• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Part 1 (31 min): https://youtu.be/xKWu3Q5ggCk
Part 2 (5 min): https://youtu.be/Nuk4UV76HNo
Part 3 (6 min): https://youtu.be/cpbMNN74VaM

Notable parts:
- Antonov and the final boss are unlockable after completing story mode;
- rush combos only work when in range for a close A for balance purpose;
- you can hear characters' voice on the pad;
- you can change position on the training stage while touching the touchpad (touch the edge for corner, middle to reset);
- Oda just wanted to put a dinosaur in the game, that's how KoD came as a character;
- some kind of shuffle mode in party battle mode where players can change position (and team I guess?);
- still dodging questions about netcode and using PR-speak (he does know about KOF13's issues and he'll make sure we get a good netcode);
- rank match and free match confirmed (can choose between 3v3 and 1v1);
- you can put custom text on the billboards on Neo Esaka just like that one stage in Xrd;
- he is avoiding Meitenkun and other unrevealed characters not on previous builds on purpose, for obvious reasons, he did say however that he uses his pillow as a projectile;
- no collector version for EU;
- no plan of physical remastered classics on PS4 (he actually said "that's quite the demand, but don't be afraid to ask us things like uh, a pack of PS4 KOF games");
- MotW weren't added because Oda thinks there's already enough FF characters, although he jokingly hints about KoD;
- no plan for DLC yet;
- Oda wishes to have Akuma as a KOF guest character;
- any project after KOF14 is kept as a secret.

Village

I agree with this. I think out of place characters like Nakoruru are fine. At LEAST use someone OTHER than Akuma. That's a really boring choice.

Akuma is hype as hell, He has increased my already fever pitch excitement for tekken 7. God tekken 7 looks so damn good right now.

The only reason I would say not akuma is because...well he's hanging out with mishima's, actual cool characters and stuff.

So you know who would be cool

Haggar.

Loona

So Akuma's the go-to character to travel between fighting game realms....

Onore DIKEIDO!!!!!!!!

Namco X Capcom and Asura's Wrath pretty much established he has that ability.

Thing is, with no Rugal or Mr Karate as the classic worthy rival in XIV, would they try to prop up Antonov to that level this early on?...

Now Geese vs Haggar, now that's a crossover match I'd like to see - you CAN fight city hall in South Town.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
For me, I don't think I've been impressed with Akuma as a character since "Alpha" series. Well, ok, he was kinda cool in SFIII as well, since he actually learned a new trick or 2.

The only reasons I'd want to see him in KoF is so we could he his true rival Mr. Karate return to challenge him, and because I think SNK could actually do some interesting things with him, beyond just being an EX Dark Skin Ryu with less health over and over and over and over and over.

And didn't Ryo cross into FF: Special (1993) a year before Akuma made it into Xmen (1994)?

For me, I'd rather see SNK cross over with UNIEL / Melty, Chaos Code, or help support the legend of Akatsuki as a crossover character (I really enjoy how he turned out in UNIEL). A crossover with Lab Zero would be the weirdest thing ever, too, but could produce cool results.

Spman2099

There will ALWAYS be noise about whichever KoF character is missing from a roster.

People need to stop getting worried that 'nessa is "missing" or "replaced". If SNK is as serious about making actual GAMES again (which they appear to be), I'm sure we'll see her sooner or later. Every old favorite was once a new character too. And many NEST and ASH saga characters were in loads of games during the SNKP years. They can rest for a while.

Yeah, I'm just cranky because my character didn't make a pretty huge roster. It really hurt that I never got to see her playable in FFXIII; it really feels like we will never get to see KOF fighters look as good as they did in that game.

I really hope they are planning to add some DLC characters. Surely to God she will get added if they do... right?

Loona

For me, I don't think I've been impressed with Akuma as a character since "Alpha" series. Well, ok, he was kinda cool in SFIII as well, since he actually learned a new trick or 2.

The only reasons I'd want to see him in KoF is so we could he his true rival Mr. Karate return to challenge him, and because I think SNK could actually do some interesting things with him, beyond just being an EX Dark Skin Ryu with less health over and over and over and over and over.

They were already set up as rivals in SvC Chaos though - the game had issues, but it was a clear acknowledgement that as the older character that expanded on the protagonist's moves, Mr Karate was a more fitting rival than Rugal.

SvC MotM was a weird on in that regard though, since it used Iori for that purpose.

Still, for XIV, Geese could work, even if he was in all the other Capcom crossovers and showed no particular connection to Gouki then... his Nightmare self could give Shin Gouki/Oni a run for his money...

And didn't Ryo cross into FF: Special (1993) a year before Akuma made it into Xmen (1994)?

For me, I'd rather see SNK cross over with UNIEL / Melty, Chaos Code, or help support the legend of Akatsuki as a crossover character (I really enjoy how he turned out in UNIEL). A crossover with Lab Zero would be the weirdest thing ever, too, but could produce cool results.

UNIEL seems a bit too recent to be a worth crossover partner, although a guest among others could work.
I think a more veteran dev like Sega would be a far more fitting crossover partner - plenty of history in the genre, a respected reputation that yet doesn't always reflect on a lot of mainstream exposure, not to mention many other points in common between the companies that have nothing to do with fighting games specifically.
Still, the DoA5LR Mai guest spot is a nice step in a good direction - DoA is undervalued in the wider views on the genre despite being great too, no unlike many SNK series.

qcf x2

Akuma? I'd take it but bleh. Rose on the other hand would fit KoF quite nicely. Or Urien but only in a KoF with Yamazaki.

TreIII

- Oda just wanted to put a dinosaur in the game, that's how KoD came as a character

A most wise choice.
KuGsj.gif

Anyway...I'm ambivalent to old boy Akuma/Gouki showing up in yet ANOTHER fighting game on the SNK side. Yes, it's well established that it's his "thing", but I'd take someone like Morrigan (Capcom's OTHER fighting game crossover go-to) at this point, for something that could be a change of pace. And hell, it's not like a new Darkstalkers is going to be a thing.

Of course, if a new Samurai Shodown is going to be a thing, I'd rather they did a crossover with Namco and Soulcalibur, instead. Friggin Nightmare showing up would be pretty hype, and in turn, Soulcalibur could have Nakoruru stop by and give Mitsurugi his Haohmaru-inspired alt from SC2, again.

I already pre ordered a North american limited edition along with a regular EU version. Ill play the EU version until i recieve the special edition and then give the regular to my bro.

Im based in the UK.

Vyse24

Well seeing how KoF14 might be a PS4 exclusive, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow, they would get a team representing Final Fantasy, whether it's VII or XV. It'll never happen, but still...

lupinko

Well seeing how KoF14 might be a PS4 exclusive, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow, they would get a team representing Final Fantasy, whether it's VII or XV. It'll never happen, but still...

It's so far a PS4 console exclusive, it's likely to go to PC given their recent PC success in addition to China / HK / Taiwan as their largest market.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, I'm just cranky because my character didn't make a pretty huge roster. It really hurt that I never got to see her playable in FFXIII; it really feels like we will never get to see KOF fighters look as good as they did in that game.
It does suck we won't see her in that style for a while (if ever). Maybe if they do a XIII UM in the future?

I really hope they are planning to add some DLC characters. Surely to God she will get added if they do... right?

First off, I wonder if we'll see a model for her in story mode, or something of the sort. If something like that happens, I think the chance of seeing the model expanded on as potential DLC after surprise success, increase a bit.

When Oda was showing Kyo and Iori 1v1, the music playing in the background sounded like New Order (Kyo & Iori Team Theme) from KOFXI. Guess we got our first taste of special themes.

Good catch, I was listening with low volume, lol. I'm glad this is a feature of the game, I wish SFV game me ways to listen to chara-themes in local VS, for example. It's nice having dynamic changes when you'll be playing a bunch of sets with your friends, y'know?

I love this new era of collaberations. Much love to Hayashi,Ono and Harada. Now perhaps Oda will be added into that list too.

Yeah, I love the fact that old rivals now share and share alike between each other. There are characters I might hate in their own series, that I'd love under the move, gameplay, and artistic direction of a different team. I'm glad we get to see a lot of that happen now.

They were already set up as rivals in SvC Chaos though - the game had issues, but it was a clear acknowledgement that as the older character that expanded on the protagonist's moves, Mr Karate was a more fitting rival than Rugal.

Exactly why I want to see it happen again! :) I'd gladly weather Akuma's inclusion to have Karate back; he fits the old, wise master bill so much more than Akuma, who just feels like a twisted offensively-tan-skinned-monster most of the time. I'd rather see attractively-sunburned Sakura come back every once in a while... lets give Yuri a mysterious rival she can also make fun of!

SvC MotM was a weird on in that regard though, since it used Iori for that purpose.

Still, for XIV, Geese could work, even if he was in all the other Capcom crossovers and showed no particular connection to Gouki then... his Nightmare self could give Shin Gouki/Oni a run for his money...
Since I loved MoTM, it can do no wrong! *ahem*
Geese seeing another Jin Scroll-like power in Akuma would work out well. I don't think he even needs Nightmare powers to be a challenge; It'd work for Geese just to obtain such power on his own.

UNIEL seems a bit too recent to be a worth crossover partner, although a guest among others could work.
It's specifically because it's new that I'd like to see it, in this case. I"d love to see them forge some new partnerships with willing devs, not just chomping at past glories. Shun'Ei would probably fit in very well with UNIEL's cast...

I think a more veteran dev like Sega would be a far more fitting crossover partner - plenty of history in the genre, a respected reputation that yet doesn't always reflect on a lot of mainstream exposure, not to mention many other points in common between the companies that have nothing to do with fighting games specifically.

I'd love to see it. From Virtua Fighters to Burning Rangers or Streets of Rage characters, a surprise collaboration between the 2 would be music to my ears. And a stage with glorious blue skies and the Outrun car being purchased by Robert.

Still, the DoA5LR Mai guest spot is a nice step in a good direction - DoA is undervalued in the wider views on the genre despite being great too, no unlike many SNK series.

Much agreed. I think they share similar-ish fanbases, that either could agree well with each other, or could learn of the other for the first time, and appreciate the other.

Akuma? I'd take it but bleh. Rose on the other hand would fit KoF quite nicely. Or Urien but only in a KoF with Yamazaki.

Rose in SNK style would be glorious. I've rarely thought of it, now I'll secretly want it until it happens. Not like she'd doing anything in SF right now...

Anyway...I'm ambivalent to old boy Akuma/Gouki showing up in yet ANOTHER fighting game on the SNK side. Yes, it's well established that it's his "thing", but I'd take someone like Morrigan (Capcom's OTHER fighting game crossover go-to) at this point, for something that could be a change of pace. And hell, it's not like a new Darkstalkers is going to be a thing.
SNK's take on Demitri was SO good. He had a wicked darkness to him that I never fully got from his Darkstalkers versions. Without any sense to reason, I'd love to see Hsien-Ko. This will most likely never, ever, ever happen, lol.

If SNK ever got the chance to add a Rival Schools character... I'd love to see Daigo or Akira.

Of course, if a new Samurai Shodown is going to be a thing, I'd rather they did a crossover with Namco and Soulcalibur, instead. Friggin Nightmare showing up would be pretty hype, and in turn, Soulcalibur could have Nakoruru stop by and give Mitsurugi his Haohmaru-inspired alt from SC2, again.

Soul Calibur guest in a new SamSho would be amazing, heh. This is where I beg for Talim too, with no rhyme or reason. NIghtmare would be a perfect "Akuma-like" guest, you're right.

TreIII

SNK's take on Demitri was SO good. He had a wicked darkness to him that I never fully got from his Darkstalkers versions. Without any sense to reason, I'd love to see Hsien-Ko. This will most likely never, ever, ever happen, lol.

If SNK ever got the chance to add a Rival Schools character... I'd love to see Daigo or Akira.

Akira would be my personal pick, most definitely. Although, if Itsuno had any sway on that kind of decision, I'd be willing to bet it'd be Kyosuke, again. At the very least, it'd be a revival of their "rivalry" from CvS2.

And agreed on Demitri. I always chalked that up to how SNK rendered his animations in his style, and how Nobuyuki Hiyama was able to go full ham in a way he never was able to in Vampire proper.

"GO! TO! HELL!!!"

Soul Calibur guest in a new SamSho would be amazing, heh. This is where I beg for Talim too, with no rhyme or reason. Nightmare would be a perfect "Akuma-like" guest, you're right.

I picked Nightmare largely for two reasons: one, because he is a favorite for that "Sinister Badass" figure (like Gouki), and two, because...well, he is a part of Project Soul's logo. You can't get more emblematic for representing SC than that! And who knows, if old boy Ares was interested in Soul Edge's power, who's to say Ambrosia or Yuga wouldn't either?

Frankly, I think it would be a wise move to make for both SNK and Namco alike. SS and SC have a lot of things in common, including how they're both series that fell by the wayside, largely due to mishandling and neglect. It'd be a great way to show that both series are back in the game for the long haul, by joining hands and doing a bit to support each other mutually. And fans would have their pick of a 2D and 3D weapons based fighting game, on the same token!

Crazy thought, but with confirmation of secret team themes what if images like this are unlocked in-game via special teams as well? I've been trying to think of team combinations that could trigger special themes/images

94 Women's Team: King, Mai, Yuri
NESTS Girls Team (shown above): Sylvie, Angel, Kula
SNK Hero Team: Terry, Kyo, Ryo
2003 Fatal Fury Team: Terry, Joe, KoD
Classic Korea Team: Chang, Choi, Kim
KoF Hero Team: Kyo, K', Shun'Ei

Well then I looked at some of the special and wacky combinations from 97 and 98 that they could totally do again. Maybe not a theme, but a special bonus picture or something. Also I totally forgot how specific conditions were in regards to Kyo's ending in KoF 97.

Highly doubt that Kula would team up with Sylvie & Angel, given that Sylvie's evil (& in which Kula never met her) & Angel treating Kula like garbage during & after 2001 (& not to mention, trying to kill her & her guardians in the process) which led to her teaming up with K' & Maxima in the first place.

The rest would definitely work, though.

TreIII

Highly doubt that Kula would team up with Sylvie & Angel, given that Sylvie's evil (& in which Kula never met her) & Angel treating Kula like garbage after 2001 (& not to mention, trying to kill her & her guardians in the process) which led to her teaming up with K' & Maxima in the first place.

The rest would definitely work, though.

That's going to be definitely one of the more interesting aspects we'll see play out in this game. Since this will be the first time we've seen Angel outside of a Dream Match post-2001, it remains to be seen just how much of her original story (which was pretty reliant on the now-retconned K9999) still applies.

I wonder if Nameless will even get a name drop of any sort.

Korigama

That's going to be definitely one of the more interesting aspects we'll see play out in this game. Since this will be the first time we've seen Angel outside of a Dream Match post-2001, it remains to be seen just how much of her original story (which was pretty reliant on the now-retconned K9999) still applies.

I wonder if Nameless will even get a name drop of any sort.
This is something that's been on my mind as well. Angel's backstory pretty much revolved around K9999, and with him erased from the series altogether, it calls into question just how much of 2001 actually happened. Plus, even with Nameless established as the real 9,999th Kyo clone (mixed with K' DNA), he doesn't look or act anything like K9999, nor does he have the same backstory or motivations, or any connection to Angel beyond both being NESTS affiliates, so they couldn't just say that she was tagging along with him instead.

Would be interesting to see if Nameless is validated outside of 2002 UM either way.
Vanessa would not be pleased
Eh, Ramon's interest in Vanessa has always been pretty one-sided.

Loona

Instead of the usual Gouki and Morrigan, whose fighting styles are basically Ryu variations with aerial projectiles, it'd be interesting if the Capcom ambassador got to be someone designed for that function, like Captain Commando, whose moves are a bit more distinctive than that. Might as well be classy with the meta of it all.

Aw yess. Ivy would be great too, as she's pretty distinct move-wise. Harada being a fan of SS could help this happen one day - I hope SNK's efforts do well enough to make this idea seem worthwhile for Namco Bandai in the near future.

Seems far-fetched, but SE used Kyo and Iori in Lord of Vermilion II, which also had FF characters, and the hatchet over the High Score Girl mess seems to be buried...

The closest to something like that happening might be a FF character like Tifa making it to a hypothetical DoA5LR DLC update to share a game with Mai, since Tecmo Koei is working on arcade Dissidia, and that's the one character in Dissidia that would fit.

It does suck we won't see her in that style for a while (if ever). Maybe if they do a XIII UM in the future?

This seems unlikely - at most, XIII could be updated with the stages and music unique to XII... The Egypt track was amazing

Exactly why I want to see it happen again! :) I'd gladly weather Akuma's inclusion to have Karate back; he fits the old, wise master bill so much more than Akuma, who just feels like a twisted offensively-tan-skinned-monster most of the time.

Gouki is often depicted as this "power made flesh" thing that happens to people, wrecking stuff in its path, but in a few ways he's like a failed version of Takuma.

If you look at how Gouki's story elements tend to play out nowadays, a recurring story element is for him to try and get Ryu to follow his legacy (SFA) while visibly aging (SF3) - he succeeded his master in combat, but severed his ties with the only family he has (Gouken, who's not dead nowadays, but they're beyond reconciliation now). He has some accomplishments to his name now (wrecked a Bison body in SF2, destroyed Ayer's Rock, etc...), but he's convinced no one to follow in his footsteps - Ryu's lingering story is mostly about rejecting him, so Goutetsu's more ruthless teaching will die with him, as Gouken's path will survive through Ryu and Ken.

Meanwhile Takuma became peak human, raised a family, has a son faithfully following in his legacy, a daughter and gifted student that apply their own variation of his teachings, and in his canon, Ryo's legacy gets to spread through another generation in the very least through Marco Rodriguez, and that's if Ryo and King don't get it on and have a junior of their own to carry on the teachings through the Sakazaki bloodline.

At the end of the day, even if he's breaking mountains with his fists, Gouki must feel a bit pathetic with every rejection he gets from Ryu, seeing his life amount to nothing that will last.

I'd rather see attractively-sunburned Sakura come back every once in a while... lets give Yuri a mysterious rival she can also make fun of!

Dan was already that rival, who matches her in his peculiar aproximations to moves from the rival company - he may be small fry in the SF setting, but he's still talented in the grand scheme of things, which isn't too far off from Yuri's own role.

Since I loved MoTM, it can do no wrong! *ahem*

I love MotM, it's a game-saped love letter to both companies, but the Iori/Gouki thing was still odd - the most they have in common is their tendency to stalk the protagonists of their own series, and messed up psyches - not a lot that would get them to clash with each other.

Geese seeing another Jin Scroll-like power in Akuma would work out well. I don't think he even needs Nightmare powers to be a challenge; It'd work for Geese just to obtain such power on his own.

Geese's MO seems closer to integrating interesting techniques into his own arsenal, and he has plenty of counterparts to Gouki's own classic moves - at most, I could imagine him becoming interested in the whole Oni transition process...

It's specifically because it's new that I'd like to see it, in this case. I"d love to see them forge some new partnerships with willing devs, not just chomping at past glories. Shun'Ei would probably fit in very well with UNIEL's cast...

Hmm, I do wonder if his design and air dashing were made with that sort of collaboration in mind - IIRC they said he was made to appeal to a younger audience, and with that in mind I could imagine them charging lower licensing fees than other classic character to other devs who want to have an SNK character in their game...

I'd love to see it. From Virtua Fighters to Burning Rangers or Streets of Rage characters, a surprise collaboration between the 2 would be music to my ears. And a stage with glorious blue skies and the Outrun car being purchased by Robert.

... and as those blue skies fill with Metal Slug martian, Space Harrier could be seen shooting several of them down. Elsewhere, NESTS makes Dural copies...

Rose in SNK style would be glorious. I've rarely thought of it, now I'll secretly want it until it happens. Not like she'd doing anything in SF right now...

Alex seems like the better fit to me - a grappler protagonist project with KoF movement options, and his design would fit in well (I like Rose, but her hair stick out like hell even in her native series).

SNK Demitri was great, but I can't help but think that Midnight Bliss was a decisive factor. I'd personally like more Talbain.

Amen to Akira.

Mai Shiranui would kill Akuma.

She did win the one Death Battle any SNK character was in... Can't help but wonder about the difference between the skills she uses in public competition and the more deadly ninja stuff the Shiranui teaching might consist of, especially considering the principles behind all the techniques Andy and Hokutomaru use - the projectiles, speed and teleporting used in an efficient and ruthless manner could make Gouki's mountain-punching feats look pretty useless if he can't even reach his target properly...

Numb

Love guest characters but would prefer more SNK characters in this case
KoD reason being in could have been anything and no one would doubt it

Village

Mai Shiranui would kill Akuma.
Akuma is fighting mishima's atm now while its the non satan one, depending on how that goes outside of actual deities that kind of put him over... A lot of the kof roster. Tekken characters...are deceptively powerful.

Speaking of which, i want kof x tekken. So I can play as leo the closest thing to rock howard im going to get at this point.

Top Bottom