• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Loona

Meh
If youre gonna give me shirtless geese as base, you gotta intice me with president geese if u want me to form over money for alts dlc

Didn't Nightmare Geese's player 2 palette in RBS (and I think in KoF2002UM?) have purple skin to highlight the (un)deadness?
Maybe it'll play off that and go for something of a muscled zombie look.

Suit Geese is cool, but doesn't quite have that overpowering nightmarish feel to it, it's more an "I'm not even gonna bother changing into combat garb to deal with you" look.

Tripon

Possibly old but

Cm-nM_TWAAA42iZ.jpg

Urgh, training stage affects another game.

Pompadour

Urgh, training stage affects another game.

I had an idea for fighting games I wish was implemented.

Essentially, there would be no training stage but the little grid would be overlayed on any regular stage. Maybe background elements would stop animating to be less distracting. So essentially if you're waiting for a match in training mode, the grid drops and you play on that stage. When it ends, the grid reappears so you don't have to load back into training.

The only reason I can think of why two online players can't play on different stages is one stage may have more lag than the other. Which is to say it would still be an issue in any new Capcom fighter.

Vyse24

Nightmare Geese will probably get shown off on Thursday with the South Town reveal.

How many games now use that kind of background for the training stage? Of the top of my head, I know SF4, SFxT, TvC, SF5 and now this.

TreIII

Didn't Nightmare Geese's player 2 palette in RBS (and I think in KoF2002UM?) have purple skin to highlight the (un)deadness?
Maybe it'll play off that and go for something of a muscled zombie look.

That's what I would hope. Purple skinned Undead Geese would be nice to see again, after all these years.

Tizoc

^Hey kids remember the glory days of ZOMBIE IORI? AND ZOMBIE EVERYBDOY?!
Good times~

I appreciate SNK actually giving me second thoughts about Sylvie
but I still want her design to be tossed in a volcano

Hyun Sai

Nightmare Geese will probably get shown off on Thursday with the South Town reveal.

How many games now use that kind of background for the training stage? Of the top of my head, I know SF4, SFxT, TvC, SF5 and now this.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 lab stage ?

hqdefault.jpg

BadWolf

It's nice that they are accommodating players who may not want to learn 3 characters or prefer 1v1. 1v1 online and party battle was good thinking.

On a side note, Oda said that Ramon was created by a huge wrestling fan. He also mentioned on stage that Hein is very popular with Japanese ladies.

Piccoro

Found it: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...heme/cid=EP4062-CUSA05461_00-ETH0000000000488

Wasn't easy... in the process of poking around the site, I found these for the PS3 mostly based on XIII which I used to have, and only ever discovered through the store itself back in the day:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ghters|bucket~games:game_content_type~themes|

So this first link doesn't work anymore. I was able to get the dynamic theme from the Portuguese store before they pulled it.
But maybe this was the pre-order theme and now I feel bad because I got it for free... :/

0boIu3k.png

TreIII

On a side note, Oda said that Ramon was created by a huge wrestling fan. He also mentioned on stage that Hein is very popular with Japanese ladies.

Hein being a popular pick with ladies was something that I believed was picked up at a recent Japanese test event a month or so ago. Not surprising, but I always thought it was interesting that they ended up putting such a guy on Geese's squad and playing against Howard's usual "type" for teammates or who he chooses to go do his bidding in a KOF tournament. Maybe they thought that Geese needed a "good-looking guy" on his team and didn't want to use Kain R. unnecessarily.

BadWolf

Hein being a popular pick with ladies was something that I believed was picked up at a recent Japanese test event a month or so ago. Not surprising, but I always thought it was interesting that they ended up putting such a guy on Geese's squad and playing against Howard's usual "type" for teammates or who he chooses to go do his bidding in a KOF tournament. Maybe they thought that Geese needed a "good-looking guy" on his team and didn't want to use Kain R. unnecessarily.

Doesn't sound like Kain's story would jive with Geese, though if he were to appear in a KOF then Geese's team is the last place I would expect to see him.

Hein is a nice contrast to Geese and Billy in both character and design. Wonder if there is any significance to his name (Kain, and Rock's mom's, last name is Heinlein).

Loona

Ramon is a walking wrestling reference, but it always weirds me out how his moves seem to lack impact, probably because they're based on stuff meant to look good and flashy in the arena, not to have actual weight to hurt. The tiger roars are a cool touch, at least, and the rest of his XIV team makes up for the impact factor.

I still remember the fangirl tweets about Hein on the day of that location test... by all means SNK, indulge the ladies, success on all fronts!

Maybe they thought that Geese needed a "good-looking guy" on his team and didn't want to use Kain R. unnecessarily.

Kain's his in-law, and that's rarely a relation that works well... not that KoF doesn't have a history of teaming up characters who have issues with each other...

butman

Dam i need this game! August can't come soon enough!

I wasn't this excited for a beat em up game since KOF '98 was released.

PSqueak

Banned
Off topic, but came across this today, is a fun summary of KoF's story.

http://glux2.tumblr.com/post/147162001768/all-right-i-wasnt-going-to-do-this-but-i

When i am home in 10ish hours time i making a thread about this
Dont nobody make a new thread about this til then

It's pretty good lol.

I knew everything went to shit with KoF99.

Aaaaw! Thank you everyone, im glad you liked my work, i actually made this as per request after a similar one i made regarding Dictator M. Bison from street fighter.

Kinda messed up on the cosplayer Kyoko bit regarding the colors, but I guess that's a by-product of using random artwork, fanart and screenshots.

I recall her default being pink in 2000 but that was 16 yeas ago, lol, mostly did what i thought would be funnier.

it needs to be more like the KH guide

That was more or less my aim.

Ramon is a walking wrestling reference, but it always weirds me out how his moves seem to lack impact, probably because they're based on stuff meant to look good and flashy in the arena, not to have actual weight to hurt. The tiger roars are a cool touch, at least, and the rest of his XIV team makes up for the impact factor.

I wonder if Ramon's similarities with mexican luchadores Shocker and Pirata Morgan are intentional or just a happy coincidence.

fkSclZu.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
I wonder if Ramon's similarities with mexican luchadores Shocker and Pirata Morgan are intentional or just a happy coincidence.

fkSclZu.jpg

His design and lore takes from many actual luchaodres, his stage name is a parody of Blue Demon and he does orphan charity like Fray Tormenta too. So it's pretty much intentional.

Tizoc

Oh that's you PSqueak? There are a few typos in it but otherwise good work, it was a fun read.
Heaven help you if you try to make one for the Mishima family though XP

PSqueak

Banned
Oh that's you PSqueak? There are a few typos in it but otherwise good work, it was a fun read.
Heaven help you if you try to make one for the Mishima family though XP

Man, people are actually asking for it, but unfortunately im not knowledgeable on Tekken lore hahaha, im tempted to research just to do it, but it wouldn't be the same or as funny as doing these from memory.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
is it just a simple demo, i really think they should be doing an open beta to test their netcode and ensure its the best it can be

A netcode-focused beta after the game has gone gold and is in production wouldn't mean as much, though. I guess it could get us day one patches to adjust some settings, but it's not going to totally rebuild or configure the code entirely.

After the final game code reaches the wild and gets real stress, we'll see how they go from there. I'd love for them to totally blow away our expectations, and end up with something Killer Instinct like (which normally feels better for me than anything else released on console.)

The point of a demo now, I'd wager, is to get the "playing is believing" crowd on board. Let people know it feels like a KOF, and see all those details people claim YouTube totally destroys VS seeing it with your own eyes.

It'd be great if their next fighter could have a beta that's as updated as trailers have been for this game; imagine getting new network code, characters, or stages to play around with on a weekly ~ monthly basis.

Beckx

He also mentioned on stage that Hein is very popular with Japanese ladies.

Hein's appeal is too great to be limited by gender or sexuality. He adjusts his glasses and I'm swooning too.

It'd be great if their next fighter could have a beta that's as updated as trailers have been for this game; imagine getting new network code, characters, or stages to play around with on a weekly ~ monthly basis.

early access KoF, the dream

the ongoing Skullgirls beta was incredible while the DLC for that game was in process.

TreIII

Doesn't sound like Kain's story would jive with Geese, though if he were to appear in a KOF then Geese's team is the last place I would expect to see him.

Kain's his in-law, and that's rarely a relation that works well... not that KoF doesn't have a history of teaming up characters who have issues with each other...

I mean, yeah, it's all just "theory lorecrafting" at this point, but I imagine that if they took Kain from when he was still largely an errand boy at a time when Geese was still in full power, it could shed some light on their mutual relationship. Or perhaps just showcase how things might have been different if they had interacted earlier on. I'd perhaps be more worried about the "timelines" matching, but then again, there's old boy Tizoc/King Dino masquerading at what seems to be his late 20s, again.

But I guess since he's so intricate to Rock's storyline, he's likely going to get the same treatment as Rock himself when it comes to Rock continuing to be a no-show. Which is sad, because I'd love to see Grant show up some day in KOF, too (and perhaps avoid his apparent death).

Top Bottom