no use recording their shot at playing the same one now.

It's just quieter than I expected, y'know? It's out in the wild in Europe, normally that gets SOME noise.

I am not okay with them replacing their best character (I know, this statement is crazy subjective). I am also really confused by it. Everywhere I go, where people are discussing this game, fans are asking for Vanessa. She has to be one of the most requested characters. Clearly I'm not the only one who really took to her.

There will ALWAYS be noise about whichever KoF character is missing from a roster.

People need to stop getting worried that 'nessa is "missing" or "replaced". If SNK is as serious about making actual GAMES again (which they appear to be), I'm sure we'll see her sooner or later. Every old favorite was once a new character too. And many NEST and ASH saga characters were in loads of games during the SNKP years. They can rest for a while.

What the shit, France? I thought we were friends.

48 character build confirmed for EVO?

I'm thinking 48 will premier at Evo and on the newest KOF Station at basically the same time. It matches up with the timing and words from the last KoF station, and it'd be a great place to show off such things.

Hopefully this means we don't have to wait FOREVER to see some Alice and Kensou, much like how Heiny and Yuri appeared before their trailers.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It was mentioned in the Translated interview that they once thought about making XIV more realistic, and less anime / cartoony than it is now, but the more realistic style didn't mesh well with the crazy colors and styles of some KoF characters.

Team Ninja's version of Mai makes me agree wit them even more. Much like how Tekken might be crazy competent in design and technical quality, but it's probably one of the least appealing set of 3D character designs in fighters to me.

I don't think KoF is best served by heightened realism. Animation-inspired flair fits their movesets and character personalities SO much better, and it makes the product feel less like cosplayers in wigs, and more like citizens of their own world.

Dude lives in Morocco lol, he's getting ready to go to EVO on a last minute decision too

Oh, I'm not seriously mad or over-expecting, just commenting on how he's so ever-present in all European KOF sightings, lol. I was surprised years ago when he and friends were getting vids from Gamescon, with loads of views of them just sitting around on the shows floor, just chilling around the very small KoF XIII setup.

Good for him coming to Evo though!

*shifts all blame for lacking KoF Europe coverage over to Gunsmith!* ;-)
Still kidding!

TreIII

SAB_CA said:
KoeiTecmo teams up with everyone, lol. Sophitia is in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate! I wonder if this opens to the doors to having some KoF characters appear in a future Musou... that'd be awesome as well. They do a great job adapting fanservice into their movesets and soundtracks.

This is honestly the kind of stuff I'm expecting from their mentioned desire to further their licensing and brand value. It takes less effort on their own internal studio's part, but still keep people thinking about SNK in general.

At best, maybe we could get Kyo, Iori, Chizuru Terry, Mai and/or Kula to show up in Orochi 4.

Not the right Orochi, but most of them have experience fighting their own!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
At best, maybe we could get Kyo, Iori, Chizuru Terry, Mai and/or Kula to show up in Orochi 4.

Not the right Orochi, but most of them have experience fighting their own!

Well, I mean... when you put it like THAT, "OROCHI" needs to have a new form from a parallel universe, no? Shuten Dogi was a fragment of Orochi that looked kinda different, now we have one that looks REALLY different!

Kaguya already has mirrors, Tamamo has her own mirror, the Kusanagi and Yasakani clan representations could all be there... Eesh, there's WAY too much to play around with if they decided to cross up earnestly.

You know it's kinda mind-blowing this game has FIFTY characters, so close to launch now!

It's like... impossible to think how I'll call anyone a "main" for a good long while, lol. I'm quite prepared to be surprised by character I didn't even expect, and this can happen for WEEKS on end, with the game still feeling pretty new, even with tens of matches per day.

So much good stuff, closer and closer by the day...

I've already decided that I'd go through the whole roster before deciding on a team even though there is probably a handful of characters I could most likely already play decently due to familiarity alone.

This is like my first proper KoF so it's gonna be one hell of an adventure finding a team that fits my style.

Really looking forward to this game!

BadWolf

Via SRK... via Gamefaqs (!?), here's videos of the Japan Expo Presentation!

21 min: https://youtu.be/VgXF07MBurY
15 min: https://youtu.be/WhTzvwmcSZc

Thanks man!

EDIT:

- Footage of Mian, Mature and Zarina in action
- Mian has a double jump looking thing? Maybe she and not Zarina is the one who spends time in the air? Really cool character.
- Zarina looks cute and well animated. Her throw, normals and specials all reference Bob Wilson.
- It sounded like Oda said that there will be 18 stages plus the training stage.
- Oda hovered over Love Heart and Xanadu but didn't pick them ;_;

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, we get to see Zarina, her stance (like a chill Elena), some of her specials. Also some Mian (who changes mask in even her neutral stance) and live play of Mature.

Mentioned by bley43 on SRK:
In the second video Oda said that there's special hidden BGM depending on different combinations of characters.

And Via MMaker:

Team themes names:

China Team: Inheritance
Another World Team: Magical Sky
Psycho Soldier Team: tachi bou ke -Instrumental-
Women Fighters Team: Splendid Soldier
Southtown Team: Soy Sauce for Koyadofu

HIDDEN TEAM THEMES?! :O

I was hoping that we MIGHT get special stories or endings based on certain combinations, but that's pretty damn cool!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Via AT_Ryo: http://twitter.com/ATRyoSakazaki/status/751922656451162112/photo/1

New Handicap System for #KOFXIV #KOF14
5) Power Gauge MAX
4) Power Gauge + 1
3) Nothing
2) 75% HP
1) 50% HP

Cm9c8k8WYAAoYLk.jpg

These were the options being selected in the 2 videos shown above, after selecting characters and colors.

TreIII

One of my fave things about KOF98 is finally coming back?! Awesome!

SNK putting on a clinic of how to make sure your release is content-rich all over again, I LOVE it.

I just remembered we'd be getting KOF Station Channel #2 soon too. Between that and EVO with the new build, maybe a major announcement isn't such an unreasonable expectation.

demo on July 19th pls

Archtreyz

I was recommended Last Blade 2 and I'm enjoying it so far. I can't wait to jump into this. 50 characters to explore sounds wonderful.

Another preorder bonus PS4 theme for Japan, this time Rakuten Books (and that's where I preordered, woo! Though i kinda wish for the Joshin Fatal Fury one but oh well!).
Can anyone pick the artist? It's a shame i'm guessing Shinkiro probably can't do one of these!

h5WSwaR.jpg

Check this out too, a Sofmap store has caught some Neo-SNK fever!

wLtmns8l.jpg

vPA7aaxl.jpg

They're running the latest promo vids daily!

Another preorder bonus PS4 theme for Japan, this time Rakuten Books (and that's where I preordered, woo! Though i kinda wish for the Joshin Fatal Fury one but oh well!).
Can anyone pick the artist? It's a shame i'm guessing Shinkiro probably can't do one of these!

h5WSwaR.jpg

Crazy thought, but with confirmation of secret team themes what if images like this are unlocked in-game via special teams as well? I've been trying to think of team combinations that could trigger special themes/images

94 Women's Team: King, Mai, Yuri
NESTS Girls Team (shown above): Sylvie, Angel, Kula
SNK Hero Team: Terry, Kyo, Ryo
2003 Fatal Fury Team: Terry, Joe, KoD
Classic Korea Team: Chang, Choi, Kim
KoF Hero Team: Kyo, K', Shun'Ei

Well then I looked at some of the special and wacky combinations from 97 and 98 that they could totally do again. Maybe not a theme, but a special bonus picture or something. Also I totally forgot how specific conditions were in regards to Kyo's ending in KoF 97.

Top Bottom